PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Smoking Laws

Jeremy
04-21-2008, 05:15 PM
Now that we've established what everyone thinks about gun control laws, I'm curious to see where everyone comes down in the debate on anti-smoking laws.

Thoughts?

MACH1
04-21-2008, 05:41 PM
It depends. Most all public places is good to ban smoking, but bars it shouldn't be. IMO You have to be 21 to get in the front door and your not there for your health in the first place. Its not a place to take the whole family out for a fun time.

millwalldavey
04-21-2008, 06:09 PM
I personally think smoking is a disgusting habit and I do not like being around people when they are smoking.

That said, if someone wants to smoke, it's thier right and I can just leave the area.

PisnNapalm
04-21-2008, 06:42 PM
I don't care if you smoke.... if you don't exhale.

I hate it. Filthy farking disgusting obnoxious suicidal habit.

I've seen 2 people rot from lung cancer. I grew up in a family where everyone one but me smoked. I paid my dues and earned the right to speak my mind on it.

If I could push a button and then everyone who smoked just disappeared... I would push it in a heartbeat. I hate it that much.

I hate when the person driving in front of me is smoking and it wafts through my vents and into my car. I despise it each time I see a smoker flick their butt to the ground. I loathe walking into the building where I work because the ground is absolutely covered with butts.

I chewed out my mother this past weekend when she came to visit. She forgot and actually lit one up inside my house.

I hate it. I hate it. I hate it.

I hate the money that people waste on this foul addiction. Money that could be spent on food, clothes, or other necessities. Money that could be saved for something important.

I hate the added expense to my health care coverage caused by all the illnesses faced by smokers.

Did I mention that I hate smoking? Have you ever watched someone you loved gasping for air? You see their chest working so hard for each breath and yet their lungs just can't provide the oxygen they need. Even though they are breathing from a mask providing pure oxygen, their lungs just can't do it any longer. It is a very slow, painful, torturous way to die.

Want to know my solution to smoking? I see it this way. Smoking is a 50 - 50 proposition. It kills 50% of those who smoke. So... Each smoker is forced to play Russian Roulette with a 6 shot revolver that has 3 rounds loaded into it. If you survive then you've earned the right to smoke. If you die then that's too damn bad. You chose to chance it.

For those of you who smoke and want to quit... I hope you find the will power to quit. For your sake and those you love.

For those of you who don't care and will smoke anyway... I despise you for what you do to yourself and inflict upon others.

I know I just pissed off alot of you and I don't give a damn. I earned it.

silver & black
04-21-2008, 07:12 PM

I've seen 2 people rot from lung cancer. I grew up in a family where everyone one but me smoked. I paid my dues and earned the right to speak my mind on it.

If I could push a button and then everyone who smoked just disappeared... I would push it in a heartbeat. I hate it that much.

I hate when the person driving in front of me is smoking and it wafts through my vents and into my car. I despise it each time I see a smoker flick their butt to the ground. I loathe walking into the building where I work because the ground is absolutely covered with butts.

I chewed out my mother this past weekend when she came to visit. She forgot and actually lit one up inside my house.

I hate the money that people waste on this foul addiction. Money that could be spent on food, clothes, or other necessities. Money that could be saved for something important.

I hate the added expense to my health care coverage caused by all the illnesses faced by smokers.

Did I mention that I hate smoking? Have you ever watched someone you loved gasping for air? You see their chest working so hard for each breath and yet their lungs just can't provide the oxygen they need. Even though they are breathing from a mask providing pure oxygen, their lungs just can't do it any longer. It is a very slow, painful, torturous way to die.

Want to know my solution to smoking? I see it this way. Smoking is a 50 - 50 proposition. It kills 50% of those who smoke. So... Each smoker is forced to play Russian Roulette with a 6 shot revolver that has 3 rounds loaded into it. If you survive then you've earned the right to smoke. If you die then that's too damn bad. You chose to chance it.

For those of you who smoke and want to quit... I hope you find the will power to quit. For your sake and those you love.

For those of you who don't care and will smoke anyway... I despise you for what you do to yourself and inflict upon others.

I agree with you 100%!

I too, have earned the right to bitch about the vile, filthy habbit.
I watched my father die a slow, agonizing death from COPD, emphysema, and Chronic Bronchitis. I watched my uncle die from lung cancer. I watched my father in law die from lung cancer and emphysema.

I absolutely hate and despise smoking!

Polamalu Princess
04-21-2008, 07:43 PM
My thought's - live and let live.

Jeremy
04-21-2008, 07:47 PM

Interesting. I never figured you for a facist.

Jeremy
04-21-2008, 07:48 PM
I've seen two intelligent responses in this thread and one person who seems to be conflicted about their view of personal freedom.

Very interesting.

silver & black
04-21-2008, 08:00 PM
I've seen two intelligent responses in this thread and one person who seems to be conflicted about their view of personal freedom.

Very interesting.

"Intelligent response" is very subjective when discussing a topic like this. I would suppose your view would depend directly on how smoking has affected you and your loved ones.

Did you start this thread so you could call people who respond "facits"?

How is it that you get to decide what is an intelligent response, and what is not?

PisnNapalm
04-21-2008, 08:53 PM
I don't think my response was so much intelligent as emotional. I obsess about smoking and the filth it pollutes our air with. If looks could kill I'd be a daily serial killer of smokers.

I watched and tried to comfort my father as he slowly died from lung cancer and emphysema. It's an excruciating death and I hated him for making me endure it with him.

Did you know that it is healthier for you to suck on the tail pipe of your car than to smoke? There are fewer toxins and carcinogens in automobile exhaust than there are in a cigarette?

Ever wonder how many tons of pollution enter our air from smokers? I wonder.... I haven't found a stat yet but it's gotta be huge. Think about how much a pack of cigarettes weighs before you open it. Compare that to how much it weighs after you're done. The difference is what's turned to ash and smoke.

