PDA

View Full Version : What about OL outside of Round 1?

millwalldavey
04-22-2008, 10:24 PM
It's obvious we need to add 2 - 3 new players on the OLine this draft. We're all salivating over Albert or Cherilus or god knows who else with that first pick.

What about some solid ones down the line in 2-7? Melikes:

Mike McGlynn - Pitt OG
6-5 309. (Proj. 3rd)

Any other ideas?

Aussie_steeler
04-22-2008, 11:43 PM
Here are some links for you to check out the O line Talent. A lot of the second and third round prospects appear to be zone blocking scheme players unfortunately.

http://www.lindyssports.com/content.php?id=2223

http://walterfootball.com/draft2008OT.php

Chilo Rachal and Roy Schuening are definite candidates for the 2nd round at the guard position.

Round 3 and on I am keeping an eye on John Greco of Toledo who is a RT that may be better suited to the Guard in the pro's. I agree that Mike McGlynn is a good candidate for the steelers. Also value might be found in Kirk Barton of Ohio State.

Keep analysing:thumbsup:

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-23-2008, 12:19 AM
Again, I could be entirely wrong on draft day, but Simmons, Kemo, Colon, Mahan, Stevenson, Hartwig all can play guard.....I see a Tackle being picked and in that case Anthony Collins or Carl Nicks come into play in round 2 or 3. Maybe Zuttah also, but I think he is being projected as a guard.

I think Barton is more of a guy with experience and little upside that will end up being a backup OT at best.

MasterOfPuppets
04-23-2008, 12:30 AM
Again, I could be entirely wrong on draft day, but Simmons, Kemo, Colon, Mahan, Stevenson, Hartwig all can play guard.....I see a Tackle being picked and in that case Anthony Collins or Carl Nicks come into play in round 2 or 3. Maybe Zuttah also, but I think he is being projected as a guard.

I think Barton is more of a guy with experience and little upside that will end up being a backup OT at best.i'd be willing to bet collins and nicks will be gone by the 38th pick. the rams, falcons, and ravens, should be looking for tackles in the 2nd.

Rhee Rhee
04-23-2008, 12:41 AM
late rounders are mackenzy bernadeau from bentley, pedro sosa rutgers, jordan grimes purdue...

a late round LT is Franklin Dunbar from i think he's from middle tennesse state...

revefsreleets
04-23-2008, 09:22 AM
The kid from Toedo is interesting. Sporting news has him ranked as the #1 Guard in the draft. Of course, SN is a baseball magazine that covers other sports, but it's still food for thought.

It's funny about Barton. The hatahs really hate...I've seen him mocked as low as 7th and even FA. He's a hard worker and coachable...he'll be a nice surprise for whoever drafts him.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-23-2008, 09:48 AM
Here are some links for you to check out the O line Talent. A lot of the second and third round prospects appear to be zone blocking scheme players unfortunately.

http://www.lindyssports.com/content.php?id=2223

http://walterfootball.com/draft2008OT.php

Chilo Rachal and Roy Schuening are definite candidates for the 2nd round at the guard position.

Round 3 and on I am keeping an eye on John Greco of Toledo who is a RT that may be better suited to the Guard in the pro's. I agree that Mike McGlynn is a good candidate for the steelers. Also value might be found in Kirk Barton of Ohio State.

Keep analysing:thumbsup:

Great picks Aussie!!!!

lilyoder6
04-23-2008, 09:53 AM
jordan grimes from purdue is a good player.. he might be there at the 3rd rd.. and thats when we should get him

now w/ the cheifs having the vikings number 1 pick that could mess up our number 23 pick as well since w/ number % they'll replace allen.. and if albert is there they'll take him.. :(

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-23-2008, 10:01 AM
i'd be willing to bet collins and nicks will be gone by the 38th pick. the rams, falcons, and ravens, should be looking for tackles in the 2nd.

Collins yes, but Nicks is kind of raw with only 1 year as a starter and size/feet that remind some of Flozell Adams.....I think he will be there by 38 still.

Also, if the Steelers trade down to the top of the 2nd, they can get Collins and pick up an extra draft pick.

This year is really a glass half empty situation. There are so many OT's that have a first round grade, yet the pessimists think "all the good ones will be gone by #23". Compare that to last year and most thought there was just Thomas and Staley worth picking.

