PDA

View Full Version : Official Steelers 2008 NFL Draft Day Talk Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
04-26-2008, 07:25 PM
i say that our next three picks will be OL and DL..
The first two picks were simply the best players on the board

xXTheSteelKingsXx
04-26-2008, 07:26 PM
Way to show some confidence in Rodgers, Green Bay.:sofunny:

Atlanta Dan
Not in so many words:coffee:

No kidding

Does anyone expect Colbert & Tomlin to say anything other than that they are thrilled

It's like listening to politicians spin the results after the returns are in

WizDom-N.KnowLedge
there is still value to be had in the third in terms of oline and dline still availible

VTsteel
What did Tomlin say. I don't have ESPN2

Well, in his usual calm, cool and collected way he said Mendenhall was one of the handful of players that - if available- they would take and NOT trade down. That at least explains why we didn't trade out of our spot.

Man, Tomlin looked very comfortable in that interview.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
04-26-2008, 07:27 PM
Do you think that Aaron Rodgers is PISSED OFF...
cause he just got pissed on

BettisFan
dont worry guys i think our line can step it up and there are still 5 rounds left! :)

The Duke
wtf packers?

jjpro11
i cant help but wonder who was rated higher on our board.. sweed or groves.

Steel_Bus_24
04-26-2008, 07:28 PM
Man what a slap in the face to Rodgers....

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
04-26-2008, 07:28 PM
dont worry guys i think our line can step it up and there are still 5 rounds left! :)

4 rounds for us

steel-EERS
04-26-2008, 07:29 PM
there is still value to be had in the third in terms of oline and dline still availible
couldn't agree more, we can find a future starter at guard in that round, not sure if the Arkansas DT will be there but he would be a good pick(name escapes me)

tony hipchest
My internet crashed at pick #20 and I have just got back on. Fortunately I have been watching on ESPN.

What a wild draft. Some crazy picks.

I dont know whats worse, the internet crashing or mum telling me the dog crapped itself and she had to clean it.lmao. you too? my laptop shit itself for the past 45 min and im just now catching up w/ the thread. :sofunny:

devo_17
In two years Henne will be the starting QB in Miami. Its obvious that Parcells doesnt really trust Beck.

Hypocycloid
04-26-2008, 07:30 PM
seriously.. someone answer already.. what linemen are even available anymore?

Mike McGlynn, Keilen Dykes, Joe Bryant, Carleton Powell, Jeremy Zuttah, John Greco, Doug Legursky, James Blair, King Dunlap, Mike Pollock, Carl Nicks, Barry Richardson, Brandon Keith, Bobby Byrd, Tony Hills, Oneil Cousins to name a few.

WizDom-N.KnowLedge
I look for them to perhaps select a OG and a DE in rounds three and four. I say guard over OT for the mere fact of depth. With Starks, Smith and Essex and Colon at the tackles we need more depth along the interior than we do OT.

verks36

still five rounds left is true
But how many linemen able to make an impact next year?..... not many

austinfrench76
So far our draft has come to us as opposed to the Steelers reaching. I want big men as much as the next guy but, these are GREAT value picks! We will load up rpunds 3-6 and make this a tremendous draft but, I would rather see the Steelers take value picks than reach on a lineman. Sorry, it's just makes sense.

43Hitman
04-26-2008, 07:31 PM
I can understand why the Packers took him. I mean Rodgers does get hurt alot and who is the back-up to him? So they have to get some one in case Rodgers goes down for any amount of time.

Steel_Bus_24
04-26-2008, 07:31 PM
Im not too upset about going skill....because we'd be reaching for guys IMO

with that said, Yeah our line needs to grow a pair and move some people...

Preacher
04-26-2008, 07:32 PM
Key #2: Settle on an OL EARLY in TC and don't play musical chairs with them.

I say make the decision coming out of the first preseason game.

That way, they get three full games together, AND what, two TC weeks together.

jjpro11
04-26-2008, 07:33 PM
Mike McGlynn, Keilen Dykes, Joe Bryant, Carleton Powell, Jeremy Zuttah, John Greco, Doug Legursky, James Blair, King Dunlap, Mike Pollock, Carl Nicks, Barry Richardson, Brandon Keith, Bobby Byrd, Tony Hills, Oneil Cousins to name a few.

thank you.. i admit that i havent really followed the draft as much as prior years.

WizDom-N.KnowLedge
Sweed IMO will turn out to be a steal in the 2nd.