Lastly.... You called me a fascist. Far far from it. I'll take the rights of people who want to breathe clean pure air over drug addicted suicidal masochists anyday.

Have you ever smoked in a confined space with people who don't smoke? Say... young children stuck with you in a car? Even if you crack a window the rest of the car is still subjected to your cancer causing pollution.

You want my stance on anti-smoking laws...? I think anyone caught smoking should be forced to breathe nothing but smoke until they croak. Put them in a small room and pump it full until they keel over.

I hate it with all the anger and revulsion I can muster.

HometownGal
04-21-2008, 09:00 PM
It depends. Most all public places is good to ban smoking, but bars it shouldn't be. IMO You have to be 21 to get in the front door and your not there for your health in the first place. Its not a place to take the whole family out for a fun time.

Good post MACH and I totally agree. :thumbsup: I have no problem with banning smoking in public places as long as those establishments, facilities, etc. provide an area outside where smokers (whose money spends just as well as non-smokers) can go to indulge.

As for you smoking Nazi's who bitch and moan about cigarette smoke that you have the option of getting yourself away from, I hope you feel the same way about those who slurp, slobber and drink themselves into a stupor and then get behind the wheel of a car and kill or maim some unsuspecting and innocent person who didn't have the same option as you as far as removing themselves from the danger.

PisnNapalm
04-21-2008, 09:09 PM
I'm a fascist and a Nazi. Woohoo!

When I was a kid I didn't have the option of getting away from my parents while we were in car. I'd ask them to atleast roll down a window but often was told "No." because it was too cold or the air conditioner was on or mom didn't want to mess up her hair.... etc. I used to crack the window in back and stick my nose to it like a profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfiltering dog so I could breathe.

Ever think about smoking from a child's point of view?

And believe me I did my best to avoid the smoke when I was a kid. I would leave the room or get down off of dad's lap whenever he lit up. I have always hated it.

fansince'76
04-21-2008, 09:18 PM
Well, for me, I support the no smoking laws. I had my last cigarette on January 6th of this year (after smoking for almost 25 years), and have held strong so far. The more roadblocks I have in my way (having to go outside, 150 feet away from building, etc.) the better. I'll always be a recovering smoker, much like a recovering alcoholic will always be in recovery. The more of a pain in the ass it is to have a cig, the less likely I am to go back to it. :thumbsup:

Jeremy
04-21-2008, 09:18 PM
Good post MACH and I totally agree. :thumbsup: I have no problem with banning smoking in public places as long as those establishments, facilities, etc. provide an area outside where smokers (whose money spends just as well as non-smokers) can go to indulge.

As for you smoking Nazi's who bitch and moan about cigarette smoke that you have the option of getting yourself away from, I hope you feel the same way about those who slurp, slobber and drink themselves into a stupor and then get behind the wheel of a car and kill or maim some unsuspecting and innocent person who didn't have the same option as you as far as removing themselves from the danger.

At least someone has some common sense.

And no, I didn't start the thread to call anyone any names. But it's downright funny that one of the people who's so anti-gun control is also the same guy who wants to take away cigarettes from people.

You can't be in favor of personal freedom on one issue and be against it another. It just doesn't work that way.

PisnNapalm
04-21-2008, 09:49 PM
Me shooting my guns at the gun range does not in any way affect the health of people around me, unless of course they blow smoke in my face. :flap:

No one ever asked me when I was a kid if I wanted to or didn't want to breathe in their smoke. I was never given a choice and I'm still pissed about it.

Goodnight.

Godfather
04-21-2008, 10:28 PM
Me shooting my guns at the gun range does not in any way affect the health of people around me, unless of course they blow smoke in my face. :flap:

No one ever asked me when I was a kid if I wanted to or didn't want to breathe in their smoke. I was never given a choice and I'm still pissed about it.

Goodnight.

Louisiana passed a law recently making it illegal to smoke if you have a minor in the car with you. I agree with that.

Bars and restaurants should decide for themselves--and the ones that allow smoking should be required to pay higher workers comp premiums. If a nonsmoker gets sick with smoking-related illnesses it's because of secondhand smoke.

MACH1
04-21-2008, 10:34 PM

And no, I didn't start the thread to call anyone any names. But it's downright funny that one of the people who's so anti-gun control is also the same guy who wants to take away cigarettes from people.

You can't be in favor of personal freedom on one issue and be against it another. It just doesn't work that way.

Where in this thread did I say I was going to take away anyones smokes. Just like the gun ownership its my choice, not someone else's. Spin away. :jerkit:

Preacher
04-22-2008, 12:35 AM
The only time ones rights should be hindered... is when it affects someone elses rights.

Thus, If someone wants to smoke a cigarette... pipe, cigar.. go ahead... as long as the smoke (which IS proven to cause cancer, not to mention asthma in children) only affects those who want to smoke it. So, you wanna smoke in your car, your home, outside in a smoking area? No problem. enclosed public buildings? I gotta draw the line there.

BTW... Gun control... well, it doesn't affect anyone else whether I carry a gun or not. So gun control has nothing to do with this.

And until I moved here, I enjoyed a pipe or a cigar once in a while.

stlrtruck
04-22-2008, 07:50 AM
My dad use to smoke and when I was about 8 years old I took a cig, snuck out the house, and lit up. Eventually my dad stopped smoking but when I was 18 - I started and smoked on and off for the next 12 years. Eventually, I decided to quit and find a healthier means of living and dealing wth stress.

And while I think smoking is a nasty habit, I also understand the addiction (and for those who think it's not an addiction, you're in denile). However, I don't think I should be subject to smelling it, enhaling it, or have it attached to my clothes when I'm in more public places. And while I don't mind companies offering smoking areas, I get disgusted when the smokers can't even pick up their own cigarette butts or put them in the ash can that's less than 5 feet away from them - it does present an ugly appearance.

