PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Colon could receive chance at left guard

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-22-2008, 04:17 AM
Steelers' Colon could receive chance at left guard
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, April 22, 2008

With Max Starks signed for the upcoming season, the Steelers will take a look at Willie Colon at guard during offseason practices, which started Monday at the team's South Side facility.

Colon beat out Starks for the starting job at right tackle last season, but the Steelers have an opening at left guard because of the loss of Pro Bowler Alan Faneca to free agency.

Starks started four games at left tackle for Marvel Smith last season. Smith, who took part in yesterday's practice, apparently has made a full recovery from the back problems that plagued him in 2007.

The Steelers could move Colon to guard after seeing how he handles the position during offseason practices or have the third-year man and Starks again compete for the starting job at right tackle during training camp.

"They said that I'm starter-capable and that I'm flexible ... so we'll see where I fit," Starks said.
Starks recently signed the one-year deal that the Steelers had tendered him in February. The two sides continue to work toward a long-term contract extension, director of football operations Kevin Colbert said.

Starks is slated to make $6.9 million this season, and an agreement on an extension would give the Steelers more room under the salary cap and provide the fifth-year veteran with a measure of security.

"It still remains our goal and his goal and (Starks' agent) Eugene Parker (to agree on a long-term deal)," Colbert said, "so we're going to keep those talks alive because there are benefits for everybody involved."

Parker 'ahead of schedule'

Willie Parker, who is recovering from a broken leg, took handoffs and caught passes yesterday morning.

After the Steelers' first offseason practice, coach Mike Tomlin said the Pro Bowl running back is ahead of schedule.

"We expect him to be 100 percent (for the regular season), no doubt," Tomlin said. "He feels good mentally, and he's in great shape. That's Willie; he's a guy that sees the glass as half full."

Parker broke his lower right leg in the Steelers' 41-24 win over the Rams last December. He had been leading the league in rushing before sustaining the season-ending injury.

Tomlin said Parker isn't 100 percent and that the team will monitor how much he does during the Steelers' offseason practices.

"If we're going to err, we're going to err on the side of caution," Tomlin said. "He's running. He's moving in the right direction."

Kreider coming along

Fullback Dan Kreider is intent on returning from the torn anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injury that ended his season in November.

Whether he tries to make a comeback with the Steelers remains to be seen.

Kreider, a free agent, has been rehabilitating his knee at the team's practice facility.

"He should be ready for training camp wherever he ends up," Colbert said, "be it here or somewhere else."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_563603.html

Galax Steeler
04-22-2008, 04:36 AM
That is good news on parker being ahead of schedule and hopefully colon will do well at guard.

Elvis
04-22-2008, 07:39 AM
the injury news updates all sound great to me. I am glad to hear it!!
:applaudit:

steelwall
04-22-2008, 07:56 AM
The news about Parker is great! I just hope we don't get into a game of musical chairs on the O-line this year.

DACEB
04-22-2008, 10:02 AM
The news about Parker is great! I just hope we don't get into a game of musical chairs on the O-line this year.

The news sounds good on all fronts, my main concerns being the two Smith's.

I too hope that they find a good combination for the O-line early on, it would be best to give them as much time as possible together.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-22-2008, 10:06 AM
Colon, Kemo or Mahan at LG......man I am starting to really hate the Mahan signing more.

DACEB
04-22-2008, 10:10 AM
Colon, Kemo or Mahan at LG......man I am starting to really hate the Mahan signing more.

and more, and more!

Is it possible that training camp will be the last we see of Mrs. Mahan?

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-22-2008, 10:20 AM
and more, and more!

Is it possible that training camp will be the last we see of Mrs. Mahan?

I still see Colon and Simmons at Guards... with Kemo and Mahan as backups...Mahan may be able to hold a roster spot by being a backup OG and OC.

Players like him are generally more successful as wave players, and can be adeguate in support.

lilyoder6
04-22-2008, 10:28 AM
mahan would be a good back up like said above... he just gives depth at more pos in 1 person.. would be nice to see colon to move to lg and starks start rt again...

thats nice that they are allowing dan Kreider to rehabilitate at the facility... good news all the way around

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-22-2008, 11:30 AM
I still see Colon and Simmons at Guards... with Kemo and Mahan as backups...Mahan may be able to hold a roster spot by being a backup OG and OC.

Players like him are generally more successful as wave players, and can be adeguate in support.

Personally I would like to see what Kemo is capable of, since he has been stuck behind Faneca and Simmons his whole career, but TC will sort that out.

