PDA

View Full Version : Can the Rams sign their first round draft pick now?

Hapa
04-22-2008, 03:43 PM
Since Miami has already signed Jake Long and made it official that he is their first round pick, are the Rams now allowed to sign someone?

tony hipchest
04-22-2008, 03:47 PM
Since Miami has already signed Jake Long and made it official that he is their first round pick, are the Rams now allowed to sign someone?good question. they are officially on the clock so i see no reason they cant.

but then again, i could see espn/nfl network (and a bunch of fans) being really upset if a whole round of players were to sign before draft day actually arrived. talk about taking some of the luster off of the event...

lilyoder6
04-22-2008, 03:52 PM
but how can u be that upset... ur are not going to know who was the number 1 pick.. so st louis can sign a oick that they know they want and will be there... no atl won't be able to sign someone until st. louis signs there person so they know who is avaible... thats the only reason yppl aren't signed early b/c they don't know who is gonna be there

millwalldavey
04-22-2008, 04:19 PM
I dont see hwy they cannot... if the Fins say Jake is #1 and have him inked,... who's to say that the dominoes cannot fall and the entire 1st round be signed beforehand in relity.

Aussie_steeler
04-22-2008, 07:26 PM
The Rams are in an awesome position to generate trade options if that is what they are after.

They could let slip who they want to get in order to get some trade nibbles.

Then again they could also strengthen Atlanta's ability to generate trade partners. (As you can see I am not much of a poker player.)

I dont like seeing the #1 sign before the draft because it eliminates so many options and takes away a little suspence.

Texasteel
04-22-2008, 08:29 PM
Atlanta is set to get Ryan or Dorsey, I don't think they are going make a trade unless someone just blows the socks off.

Galax Steeler
04-23-2008, 05:16 AM
Since Miami has already signed Jake Long and made it official that he is their first round pick, are the Rams now allowed to sign someone?

I would hope no one else can sign like tony said it would take away come draft day.

steelymcmatt
04-23-2008, 06:29 AM

According to profootballtalk.com (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/04/22/the-rams-apparently-are-not-on-the-clock/) the Rams aren't on the clock until Sat. I see this as more a move to protect the integrity of draft day than anything else.

revefsreleets
04-23-2008, 08:43 AM
I'm sure they can pursue contract talks, but there's no reason to sign anyone. It'd be best to wait and see what their options are.

lilyoder6
04-23-2008, 10:15 AM
u don't think that there have been trade talks arldy?? i mean y not get the deal done so by draft time if u wanna wait to have the player signed.. no harm there amd in this case since they have the deal done w/o it being sign they could "look at the possible trades"

Elvis
04-23-2008, 05:04 PM
According to profootballtalk.com (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/04/22/the-rams-apparently-are-not-on-the-clock/) the Rams aren't on the clock until Sat. I see this as more a move to protect the integrity of draft day than anything else.
Pretty sure that I saw them running that across espnnews yesterday also..
:coffee:

RoethlisBURGHer
04-23-2008, 05:38 PM
The NFL said no, the Rams are not allowed to sign someone yet.

This is really the first time this has ever happened. Normally when thet eam with the first overall pick signs their chosen player before the draft, it isn't announced until Thursday or Friday. This time it was announced with 4 days until the draft.

I am sure the Rams can hammer out a deal with whoever they want to take, but it probally cannot be announced or signed until after they officially pick the player.

lilyoder6
04-23-2008, 06:17 PM
they'll just have to work very quietly... but they should get chris long

millwalldavey
04-23-2008, 06:20 PM
The NFL said no, the Rams are not allowed to sign someone yet.

This is really the first time this has ever happened. Normally when thet eam with the first overall pick signs their chosen player before the draft, it isn't announced until Thursday or Friday. This time it was announced with 4 days until the draft.

I am sure the Rams can hammer out a deal with whoever they want to take, but it probally cannot be announced or signed until after they officially pick the player.

I just do not see how they can give Miami the OK, but noone else.

