PDA

View Full Version : Official Steelers 2008 NFL Draft Day Talk Thread

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7

Preacher
04-26-2008, 06:24 PM
every run isnt always through a wide open hole. the thinking is mendenhall can create his own holes like jerome used to.

i think having had jerome gives alot of perception that our past line parted defenses like the red sea.

your right.

I think the OL got a quick push, and Bettis was able to push that momentum.

I don't know though... the transition form run to pass... the different blocking schemes.. everything else. who knows.

However, our line actually played REALLY good the first half of the year. As did our D.

It may be the fact that Training camp and practice in pads all year just wore them out.

43Hitman
04-26-2008, 06:25 PM
so on tv when does the draft go till end of first? 2nd? and sunday what rounds are on?

The first 2 rounds will be shown today.. Then tomorrow they will pick up on the 3rd round.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
04-26-2008, 06:25 PM
so on tv when does the draft go till end of first? 2nd? and sunday what rounds are on?

I think that the live coverage ends after the first but they keep the updates going at the bottom of the screen.

OneForTheToe
04-26-2008, 06:26 PM
I would if I were you = believe it or not I was (mostly) joking

I thought you probably were - after reading your posts over time.. I was just looking for a opportunity to make a South Park reference. :hatsoff:

meelanova
04-26-2008, 06:27 PM
im happy with the pick, seems like a steal although i don't know much about him, now we just need some linemen

I fully agree. We need defensive and offensive linemen. An ILB (Farrior isnt getting any younger), FS and WR as well.

Preacher
04-26-2008, 06:28 PM
Certainly not taking a shot at you

I just find Colbert claiming remaining OTs may be around 32 picks later to be pure spin

Went back to read the P-G article on RB picks earlier this week

Oregon's Jonathan Stewart, a 5-10, 235-pound bull of a runner, or Illinois' Rashard Mendenhall, 10 pounds lighter but with 4.41 speed, would look great alternating with Willie Parker in the backfield next season. But those two project higher than the Steelers' spot at No. 23 and it appears, the value at running back when it comes their turn in the first round won't hold

Somewhere, a running back could be in the Steelers' draft this weekend, but there's more of a chance that will happen in the third or fourth rounds; the draft is deep in good backs and it's not as if the Steelers are desperate for one.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08114/875607-66.stm

So Mendenhall apparently is value for the position at #23, but does not fill an immediate need - I had thought this was an "immediate need" draft on both sides of the line and for that reason am not excited about this pick

AD...

Excellent post.. and my thoughts exactly.

I like the pick in isolation... but knowing our other needs... I was worried.

Preacher
04-26-2008, 06:29 PM
DANG IT JETS

WE NEEDED A TIGHT END!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fansince'76
04-26-2008, 06:30 PM
DANG IT JETS

Nope, I say we go PK all the way in the 2nd. :chuckle:

tony hipchest
lol. the jets are still trying to make up for passing on heath miller.

j-e-t-s....suck suck suck!

OneForTheToe
DANG IT JETS

no one has taken a punter yet.

43Hitman
04-26-2008, 06:31 PM
DANG IT JETS

lol. I heard that Kuhn's sister's husband's brother-in-law is still on the board. We can only hope right?

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
04-26-2008, 06:31 PM
all i know is that our 1st and second rounder need to be players that can contribute this year....

Mendenhall will........He will spit runs with parker.......Could be a starter for the steelers......but we have parker......

Our second round pick must........be able to fill in this year......i

and the third tound........well hopefuly he is a starter.........steal........offensive linemen

Hypocycloid
04-26-2008, 06:32 PM
Certainly not taking a shot at you

I just find Colbert claiming remaining OTs may be around 32 picks later to be pure spin

Went back to read the P-G article on RB picks earlier this week

Oregon's Jonathan Stewart, a 5-10, 235-pound bull of a runner, or Illinois' Rashard Mendenhall, 10 pounds lighter but with 4.41 speed, would look great alternating with Willie Parker in the backfield next season. But those two project higher than the Steelers' spot at No. 23 and it appears, the value at running back when it comes their turn in the first round won't hold

Somewhere, a running back could be in the Steelers' draft this weekend, but there's more of a chance that will happen in the third or fourth rounds; the draft is deep in good backs and it's not as if the Steelers are desperate for one.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08114/875607-66.stm

So Mendenhall apparently is value for the position at #23, but does not fill an immediate need - I had thought this was an "immediate need" draft on both sides of the line and for that reason am not excited about this pick

I agree that this isn't an immediate need as Offensive Line is however, I still think it is a need to have a powerful runner who also has speed in case Willie gets hurt. He is also a pass catch.....not sure about blocking but it sounds like he has it all. Might keep Ben from getting a few Sacks.

OL would have been a reach at this pick. A running back is one of the few positions where a rookie would have an immediate impact. If they drafted an OLineman, I don't think he would have sat for a year anyway unless there was an injury. That is the way the Steelers work. There was no value there at 23 for OLine. Mendenhall was a steal at 23.

TackleMeBen
04-26-2008, 06:32 PM
i am going to be the first one to say this... this draft pick was all parker's fault....lol

jjpro11
04-26-2008, 06:33 PM
we got the best player, by far, available with our pick. i love it.

OneForTheToe
lol. I heard that Kuhn's sister's husband's brother-in-law is still on the board. We can only hope right?

I think the all the kuhn's have become "Ascended Beings," with little time for our earthly pursuits.