Also, I think Mahan will be a pretty expensive backup if in fact Stapleton is improving.

Simmons, Colon, Kemo at guard with Stapleton being able to play backup G/C is more promising to me than Mahan as a backup.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-22-2008, 11:32 AM
BTW, what are the chances that Simmons is moved to LG and the other guys fight it out for the RG spot??

The suggestion was made in another thread that the Steelers always run to the right and a faster pulling guard is needed on the left side.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-22-2008, 11:50 AM
Personally I would like to see what Kemo is capable of, since he has been stuck behind Faneca and Simmons his whole career, but TC will sort that out.

Also, I think Mahan will be a pretty expensive backup if in fact Stapleton is improving.

Simmons, Colon, Kemo at guard with Stapleton being able to play backup G/C is more promising to me than Mahan as a backup.

Stapleton is on my short list of players that may get cut this season...along with Krieder and the now departed Wilson.

I think we pick up Velsaco or Legursky and use Mahan as insurance.

The only knock I have heard about Kemo (other than a very bad temper in college)...is that he has been slow absorbing the blocking assignments...but on the plus side he is supposed to have all the strength in the world.

DACEB
04-22-2008, 11:50 AM

More promising, and much cheaper!

Lord Stiller
04-22-2008, 11:59 AM

I agree. It seems like everyone just writes off Kemo to be a backup. Kemo is a beast, he is really big and strong and plays with a mean-streak(something we are lacking)

BettisFan
04-22-2008, 12:01 PM
Even though parker is "ahead of schedule" I dont think he will come close to what he did last year, We need to make sure we have a good back up for him.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-22-2008, 12:02 PM
Stapleton is on my short list of players that may get cut this season...along with Krieder and the now departed Wilson.

I think we pick up Velsaco or Legursky and use Mahan as insurance.

The only knock I have heard about Kemo (other than a very bad temper in college)...is that he has been slow absorbing the blocking assignments...but on the plus side he is supposed to have all the strength in the world.

Yeah, if Legursky is picked, then Stapleton is on the way out. If he pans out, then no need to draft a C high next season either.

Yeah, I havent heard about Kemo's issues and thinking that he played under Urban Meyer in college makes me wonder how much different a pro style offense is when compared to Meyers.

If he is in his 4th year and having trouble with the playbook then that's not good, repetition helps and he will get a shot at reps this season. As a guy that played and coached O-line, its technical and sometimes confusing.......but it aint rocket science.

19ward86
04-22-2008, 02:50 PM
nice to hear about kreider.

Hapa
04-22-2008, 02:55 PM
I want Dan Kreider back :D

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-22-2008, 05:12 PM
I want Dan Kreider back :D

The problem is Bruce Arians doesnt, so he will be elsewhere and there will be another TE/H-back in his place.

paw-n-maul-u
04-22-2008, 05:31 PM
We have too many interior lineman ... all of them 6 of one, half-dozen of another.

However, I feel Kemo will be solid this year, if not spectacular. It's hard to crack the lineup playing behind Big Red, not to mention we spent a first rounder on Simmons and just extended him.

I don't know why Colon, a career guard, was moved to tackle.

... But I don't know where he fits in at guard either. DOES ANYONE REMEMBER THIS: ... last year bouchette reported from camp from Tomlin and Larry Z that it is obvious colon needs to play somewhere on the line ...
... but was he put at tackle stupidly just for the simple fact that Simmons and Faneca were at guard? and we already had a serviceable backup in Kemo?

I hope Marvel Smith can get back to his pre-back problems play. I feel like our line has nowhere to go but up, and this year everyone will be watching them. hopefully the pressure can get their asses blocking

Black@Gold Forever32
04-22-2008, 06:14 PM

I agree with your post....Simmons and Colon will be the OGs.....I think Willie Colon will be a nasty OG...In my opinion its in his best interest to move to OG....When he was drafted an article pointed out that he was better suited for OG....

The starting OL should look like this....Smith, Colon, Hartwig, Simmons, Starks...Unless a rookie is drafted in the first round and wins a starting spot in camp....

Mistah_Q
04-22-2008, 06:33 PM
If the coaches don't think Mahan will be able to win a starting spot at guard, he needs to be cut or traded (and a guard targeted in the draft, perhaps). I do think he's a serviceable backup, but he makes entirely too much to be a backup

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
04-22-2008, 06:37 PM
Well..........for the money we are paying starks.......he better be the starting RT. and have a few ProBowl Votes............

Hopefully he will consider restructuring his contract for a few years and take less money.......