It's also funny that after I quit smoking, the smell of a cig made me sick to my stomach. And when you see a beautiful woman and you start approaching her and then see her lite up - it's a total turn-off.

tony hipchest
04-22-2008, 08:37 AM
i gave up smoking cold turkey...

now i only smoke boiled ham. :flap:

i cant believe april 20th (4-20) has passed and we didnt have a LEGALIZE IT thread on the pros and cons of wacky tobaccy.

seriously, i gave up the cigs once but then my herion addiction shot through the roof :sofunny:

Jeremy
04-22-2008, 09:01 AM
Where in this thread did I say I was going to take away anyones smokes. Just like the gun ownership its my choice, not someone else's. Spin away. :jerkit:

Once again......I wasn't talking to you!

HometownGal
04-22-2008, 09:29 AM
My dad use to smoke and when I was about 8 years old I took a cig, snuck out the house, and lit up. Eventually my dad stopped smoking but when I was 18 - I started and smoked on and off for the next 12 years. Eventually, I decided to quit and find a healthier means of living and dealing wth stress.

Kudos to you for kicking the habit! And to you too, Gary! :drink::thumbsup: I'm still trying to get off of them for good and you're right, stlrtruck - it is an addiction and a very powerful addiction at that. No doubt about it.

I get disgusted when the smokers can't even pick up their own cigarette butts or put them in the ash can that's less than 5 feet away from them - it does present an ugly appearance.

Totally agree. It's called laziness and disregard for others' property.

It's also funny that after I quit smoking, the smell of a cig made me sick to my stomach. And when you see a beautiful woman and you start approaching her and then see her lite up - it's a total turn-off

You feel the same way about beautiful women smoking as I do about hot men who are drunk - LOL! Ash tray breath smells, most definitely, but stale booze on the breath is just as nauseating. :yuck:

MACH1
04-22-2008, 10:18 AM
Once again......I wasn't talking to you!

:yawn::smoker::smoker::yawn:

Dino 6 Rings
04-22-2008, 10:20 AM
Ok, Smoker who quit that started again.

As long as the Product is legal, people should be able to smoke. As for the Government passing laws where you can and can't smoke, I have to agree in part. I mean, you can't drink beer in a school, you can't drink and drive, so there is a precedent for "banning" smoking in certain areas. However, I also feel that if a Bar owner wants to have a "smoking allowed" establishment, he should be able to. Maybe he'd have higher insurance, or have to pay a fee for such an establishment, but there is a market for that type of business to open, especially with the smoking ban in place.

Is smoking gross, yeah. But so is eating too much, drinking too much, not showering, but are we going to allow the government to regulate everything? that's what I don't want. I'm not a fan of the "government" passing laws. Let the people decide by vote first, which for the most part, they do vote to pass smoking bans. Yet, we should allow for some places to allow smoking as their marketing tool.

This is going to lead to bans, in all public places, which is basically anywhere that isn't your own home. So parks, the street downtown, the door out behind your favorite bar that you have to go out to catch a smoke, all those places will be banned a well. I know the anti-smokers would be all for that, but remember, the product is still LEGAL, and the person smoking isn't breaking the law, unless you pass a New Law that makes his or her behavior illegal. Which is kind of like changing the rules during the game.

tony hipchest
04-22-2008, 10:48 AM
im still floored when i fly on a plane, and see the little spots in the arm rest where the ashtrays used to be.

i was born in an air force base hospital where you could request a smoking room in the maternity ward.

how things have changed.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-22-2008, 11:56 AM

Not taking either side of the smoking issue...but the last statement you made is false.

I am for personal freedom of religion
I am against the personal freedom to sell your body for sex
I am for the personal freedom to choose or not choose to own a gun
I am against the personal freedom to kill unborn children.

The dictates of ones own conscious withing the realm of law are the deciding factor as to what personal freedoms one may keep and implement.

It is allowable to be against abortion..and for gun control, or vise-versa...It "does work that way".

stlrtruck
04-22-2008, 12:10 PM
Ok, Smoker who quit that started again.

As long as the Product is legal, people should be able to smoke. As for the Government passing laws where you can and can't smoke, I have to agree in part. I mean, you can't drink beer in a school, you can't drink and drive, so there is a precedent for "banning" smoking in certain areas. However, I also feel that if a Bar owner wants to have a "smoking allowed" establishment, he should be able to. Maybe he'd have higher insurance, or have to pay a fee for such an establishment, but there is a market for that type of business to open, especially with the smoking ban in place.

Is smoking gross, yeah. But so is eating too much, drinking too much, not showering, but are we going to allow the government to regulate everything? that's what I don't want. I'm not a fan of the "government" passing laws. Let the people decide by vote first, which for the most part, they do vote to pass smoking bans. Yet, we should allow for some places to allow smoking as their marketing tool.

This is going to lead to bans, in all public places, which is basically anywhere that isn't your own home. So parks, the street downtown, the door out behind your favorite bar that you have to go out to catch a smoke, all those places will be banned a well. I know the anti-smokers would be all for that, but remember, the product is still LEGAL, and the person smoking isn't breaking the law, unless you pass a New Law that makes his or her behavior illegal. Which is kind of like changing the rules during the game.

If I recall the law correctly, in the state of FL, a bar may allow smoking if they make less than 25% of their profit from food items. So basically if you sale just a basic, and I mean real basic, menu items, and drop a ton of booze on sales, then you can allow smoking.

But you're right, their should be establishments allowed for the owners to decide if smoking should be allowed....my only addendum is post a sign outside so I know before I walk in and am hammered by the fog and haze of smoke (same with non-smoking establishments). Then I as a consumer can decide what I want and not what the government tells me is ok.