BettisFan
all i know is that our 1st and second rounder need to be players that can contribute this year....

Mendenhall will........He will spit runs with parker.......Could be a starter for the steelers......but we have parker......

Our second round pick must........be able to fill in this year......i

and the third tound........well hopefuly he is a starter.........steal........offensive linemen

oh man i hope mendenhall starts

43Hitman
04-26-2008, 06:34 PM
I think the all the kuhn's have become "Ascended Beings," with little time for our earthly pursuits.

:sofunny:

fansince'76
04-26-2008, 06:35 PM

Yep, who needs a guy who led the league in rushing most of the season last year running behind one of the worst lines in the league?

The Duke
04-26-2008, 06:35 PM

you kidding? willie's a proven player and a pro bowler.

they'll most likely split carries with willie getting some more

BettisFan
04-26-2008, 06:36 PM
Yep, who needs a guy who led the league in rushing most of the season last year behind one of the worst lines in the league?

well lol parker is playing on a body thats injured now no matter what anyone will say he will play worse also yea great yardage guy but had 2 TDs?! so yea go Mendenhall!

OneForTheToe
04-26-2008, 06:37 PM
that was a nice pick by the Giants, IMO.

Preacher
Yep, who needs a guy who led the league in rushing most of the season last year behind one of the worst lines in the league?

Yeah.

Didn't you hear?

Willie sucks. he is too small. he isn't Steelers material.

The Duke
well lol parker is playing on a body thats injured now no matter what anyone will say he will play worse also yea great yardage guy but had 2 TDs?! so yea go Mendenhall!

it was his freakin fibula!! that heals up real fast and normally has no long lasting effects

fansince'76
04-26-2008, 06:38 PM
Yeah.

Didn't you hear?

Willie sucks. he is too small. he isn't Steelers material.

Yep, I know. :rolleyes:

BettisFan
04-26-2008, 06:39 PM
it was his freakin fibula!! that heals up real fast and normally has no long lasting effects

dude even willie asked for a runningback becuase he wont be as good as last year and if he is going to say that then yea he isnt as good.

Preacher
Well...

There goes merline...

Ok.

Who now?

We going WR?

tony hipchest
willie could slow down a bit and be a cap casualty by the time he is 30, or continue to break out and demand $8 million dollars a year when his contract is up. with santonio and miller needing extended, i doubt willie gets his HUGE contract with the steelers.

either way, we are set at rb for the next 5 years. and after all, that position is pretty important to us.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
04-26-2008, 06:41 PM
dude even willie asked for a runningback becuase he wont be as good as last year and if he is going to say that then yea he isnt as good.

it has nothing to do with Willie be as good...........Willie will have another 1,000 yard season......but Mendenhall will be able to give willie a break in games and will extend his career

The Duke

yeah, willie said he wanted another runningback to not overwork him, he didn't say he wanted someone to take his job away from him, which is what you said

Steelman16
Bummer, there goes Merling...WR for 2nd round pick?

BozMan
04-26-2008, 06:42 PM
I hope he can help pick up blitzes.

Blitz pick up is one of Mendenhall's weaknesses, IMO. Anyone watch the Illinois-USC Rose Bowl? I still remember a USC pass-rusher running right through Mendenhall as if he were a hologram on a crucial third down in the second half, which led to a drive-killing sack.

Given our glaring needs on both lines, I don't like this pick much at all. And I say that as a U of I alum.

Sure it will be nice to a see an Illini suiting up in the black and gold, but this team does not need an RB, especially after we already picked up Moore.

TackleMeBen
well at least they didnt take a tall reciever with their first pick...lol....:wink02: so we know that ben isnt making the picks..lol :sofunny:

Preacher

Really? He said.. "I am not going to be as good, so pick someone to replace me." That is what he said? I guess the press missed that.

What he really said was... "Bring someone in here to spell me that isn't a schlub so I don't have to carry THE ENTIRE BLEEPING LOAD."

That is what was behind what he said.

ajs8207
Blitz pick up is one of Mendenhall's weaknesses, IMO. Anyone watch the Illinois-USC Rose Bowl? I still remember a USC pass-rusher running right through Mendenhall as if he were a hologram on a crucial third down in the second half, which led to a drive-killing sack.

Given our glaring needs on both lines, I don't like this pick much at all. And I say that as a U of I alum.

Sure it will be nice to a see an Illini suiting up in the black and gold, but this team does not need an RB, especially after we already picked up Moore.

Moore will be our third down rb, so his blitz pick up is not such a big deal.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
04-26-2008, 06:43 PM
i also think that Mendenhall will give the steelers options in 2 years to trade willie.. Could happen......

fansince'76

Thank you.

TackleMeBen
i think we should take chad henne with our next pick..lol:wink02:

Preacher
04-26-2008, 06:44 PM

I agree.

I gotta think that it was just too expensive to move up to get a OL.

Steelman16
First Wide Receiver taken by the Rams...Avery? Wow.

BritishSteel

Huh? I thought it was because he was worried about injuries given the number of carries he was getting per season - nothing to do with how good he thought he'd be. Self-confidence ain't FWP's problem.

If FWP's in good shap come pre-season, he gets the majority of carries. He's earned it. A thought though - do we play an occasional split-back formation to use the extra options Rashard gives us?

ajs8207
what's going on with lawrence timmons and woodley? are they gonna be starting anytime soon?