Mistah_Q
04-22-2008, 06:42 PM
Well..........for the money we are paying starks.......he better be the starting RT. and have a few ProBowl Votes............

Hopefully he will consider restructuring his contract for a few years and take less money.......I have a feeling they might try Starks out at Left Tackle, with Marvel back in his natural position at Right Tackle. It might not work out, but has a lot of potential. . The salary Starks will get, wouldn't be so obscene if he were anchoring left tackle either.

revefsreleets
04-23-2008, 09:32 AM
Hopefully the Steelers don't play musical chairs with the OL over the entire preseason this year. You'll have a hard time convincing me that that didn't contribute to the poor performance over the course of the season.

lilyoder6
04-23-2008, 10:02 AM
do u rly thjink that we could get something 4 trading mahan???
right now we have a good line and they just not to be moving ppl around evry week in the offseason pratices and pre-season...

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-23-2008, 10:15 AM
I have a feeling they might try Starks out at Left Tackle, with Marvel back in his natural position at Right Tackle. It might not work out, but has a lot of potential. . The salary Starks will get, wouldn't be so obscene if he were anchoring left tackle either.

Might try Starks out, but no way I see him beating a healthy Marvel Smith out for the job.

Starks was terrible at LT last preseason, which is what ended up getting him on the bench, hopefully he can rise to the challenge and be the LT of the future, but I am not betting the farm on it.

Why is Smith's "natural position at Right Tackle"???

Smith played LT at Arizona State and was like most rookie OT's ....introduced to the NFL by playing RT for a couple seasons.

Edman
04-23-2008, 01:03 PM
So if Colon is going to be moved inside, who's at right tackle? Starks was never consistent at the Tackle position. Yeah, he did good there near the end of last year, but can he do it for a whole season?

All I want is soft Kendall Simmons to be supplanted. He gets pusheed around by big guys so much. But I have a feeling he won't. So the odd man out here is Kemo. It's looking like another year on the bench for him.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-23-2008, 02:08 PM
Starks had a couple good seasons at RT, but yes he struggled at times just like Colon did last season. He played well in 4 games at LT, albeit 2 were on a muddy field that slowed the pass rushers, but struggled bigtime in the preseason.

If Starks is gonna get paid, expect him to start at RT unless he cant beat out Colon again.

My opinion is that Colon will not beat out Kemo or Starks and the Starting O line will be this.

LT- Smith
LG-Kemoateu
C- Hartwig
RG-Simmons
RT-Starks

reserves will be Colon and Mahan inside, Essex and rookie (Cherilus, Collins) as tackles. Colon will be valuable as he can backup at G or T, but I won't be surprised if he wins the LG job either.

Mistah_Q
04-23-2008, 05:29 PM
Might try Starks out, but no way I see him beating a healthy Marvel Smith out for the job.Me either, to me it's more of a question of how much Smith will outclass Starks at RT. . if it's significantly more than any dropoff had at LT by using Starks there. . it might happen. Emphasis on the "might."

Responding to a different post (why make two in a row?) . . As fas as Kemoeatu at left guard. . . I don't like it. The left guard has to be able to do a good job at pulling, especially with the unsure situation at LT, we need the best LG situation we can get. I want to see Mahan competing with Colon. . maybe even Simmons. Kemoeatu might be a decent Right Guard, but IMO he's too much of an oaf to play LG and it should never happen.

revefsreleets
04-23-2008, 06:00 PM
That's where the kid from Toledo might help out, should the Steelers pick him at 23. He played tackle, but his foot speed is pretty good, and he could easily play the role the Steelers would ask of him. The more I read, the more I like the idea of John Greco at #23.

6'5" 320

Greco picked up All-MAC first-team honors in 2006. The team co-captain registered 90 knockdowns and came up with ten touchdown-resulting blocks. He allowed three sacks on 386 pass plays and guided an offense that averaged 326.9 yards per game.

Greco was a third-team All-American and first-team All-MAC choice during his final season. He led a front wall that allowed only 16 quarterback sacks, as the offense generated 5,373 yards (447.8 yards per game), leading the MAC in total offense, rushing and scoring. He delivered 99 knockdowns, coming up with 14 touchdown-resulting blocks.

Career Notes

The three-time All-MAC selection has delivered 275 knockdowns and 34 touchdown-resulting blocks during his three seasons at the demanding left tackle position...Started 49 consecutive games, including 36 at left tackle.

Mistah_Q
04-23-2008, 06:21 PM
That's where the kid from Toledo might help out, should the Steelers pick him at 23. He played tackle, but his foot speed is pretty good, and he could easily play the role the Steelers would ask of him. The more I read, the more I like the idea of John Greco at #23.