Aussie_steeler
lmao. you too? my laptop shit itself for the past 45 min and im just now catching up w/ the thread. :sofunny:

To make matters worse I am on a dial up connection so I am about 5 minutes behind everybody else.

If I lived in the USA what state would that make me from Tony???

Still loving the 2 picks we made. They were awesome BPA picks.

43Hitman
I say make the decision coming out of the first preseason game.

That way, they get three full games together, AND what, two TC weeks together.

I thought we had 5 pre-season games again this year.

ajs8207
Would any of the lineman picked at our 1st round or 2nd round spot have played this year barring injury? So why complain about no lineman when they would have had no impact this year? Colbert was on the radio saying offensive line takes adjusting and that most don't start or play much their first year. If this is their philosophy, and the OT at 23 was going to sit next year, I'd rather have Mendenhall and Sweed.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
04-26-2008, 07:34 PM
steelers should trade up into the second round.......give up a 4th round this year and a 4th, 7th next year...
and pick DAN CONNOR....
That would be 3 potential starters

and then pick up a guard in the third round

Preacher
04-26-2008, 07:34 PM

Yeah...

but the next question. . .

How many lineman who can push for a starting position are still on the board?

bradness113
04-26-2008, 07:35 PM
im stoked on SWEED. im so excited that heinz field can go "SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED" wen he makes a huge play lmao!!!

haha

steel-EERS
there is much value at OG left, guys that could be starting in year two and giving depth immediately, not as thrilled with the remaining OT's, but certainly Collins from kansas, Dunlap from Auburn, or Rinehart from the small scool would seem to be decent. have already mentioned the OG's earlier

Hannity_on_Holmes
Once again, no one could have predicted the draft picks the steelers have made this year.

I think our defensive and offensive fronts will be ok this coming season. Willie needs some help and he is gettin it. I think the management is concerned about how screwed the team was when they didnt have parker.

Cedric wilson and nate washington were busts so sweed was a good pick.
and plus, hines is getting old, so blitzburgh is gonna have to start developing a dependable reciever core for the coming generation. Hopefully Holmes will stay in the Pitt and will dominate with sweed.

good picks so far.

Preacher
04-26-2008, 07:36 PM
I thought we had 5 pre-season games again this year.

Really? That would be great.

Then we make the decsion after the second game. Still gives them 3 games to play together.

LVSteelersfan
04-26-2008, 07:37 PM
Man what a slap in the face to Rodgers....

Rodgers was never going to be good enough to replace Favre. He has been around so long he is getting OLD. I suspect he will be like DA in Cleveland and just be the placeholder for the younger QB down the road.

Preacher
04-26-2008, 07:38 PM
Once again, no one could have predicted the draft picks the steelers have made this year.

I think our defensive and offensive fronts will be ok this coming season. Willie needs some help and he is gettin it. I think the management is concerned about how screwed the team was when they didnt have parker.

Cedric wilson and nate washington were busts so sweed was a good pick.
and plus, hines is getting old, so blitzburgh is gonna have to start developing a dependable reciever core for the coming generation. Hopefully Holmes will stay in the Pitt and will dominate with sweed.

good picks so far.

Funny. I like the second pick. the first one is what I wanted in a OL. Even to trade a third and something else to move up. But hey, to see what Dallas had to give up in order to move up, I am somewhat glad we didn't move up.

BettisFan
04-26-2008, 07:38 PM
I cant even explain how amazing our offense is going to be! Great running backs and now Ben has a tall great wide reciever!!

Atlanta Dan
04-26-2008, 07:39 PM
Would any of the lineman picked at our 1st round or 2nd round spot have played this year barring injury? So why complain about no lineman when they would have had no impact this year? Colbert was on the radio saying offensive line takes adjusting and that most don't start or play much their first year. If this is their philosophy, and the OT at 23 was going to sit next year, I'd rather have Mendenhall and Sweed.

If this team was at the end of its SB window and needed to win now with a potential impact player to add to the mix on offense I might agree. But IMO 2008 is a reloading year for reasons that the team is shedding aging players & the schedule is murderous; if the lines are not addressed now then who will play as both Smiths (OL and DL) & Casey move on in then next several years?

Top picks presumably are better than lower round picks; just putting a body in there is what helped sink the OL last season.

The Duke
04-26-2008, 07:40 PM
Cedric wilson and nate washington were busts so .

how is nate( an undrafted free agent) a bust?

he's good for # 3 after hines retires

43Hitman
04-26-2008, 07:40 PM
Really? That would be great.