Woodley this year. Timmons will challenge for a spot this year but definitely will start in 09 if not this year

BozMan
04-26-2008, 06:45 PM
Given the way the O-lineman were taken in the first round and our inability/unwillingness to trade, I thought Kentwan Balmer from UNC would have been the most logical pick.

BritishSteel
04-26-2008, 06:46 PM
Ha, WR's starting to go now.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
04-26-2008, 06:47 PM
Avery? why would they do that
they could have traded down............ALOT

Give It To Abercrombie
if collins or nicks is sitting there, that will be our 2nd pick, an OT. If they are both gone, look defense.

Blitzburgh_Fever
I think we go WR. I hope we get a good OL (my knowledge ended at Duane Brown), but I trust Colbert has a plan behind this other than picking whoever ESPN thinks is the best. I like the Mendenhall pick, provided we can resuscitate the line appropriately with assignments shifts and late picks.

Hopefully Parker can get the yards and Mendenhall can punch the rock in. I think of the Arizona came where, had we a true powerback, we could've punched it in and potentially won. I'm sure there were other instances, but that one sticks out.

And to whoever said they hope Mendenhall starts...Parker is kind of proven, fibulas aren't a big deal, and no doubt Parker wanted someone to split carries with. He had a freaking million. I recall reading an article that stated every Sunday a RB feels like they just got in a series of bad car wrecks. Most teams are switching to a two-back system, no surprise we're keeping an eye to the future.

I like the pick by itself, it depends on the rest of the draft to see if it's amazing. We picked the best guy on the board, had we gone WR the same argument would be made about OL, and the OL left were of 2nd caliber mostly. Philip Merling would've been nice...

OneForTheToe
There go the recievers off the board.

BozMan
04-26-2008, 06:48 PM
Moore will be our third down rb, so his blitz pick up is not such a big deal.

It is a big deal because a player taken in the first round should not have glaring weaknesses. He should be well-rounded and skilled in all areas.

jason97673
04-26-2008, 06:49 PM
if collins or nicks is sitting there, that will be our 2nd pick, an OT. If they are both gone, look defense.

No to Nicks. I dont want a guy who will be 30 in 5 years.

ajs8207
04-26-2008, 06:51 PM
It is a big deal because a player taken in the first round should not have glaring weaknesses. He should be well-rounded and skilled in all areas.

Most rbs coming out aren't great blockers. I don't think we should be picking rb's for their blocking, just like we shouldn't pick wr's just because they are great blockers.

fansince'76
04-26-2008, 06:51 PM

Not to mention when the OL sucks out loud. I'm more concerned with protecting a certain recent $102 million investment than the number of carries Willie is or isn't getting, but that's just me.

OneForTheToe
04-26-2008, 06:52 PM
Three recievers in the last four picks.

The Duke
04-26-2008, 06:52 PM
why are the packers taking a receiver? they have one of the best receiver corps in the league

Steelman16
04-26-2008, 06:53 PM
Receivers are gettin' calls like hotcakes, but none that I've really heard of...

Where's Limas, Hardy and Manningham? The only big name gone now is Thomas.

Hypocycloid
04-26-2008, 06:53 PM
Chicago reached a little

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
04-26-2008, 06:54 PM
ya but not the top receivers

TackleMeBen
04-26-2008, 06:54 PM
Not to mention when the OL sucks out loud. I'm more concerned with protecting a certain recent $102 million investment than the number of carries Willie is or isn't getting, but that's just me.
:iagree: what good is spending that much on ben if he is going to be hurt or laying on his back most of the season... i prefer seeing him upright and throwing bombs down field for TDs

OneForTheToe
04-26-2008, 06:57 PM
Baltimore is going to take receiver.

ajs8207
04-26-2008, 06:57 PM
:iagree: what good is spending that much on ben if he is going to be hurt or laying on his back most of the season... i prefer seeing him upright and throwing bombs down field for TDs

But why reach and have an OT version of Troy Edwards?

TackleMeBen
04-26-2008, 06:59 PM
But why reach and have an OT version of Troy Edwards?
well since the coaches think the OLine is fine.. we will see if ben can get sacked 50 times this season.. we can start playing over and under on sacks..lol

Hypocycloid
04-26-2008, 06:59 PM
I meant GB reached a little.

ajs8207
04-26-2008, 07:01 PM
well since the coaches think the OLine is fine.. we will see if ben can get sacked 50 times this season.. we can start playing over and under on sacks..lol

Believe me I understand I think our o-line needs help. However, we can get more or less the same OT in the 2nd as we could have at that spot. We couldn't have gotten any RB anywhere close to Mendenhall in round 2.

SteelerMurf
04-26-2008, 07:01 PM

OK, what offensive lineman would you have reached with at 23?

I don't think anyone realizes how much of an upgrade getting Hartwig at center. A lot of the sacks came right up the middle as Mahan got swatted like a fly.

Steelman16
04-26-2008, 07:03 PM
Was just looking at the available WR's, and something tells me DeSean's pride is getting stabbed really hard. ;P

TackleMeBen
04-26-2008, 07:03 PM

I don't think anyone realizes how much of an upgrade getting Hartwig at center. A lot of the sacks came right up the middle as Mahan got swatted like a fly.
i hope you are right and that hartwig is what we were missing on the OLine. i never liked mahan at center anyway.. (i am taking the over :wink02:lol)

Hypocycloid
04-26-2008, 07:05 PM
For those that aren't happy that we didn't reach for an OT, correct me if I am wrong but wasn't Faneca a 3rd round selection?