If we pick John Greco in the first round. . . I will gather all my Steelers paraphernalia in a pile and set it aflame, and never watch another game until both Tomlin and Colbert are fired -- no, castrated, hung, then fired.

No team should consider him until day two. He might start at guard someday but he's a backup tackle at best.

Galax Steeler
04-24-2008, 04:42 AM
If we pick John Greco in the first round. . . I will gather all my Steelers paraphernalia in a pile and set it aflame, and never watch another game until both Tomlin and Colbert are fired -- no, castrated, hung, then fired.

No team should consider him until day two. He might start at guard someday but he's a backup tackle at best.

I would also hate to see this pick at 23 there is alot more talent out there.

DACEB
04-24-2008, 07:18 AM
I like Greco for our style of play, but he will easily be available in the 2nd when we pick.

Your thought process is in the right place though. The team might have to reach some with only six picks, if they like certain players.

revefsreleets
04-24-2008, 01:03 PM
You mean you won't burn all your Steelers gear if we pick him there?

Man, I love draft experts! They are always right...until they aren't.

tony hipchest
04-24-2008, 01:55 PM
You mean you won't burn all your Steelers gear if we pick him there?

Man, I love draft experts! They are always right...until they aren't.question. i dont know the dude, but what seperates him from mangold or kalil that would have him drafted higher than them. is he considered a lock to be a 10 years starter in the league?

Rhee Rhee
04-25-2008, 02:19 AM
question. i dont know the dude, but what seperates him from mangold or kalil that would have him drafted higher than them. is he considered a lock to be a 10 years starter in the league?

i honestly think it's program pedigree... then again the prospects behind mangold and kalil were sorry...

but that's just IMO

Haiku_Dirtt
04-25-2008, 03:06 AM
Willie Colon is now our Alan Faneca...:puke:

Nothing against Willie. He's a badass bronx brother and apparently has had the attitude to make it to the NFL. And I like Willie. We need him to deliver. But he can't do IT.

WHAT? Willie is the anchor until the troops arrive?
WHAT? Build around him?
WHAT? Build around freaking who?

If Smith's "injury" is 'unhealed'...

Sorry to sound the sirens but if one wants to understand the calamity we have then just compare it to the Vegas housing crisis. I repeat.

No Answers. No Solutions. No End In Sight.

This ain't on Tomlin. He should have at least three years before we hold him to the fire. Picking through Cowher's septic tank is his challenge but why Bill jumped ship is ever so apparent now.

Haiku_Dirtt
04-25-2008, 03:28 AM
i honestly think it's program pedigree... then again the prospects behind mangold and kalil were sorry...

but that's just IMO

Sorry is not what I would call those behind Kalil. We're talking about one of the most compelling football programs known to men. It's not like we're talking Buckeyes here. This is real football.

But you're right about the depth at SC on the O-line. Injuries were crushing.

Program pedigree though? What does that mean? No. It's all about who leads. Football is a leadership business. We should all give Tomlin the time to be what seems natural to him. A Leader.

Hey Troy Polalmalu. Was it the program that made you bad ass?

Food for thought...sort of

Galax Steeler
04-25-2008, 04:42 AM
This ain't on Tomlin. He should have at least three years before we hold him to the fire. Picking through Cowher's septic tank is his challenge but why Bill jumped ship is ever so apparent now.

It's going to take awhile to fix what cowher left for tomlin.

revefsreleets
04-25-2008, 10:07 AM
I've seen projections that there are 3-4 centers in this draft that are better prospects than Kalil.

And the knocks against OSU are cute, but Mangold came in from Day 1 and played like an absolute stud in the NFL. I'm 90% sure that Greco is simply suffering from "Mid Major" disease. It's a good thing our two QB's didn't catch it, since they both came from the MAC as well.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-25-2008, 11:22 AM
I've seen projections that there are 3-4 centers in this draft that are better prospects than Kalil.

And the knocks against OSU are cute, but Mangold came in from Day 1 and played like an absolute stud in the NFL. I'm 90% sure that Greco is simply suffering from "Mid Major" disease. It's a good thing our two QB's didn't catch it, since they both came from the MAC as well.

Are you talking about the 2009 draft??? If so, yes there are a few better than Kalil, (Lookup Alex Mack from Cal) which is why any talk about drafting Mike Pollack this year is absolutely insane.

I think Charlie Batch has mid major syndrome. What has he really done in the NFL other than try to hang around as long as Rick Mirer?