With this depth, it makes no sense to pass on a good OT in the draft.

SteelFist
04-23-2008, 04:45 PM
It's obvious we need to add 2 - 3 new players on the OLine this draft. We're all salivating over Albert or Cherilus or god knows who else with that first pick.

What about some solid ones down the line in 2-7? Melikes:

Mike McGlynn - Pitt OG
6-5 309. (Proj. 3rd)

Any other ideas?

NO WAY is it obvious that we need to add 2-3 O-Linemen in the draft this year :coffee:. That is how many fans feel. But it doesn't mean thats what will happen. Personally, I don't think we need to draft one on the 1st day unless Otah falls to us at 23, or Cherilus or Nicks falls to us at 53.

Having said that, I really like Geoff Schwartz (Oregon) and Brandon Keith (Northern Iowa) in the 3rd or 4th. They are both big and strong maulers that can open up lanes in the running game.

Elvis
04-24-2008, 06:53 AM
:doh: First of all, how many sacks did we give up last year? We must have pass blockers as well folks. If we dont protect the 10million dollar man we wont be talking play-offs this year. I think that the Steelers should be jumping for joy if OG Roy Schuening or Chilo Richal is left in the 2nd round, but I dont think either one will be.

Elvis
04-24-2008, 07:05 AM
:hatsoff: Thanks for the draftlinks... :hatsoff:

SteelFist
04-24-2008, 08:25 AM
We upgraded at Center and the OL is in its 2nd year under the new offense. Also, Ben is not without blame for some of those sacks.....Sorry. We could use additional O-Linemen in here to help this team. But to say that we need 3 is ridiculous. After the top 6 OT's and top 2 OG's, IMO, there are no upgades over what we already have.

And if the Steelers feel comfortable with going into the season with whom we have as the starting line, then so do I.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-24-2008, 11:25 AM
Having said that, I really like Geoff Schwartz (Oregon) and Brandon Keith (Northern Iowa) in the 3rd or 4th. They are both big and strong maulers that can open up lanes in the running game.

Schwartz is really big and really slow footed. He is substantially behind Kirk Barton who I think is maybe a 4th round OT prospect.

Schwartz is more like a 5th or 6th round guy that will have to play guard, because he will just be a matador for speed rushers as an OT.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-24-2008, 11:33 AM
:doh: First of all, how many sacks did we give up last year? We must have pass blockers as well folks. If we dont protect the 10million dollar man we wont be talking play-offs this year. I think that the Steelers should be jumping for joy if OG Roy Schuening or Chilo Richal is left in the 2nd round, but I dont think either one will be.

First of all....it was a lot of sacks. That's why I hope Scheuning is gone. He is a guy that is tough, strong, but not good in space and doesnt have quick feet. He's a smaller, slower version of Kemoateu and I really dont understand the fascination with him other than the fact he is ranked in the top 5 OG lists by the draftniks.

Scheuning is a liability in pass protection, slow to trap or get to LB's at the second level. NFL.com compares him to Jahari Evans of the Saints.....who the hell is Jahari Evans???? He fits with a zone block team where he can take one step laterally and block the guy in front of him......thats all that zone blocking is.

Albert, Zuttah, Rachal are all better guards and considering we have Simmons, Colon, Kemoateu, Mahan, Hartwig, that all play inside, we dont need a high pick on a guard.

Give It To Abercrombie
04-24-2008, 07:43 PM
We upgraded at Center and the OL is in its 2nd year under the new offense. Also, Ben is not without blame for some of those sacks.....Sorry. We could use additional O-Linemen in here to help this team. But to say that we need 3 is ridiculous. After the top 6 OT's and top 2 OG's, IMO, there are no upgades over what we already have.

And if the Steelers feel comfortable with going into the season with whom we have as the starting line, then so do I.

Agreed, completely. :coffee:

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-28-2008, 12:09 AM
Schwartz is really big and really slow footed. He is substantially behind Kirk Barton who I think is maybe a 4th round OT prospect.

Schwartz is more like a 5th or 6th round guy that will have to play guard, because he will just be a matador for speed rushers as an OT.

Guess I was wrong here. Barton and Schwartz went in the 7th....not even the 4th.

Scheuing was just as I thought.....not up to the hype.

Would have liked Collins, but happy we got Hills at least.