PDA

View Full Version : Colon at center????

Lord Stiller
04-23-2008, 03:26 PM
Mark Madden said he heard from a reliable source that Colon will get a good look at playing Center

Can't hurt, give everyone a shot and may the best man win

DACEB
04-23-2008, 03:28 PM
Why did it have to come from Madden?

I wondered last year why they didn't try him there, oh yea, they paid Mahan a ton to do a shit job of it.

Elvis
04-23-2008, 03:39 PM
I think that we have our center of the near future in Justin Hartwig. Colon is a nice talent, but I think that Tomlin needs to settle down and let these guys play their position and quit moving them around every other day. How can anyone learn the position like that?

faneca05
04-23-2008, 04:18 PM
I agree we should just leave colon at tackle and let him develop there, then let Hartwig handle the job at center.

jjpro11
04-23-2008, 05:00 PM
I agree we should just leave colon at tackle and let him develop there, then let Hartwig handle the job at center.

colon was horrible at tackle and never got better last season. i'd rather try him at guard.

revefsreleets
04-23-2008, 05:56 PM
Colon got better as the season progressed. But this sounds like the Steelers are going to play crazy Oline games again this year, and I can't see how that will help. By week two of camp, they need to set a line and stick with it. Let the guys play together, get comfortable with each other and all that. The scheme that was new last year will be old hat, and, at best, we'll maybe have two new guys on the line who have to learn it. We also really nowhere to go but up.

19ward86
04-23-2008, 06:07 PM
Justin Hartwig is actually a really good center, stop moving colon around so much. I dont want him to be like robert gallery.

lilyoder6
04-23-2008, 06:11 PM
u need to put colon at a pos.. and make him work at it.. don't move him around or think about moving around.. u pick a pos and pratice until u are good at it...

BlastFurnace
04-23-2008, 06:59 PM
I'd be very surprised to see this. We are already 3 deep at Center with Hartwig, Mahan, and Stapleton.

Preacher
04-24-2008, 02:12 AM
I'd be very surprised to see this. We are already 3 deep at Center with Hartwig, Mahan, and Stapleton.

I have to disagree... I would guess Mahan is being looked at almost solely at LG.

Galax Steeler
04-24-2008, 04:36 AM
I don't see mahan playing center no more unless it came down to injuries.

DACEB
04-24-2008, 07:24 AM
I see Mahan as a cap casualty.

Aussie_steeler
04-24-2008, 07:48 AM
Hartwig covers center this season until Alex Mack is drafted next year.

With a lesser player than Faneca standing at LG there is no way Mahan plays center again. If Faneca couldnt help make Mahan look good then I dont like the chances of a new starter. Depending on Training camp he could well be a cap casualty

SteelFist
04-24-2008, 08:36 AM
I just hope Colon gets stronger. He couldn't push the pile at all last season, and thats one thing at least Starks could do. Colon is just a better pass protector than Starks and I guess thats not saying much.

All in all, everything depends on what happens this Sat. But I agree, Colon doesn't need to be tried at Center. We already have Mahan and Stapleton as backups. Besides, didn't they try him at C during last years OTA's??

bizob2828
04-24-2008, 10:13 AM
Long time since I've visited...need to start contributing to posts, but anyways...I think Colon should not be tried at Center, we already have depth there and we need to use Colon as intended when we got him. Still a little upset about getting Mahan last year but hope we don't spend too much time trying to find our next Hartings or Dawson.

ChronoCross
04-24-2008, 12:31 PM
You know I am not use to all this center talk. We have always had a HOF type center and now were picking up here say this guy has maybe a shot and the tool that tomlin brought over from tampa failing badly at the position. Mahan is normally a guard in the first place. We bring in some promise of a starter in Hartwig but will he win the job.

Who will be are next great center guys. Will a new era of a great center start this year are does anyone think it might take another year before we find another top center.

fansince'76
04-24-2008, 12:35 PM
Who will be are next great center guys. Will a new era of a great center start this year are does anyone think it might take another year before we find another top center.

Hartwig is a stopgap. If he was going to be a HoF-caliber center, he would have shown it by now. Fact is, we lucked out getting Webster, Dawson and then Hartings back-to-back-to-back.

stlrtruck
04-24-2008, 01:18 PM
Hartwig is a stopgap. If he was going to be a HoF-caliber center, he would have shown it by now. Fact is, we lucked out getting Webster, Dawson and then Hartings back-to-back-to-back.

We definitely has been spoiled at Center, but having one more back in there wouldn't have hurt!

Lord Stiller
04-24-2008, 03:04 PM

I almost wish we would have drafted Mangold to continue the legacy

but we did get Holmes instead

DACEB
04-24-2008, 03:07 PM
I almost wish we would have drafted Mangold to continue the legacy

but we did get Holmes instead

As much as I like Holmes, I really wanted Mangold. We wouldn't have had to give up anything to get him either. I still say that was Cohwer trying to win it again instead of thinking about the future, which he did not have here.

HometownGal
04-24-2008, 05:01 PM

Maybe Hartwig needs a "change of venue" to show what he's got - who knows? :noidea: We'll find out soon enough.

You are absolutely right about the Steelers lucking out with 3 GREAT centers in a row. Dirt and Hartings were awesome, but imho, there will never be another C like Iron Mike. RIP.

fansince'76
04-24-2008, 05:08 PM
Maybe Hartwig needs a "change of venue" to show what he's got - who knows? :noidea: We'll find out soon enough.

Good point - Hartings never made the Pro Bowl until he came to us and switched to center. Fingers crossed. :hope:

lilyoder6
04-24-2008, 05:57 PM
he needs to revive his career w/ us and have our o-line actually dominate this yr

Galax Steeler
04-25-2008, 04:30 AM
I think Hartwig will be alot better here then he was in carolina.