PDA

View Full Version : What would you do for branden albert?

Rhee Rhee
04-22-2008, 06:53 PM
A question to all of you...

If Branden Albert fell past the chiefs and all the way to the 7th pick in the draft (belonging to the patriots) would you trade this year's first and second and next years third round draft pick to the patriots for the seventh pick and the right to branden albert?

before you say HELL NO think about what albert does for us, he can play LG for now while we play out marvel and max starks's contracts, move outside to LT the following year or stay at LG and we have a solid starter (maybe even a probowl player) on the line for years to come...

then we could use our third that we did not trade away on kendall langford or a CB (tyvon branch, antuan molden (who we met with), or terrell thomas if he falls far enough) or a DT (i.e red bryant, athyba rubin,)

Aussie_steeler
04-22-2008, 07:06 PM
Unfortunately after some consideration the answer is no. That would mean giving away two long term future starters (2nd & 3rd picks) for the future not to also mention the financial cost.

Deals like that would only turn the steelers into the Redskins IMO

Rhee Rhee
04-22-2008, 07:15 PM
Unfortunately after some consideration the answer is no. That would mean giving away two long term future starters (2nd & 3rd picks) for the future not to also mention the financial cost.

Deals like that would only turn the steelers into the Redskins IMO

then again those second and third round picks could turn into ricardo colclough and willie reid...

but i see your point..

Black@Gold Forever32
04-22-2008, 07:37 PM
If the Steelers had more picks then I could see them trading up for Brandon Albert...But with only 6 picks I wouldn't want to see them trade that many picks for just Brandon Albert...I like Albert also and his potential to play OG or LT at the NFL level....But who knows the guy could be a bust? If Albert falls to 20 then I might want the Steelers to make a move for him...Not trading all the way up to 7 though...

Texasteel
04-22-2008, 07:53 PM
To be honest with you I think it would take this years 1st and 2nd, and next years 1st, no thank you.

faneca05
04-22-2008, 10:03 PM
I would never trade that far up for a guard who can "supposedly" play left tackle. He has only played two games at left tackle and everybody thinks he would be better than a guy who has played left tackle throughout his whole college career. The only way I would maybe trade up for him would be if he made it out of the top 10-15 picks.

millwalldavey
04-22-2008, 10:26 PM
I would never sell our soul for a draft pick.

Trading with the Cheatriots no matter what is tantamount to treason!

Galax Steeler
04-23-2008, 05:01 AM
I would have to say no trading up that far we would have to give up to much.

steelymcmatt
04-23-2008, 06:36 AM
I would never trade that far up for a guard who can "supposedly" play left tackle. He has only played two games at left tackle and everybody thinks he would be better than a guy who has played left tackle throughout his whole college career. The only way I would maybe trade up for him would be if he made it out of the top 10-15 picks.

I've got to agree with you there Faneca. I don't think there is ANY way we trade into the top 15. However I do think that if Harvey, Albert, McKelvin or DRC somehow fall past 15 we'll be making some phone calls. Having said all that, I'd still much prefer to trade down.

Elvis
04-23-2008, 07:01 AM
As much as I would love to see Albert wearing the #63 jersey for the Steelers Black n Gold, I would never consider doing that especially giving a rival AFC Team that many choices.

Jeremy
04-23-2008, 09:18 AM
The Steelers are smarter than that. There are more needs than offensive line and Albert is starting to look like a combine wonder.

There are plenty of solid choices where the Steelers will be picking.

Steelers Since '75
04-23-2008, 09:25 AM
I would never give the Patriots any kind of future help... that is for sure. But that being said we don't need to trade up to get a good o-lineman in this years draft. I still stand by drafting the BPA in the first and grabbing Sam Baker in the 2nd if we don't trade down to get more picks... then in the 4th hopefully McGlynn is still available ;-)

revefsreleets
04-23-2008, 09:28 AM
If the Steelers truly covet a guard, they should just sit tight until 23 and take John Greco from Toledo. I think he can start at G right out of the chute.

tony hipchest
04-23-2008, 10:02 AM
The Steelers are smarter than that. There are more needs than offensive line and Albert is starting to look like a combine wonder.