We as fans don't know either how much stock they have in some of their developmental players like Capizzi, Stapleton, etc. I would like to get on OLineman in the first three rounds though.

I also agree that the lot of sack came from Mahan and players trying to compensate for Mahan.

ajs8207
04-26-2008, 07:06 PM
Faneca was a first rounder actually...even though I am very happy we didn't reach for an OT

OneForTheToe
04-26-2008, 07:06 PM

I will agree with you here. I would have been happy if one ot the top OT's would have fallen to us. However,IMO, the play of our OT last year was in part just poor play on the OTs parts, but also in part a result of poor play on the interior. i'm no expert, but I saw Faneca helping out Mahan more than sliding out to help out tackles. As I said earlier, i just hope Hartwig is an improvement.

tony hipchest
04-26-2008, 07:07 PM
guys, not all quality linemen are drafted solely in the 1st round.

plenty of teams draft plenty of linemen who come in to be starters in latter rounds. weve had 1 pick. why panic that it wasnt a lineman?

ajs8207
04-26-2008, 07:08 PM

plenty of teams draft plenty of linemen who come in to be starters in latter rounds. weve had 1 pick. why panic that it wasnt a lineman?

Amen

xXTheSteelKingsXx
04-26-2008, 07:10 PM
I don't see us going o-line this round with Rachal going to the 9ers.

Hypocycloid
2nd rounders that the Steelers like that they brought in that are left on the board

Joe Bryant Dre Moore, SHawn Crable Tracey Porter Charles Godfrey, James Hardy, Malcome Kelly among the previous OL mentioned including Anthonly Collins. Deshawn Jackson as well

The Duke
here's our guy....

http://io2.steelers.com/MediaContent/2008/04/26/15/Mendenhall_88599.jpg

http://news.steelers.com/article/88600/

Hypocycloid
04-26-2008, 07:13 PM
Faneca was a first rounder actually...even though I am very happy we didn't reach for an OT

Thanks for the correction. I thought I just heard that on one of the three or four broadcasts that I am simultaneously listening to.

Preacher
04-26-2008, 07:14 PM
Wow..

I wonder if Shockey is ticked that he was about to be traded.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
04-26-2008, 07:15 PM
no reason to take OL in second round.......best ones are off the board and there are more quality picks to choose from........Pick up a lineman in the third or 4th round.....

fansince'76
04-26-2008, 07:16 PM

OK, if the poor OL play last season was all on Mahan, then why did the OL allow even more sacks (49 vs. 47) in '06, when Mahan was still in TB?

Petesburgh66
04-26-2008, 07:17 PM
Taking a RB as the first pick surprised me. Having said that, their was no OL or DL at the 23 spot worth reaching for. Your damed if you do and your damed if you don't.

Preacher
04-26-2008, 07:17 PM
Hmm..

Who is Buffalo taking?

They NEED a QB.

Steelman16
04-26-2008, 07:19 PM
here's our guy....

http://io2.steelers.com/MediaContent/2008/04/26/15/Mendenhall_88599.jpg

http://news.steelers.com/article/88600/

Lookin' purty dapper there. :wink02:

:tt02:

Preacher
OK, if the poor OL play last season was all on Mahan, then why did the OL allow even more sacks (49 vs. 47) in '06, when Mahan was still in TB?

Um...

Faneca?

Sorry. Just not impressed the last couple years with him.

Though to be fair, it was the right side that kept getting blown up.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
Man. There goes Hardy.

Preacher
04-26-2008, 07:20 PM
Hardy is gone!

Wow.

Ben is mad! LOLOL

Hypocycloid
I just heard on Fox970 that the Steelers had their pick in with seven and a half minutes left on their clock and ESPN just drug it out! Tomlin said they weren't about to answer any phone calls when Mendelhall dropped to them.

tony hipchest
here go all the receivers (james hardy to buffalo). about 5 teams before us were speculated to take 1 in the 1st.

The Duke
04-26-2008, 07:21 PM
Hmm..

Who is Buffalo taking?

They NEED a QB.

I think edwards is their future

or at least they should give him more time to develop

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
04-26-2008, 07:22 PM
we need a potential starter/ someone who will spit time in a game.........at round 2

Steelman16
04-26-2008, 07:22 PM
There goes Hardy, but that still leaves Sweed, Jackson and Manningham.

jjpro11
04-26-2008, 07:23 PM
There goes Hardy, but that still leaves Sweed, Jackson and Manningham.

i dont want manningham.. he has become the biggest joke of the draft.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
04-26-2008, 07:23 PM
Groves is still hanging around.

tony hipchest
04-26-2008, 07:24 PM
I just heard on Fox970 that the Steelers had their pick in with seven and a half minutes left on their clock and ESPN just drug it out! Tomlin said they weren't about to answer any phone calls when Mendelhall dropped to them. i wasnt watching the clock (and was watching the nfl network) but it seemed like the steelers got their pick in fairly quick.

i guess thats the difference between espn and nfl.

ajs8207
04-26-2008, 07:25 PM
Manningham has character issues. I don't expect this team to touch anyone with character issues because of what has happened this offseason so far.

jjpro11
lets go! i want to see a quarterback run here.

Hypocycloid
Groves is still hanging around.

Maybe the teams are really leary of his heart problems. He would make a nice addition in Rd 2

OneForTheToe
does minnisota take Brohm here?

A Saftey????? Yikes on the vikes.

Hypocycloid
04-26-2008, 07:28 PM
does minnisota take Brohm here?

Why, Isn't Jackson bound for the Hall of Fame.