And does anyone find it funny that our government can tell us what is ok but yet they themselves can not abide by the very same laws. I remember years ago hearing stories of those in DC having thousands of dollars in NSF check fees, parking tickets, etc. and yet no one was going after them - but let me do it and it's time to call out the National Guard.

Jeremy
04-22-2008, 12:28 PM
Not taking either side of the smoking issue...but the last statement you made is false.

I am for personal freedom of religion
I am against the personal freedom to sell your body for sex
I am for the personal freedom to choose or not choose to own a gun
I am against the personal freedom to kill unborn children.

The dictates of ones own conscious withing the realm of law are the deciding factor as to what personal freedoms one may keep and implement.

It is allowable to be against abortion..and for gun control, or vise-versa...It "does work that way".

Fair enough. I see how this issue causes the issue of personal freedom to become very complicated.

HometownGal
04-22-2008, 02:58 PM

As I said above, I pretty much agree with banning smoking in public establishments and buildings. I also agree with not smoking in your car if a child is a passenger, but that is just common sense (and courtesy). However, smokers still have the option of catching a smoke in their cars in the parking lots of these establishments so it isn't all that bad (provided that they don't litter the parking lot with butts). :chuckle:

silver & black
04-22-2008, 03:34 PM
I don't think my response was so much intelligent as emotional. I obsess about smoking and the filth it pollutes our air with. If looks could kill I'd be a daily serial killer of smokers.

I watched and tried to comfort my father as he slowly died from lung cancer and emphysema. It's an excruciating death and I hated him for making me endure it with him.

Did you know that it is healthier for you to suck on the tail pipe of your car than to smoke? There are fewer toxins and carcinogens in automobile exhaust than there are in a cigarette?

Ever wonder how many tons of pollution enter our air from smokers? I wonder.... I haven't found a stat yet but it's gotta be huge. Think about how much a pack of cigarettes weighs before you open it. Compare that to how much it weighs after you're done. The difference is what's turned to ash and smoke.

Lastly.... You called me a fascist. Far far from it. I'll take the rights of people who want to breathe clean pure air over drug addicted suicidal masochists anyday.

Have you ever smoked in a confined space with people who don't smoke? Say... young children stuck with you in a car? Even if you crack a window the rest of the car is still subjected to your cancer causing pollution.

You want my stance on anti-smoking laws...? I think anyone caught smoking should be forced to breathe nothing but smoke until they croak. Put them in a small room and pump it full until they keel over.

:cheers:

Thank you. I never thought I would find another person that felt as strongly about it as I do.

HometownGal
04-22-2008, 04:25 PM
Anyone for a stogey or a schmoke? :wink02: :chuckle:

http://www.spotlitemagic.com/spotlitemagic/images/itemslarge/701.jpg

Preacher
04-22-2008, 04:28 PM
As I said above, I pretty much agree with banning smoking in public establishments and buildings. I also agree with not smoking in your car if a child is a passenger, but that is just common sense (and courtesy). However, smokers still have the option of catching a smoke in their cars in the parking lots of these establishments so it isn't all that bad (provided that they don't litter the parking lot with butts). :chuckle:

Well.. we completely agree.

So how about Kordell Stewart as our best franchise QB ever? :noidea:

:wink02:

msafford
04-22-2008, 04:29 PM
On June 25th, it will have been a year since I quit smoking. I'm glad that I was able to quit on my own terms, and not because I HAD too. I really didn't struggle with quitting, surprisingly enough. Of course, I'm a stubborn bastard....just ask my ex-wife. :flap:

This is (obviously) a very touchy subject of which I have my own personal views. I'm, and I honestly mean this, truly sorry for those of you that have suffered personal loss and tragedy at the hands of smoking. I completely understand why you'd have a very strong view point against smoking in general.

That being said, I have to say I'm not against certain establishments allowing smoking....such as bars. Restaurants, other public places? no...but honestly....if someone is going to smoke, I feel like a hypocrite saying....how dare they...having smoked for 10+ years myself. Will I always feel this way? I honestly couldn't say. maybe in 10 more years, I'll feel the way some of you do. Smoke doesn't bother me...yet. I also understand just how incredibly powerful of an addiction it is.

Ahhh....the offseason.

HometownGal
04-22-2008, 04:40 PM
Well.. we completely agree.

So how about Kordell Stewart as our best franchise QB ever? :noidea:

:wink02:

Nahhhhh. It was Mark Malone. :chuckle:

Godfather
04-22-2008, 06:50 PM
Nahhhhh. It was Mark Malone. :chuckle:

No love for Bubby Brister??

HometownGal
04-22-2008, 07:14 PM
No love for Bubby Brister??

Bubby will always hold a very special place in my :heart:

MACH1
04-22-2008, 07:36 PM
And all this time I thought it was Cliff Stoudt.

SteelersMongol
04-22-2008, 09:43 PM
I HATE SMOKING. The thread is like a scratching where it itches. I would support all those who r 4 smoking ban. But cituation in the states is not bad as here. U guys at least have non-smoking sections in pubs & restaurants. But us ... well let's just say it's just sucks 2 back at "home" but can't enjoy really enjoy everything.

I tell smokers that I know, (thank God no one smokes in my family, except my father-in-law who doesn't listen 2 anyone cuz he's a self-made :wink02:) 2 quit, but they look at me like I was out from the space. They think I'm saying that cuz I hate them, noy because I cared about them. :noidea: Now I started telling them lately that it's easier 2 just get a knife & plunge into your lungs than 2 go through slow painful death of lung cancer.

...Want to know my solution to smoking? I see it this way. Smoking is a 50 - 50 proposition. It kills 50% of those who smoke. So... Each smoker is forced to play Russian Roulette with a 6 shot revolver that has 3 rounds loaded into it. If you survive then you've earned the right to smoke. If you die then that's too damn bad. You chose to chance it.