There are plenty of solid choices where the Steelers will be picking.why is he looking like a combine number? he didnt do anything earth shattering. he has risen up the boards for several reasons. mainly because what he has put on film. add to that his excellent interviews and versatility and finally, having all the pundits and analysits calling him the perfect replacement for faneca.

the steelers need for him sucked him out of the 2nd round and perked up all other teams ears. since then it has been a steady climb.

Jeremy
04-23-2008, 12:11 PM
why is he looking like a combine number? he didnt do anything earth shattering. he has risen up the boards for several reasons. mainly because what he has put on film. add to that his excellent interviews and versatility and finally, having all the pundits and analysits calling him the perfect replacement for faneca.

the steelers need for him sucked him out of the 2nd round and perked up all other teams ears. since then it has been a steady climb.

The pundits and analysts huh? Makes me like him even less than I already do.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-23-2008, 02:15 PM
I think Albert will drop somewhere between 12-15 anyways and I still say we stay at #23 or trade down. There are lots of great O-linemen this year.

Its like going to a buffet with Steak, Lobster, Bacon wrapped scallops, Filet, Prime Rib and paying more $$ to get in line first for your choice. Just wait your turn and you will still get something great.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-23-2008, 02:17 PM
The pundits and analysts huh? Makes me like him even less than I already do.

Are they the same Pundits and analysts that were pimping Tony Mandarich, Kwame Harris, Alex Barron, Leonard Davis???? RUN AWAY!!!

tony hipchest
04-23-2008, 06:41 PM
The pundits and analysts huh? Makes me like him even less than I already do.i can buy it if you say he is overrated by the pundits and analists. he seemed to have a fairly typical combine, though. i didnt notice any wonders that would thrust him up the boards.

i think many people are skeptical of a guard going that high. then again, several years ago (primarily when troy was drafted) people were skeptical of a safety going in the top 20. now its nothing for a safety to go in the top 10. (whitner, huff, landry, taylor).

really has nothing to do with being a workout wonder, as much as the evolution of the game.

tsmartnick
04-24-2008, 02:22 AM
i would be disappointed if we took albert at 23. this guy went from projected round 3 to 4 to top ten pick. i think kemo will be pretty good at lg and i would rather go ol in rd 2 or 3. i know nobody will agree with me, but i would be happy with the line as it is right now. i want marvel lt kemo lg hardwick c simmons rg starks rt colon and draft pick for depth and cut mahan . casey hampton says that kemo is the only guy that he can not move backwards, so i may sound crazy but i like our line, but i would like to get chilo rachal or sam baker in rd 2

Galax Steeler
04-24-2008, 04:50 AM
i would be disappointed if we took albert at 23. this guy went from projected round 3 to 4 to top ten pick. i think kemo will be pretty good at lg and i would rather go ol in rd 2 or 3. i know nobody will agree with me, but i would be happy with the line as it is right now. i want marvel lt kemo lg hardwick c simmons rg starks rt colon and draft pick for depth and cut mahan . casey hampton says that kemo is the only guy that he can not move backwards, so i may sound crazy but i like our line, but i would like to get chilo rachal or sam baker in rd 2

I can see your point but with albert he can play more then one position he would make a great edition to the steelers.

Jeremy
04-24-2008, 09:25 AM
I can see your point but with albert he can play more then one position he would make a great edition to the steelers.

Unless he can play them all at the same time, I say pass.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-24-2008, 10:22 AM
Albert isnt just some combine wonder. He started 36games in 3 seasons and was named to the all ACC team each of those 3 seasons and was a co captain of Virginia.

He's got better credentials and athletic ability than Kemoateu ever had and is worthy of a top 15 pick because he can play LT and guys like Cherilus cant. He will be gone by 23.

lilyoder6
04-24-2008, 10:41 AM
it's a shame that he will be gone.. i wanted him.. and somehow he did drop and we could of gotten him the cheifs w/ there new pick will get him

steelymcmatt
04-24-2008, 11:01 AM
it's a shame that he will be gone.. i wanted him.. and somehow he did drop and we could of gotten him the cheifs w/ there new pick will get him

I'm still not convinced the Chiefs don't take him with their pick @ #5. Some argue that Merling or Harvey are better fits for what they do, and one of them should be there @ #17. Either way, he'll be long gone by the time it gets to us:(

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-24-2008, 11:19 AM
I'm still not convinced the Chiefs don't take him with their pick @ #5. Some argue that Merling or Harvey are better fits for what they do, and one of them should be there @ #17. Either way, he'll be long gone by the time it gets to us:(

If Ryan slides to #5, the Chiefs will and should take him. I personally think Clady and maybe Williams get picked before Albert because they are athletic LT's and Albert has the potential to play LT.