Henne or Brohm which is better? I think I would go with Brohm.

Both those guys are probably hatin' Flacco right now.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
04-26-2008, 07:29 PM
Maybe the teams are really leary of his heart problems. He would make a nice addition in Rd 2

That would be my guess. His and Sweed's injuries have really hurt their draft stock.

OneForTheToe
04-26-2008, 07:31 PM
Hey Dan connor is still on the board.:wink02:

jjpro11
running back.. good for us. hopefully henne and brohm go before we pick.

Hypocycloid
I am not too upset about not getting Matt Forte now.

jjpro11
04-26-2008, 07:32 PM
Hey Dan connor is still on the board.:wink02:

as is justin king

The Duke
keep falling sweed!

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
i would want Seed out of the three of them

SteelerFanInATL

I agree. The Steelers have never been big on taking OL in the early rounds. Will be interesting too see who we take next.

Preacher
04-26-2008, 07:33 PM
How much longer till we pick again?

DANGIT

Who cares about these other teams...

tony hipchest
04-26-2008, 07:34 PM
Hey Dan connor is still on the board.:wink02:amazing huh? he's taking the paul poz plunge. somebody will get a good player. i think the run on wr's are good for that team who lands him and groves.

as for manningham, just look at the wr on the board with the biggest character problems and you will see the bungles next pick :thumbsup: :tt03: :popcorn:

Hypocycloid
04-26-2008, 07:34 PM
That would be my guess. His and Sweed's injuries have really hurt their draft stock.

I wouldn't mind Sweed in Black and Gold in round 2 either if there is no other great Value for DL or OL.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
04-26-2008, 07:37 PM
What if Dan Connor falls to us. MLB PSU???

OneForTheToe
04-26-2008, 07:38 PM
The bungles must be spending this time negotiating with their next selections probation officer to allow him to come to camp

tony hipchest
04-26-2008, 07:40 PM
refresh my memory. besides c. humes, who was the last rb we drafted?

was it verron haynes? with zeroue and fuamatuma'afalla before him?

:hunch: (i think so)

43Hitman
04-26-2008, 07:41 PM
refresh my memory. besides c. humes, who was the last rb we drafted?

was it verron haynes? with zeroue and fuamatuma'afalla before him?

:hunch: (i think so)
Gary Russell?

tony hipchest
What if Dan Connor falls to us. MLB PSU??? i think him or sweed would be a fine selection. (maybe even kelly even though his attitude sucks)

Crushzilla
Gary Russell?

UDFA

jjpro11
04-26-2008, 07:42 PM
who in the hell is the receiver the bengals took?

43Hitman
04-26-2008, 07:42 PM
UDFA

Ahh.. Thanks

Hypocycloid
04-26-2008, 07:43 PM
The bungles must be spending this time negotiating with their next selections probation officer to allow him to come to camp

Good thing they are so stupid. They will really suck again and there will be more tickets in Cinci for the Steelers 9th home game! Why they didn't make that trade with Washington astounds me. Getting rid of that cancer Johnson for lots of pics would have been a great move. They are so dumb. Not taking that trade was criminal in itself.

Cinci just picked Jerome Simpson WR Coastal Carolina...Dumb, Dumb, Dumb! I am so glad they are dumb.

tony hipchest
04-26-2008, 07:44 PM
after the running back pick in the 1st round, i hope brohm or henney arent the highest rated player on their board in the 2nd...

we do need a potential replacement for batch. :dang: j/k

Atlanta Dan
I just heard on Fox970 that the Steelers had their pick in with seven and a half minutes left on their clock and ESPN just drug it out! Tomlin said they weren't about to answer any phone calls when Mendelhall dropped to them.

Seems as if Tomlin has his list of picks in the first round and if it is there he takes it without considering options - sort of like going for 2 points regardless of whether it is from the 2 or the 12 - it is not as if Tomlinson fell to #23,

Timmons could have been around with a trade for a lower first round pick last year and who knows what might have been bought with the #23 pick today that would have bought a DL + another pick. Getting excited about a RB who played last year in the slowest big time conference in America (check out how OSU & Illinois fared against LSU & USC in the bowls) is like getting excited about a first round LB pick who had a big year at Florida State the year Wake Forest won the conference.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
just let sweed and connor keep falling

steel-EERS
04-26-2008, 07:45 PM
who in the hell is the receiver the bengals took? good question, I am glad they passed on Limas sweed, still a chance we reel em in

jjpro11
04-26-2008, 07:46 PM
wow.. i really thought philly would take sweed.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
04-26-2008, 07:47 PM
Timmons could have been around with a trade for a lower first round pick last year and who knows what might have been bought with the #23 pick today that would have bought a DL + another pick. Getting excited about a RB who played last year in the slowest big time conference in America (check out how OSU & Illinois fared against LSU & USC in the bowls) is like getting excited about a first round LB pick who had a big year at Florida State the year Wake Forest won the conference.

But Mendenhall played well against USC(17 carries, 155yards and 1 TD) even though the rest of his team didn't.

polamalu82
04-26-2008, 07:48 PM
wow.. i really thought philly would take sweed.

They still can. Wait one pick.

CantStop85
Good thing they are so stupid. They will really suck again and there will be more tickets in Cinci for the Steelers 9th home game! Why they didn't make that trade with Washington astounds me. Getting rid of that cancer Johnson for lots of pics would have been a great move. They are so dumb. Not taking that trade was criminal in itself.