For those of you who don't care and will smoke anyway... I despise you for what you do to yourself and inflict upon others...

Ha ha ha. I feel the same way. I'm with U on this 102.5%. Now I can offer a new solution 2 those who smoke. Thanks. :thumbsup:

... You want my stance on anti-smoking laws...? I think anyone caught smoking should be forced to breathe nothing but smoke until they croak. Put them in a small room and pump it full until they keel over.

I cannot believe actually there is someone who's been thinking exact same thing when it comes 2 smokers.

Agreed. I KNOW they have the right 2 KILL THEMSELVES this way, but the problem that I have is they're gonna take us with them, some with intention, some r not. Some don't care even care. Well how they're gonna care about us, when they don't even care about their infant child. :doh:

My dad use to smoke and when I was about 8 years old I took a cig, snuck out the house, and lit up. Eventually my dad stopped smoking but when I was 18 - I started and smoked on and off for the next 12 years. Eventually, I decided to quit and find a healthier means of living and dealing wth stress...

It's also funny that after I quit smoking, the smell of a cig made me sick to my stomach. And when you see a beautiful woman and you start approaching her and then see her lite up - it's a total turn-off.

It's a wise thing 2 quit, my applauds. :applaudit: & U'r apsolutely right about the beautiful women who smoke. It's a such a turn off.

HometownGal
04-22-2008, 09:54 PM
Agreed. I KNOW they have the right 2 KILL THEMSELVES this way, but the problem that I have is they're gonna take us with them, some with intention, some r not. Some don't care even care. Well how they're gonna care about us, when they don't even care about their infant child. :doh:

The same goes for those who indulge in alcohol. Sadly, though, many drunk drivers take the lives of those who never saw it coming. I've always felt and continue to feel that if they are going to ban one evil (smoking), they should ban the other (alcohol). Sorry.

I wish I had never picked up a cigarette when I was a teenager, but I did and it is pure HELL quitting. As stlrtruck so correctly stated above, it is an addiction and one that is very difficult to break. It isn't impossible - I've done it several times - but the mental dependency on nicotine is very hard to detach yourself from. If you've never smoked, you won't understand nor do I expect you to, but those who presently smoke or ever have smoked will understand totally.

stlrtruck
04-23-2008, 07:31 AM
Bubby will always hold a very special place in my :heart:

And in the lake outside what was Three Rivers Stadium. :banging: :toofunny: :hatsoff:

HometownGal
04-23-2008, 07:37 AM
And in the lake outside what was Three Rivers Stadium. :banging: :toofunny: :hatsoff:

:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

Counselor
04-23-2008, 10:01 AM
Interesting topic.

I for one am very suprised at what an emotional issue this is. I understand some have lost loved ones from smoking, and I respect your views, but I disagree.
I am not a smoker (although I have been known to (very) occasionally bum a cigarette from a friend in a bar).

I'm "live and let live" on this issue. I respect people's personal freedom to smoke---though I don't like to sit in a cloud when I eat or I am out in most public places. (I'm torn about bars (see why above;)---I think the "free market" would work this out without legislation)

Whatever people want to do on their own time in their own space is their own business, and I get very indignant when people want to "scold" smokers for their "habit"/"addiction." Whether they continue to smoke is not my business or yours. As far as I'm concerned we all do a lot of things in our lives that could be considered dangerous and could kill us now or later---driving our cars, being outside in a thunderstorm, eating junk food, drinking alcohol.

The fact is, life is not safe, and I'm feeling a little bit claustrophobic about people wanting to take away my freedoms in the name of my own "safety". Its a slippery slope once that starts. I guess I sound a bit like a Liberatarian---but so be it.

Jeremy
04-23-2008, 10:54 AM
Interesting topic.

I for one am very suprised at what an emotional issue this is. I understand some have lost loved ones from smoking, and I respect your views, but I disagree.
I am not a smoker (although I have been known to (very) occasionally bum a cigarette from a friend in a bar).

I'm "live and let live" on this issue. I respect people's personal freedom to smoke---though I don't like to sit in a cloud when I eat or I am out in most public places. (I'm torn about bars (see why above;)---I think the "free market" would work this out without legislation)

Whatever people want to do on their own time in their own space is their own business, and I get very indignant when people want to "scold" smokers for their "habit"/"addiction." Whether they continue to smoke is not my business or yours. As far as I'm concerned we all do a lot of things in our lives that could be considered dangerous and could kill us now or later---driving our cars, being outside in a thunderstorm, eating junk food, drinking alcohol.

The fact is, life is not safe, and I'm feeling a little bit claustrophobic about people wanting to take away my freedoms in the name of my own "safety". Its a slippery slope once that starts. I guess I sound a bit like a Liberatarian---but so be it.

Exellent post.

I'd add that the people who want to scold smokers should also scold drinkers, people who eat red meat, people who are overweight, people who play competative intermural sports, etc.

Dino 6 Rings
04-23-2008, 11:18 AM
Exellent post.

I'd add that the people who want to scold smokers should also scold drinkers, people who eat red meat, people who are overweight, people who play competative intermural sports, etc.

Agreed, it was a great post.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-23-2008, 11:19 AM
Exellent post.

Unless a drinker spills on you....
a person eating red meat farts on you...
an overweight person sits on you...
or a intramural sportman spikes a ball into your face....
I'm not sure if I follow the comparison to having to breath another persons second hand smoke.:hunch:

HometownGal
04-23-2008, 11:23 AM
Unless a drinker spills on you....
a person eating red meat farts on you...
an overweight person sits on you...
or a intramural sportman spikes a ball into your face....
I'm not sure if I follow the comparison to having to breath another persons second hand smoke.:hunch:

You don't HAVE to breathe a smoker's second hand smoke. How hard is it to get up and walk away from it? :noidea:

"Unless a drinker spills on you"?? Perry - please tell me that you recognize the dangers, not only to the consumer but to everyone else, of drinking alcohol.

