PDA

View Full Version : My strange prediction...Otah will slide. Maybe to #23.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-24-2008, 11:01 AM
I may be completely off, but I've been thinking that Jeff Otah will be passed on by a lot of teams. He might even get to #23.

He improved his 40 time at his pro day, but still didnt run a short shuttle, so his lateral quickness is still a big question mark. He stands way too high and doesnt bend well at the hips and knees in pass protection. He played great against Chris Long, but poor against Rutgers....too inconsistent.

Long is off the board.
Clady is a more athletic LT and should be drafted higher
Williams is a more athletic LT and should be drafted higher
Albert can play LT and is definately more athletic.
Cherilus moves better than Otah and some teams may like him more.
Sam Baker played 4 seasons for USC at LT and is a better athlete, but not as large.

Just a hunch, but I think there might be a few questions marks that might scare teams off the big man. Of course, I could be wrong, but this is my bold pre-draft prediction.

revefsreleets
04-24-2008, 12:20 PM
Not so bold. He's slowish and doesn't move particularly well. There are questions about him. I don't think his stock is necessarily dropping, but if a few teams that are looking at OT see something they don't like, he could drop out of the first entirely.

Aussie_steeler
04-24-2008, 08:04 PM
All the zone blocking scheme teams will be a little worried with him IMO. He may be a liability in their scheme due to his agility doubts. There is a big chance he could fall, but the question is how far.

Do teams like Chicago or Denver prioritise OT or another position?
Does KC take a DE or OT at #5 and same again at #17.

An early run on CB's or WR's will help an OT fall to us.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-24-2008, 08:28 PM
All the zone blocking scheme teams will be a little worried with him IMO. He may be a liability in their scheme due to his agility doubts. There is a big chance he could fall, but the question is how far.

Do teams like Chicago or Denver prioritise OT or another position?
Does KC take a DE or OT at #5 and same again at #17.

An early run on CB's or WR's will help an OT fall to us.

I think KC goes Ryan if he is there and then OT at 17.
I think Denver will go OT, but Otah doesnt fit.
Chicago needs an OT, but also needs a RB...so does Detroit.

The big wildcard to me is Sam Baker. The guy played 4 seasons of LT at USC and is an athlete that fits with some teams like Denver, but they wont want him that high. I think there is a good chance Otah falls to us, but if not.....then Cherilus should be there.

Aussie_steeler
04-24-2008, 08:43 PM
IF Otah and Cherilus are gone do you consider Baker at #23?

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-24-2008, 10:27 PM

I like Baker, but really dont think he fits in the Steelers type of offense. He's athletic and good in pass pro, but not a strong run blocker like we need. Again, maybe he fits more in a zone blocking or west coast offense.

If Otah and Cherilus are gone, then I assume the other top 4 O linemen are already gone, so I would look to trade down or take the best D-lineman or CB available.

Rhee Rhee
04-25-2008, 12:59 AM

i think i'd prefer kentwan balmer or jon stewart or quintein groves and a bit of reach pick could be antoine cason...

Galax Steeler
04-25-2008, 03:55 AM
i think i'd prefer kentwan balmer or jon stewart or quintein groves and a bit of reach pick could be antoine cason...

I would like the stewart or groves pick.

steelymcmatt
04-25-2008, 05:30 AM
I would like the stewart or groves pick.

I'm curious galax....do you dislike Balmer for some reason?

revefsreleets
04-25-2008, 08:57 AM
This is all assuming the Steelers are looking T in RD 1. Many mocks have G, some have LB, DE, I've seen RB, WR CB. It's a total crapshoot at this point.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-25-2008, 10:34 AM
This is all assuming the Steelers are looking T in RD 1. Many mocks have G, some have LB, DE, I've seen RB, WR CB. It's a total crapshoot at this point.

Exactly. Personally I think the FO has done a great job of confusing the rest of the world on who they want to pick.

But really.....what was the weakest part of our team last year??? Hint, Ben almost got sacked 50 times.

What was done to improve the O line this year???? Sign Starks, sign Hartwig??

What draft has had better talent at OT in the past 25 years??? None.

If the Steelers dont draft an OT with Smith and Starks both on the last year of their contracts......it will be like the Lions drafting another WR in the first.

Texasteel
04-25-2008, 05:10 PM
Exactly. Personally I think the FO has done a great job of confusing the rest of the world on who they want to pick.

But really.....what was the weakest part of our team last year??? Hint, Ben almost got sacked 50 times.