Cinci just picked Jerome Simpson WR Coastal Carolina...Dumb, Dumb, Dumb! I am so glad they are dumb.

Shoo man, did you see that man jump?

jjpro11
They still can. Wait one pick.

yeah.. i just realized that a second ago.

tony hipchest
04-26-2008, 07:49 PM
who in the hell is the receiver the bengals took?

lol.

they are now discounting talent for character like they used to discount character for talent.

this "new" philosophy of theirs should propell them into suckdom for ATLEAST the next 5-7 years.

way to go bungles scouting department... err... i mean scouting guy :thumbsup:

steel-EERS
04-26-2008, 07:50 PM
where does adarus bowman go? always thought he is a nice Big reciever, would take Sweed first though

OneForTheToe
04-26-2008, 07:50 PM
List of kickers still available:

Brandon Coutu K GEORGIA
Arthur Carmody K LOUISVILLE
Alexis Serna K OREGON ST
Taylor Mehlhaff K WISCONSIN
Shane Longest K ST XAVIER
Jeremy Ito K RUTGERS
Jason Reda K ILLINOIS
Garrett Hartley K OKLAHOMA
Steven Hauschka K NC STATE
Robert Zarrilli K HOFSTRA

Hypocycloid
04-26-2008, 07:51 PM
after the running back pick in the 1st round, i hope brohm or henney arent the highest rated player on their board in the 2nd...

we do need a potential replacement for batch. :dang: j/k

Dixon in the Sixth could be a steal if he were there, but Batch isn't taking a pounding so he is healthier than his age.

tony hipchest
Shoo man, did you see that man jump?that just means he can hop the perimeter razor wire fencing around the prison yard.

hes got all the skillz to be a bengal! :laughing:

jjpro11
phillys takin jackson. good.

The Duke
04-26-2008, 07:55 PM
sweed may actually fall to us!! stay away from him bucs

or even dre moore to help both the D and offense on the first day

Atlanta Dan
But Mendenhall played well against USC(17 carries, 155yards and 1 TD) even though the rest of his team didn't.

He had 27 yards in the first half when it was still a game

Hypocycloid
Sweed is still dropping.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
do you see anyone taking sweed?

steel-EERS
Malcom Kelly, and Limas Sweed still sitting there just begging to be steelers, wander if Ben is getting excited?

Hypocycloid
04-26-2008, 07:56 PM
So is Calais Campbell

polamalu82
04-26-2008, 07:57 PM
I can see Tampa taking Kelly or Sweed.

Edman
Cards get Campbell.

ajs8207
The redskins won't they already took Thomas

Hypocycloid
04-26-2008, 07:58 PM
So is Calais Campbell

Nevermind!

Atlanta Dan
Malcom Kelly, and Limas Sweed still sitting there just begging to be steelers, wander if Ben is getting excited?

Can either of them be converted to a lineman?

jjpro11
groves is still available too.

steel-EERS
I can see Tampa taking Kelly or Sweed.

what if both are there, who do you take?

Aussie_steeler
04-26-2008, 07:59 PM
My internet crashed at pick #20 and I have just got back on. Fortunately I have been watching on ESPN.

What a wild draft. Some crazy picks.

I dont know whats worse, the internet crashing or mum telling me the dog crapped itself and she had to clean it.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
04-26-2008, 07:59 PM
im surprissed that Calais fell this far

xXTheSteelKingsXx
04-26-2008, 08:00 PM
Well as far as these recievers are falling, we may be able to get Kelly in the third and go o-line or d-line with our 2nd.

fansince'76
I dont know whats worse, the internet crashing or mum telling me the dog crapped itself and she had to clean it.

What is it with all these dogs crapping themselves? :chuckle:

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
im guessing its because he is too light at 6'8 275

steel-EERS
groves is still available too.
yep, almost forgot him, we are going to get a PLAYER no doubt, very exciting. Groves would be great as well

jjpro11
04-26-2008, 08:01 PM
the draft will get better ratings than the nba playoffs.

polamalu82
04-26-2008, 08:02 PM
There goes kelly.

jjpro11
surprise by the skins

xXTheSteelKingsXx
Well there goes Kelly.

Edman
Redskins get Malcom Kelly.

But...they just drafted a WR!

All that leaves is Groves and Sweed.

Aussie_steeler
Groves, Sweed, Moore, Avril or even Dan Connor???

polamalu82
Tampa's prob gonna take Sweed.

jjpro11
04-26-2008, 08:03 PM
kelly is going to be another mike williams.

Preacher
BAP is supposedly Sweed now,

ajs8207
Wow Sweed is probably going to be taken here...unless Tampa trades this pick to Miami as rumored.

Steel_Bus_24
Geesh Wrs out the pooper for Wash

Hypocycloid
Groves, Sweed both first round grades. Anthonly Collins still left

Atlanta Dan
the draft will get better ratings than the nba playoffs.

ABC did not even carry a game today = part of that is not competing with ESPN draft coverage, but ABC also knows it would get hammered competing against the first round on Saturday afternoon.

Atlanta Dan
04-26-2008, 08:04 PM
BAP is supposedly Sweed now,

No matter how good you are, it is hard to catch passes if your QB is running for his life or on his back

Preacher
04-26-2008, 08:05 PM
Hey...

WE ARE UP NEXT? Right?

jjpro11
No matter how good you are, it is hard to catch passes if your QB is running for his life or on his back

who are the best linemen available?

