PDA

View Full Version : Breaking News - Seahawks Release RB Alexander

lilyoder6
04-22-2008, 04:41 PM
Seahawks release Alexander
Former NFL MVP Shaun Alexander has been released by Seattle, NFL Network's Adam Schefter is reporting.

i wonder will would he go

HometownGal
04-22-2008, 04:59 PM
Here's the link to the nfl.com website where the breaking news is being reported.

http://www.nfl.com/

If he can stay off of the injury list, he could be a decent back for several NFL teams. He's only 30 years old and I think he still has some fire left in him.

MACH1
04-22-2008, 05:06 PM
Could see this coming from a mile away.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
04-22-2008, 05:25 PM
i dont care what you say. You put him in black and gold and have him back up willie parker........Our running needs are met for the next three years

Atlanta Dan
04-22-2008, 05:45 PM
Further illustration of the dangers of paying big bucks to an RB with more than 5 years of NFL mileage

VolatileMan
04-22-2008, 06:00 PM
Hey if the price was right (unfortunately I dont think it will be) how about the soon to be release Alexander to back up Fast Willy?

I think that would be a great pick up for us. He aint what he once was, but in limited duty he could excel!!

Just my $.02

msafford
04-22-2008, 06:03 PM
I wondered how long it would take before the inevitable what do you think about so and so playing for the Steelers.

HometownGal
04-22-2008, 06:09 PM
Here's the skinny:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3361271

Sources: Seahawks release former league MVP Alexander
By John Clayton

ESPN.com
Running On Empty?

Shaun Alexander has lost a step the past two seasons. The running back's numbers are down considerably from his MVP season in 2005.

Before his release, Alexander had to take a procedural physical in order to facilitate the termination of his contract. He took that physical Tuesday afternoon. He's recovering from wrist surgery and has been waiting for his left wrist to heal before he can start visiting teams that might be interested in signing him.

Alexander's agent, Jim Steiner, told The Associated Press Tuesday that "an announcement is pending" about Alexander's future with the Seahawks.

Alexander is expected to issue a statement early Tuesday evening, and Seahawks management is expected to be available for comment after 7 p.m. ET. Alexander leaves Seattle on good terms after being the team's all-time leading rusher. Two years of injuries plus the fact he's 30 years old led to his exit.

General manager Tim Ruskell, a big supporter of Alexander, signed Julius Jones and T.J. Duckett to replace him. The only holdup in Alexander's release was his wrist, which plagued him most of the 2007 season.

Alexander, who is signed through 2010, is scheduled to make $4.475 million this season. The Seahawks have two possible ways of releasing him. They could simply terminate his contract. If they do that, they would have a cap loss of $125,000.

Or, Seattle could release him under a June 2 designation in which they would put the $4.475 million salary on the 2008 cap and then be responsible for $4.6 million on their 2009 cap. With more than $12 million of cap room remaining, the Seahawks may simply give him his outright release and take the cap hits this season.

A former first-round choice of the Seahawks, Alexander rushed for 9,429 yards and scored 100 touchdowns in eight seasons.

He's told teammates there might be interest from teams such as the New England Patriots and the Indianapolis Colts, although he's just beginning his first venture into free agency.

steelymcmatt
04-22-2008, 06:09 PM
i dont care what you say. You put him in black and gold and have him back up willie parker........Our running needs are met for the next three years

First of all, I like Shaun. I think he's a GREAT guy and a solid player, However, I can not agree with you there. Between FWP and Moore I think we have all the speed running backs we need. I'm not sure we need to bring in a running back at all, but if we do, I'd rather see us pick up a bruiser/3rd down/endzone type similiar to Bettis. IMO that can be done late in the draft or with an UDFA.

TackleMeBen
04-22-2008, 07:46 PM
he can always go to the lions....lol. they need all the help they can get.

jjpro11
04-22-2008, 07:50 PM
his heart is out of it.. he won an mvp award, failed in the super bowl, and got paid a huge contract. i dont want him.

MasterOfPuppets
04-22-2008, 08:23 PM
alexander is washed up !!! he was hittin the holes last year, like a 60 year old man with E.D. :toofunny:

BettisFan
04-22-2008, 10:57 PM
lets get him!! Lets get lightning and thunder back here in the burgh!!! wow i could see it now great!

fansince'76
04-22-2008, 11:04 PM
lets get him!! Lets get lightning and thunder back here in the burgh!!! wow i could see it now great!

Lightning and Marshmallow would be more like it.

tony hipchest
04-22-2008, 11:10 PM

word yo wasnt he on the cover of like super tecmo bowl? hed be great in madden 08 in the bng :tt:

tony hipchest
04-22-2008, 11:13 PM
Lightning and Marshmallow would be more like it. :toofunny:

on the radio i had heard how shannon sharp dubbed him the "tip-toe technician" or something like that. :chuckle:

klick81
04-22-2008, 11:39 PM
He runs like a wuss. No way would I like him in Black & Gold. Fits the Cheatriots like a glove though...

Galax Steeler
04-23-2008, 04:26 AM
I would have to say no he would want to much and his age he is not what he used to be.

stillers4me
04-23-2008, 05:28 AM
How the mighty has fallen.

I remember when we played in XL, how everybody here in Cinci was telling me how great Seattle was because of Shaun Alexander. I was supposed to be sooooooo skeeeeered.

stlrtruck
04-23-2008, 07:50 AM
Let him go somewhere else and take up a roster spot - we had the experiment with Duce - I don't want another one!!!

revefsreleets
04-23-2008, 08:04 AM
This is interesting. They still have TJ Duckett, Maurice Morris and Julius Jones, but is any of those guys "The guy"? I imagine they covet Jonathon Stewart, but I bet they'd have to trade up to get him. Lions at 15? Cowboys at 22?

I think there are going to be a lot of trades this year.

lilyoder6
04-23-2008, 09:12 AM
julius jones is the guy.. the man was great at dallas and yes he did split carries w/ barber.. but jones is good... he can handle the load...

i thought it would of been nice to see the jets sign jones.. and then u would of the the jones's tandem in the backfield..

steelreserve
04-23-2008, 11:46 AM
Let him go somewhere else and take up a roster spot - we had the experiment with Duce - I don't want another one!!!

Maybe, but think about it another way: If I had $7 million to spend in the free agent market, I'd rather take the combo of Alexander and maybe a premier defensive lineman instead of Max Starks.

Just ... ugh.