I think Otah will be the guy that surprisingly slides a bit because although he is massive, he is also a little stiff at the waist, not that light of foot, has played inconsistent and lacks a ton of experience. The drafniks pimp him, but he may slide like Brady Quinn did last year because of the question marks.

Give It To Abercrombie
04-24-2008, 07:49 PM

I agree with ya. All the way down to Baker in the 2nd.

19ward86
04-24-2008, 08:13 PM
id be willing to give up sean mahan...

lilyoder6
04-24-2008, 08:45 PM
the cheifs won't take ryan since they traded allen away.. w/ the 1st 2 picks they'll take de and o-lineman..

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-24-2008, 09:24 PM
the cheifs won't take ryan since they traded allen away.. w/ the 1st 2 picks they'll take de and o-lineman..

?????

They have something like 6 picks in the first 3 rounds. The Chefs will not let the only franchise QB in this draft slide by them when they can get O and D linemen with all those other picks.

If Ryan is on the board and they do pick Clady....they should just get some striped uniforms and change their name to the Bengals.

Jeremy
04-25-2008, 10:16 AM
I agree with ya. All the way down to Baker in the 2nd.

Sam Baker could end up being an absolute steal in the second round.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-25-2008, 11:29 AM
Sam Baker could end up being an absolute steal in the second round.

He will be for somebody that runs a zone blocking or west coast offense. Baker has good technique, great experience and can play either guard or tackle, but isnt what you call a big strong run blocker. He doesnt fit with the Steelers physical kind of run game IMO.

Texasteel
04-25-2008, 05:40 PM
I am becoming more and more convinced that if we stay in the 1st round we will take Cherilus.

Texasteel
04-25-2008, 07:56 PM
Just heard on the radio that the cowboys are very high on 2 O-linemen that they think might be there at 28.
Cherilus and Baker maybe?

Jeremy
04-26-2008, 11:01 AM
He will be for somebody that runs a zone blocking or west coast offense. Baker has good technique, great experience and can play either guard or tackle, but isnt what you call a big strong run blocker. He doesnt fit with the Steelers physical kind of run game IMO.

Gee that would be great if the Steelers still had a power running game.

Steelers43fan
04-26-2008, 12:10 PM
The question is do those teams ahead of us really believe he can play LT? A bet some of them dont see it that way. Not enough of them for him to be at #23.

Give It To Abercrombie
04-26-2008, 02:03 PM

Bingo.

If we are still a power running game first, why are we abandoning the traditional fullback?

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-26-2008, 03:19 PM

A physical running game doesnt demand that you have a 250lb running back:banging:
It involves running between the tackles and out muscling the defensive front 7. ITS STILL WHAT WE DO!!

If you believe we have switched to a zone blocking scheme, running "stretch plays" or any other offense that runs to the outside primarily, then please adjust your set, because that kind of candy ass football isnt being played by the B&G.

tony hipchest
04-26-2008, 03:36 PM
A physical running game doesnt demand that you have a 250lb running back:banging:
It involves running between the tackles and out muscling the defensive front 7. ITS STILL WHAT WE DO!!

If you believe we have switched to a zone blocking scheme, running "stretch plays" or any other offense that runs to the outside primarily, then please adjust your set, because that kind of candy ass football isnt being played by the B&G.

:tt03::tt02::tt03:

yeah, f' that weak ass sh...

Preacher
04-26-2008, 03:40 PM

Right... We have abandoned the 3 years and a cloud of dust football. We are still a running team, but expect more than 3 yards per run now.

Jeremy
04-26-2008, 11:25 PM
Right... We have abandoned the 3 years and a cloud of dust football. We are still a running team, but expect more than 3 yards per run now.

Some people want to win, just as long as we're winning "their" way.

Preacher
04-26-2008, 11:28 PM
Some people want to win, just as long as we're winning "their" way.

Yep.

When you go back and watch... often times... its three yards and a cloud of mediocrity. Check out the late 90's for instance.

Being the power team straight up the gut is good. Being teh power team that can go around you OR up the gut OR through the air is much much better.