43Hitman
We should address one of our direct needs now.. OL !!

polamalu82
yes

steel-EERS
04-26-2008, 08:06 PM
if they take Groves he has the talent to be an all pro, gotta like that

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
i see us taking Quentin Groves DE auburn

Edman
Bucs trade their pick to the Jaguars!

jjpro11
jacksonville? they are trying to screw us over somehow

Preacher

Yeah...

but what should have we done in the first?

reach down?

Trade down. . . when someone like Mendenhall was available?

Who knows.

I don't like how it is playing out. However, I think I understand.

Hypocycloid
04-26-2008, 08:07 PM
Why is it the only war room that they keep switching a camera into is Dallas?

devo_17
Groves would be nice. I think he is a little to small to play DE in a 3-4. Dan Connor would be a solid pick. Sweed would give Ben a big target to throw to.

Steel_Bus_24
Jax you scumbags!!!!

steel-EERS
were up

jjpro11
there goes groves. damn

Hypocycloid
Bye Bye Groves

OneForTheToe
Groves to the Jags

Preacher
04-26-2008, 08:08 PM
OK.

Groves is gone..

STEELERS...........HERE WE GO.

Edman
F you Jacksonville. You teal wearing piles of crap.

ajs8207
Sweed?

fansince'76
Why is it the only war room that they keep switching a camera into is Dallas?

The new old "America's Team" since the Cheatriots' fall from grace. :yawn:

steel-EERS
they knew we would take groves, jags

Hypocycloid
04-26-2008, 08:09 PM
Anthony Collins may be the best OL available

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
Damn i just said that the steelers were going to pick him....
Im guessing sweed, connors, or a cornerback...
Maybe Duane Brown...OL

Preacher
Wow.

It is taking a little while.

It is like Christmas morning.

JUST GIVE ME THE PRESENT

steel-EERS
I say sweed or a DL

jjpro11
heres a chance to please the 100 million dollar man

Atlanta Dan
Yeah...

but what should have we done in the first?

reach down?

Trade down. . . when someone like Mendenhall was available?

Who knows.

I don't like how it is playing out. However, I think I understand.

Not saying you reach for a OL in the first round, but drafting only offensive players that touch the ball at the top of the draft is not what I think this team needs

jjpro11
04-26-2008, 08:10 PM
they picked someone pretty quickly.. lets see who

Preacher
WHy do they always go to Commerical when it is the Steelers draft choice?

ARGHHHHHHHHHHhhhh

BettisFan
steelers are on the clock

SteelerFanInATL
Pick is in and we are at a comerical??????????????

ajs8207
Sweed, Collins, Connors, King?

xXTheSteelKingsXx
04-26-2008, 08:11 PM
Limas Sweed.

jjpro11
HOW SWEEEEEEEED IT IS!!!

OneForTheToe
I hope there is someone from the Steelers’ organization right now whispering sweet nothings in Hines’ ear. “It’s not because of you Hines. You are good enough, smart enough and gosh damit, people like you. ...”

Edman
THERE'S YOUR TALL WIDE RECIEVER, BEN!

fansince'76
Pick is in and we are at a comerical??????????????

More media disrespect! :chuckle:

Steel_Bus_24
Ben got his wish!!

steel-EERS
yatzee

43Hitman
And with the 53rd pick in the 2008 draft is...drum roll please...

BettisFan
yes!! we got Sweed!!!!

Preacher
Not saying you reach for a OL in the first round, but drafting only offensive players that touch the ball at the top of the draft is not what I think this team needs

I can agree with that to a degree.

Though I can understand RB to a degree.

I just wonder who we are getting now.

Hypocycloid
The new old "America's Team" since the Cheatriots' fall from grace. :yawn:

NO SH#%

I hate those guys and I am really starting to not like Jacksonville. Maybe they can get Groves to help them sew up some more tarps to cover their seats so they can have a sellout and televise their home games.

ajs8207
I like the pick. Another great value. However, this pick means we have to have a HUGE second day, stockpiling depth on both lines, at LB, and in the secondary if possible.

The Duke
04-26-2008, 08:12 PM
there's the guy!

Steel_Bus_24
We best be puttin up some numbers next year!!! with all this firepower

VTsteel
Where are my big uglies????

Preacher
WE GOT SWEED

BettisFan
wow what a great draft!

Atlanta Dan
04-26-2008, 08:13 PM
I can agree with that to a degree.

Though I can understand RB to a degree.

I just wonder who we are getting now.

Another offensive player who touches the ball:banging:

43Hitman
limas sweed..hmmm would've liked some sort of lineman here..hopefully this will be a great pick.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
OKAY!!! We did not get an OL yet.........But there were none on the board worth the pick that we had.

With that said. I am very HAPPY with or draft so far.

polamalu82
04-26-2008, 08:14 PM
My friend's a Titan fan. He says we screwed them. lol

Rhee Rhee
04-26-2008, 08:15 PM
all i can say is profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfilter the jags...

BettisFan
are offense will be in the leaders next year!

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
I hope there is someone from the Steelers’ organization right now whispering sweet nothings in Hines’ ear. “It’s not because of you Hines. You are good enough, smart enough and gosh damit, people like you. ...”

Ya, I hope Hines doesnt bitch about this pick. We need a third WR and I dont think Washington is our long term answer.
I think Sweed is a steal at this point

verks36
OKAY!!! We did not get an OL yet.........But there were none on the board worth the pick that we had.

With that said. I am very HAPPY with or draft so far.

ya it seems we are going with the best possible player rather than our needs our line.

