PDA

View Full Version : Snipes Gets 3 Years for Tax Fraud

fansince'76
04-24-2008, 07:54 PM
Action Star Wesley Snipes Sentenced to 3 Years in Jail for Tax Fraud

April 24, 2008

Wesley Snipes is heading to the slammer.

A Florida judge sentenced the "Blade" movie star to three years in jail today. Snipes was convicted of tax fraud in February for not filing his income taxes for at least three years.

Snipes Gets 3 Years (http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/FedCrimes/story?id=4718482&page=1)

HometownGal
04-24-2008, 09:24 PM
While I agree that he should have been given some jail time to teach him a lesson that Hollywood isn't above the law, I feel 3 years is pretty excessive considering that others who have committed far more henous crimes than tax fraud have been sentenced to less time.

SteelersMongol
04-24-2008, 09:42 PM
This sucks. I always liked Snipes even though he didn't make anything close to average good movies he used make. I used argue with my friends who was better martial art-actor when it comes to Snipes vs. Jet Li.

But he should've known better. I balme the greedy Hollywood managers 4 this. They could've prevented it a long ago before it happens.

Atlanta Dan
04-24-2008, 10:16 PM
While I agree that he should have been given some jail time to teach him a lesson that Hollywood isn't above the law, I feel 3 years is pretty excessive considering that others who have committed far more henous crimes than tax fraud have been sentenced to less time.

Maybe it had something to do with brilliant arguments such as this::grin:

Mr. Snipes’s legal team also questioned the validity of federal sentencing guidelines. At one point, one of his lawyers, Carmen Hernandez, described herself as “an expert on sentencing.”

Judge Hodges replied, “If I may be so bold, I’ve also had some experience with that.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/25/business/25snipes.html?ref=business

Very few tax protester cases are prosecuted - when one is brought the Feds want to smack the defendant since the tax system is based on voluntary compliance.

I pay my taxes in full and I am confident so does almost every poster on this board - I have no problem with someone like Snipes, who has made millions, getting whacked - we are not dealing with taking questionable deductions here

GBMelBlount
04-24-2008, 10:22 PM
Atlanta Dan

Judge Hodges replied, “If I may be so bold, I’ve also had some experience with that.” (sentencing)

LMAO!!!!!!!! Absolutely hysterical.

Dino 6 Rings
04-25-2008, 12:47 PM
He should have gotten prison time for making me sit through Blade 3.

Jeremy
04-25-2008, 01:25 PM
Maybe now he can relive his role in Undisputed.

CB1977
04-25-2008, 02:30 PM
But he should've known better. I balme the greedy Hollywood managers 4 this. They could've prevented it a long ago before it happens.

You said it right the first time...he should have known better. He can't blame anyone but himself for this.

You don't mess with the IRS.

Elvis
04-25-2008, 07:50 PM
The superstars all think that they are above the law. They should have to pay just like I do on my taxes. Just because you make millions doesnt mean you should get tax cuts that the poor and middle class folks need more.