Dino 6 Rings
04-23-2008, 11:24 AM
A drunk could crash into me and kill me. An overweight person is a burden for society, they eat more than their share, they abuse the medical system with their constant visits to the doctor (not all, but most). Sure, 2nd hand smoke is bad, and as I've stated earlier, having the option to not go to the bar, where you'd get 2nd hand smoke is YOUR choice as well. Allowing a bar owner to decide to be smoke free or a smoking establishment should be driven by the market. Until the product is made illegal, the users have the right to use it. Should they smoke around their kids? No, but they shouldn't drink around them either, shouldn't over eat around them, or create future overweightness problems by condoning over eating to their children.

But to ban Smoking everywhere, including Open Air parks, that's just ridiculous. You won't get cancer if a guy 20 feet away in a park is smoking a cigarette.

HometownGal
04-23-2008, 11:48 AM
A drunk could crash into me and kill me. An overweight person is a burden for society, they eat more than their share, they abuse the medical system with their constant visits to the doctor (not all, but most). Sure, 2nd hand smoke is bad, and as I've stated earlier, having the option to not go to the bar, where you'd get 2nd hand smoke is YOUR choice as well. Allowing a bar owner to decide to be smoke free or a smoking establishment should be driven by the market. Until the product is made illegal, the users have the right to use it. Should they smoke around their kids? No, but they shouldn't drink around them either, shouldn't over eat around them, or create future overweightness problems by condoning over eating to their children.

But to ban Smoking everywhere, including Open Air parks, that's just ridiculous. You won't get cancer if a guy 20 feet away in a park is smoking a cigarette.

Great post, Dino. :thumbsup:

I've had sinus cancer twice in the past 12 years and believe it or not, the cancer was not caused by smoking cigarettes. I've had numerous physicians, ENT specialists (my current doc who I would (and did) trust with my life), and oncologists tell me that sinus cancers are mainly contracted by painters, woodworkers, crafters, etc. I did a lot of crafting years ago and inhaled a lot of hot glue fumes and a few months before I was diagnosed the first time, I lived in a townhome where the air conditioner leaked freon, though I asked my landlord numerous times to fix the leak and instead, he had his brother-in-law just pump in more freon. :banging: I'm a firm believer, as are my docs, that cancer is a pre-disposed condition based on each person's genetic makeup.

I was an extremely considerate smoker and always asked those who rode in my car if they minded if I smoked (with the window open, of course). If they had an objection, I didn't smoke. I never smoked in anyone's home who didn't smoke and had one room in my home that I limited to smoking. If visitors to my home didn't want to be around my smoke, they knew to stay away from that room! :chuckle:

Jeremy
04-23-2008, 12:00 PM

Exactly.

steelreserve
04-23-2008, 12:22 PM
Man, you guys would have fun in California. Not only did they ban smoking in any building open to the public (including bars) about 10 years ago -- now, a lot of cities are passing laws that say you can't smoke within 25 feet of a doorway. Which, of course, includes 99 percent of all sidewalks.

So they've effectively banned you from smoking a cigarette anywhere in town, even outside. Of course, they didn't ACTUALLY ban smoking outside; they just made it so that the only place you can legally smoke is in the middle of the street. Thankfully, they don't break their necks to enforce it, but they have been known to write people tickets for it on a mostly arbitrary basis.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-23-2008, 01:11 PM
You don't HAVE to breathe a smoker's second hand smoke. How hard is it to get up and walk away from it? :noidea:

"Unless a drinker spills on you"?? Perry - please tell me that you recognize the dangers, not only to the consumer but to everyone else, of drinking alcohol.

I think you misunderstood my point.

I am not talking about excesive abuse...I am talking about everyday recreational use of the things mentioned.

From a law enforcement standpoint...comparing drinking and driving drunk ....is the equivelant of comparing trap shooting and shooting into a crowd of bystanders.

Smoking does happen to be one of the few vices that affect those around you...immediatley. (that was my point).

Yes I can get up and move...but isnt it more incumbant upon a person who smokes to smoke somewhere where its not bothering anyone...than it is for them to light up around those who dont smoke and expect others to move?

Dino 6 Rings
04-23-2008, 02:41 PM
Yes I can get up and move...but isnt it more incumbant upon a person who smokes to smoke somewhere where its not bothering anyone...than it is for them to light up around those who dont smoke and expect others to move?

Depends on the situation. If its in a bar, that allows smoking, and the person is smoking, and you sit down next to them, should they then get up and smoke somewhere else? If you're in a park, and a person has their blanket laid out, and their chilling, and you get near them and set up a picnic, should the smoker move?

silver & black
04-23-2008, 02:52 PM
The bottom line is: If you have had to watch someone you love die an agonizing, slow death that was the direct result of smoking, I'm sure your live and let live views would be a bit skewed. I have also had members of my imediate family die from alcoholism too... it isn't the same as watching someone suffocate to death for 10 years.

stlrtruck
04-23-2008, 03:04 PM
The bottom line is: If you have had to watch someone you love die an agonizing, slow death that was the direct result of smoking, I'm sure your live and let live views would be a bit skewed. I have also had members of my imediate family die from alcoholism too... it isn't the same as watching someone suffocate to death for 10 years.

I get what you're saying but it's not necessarily true. I've got relatives on my mother's side (from New England - that might explain it) who have watched loved ones die from cancer or other smoking related health issues, only to continue to smoke to this day.

So I guess some people never learn, even when they have experienced the hardships first hand.

HometownGal
04-23-2008, 03:14 PM

I beg to differ s&b. Both evils are just as devastating. With alcoholism, instead of the victim "suffocating to death for 10 years", you watch them turn yellow, waste away to nothing because their stomachs and digestive systems (what is left of those organs) don't function anymore and slowly die from the debilitating effects of cirrhosis or liver cancer.