HE should be sick. If we had a line our offense would be unstoppable

Preacher
Tomlin is going to be on ESPN2

Gotta hear this

Hypocycloid

Very Funny!

I bet Big Ben just Sh$% himself. Hey where is that asshole cleaning guy? There is a lot of shitting going on.

Petesburgh66
If the OL wasn't neglected the past two seasons, I would really love the 2 Steeler picks so far. Ben needs to have protection and the current crap isn't going to cut it.

fansince'76
04-26-2008, 08:16 PM
Ya, I hope Hines doesnt bitch about this pick. We need a third WR and I dont think Washington is our long term answer.

I just hope Ben can stay upright long enough to get him the ball. Have my doubts.

WizDom-N.KnowLedge
Sweed and Mendenhall...what a great start. Hopefully this trend continues on the second day

jjpro11
seriously.. someone answer already.. what linemen are even available anymore?

Steel_Bus_24
Yeah I want hear what coach T has to say.....I really hate Jax now though, even though Sweed has the potential

steel-EERS
04-26-2008, 08:17 PM
pretty much have to go OL in the 3rd, there should be good value there, hopefully greco,rinehart, murphy or the like will fall to our spot, just need one.....can the good luck continue?

Preacher
04-26-2008, 08:18 PM

I am actually more happy with this pick than I am with the first.

I STILL wish we would have spent a first and a third and moved up to get a OT.

however, the coaches may know something we don't.

Key #1: Don't wear out the Oline is training camp and practice the first half of the season.

verks36
are offense will be in the leaders next year!

if we have a line you can have all the weapons you want but without a line you can only do so much

Hypocycloid
My friend's a Titan fan. He says we screwed them. lol

Tell him to thank Jacksonville's.

jjpro11
tomlin getting interviewed.

devo_17
04-26-2008, 08:19 PM
Im happy with the draft so far. How many times can you say that one of the better RB and WR in the draft fell right into your lap. We need to find ourselves a backup ILB and OL/DL help. Maybe late a Mendenhall teammate Jason Reda. He's kicked in the Big 10 so weather will not be a factor for him. Just throwin it out there.

ShutDown24
YES! OMG I'm SO stoked for Limas Sweed and needless to say Mendenhall! I thought Rashard was the best back in the draft to be honest. He had no business falling down to 23. And Sweed? YES! A lot of you are probably mad that we haven't taken any big men yet but Mendenhall and Sweed and QUALITY picks at 23 and 53. I am VERY happy with this draft thus far.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
Tomlin is going to be on ESPN2

Gotta hear this

THANKS!!!!:tt02:

Hypocycloid
Very Funny!

I bet Big Ben just Sh$% himself. Hey where is that asshole cleaning guy? There is a lot of shitting going on.

Sorry forgot to filter myself.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
04-26-2008, 08:20 PM
pretty much have to go OL in the 3rd, there should be good value there, hopefully greco,rinehart, murphy or the like will fall to our spot, just need one.....can the good luck continue?

I don't know I think if there is a d-linemen worth grabing then continue the trend and take the better of the two.

fansince'76
Key #1: Don't wear out the Oline is training camp and practice the first half of the season.

Key #2: Settle on an OL EARLY in TC and don't play musical chairs with them.

Atlanta Dan
We need to strengthen ourselves in our lines, of course," coach Mike Tomlin said, listing a priority shortly after last season ended. "I talked about offensive and defensive lines ... you always need big strong men in the interior on the rise. We're older in those positions. We are. That will be our intentions, along with all areas, of course. But, in terms of having the personality that we want to have, there is no secret that we want to run the football and run it big time. We want to smash the run, so it starts inside and up front."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08111/874987-66.stm

Tough break on losing Groves but I see no effort to address what Tomlin says are clear needs

Hypocycloid
What did Tomlin say. I don't have ESPN2

SteelerFanInATL
04-26-2008, 08:21 PM
In the 40's??? Why not!!!!!!!!! I like it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
04-26-2008, 08:22 PM
I will tell you why pittsburgh will not score in the fortys

OFFENSIVE LINE>...

I love our draft so far and its too bad that we could not pick up a great offensive linemen.........But i hope the ones we have are up to the challenge

SteelDogFan
I agree with I cant believe these player are still available when we pick. awesome draft.

Atlanta Dan
What did Tomlin say. I don't have ESPN2
He said he is devastated the Steelers have not drafted a lineman in the first two rounds

Preacher
04-26-2008, 08:23 PM
We need to strengthen ourselves in our lines, of course," coach Mike Tomlin said, listing a priority shortly after last season ended. "I talked about offensive and defensive lines ... you always need big strong men in the interior on the rise. We're older in those positions. We are. That will be our intentions, along with all areas, of course. But, in terms of having the personality that we want to have, there is no secret that we want to run the football and run it big time. We want to smash the run, so it starts inside and up front."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08111/874987-66.stm

Tough break on losing Groves but I see no effort to address what Tomlin says are clear needs

of course. . . this IS only the second round. I am sure there are players in the other rounds as well.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
04-26-2008, 08:23 PM
He said he is devastated the Steelers have not drafted a lineman in the first two rounds

Not in so many words:coffee:

Preacher
04-26-2008, 08:24 PM

:chuckle:

LOL. Actually, he didn't say anything. It was quite amusing.

OneForTheToe
04-26-2008, 08:24 PM
Key #2: Settle on an OL EARLY in TC and don't play musical chairs with them.

Absolutely agree.