If the Steelers dont draft an OT with Smith and Starks both on the last year of their contracts......it will be like the Lions drafting another WR in the first.

Some real good point Gonzo. This years OTs are pretty good but I think next years is better, and I think next years C class will be better also.

The signing of Hartwig helps the interior of the line a bunch, the signing of Starks, I think, just buys us another year.

I do expect the Steelers to take a OT and maybe a OG this year, and probably a OT and maybe a C next year.

Elvis
04-25-2008, 05:21 PM
:noidea: I dunno... but I would Not be upset if the Steelers select OT Sam Baker in the 1st round. He has played against better competition and I think he will be a better all-around player than Otah.

lilyoder6
04-25-2008, 05:36 PM
i do think that we will start this yr and next yr to get our line solidfied 4 yrs to come

revefsreleets
04-25-2008, 06:38 PM

Only time will tell on that particular prognostication. But I certainly agree with the last part of your assessment. The Steelers are one of only a handful of teams (the Eagles are MASTERS at this) who actually draft with NEXT years FA departures in mind.

I still say they go Stewart if he's there at 23, though. Then OT in 2. If not, tackle makes sense.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-25-2008, 08:02 PM
:noidea: I dunno... but I would Not be upset if the Steelers select OT Sam Baker in the 1st round. He has played against better competition and I think he will be a better all-around player than Otah.

I would really be upset if Baker was picked at #23. Good all around lineman, but has short arms and not a great run blocker. If you want a Tackle that doesnt get a push on D linemen in the run game or will have DE's beat him because of his lack of reach.....great.

He is better suited to play on a team where he can use technique to get angles on defenders and maybe play guard because of his lack of ideal reach for an OT. Again, zone blocking team like the Broncos would love him, but not a Steeler!

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-25-2008, 08:04 PM
Only time will tell on that particular prognostication. .

Yes, but its what many NFL scouts and GM's are apparantly saying....this is the best OT draft in decades.

revefsreleets
04-26-2008, 05:02 PM
Well, apparently all the teams ahead of thought as much, hence the run on all the OL. It's awesome that we didn't reach...

This also demonstrates the faith the FO has in Starks, Colon, et al...

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-26-2008, 05:48 PM
Well, apparently all the teams ahead of thought as much, hence the run on all the OL. It's awesome that we didn't reach...

This also demonstrates the faith the FO has in Starks, Colon, et al...

Faith has little to do with it.

Basically its like musical chairs......everybody else already had a chair when #23 came up, so BAA was Mendenhall.

I'm just happy we didnt have to reach for Baker.

Texasteel
04-26-2008, 09:11 PM
Keep in mind, the next two 1st round OTs were Brown and Baker. Both 2nd round picks IMO.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-26-2008, 10:20 PM
Keep in mind, the next two 1st round OTs were Brown and Baker. Both 2nd round picks IMO.

Yeah, kind of funny that some of the 2nd rounders went in the first and no OT's went in the 2nd.

Still gonna be some good O linemen in the 3rd. Collins, Zuttah, Nicks, Scheuning.

revefsreleets
04-26-2008, 11:49 PM
I disagree yet again. If the Steelers were as desperate for OL as many speculated, they would have tried to move up. Clearly they were looking skill players on day 1 all the way, and OL will be addressed on day 2.

For some reason, whenever I suggest that the Steelers FO actually knows what they are doing concerning our OL, it's usually met with derision.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-27-2008, 08:19 PM
I disagree yet again. If the Steelers were as desperate for OL as many speculated, they would have tried to move up. Clearly they were looking skill players on day 1 all the way, and OL will be addressed on day 2.

For some reason, whenever I suggest that the Steelers FO actually knows what they are doing concerning our OL, it's usually met with derision.

The steelers themselves said it was a matter of guys like Mendenhall and Sweed falling when they thought they would not be there.

The FO also said they were not likely to trade up with only 6 picks.

Larry Zeriline the O line coach said that there was a run on O linemen and they were all gone by then. I am 100% positive that if Otah or Cherilus were there at #23, then they would be the pick. The were not targeting skill players, just players of value....right or wrong.

My real hope is that Hills can start at RT next year and that somehow Doug Legursky can start at center in 2 or 3 seasons and there is no need to try and get Alex Mack next year in the draft.

The future O line could see Hills at LT, Kemo, Legursky (C)(or 2009 pick), Colon and 2009 draft pick at RT.