PDA

View Full Version : Running back disaster

SteelersWyo
11-07-2005, 11:55 PM
We are doomed if the running back situation does not improve. With injuries happening every week and the shuffle going on you cannot be consistent. Bad running game means fewer wins. Bitch about the defense if you want, but you know what the problem has been? The running game. Steeler ball is 7 minute drives with points at the end. We are not getting that. Running game is the issue. Let the D rest, get them fired up, and hammer the other team. Just is not happening.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-08-2005, 12:27 AM
We're lucky to have the depth that we have... most teams would be finished by now and resorting to throwing the ball 50 times a game because they have no running backs. we've to 3 who can carry the load at any given time, and Staley did an outstanding job on sunday.

Yes we most definately need to get healthy, I agree and we've gotta give the Defense more rest. Its time to suck it up, whoever is back there has GOT to be productive, but that all starts w/ the OL first and foremost.

JerseySTEEL
11-08-2005, 12:34 AM
uh last time i checked where 6-2, u just need to calm down your thinking there's bigger problem then what there is lol. Duce is a starting RB and wasnt he the one rolling last year in the start? So why is it a bad thing to get a starter back lol. I love willie parker and was one of the first people to talk about him, but since we have 3 great rb's why is it a problem to switch them even if its due to injurys ? Which the injury's aren't all that bad a sprained ankle on willie and Bettis with a calf problem at max either one will be healthy in 2 weeks and with duce starting to let loose why not let him run and not doubt him, instead give him some credit he may be injury prone the past couple of years but lets back up the starting RB like Bettis and Willie both will do. Yes running the ball is a big factor in our gameplan but if Ben can throw the ball 30 time and does great why cant we? It's all about changing our gameplan to fit the teams we play and sometimes its easier to pass but dont get me wrong we will still run just not 30 times a game. So in all dont freak out about somthing that isn't much of a issue that u make it out to be.

clevestinks
11-08-2005, 04:50 AM
The running game does make me nervous to. It doesn`t help having Batch in there, the opposing defenses are just keying the run. Our defense also has some holes ,GB hada fifthe string running back, and a mis match oline, and they ran on us

Ambridge
11-08-2005, 07:12 AM
The running back situation has me a little concerned as well.

Bettis is nicked up again.
Duce may be back but we all know it's only a matter of time before he's back on the pine.
Willie Parker has a sprained ankle and even when healthy he needs Duce and or Jerome to switch things up.
Verron Haynes has been the poster child for Steeler injuries the last few season and like Duce it's only a matter of time.

All of these players need to get healthy and stay healthy especially Jerome and Duce.

Has any team picked up "A-train" Anthony Thomas after Dallas released him last week??
If he's not too much of a financial burden and is healthy as well maybe the Steelers could bring him in for extra insurance at RB????

Suitanim
11-08-2005, 10:25 AM
I actually think we are just able to give guys a week off here and there that would normally be playing every week...the goal is clearly to have all 3 of our top backs healthy for the playoffs.

Koopa
11-08-2005, 03:50 PM
The running back situation has me a little concerned as well.

Bettis is nicked up again.
Duce may be back but we all know it's only a matter of time before he's back on the pine.
Willie Parker has a sprained ankle and even when healthy he needs Duce and or Jerome to switch things up.
Verron Haynes has been the poster child for Steeler injuries the last few season and like Duce it's only a matter of time.

All of these players need to get healthy and stay healthy especially Jerome and Duce.

Has any team picked up "A-train" Anthony Thomas after Dallas released him last week??
If he's not too much of a financial burden and is healthy as well maybe the Steelers could bring him in for extra insurance at RB????

the saints picked him up today........i'm just gonna stay postive and hope duce stays healthy long enough for the bus and parker to get fully healthy.

Cape Cod Steel Head
11-08-2005, 05:19 PM
I agree. When you only throw for 65 yds teams know what we are going to do. Eveything will be better once Bens back. Duce diffentantly answered the call the call last week, and hopefully Batch has shaken off the rust. We need to utilitize Miller now more than ever. Safe screens to the backs and dump off to Miller will help keep their D honest.

Avoid LLoyd1975
11-08-2005, 09:59 PM
Duce is no starter in my opinion. A solid #2 I consider. Plus he is never at 100% at what his abilities might be. We will never probably know.

Suitanim
11-08-2005, 10:08 PM
Duce was a VERY effective starting when he was healthy. He's a big strong runner with a little juke in his step, plus he's an excellent blocking back and receiver. For the first 5-6 games last year, he was splitting time with the Bus and was still ranked in the top 5-10 in almost every RB category (except TD's, since Bettis was used exclusively in short yard/goalline situations).

If he can stay healthy, Duce is a very solid #1/#2 RB. There are a lot of teams that would like to have him...if he can stay healthy.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-08-2005, 11:08 PM
I'll take Duce as a starter anyday..remember he had about 700 yds rushing before he got injured..he was leading the team. The guy can play and runs hard...no doubt we have to have all of them healthy for the stretch run..but willie and bus have been pulling the weight while Duce healed..now its his turn while they heal. It's just a cycle every team that has injuries goes thru.

Koopa
11-08-2005, 11:38 PM
Duce is no starter in my opinion. A solid #2 I consider. Plus he is never at 100% at what his abilities might be. We will never probably know.

:wtf: you crazy mayne, duce is a starting back in this league, if he would stay healthy he'd have damn near 1000 yards already. i'm glad he's back and he should return us the power run that we need to keep batch from throwing and keep our d off the field. ppl don't chant ddddduuuuuuuuccccccccccceeeeeeee cause he's a number 2 back, they do it cause they know when healthy he's one of the best in the league espically in our system

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
11-08-2005, 11:41 PM
Duce would be a great back if he could just stay healthy.
I hope we get a back in the draft this year. early too

I.C. Lights
11-08-2005, 11:45 PM
Lawrence Maroney would be nice...

Suitanim
11-08-2005, 11:50 PM
Lawrence Maroney would be nice...

I haven't seen a running back with such nice balance and power and awareness since Shaun Alexander at Alabama. He's gonna be a good one...

BlitzburghRockCity
11-09-2005, 12:12 AM
Im telling ya, when we make a draft day trade for larry johnson..I want everyone on SF to buy me a beer for calling it :cheers:

Prosdo
11-09-2005, 12:32 AM
Duce was a VERY effective starting when he was healthy. He's a big strong runner with a little juke in his step, plus he's an excellent blocking back and receiver. For the first 5-6 games last year, he was splitting time with the Bus and was still ranked in the top 5-10 in almost every RB category (except TD's, since Bettis was used exclusively in short yard/goalline situations).

If he can stay healthy, Duce is a very solid #1/#2 RB. There are a lot of teams that would like to have him...if he can stay healthy.

I have to agree with Suit. The only thing holding Duce back is his injuries. If he could stay healthy we would be set.

SEMP
11-09-2005, 09:40 PM
Duce is an excellent running back. I don't know where all the complaints on the defense come from. The D has been givin up some yards but they are tough when they need to be and thats all that matters (great stats are only braggin rights for losers).

Koopa
11-09-2005, 09:52 PM
Im telling ya, when we make a draft day trade for larry johnson..I want everyone on SF to buy me a beer for calling it :cheers:

that would be tight, but there is rumors that priest holmes might be done for good, hopefully holmes can recover and we can make a trade for him

SteelersWyo
11-09-2005, 11:15 PM
Funny how when anyone says Duce is a good/starting running back the next thing they say is "when he is healthy". Doesn't that shoot your argument down?