BettisFan
04-23-2008, 07:05 PM
jeez this is going to be weird the draft is going to be half over before it starts

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-24-2008, 11:45 AM
they'll just have to work very quietly... but they should get chris long

I thought that too, but now Long doesnt make sense to me in a 3-4.

At 275 lbs he is too small to play 3-4DE and too big to play OLB. The Rams run a 3-4, so while he is the best talent I see the Rams taking Dorsey or trading down and getting Ellis, McKelvin or Clady.

revefsreleets
04-24-2008, 12:44 PM
Vern Gholston would not be a shock.

Lord Stiller
04-24-2008, 12:52 PM
The Rams aren't even allowed to negotiate with anyone yet

Lord Stiller
04-24-2008, 12:53 PM
They will either draft Dorsey or Long or trade

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-24-2008, 02:52 PM
Vern Gholston would not be a shock.

Now, Gholston makes more sense for a 3-4 OLB. But I think there are still too many questions about if he plays hard every down or can defend the run well to make him the #2 pick. But what is the real difference between #2 and #7?

Aussie_steeler
04-24-2008, 10:02 PM
The Saints want Dorsey. look for a huge trade with the rams to make that happen.

El-Gonzo, I thought the Rams played a 4-3 (the official site has them playing it)with Carriker playing DT. Long would be the perfect fit if that were the case. Or are there rumours that they are switching to a 3-4 so Carriker can move to DE????

BettisFan
04-24-2008, 10:12 PM
there hasnt been a top 5 pick trade in a while now

revefsreleets
04-25-2008, 09:39 AM
Now, Gholston makes more sense for a 3-4 OLB. But I think there are still too many questions about if he plays hard every down or can defend the run well to make him the #2 pick. But what is the real difference between #2 and #7?

$10 million? I don't know the exact number but it's a buttload of guaranteed money. He is on some boards as "the next LT" (Even as a huge Buckeye fan, I'm not willing to go that far), so someone will pick him in the top 10 for sure, probably even the top 5.

tony hipchest
04-25-2008, 10:56 AM
$10 million? I don't know the exact number but it's a buttload of guaranteed money. He is on some boards as "the next LT" (Even as a huge Buckeye fan, I'm not willing to go that far), so someone will pick him in the top 10 for sure, probably even the top 5.

10 mil sounds about right-

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story;jsessionid=4933C09A68F922A9C16133E4FD990815? id=09000d5d807ed3e1&template=with-video&confirm=true

Agents Tom Condon and Ben Dogra work for the same company and they just did the $57.5 million deal (with $30 million guaranteed) for Jake Long. The firm also represents Gholston, Ryan, Jonathan Stewart and Derrick Harvey. The slotting of contracts for the first round may already be set. I could see it peeling off something like this:

No. 2: 5 years, $55 million with $29 million guaranteed
No. 3: 5 years, $53 million with $28 million guaranteed
No. 4: 4.5 years, $51 million with $27 million guaranteed
No. 5: 5 years, $49 million with $25 million guaranteed

Back in 2006, the first-round (32 players) averaged $10.38 million in guaranteed money per player with the top five all signing six-year deals and 13 of the 32 getting six-year deals. This year, the first-round guaranteed average could easily approach $14 million per player, and there's little chance of seeing 13 contracts with six years. Players are going to make more guaranteed money and be free sooner.

as for the rams signing their pick before the draft, mortensen reported the nfl will look into the rule that prevents this; however the nfl is driven by television, and the hooplah over the draft is a prime example.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-25-2008, 11:42 AM

Wow. I guess my point is magnified that the difference in talent between #2 and #7 might not be much, but the $$$ is huge.

I love the analogy that the worst teams actually get penalized by the draft because they have to shell out big $$$ and suffer the big cap hits for unproven talent that may bust.

revefsreleets
04-25-2008, 04:27 PM
I hate to agree with them (and when I say hate, I mean HATE!!!!!!!!!), but the Pats definitely make a very convincing case when they argue against picking in the top 10.

lilyoder6
04-25-2008, 04:51 PM
i don't think the saits will move up to get dorsey,,, it will cost them too much 4 the trade... they would be like signing there life away.. they should just try and get ahead of the bengals and get ellis