As I said above, I'm all for a ban on smoking in public places, but if you are going to oust one evil, the other should be ousted too. Both kill just as many people (and innocents unconsciously, or consciously by their own choosing, exposed to those evils).

Counselor
04-23-2008, 03:18 PM
The bottom line is: If you have had to watch someone you love die an agonizing, slow death that was the direct result of smoking, I'm sure your live and let live views would be a bit skewed.

I hold firm to my "live and let live" view--despite living through/seeing exactly what you have described with someone I love.

As I said before, I respect your point of view and empathize, but I just don't agree.

MACH1
04-23-2008, 03:28 PM
If a person goes to a bar that allows smoking. And that person doesn't smoke and hates it so much then why would they go. In that atmosphere its the smokers right to smoke as it is theirs not to. Like I said earlier your not there for health reasons and if the smoke bothers them so much go else where. IMO

steelreserve
04-23-2008, 03:32 PM
If a person goes to a bar that allows smoking. And that person doesn't smoke and hates it so much then why would they go. In that atmosphere its the smokers right to smoke as it is theirs not to. Like I said earlier your not there for health reasons and if the smoke bothers them so much go else where. IMO

Seriously. I understand banning smoking where it's obviously going to bother people. But it's really up to you whether you go to a bar, or which one you go to. This is just a case of legislating based on who complains the loudest, which almost always produces stupid results.

HometownGal
04-23-2008, 03:35 PM
I think you misunderstood my point.

I am not talking about excesive abuse...I am talking about everyday recreational use of the things mentioned.

From a law enforcement standpoint...comparing drinking and driving drunk ....is the equivelant of comparing trap shooting and shooting into a crowd of bystanders.

Smoking does happen to be one of the few vices that affect those around you...immediatley. (that was my point).

No - I got your point loud and clear Perry. :thumbsup: I was just a little shocked (and still am) at your perspective when comparing smoking and drunk driving. :noidea:

The bottom line is this. For now, smoking is legal. Driving drunk is not. While I feel that both smokers and those who drink should be courteous of others' adversity to their bad habits, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

Elvis
04-23-2008, 04:07 PM
:applaudit: Thats my opinion on the Anti-smoking laws

But I also know that everyone has their rights to do as they somewhat wish.

SteelersMongol
04-24-2008, 02:52 AM
...Smoking does happen to be one of the few vices that affect those around you...immediatley. (that was my point).

What if u get up & move, but it's still the same wherever u go? It's that bad around here. I mean only place u get smoke-free is your home. :laughing: That's y I despise those who smoke wherever they go. At least back in the states, people respect each other's breathing space. :thumbsup:

SteelersMongol
04-24-2008, 02:55 AM
Great post, Dino. :thumbsup:

I've had sinus cancer twice in the past 12 years and believe it or not, the cancer was not caused by smoking cigarettes. I've had numerous physicians, ENT specialists (my current doc who I would (and did) trust with my life), and oncologists tell me that sinus cancers are mainly contracted by painters, woodworkers, crafters, etc. I did a lot of crafting years ago and inhaled a lot of hot glue fumes and a few months before I was diagnosed the first time, I lived in a townhome where the air conditioner leaked freon, though I asked my landlord numerous times to fix the leak and instead, he had his brother-in-law just pump in more freon. :banging: I'm a firm believer, as are my docs, that cancer is a pre-disposed condition based on each person's genetic makeup.

I was an extremely considerate smoker and always asked those who rode in my car if they minded if I smoked (with the window open, of course). If they had an objection, I didn't smoke. I never smoked in anyone's home who didn't smoke and had one room in my home that I limited to smoking. If visitors to my home didn't want to be around my smoke, they knew to stay away from that room! :chuckle:

Hey, HTG. I know u can quit. My dad quit 15 years ago. He's almost 50 some years old now & he smoked like since he was 7. If my dad can do it ANYONE can. First time he tried he went cold turkey & got so big none of his shirt would fit anymore, & he went back when he couldn't tie his own shoes. Then he started cutting his cigarettes in half when he lits. After a week he would cut half of what's left. As the weeks go by there was nothing left 2 smoke at the end. Soon he quit it. The thing is he didn't just quit himself. He made my uncles do the same since his words weigh a lot in our family. :thumbsup: Now no one smokes.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-24-2008, 03:29 AM
Depends on the situation. If its in a bar, that allows smoking, and the person is smoking, and you sit down next to them, should they then get up and smoke somewhere else? If you're in a park, and a person has their blanket laid out, and their chilling, and you get near them and set up a picnic, should the smoker move?

I guess i thought it was common sense ....and went without saying....that a non-smoker wouldnt sit in a pre-existing cloud of smoke and blame it on someone else.

Thats why I specifically stated an example of someone lighting up around someone after the fact.

Bars are open terrritory as far as I am concerned....

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-24-2008, 03:47 AM
No - I got your point loud and clear Perry. :thumbsup: I was just a little shocked (and still am) at your perspective when comparing smoking and drunk driving. :noidea:

The bottom line is this. For now, smoking is legal. Driving drunk is not. While I feel that both smokers and those who drink should be courteous of others' adversity to their bad habits, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

You DID NOT get my point.

I never compared drunk driving to smoking. I compared having "A" drink to having "A" smoke.

C'mon...it not fair to put words into my mouth...you know how I feel about drunk driving!!

I even made a point in the second post to say that I was not talking about getting drunk and getting behind the wheel.

Let me be as clear as I can be. Any one who gets behind the wheel of a 2,000 lb bullet after drinking...is an idiot and a law breaker.

My comparison was when someone is unfairly comparing the RECREATIONAL use of having ...a steak or a drink... with having a cigerette........it is only the cigerette that is invasive of the other persons immediate rights because of second-hand smoke.

I was trying to make the point that there is no second-hand drinking..(If I drink ONE beer)....there is no second-hand eating...(If I have ONE steak)....but if I have ONE cigerette...I share that with everyone around me.

ABUSE of drinking or over-eating is another topic all-together...but was never the intention of any of my posts.

HometownGal
04-24-2008, 07:24 AM
You DID NOT get my point.

I never compared drunk driving to smoking. I compared having "A" drink to having "A" smoke.

C'mon...it not fair to put words into my mouth...you know how I feel about drunk driving!!

I even made a point in the second post to say that I was not talking about getting drunk and getting behind the wheel.

Let me be as clear as I can be. Any one who gets behind the wheel of a 2,000 lb bullet after drinking...is an idiot and a law breaker.

My comparison was when someone is unfairly comparing the RECREATIONAL use of having ...a steak or a drink... with having a cigerette........it is only the cigerette that is invasive of the other persons immediate rights because of second-hand smoke.

I was trying to make the point that there is no second-hand drinking..(If I drink ONE beer)....there is no second-hand eating...(If I have ONE steak)....but if I have ONE cigerette...I share that with everyone around me.

ABUSE of drinking or over-eating is another topic all-together...but was never the intention of any of my posts.

I apologize, Perry. I misunderstood your post.

And there IS second-hand drinking if you spill your drink on me and I am forced to kick your hiney. :wink02::drink:

I have always been a stress smoker and I need to find another outlet for that stress instead of turning to my old "friend", the cigarette.

stlrtruck
04-24-2008, 07:28 AM
I have always been a stress smoker and I need to find another outlet for that stress instead of turning to my old "friend", the cigarette.

Try walking, excercising, punching bag, etc.

silver & black
04-24-2008, 06:29 PM
I beg to differ s&b. Both evils are just as devastating. With alcoholism, instead of the victim "suffocating to death for 10 years", you watch them turn yellow, waste away to nothing because their stomachs and digestive systems (what is left of those organs) don't function anymore and slowly die from the debilitating effects of cirrhosis or liver cancer.

As I said above, I'm all for a ban on smoking in public places, but if you are going to oust one evil, the other should be ousted too. Both kill just as many people (and innocents unconsciously, or consciously by their own choosing, exposed to those evils).

Believe me, I know the evils of alcohol all too well. Every single person on my father's side of the family (grandmother and father, 3 aunts and 1 uncle) were alcoholics. It eventually even got a hold my father too... who swore he would never become like his family. Fortunately, he had a family that brought him back from the depths of that hell... only to die a very slow and painful death from COPD.

I'm not making light of alcohol for the sake of bagging on smoking. I agree with you about both, being as I've suffered a great deal at the hands of both. I was just sticking with the topic at hand, thats all.

silver & black
04-24-2008, 06:48 PM
I hold firm to my "live and let live" view--despite living through/seeing exactly what you have described with someone I love.

As I said before, I respect your point of view and empathize, but I just don't agree.

I'm not conveying what I mean very well, I don't think. I'm not saying that people shouldn't have the right to do something that is perfectly legal to do. I'm saying that one's experience... good or bad, can sway a person's view of it...or not. It certainly did for me.

I am totaly and utterly against smoking. My views on it have been ingrained in me through what I have experienced with it. I was subjected to it my entire life, untill I moved out. Like another poster said... I could not get away from it when I was a kid. I was made to suffer through it in the car, in the house, at resturaunts, everywhere. Every adult in my family, on both sides, smoked. I swore I would never do it or even try it... and I never have.

My mother smoked while she was pregnant with me and my brother. I wonder if some of the problems I have today are because of it. Unfortunately, back then, no one knew what they know now. I am utterly amazed when I see a pregnant woman smoking. Talk about total disregard for another life!

I'm just going to quit with this thread now. I don't want to make enemies of the friends I have here... and its a topic that I feel very strongly about, so I get carried away and step on my soap box when I probably shouldn't.

vasteeler
04-25-2008, 10:39 AM
man after reading all of this i need a smoke

HometownGal
04-25-2008, 02:14 PM
Hey, HTG. I know u can quit. My dad quit 15 years ago. He's almost 50 some years old now & he smoked like since he was 7. If my dad can do it ANYONE can. First time he tried he went cold turkey & got so big none of his shirt would fit anymore, & he went back when he couldn't tie his own shoes. Then he started cutting his cigarettes in half when he lits. After a week he would cut half of what's left. As the weeks go by there was nothing left 2 smoke at the end. Soon he quit it. The thing is he didn't just quit himself. He made my uncles do the same since his words weigh a lot in our family. :thumbsup: Now no one smokes.

That is great your Dad quit! :thumbsup:

Like my late father always told me - if you try to do something and stumble and fall, pick yourself up and try again. That is exactly what I am going to do. Life is too precious to me and with my daughter getting married next fall, I want to be here to share in her joy. I also want to be here to watch my grandson graduate from college!

First time he tried he went cold turkey & got so big none of his shirt would fit anymore, & he went back when he couldn't tie his own shoes

This is definitely not an incentive to quit smoking - LOL! :wink02::chuckle:

I guess i thought it was common sense ....and went without saying....that a non-smoker wouldnt sit in a pre-existing cloud of smoke and blame it on someone else.

You cannot imagine how many times I have sat in a smoking section of a restaurant and have had a non-smoker who specifically tells the hostess "no preference" give me the hairy eyeball and bat away the smoke. Just to send a strong message, I would light up 2 cigs - smoke 1 and let 1 burn away in the ashtray. :chuckle:

Preacher
04-25-2008, 02:55 PM
man after reading all of this i need a smoke

:chuckle:

maybe a drink too!

:toofunny:

NJarhead
04-25-2008, 08:15 PM
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1388/1074454231_c2905b1181.jpg