Then we make the decsion after the second game. Still gives them 3 games to play together.

Ahh man I was wrong..we only have 4 I shoulda checked before I posted. :banging:

Preacher
04-26-2008, 07:41 PM
I cant even explain how amazing our offense is going to be! Great running backs and now Ben has a tall great wide reciever!!

I hope he is tall enough that Ben can see him while laying on the ground.

WizDom-N.KnowLedge
04-26-2008, 07:41 PM
So, who are some of the best remaining players for day 2?

As of right now Fred Davis may slip to the 3rd
OT Tony Hills
OT King Dunlap
OG John Greco
OG Shawn Murphy
OG Mike McGlynn
LB Xavier Adibi
LB Dan Connor
DT Pat Sims
DT Red Bryant
DT Frank Okam
DE/LB Cliff Avril
DEChris Ellis

Preacher
04-26-2008, 07:42 PM
Ahh man I was wrong..we only have 4 I shoulda checked before I posted. :banging:

Oh well!!

ajs8207
If this team was at the end of its SB window and needed to win now with a potential impact player to add to the mix on offense I might agree. But IMO 2008 is a reloading year for reasons that the team is shedding aging players & the schedule is murderous; if the lines are not addressed now then who will play as both Smiths (OL and DL) & Casey move on in then next several years?

Top picks presumably are better than lower round picks; just putting a body in there is what helped sink the OL last season.

That could also go the other way. Wide receivers take a couple years to develop fully. Offensive linemen do not. I think these two picks are good for next year as well as the future.

Hypocycloid
thank you.. i admit that i havent really followed the draft as much as prior years.

No Problem,

Walter Football has a pretty good site with great rankings. You can cross reference them with the NFL's draft tracker.

I think the Steelers can draft an OT and move him to guard or center (or a guard and move to center). Usually the best athletes in college play the tackle position. I believe Dawson and Hartings were not Centers when drafted.

I like Zuttah, Greco, McGlynn, Cousins, Nicks on OLine, Joe Bryant, Dre Moore, and Kendal Langford whom I think I forgot in my response.

OneForTheToe
In two years Henne will be the starting QB in Miami. Its obvious that Parcells doesnt really trust Beck.

Wow, Miami really lucked uot, IMO. They got a decent QB inn the second round.

fansince'76
04-26-2008, 07:43 PM
I hope he is tall enough that Ben can see him while laying on the ground.

Or he can get wide open in 3/10 of a second, which is all the time Ben usually gets to throw.

Edman
04-26-2008, 07:44 PM
Over/Under for number of Sacks the Steelers O-Line gives up this year.

I say 50.

fansince'76
04-26-2008, 07:45 PM

I say 50.

Under, only because of Ben's mobility. If we still had Maddox? 75+

Atlanta Dan
04-26-2008, 07:45 PM
Or he can get wide open in 3/10 of a second, which is all the time Ben usually gets to throw.

I am talked out on my dissatisfaction with ignoring the problems on the line - thanks to Preach and you for carrying the torch:thumbsup:

Atlanta Dan
04-26-2008, 07:47 PM
Under, only because of Ben's mobility. If we still had Maddox? 75+

Unless Ben turns into what happened to Archie Manning after getting smacked around behind a bad OL in New Orleans in the early 70s.

Preacher
04-26-2008, 07:47 PM

LOL...

In all honesty... If I remember right, our Oline was fine until half the season was over. Then both the O and D wore out.

We may not be that bad off. With a stronger center. Smith healthy, Maybe Starks has his head on straight now... Who knows.

bradness113
04-26-2008, 07:48 PM
hartwig will start

hes been doin great in workouts...big guy very athletic..
our oline will be fine

jjpro11
04-26-2008, 07:48 PM
they should have kept the 3rd round on day 1.

Preacher
04-26-2008, 07:49 PM

I absolutely agree

Hypocycloid
04-26-2008, 07:51 PM

I agree. But it will make everyone tune in tomorrow for ratings. Like how ESPN is dragging out the picks and lengthening the draft?

I am sure the teams aren't happy about the 3rd on the second day. Must make for a long night tonight and tomorrow with the URFA signing race.

43Hitman
04-26-2008, 07:52 PM

I wish there was another round today too. But on the flip side it really gives the coaching staff some time to re-group and plan a strategy with alot of quality guys still on the board. A good nights rest could be really beneficial.

OneForTheToe
04-26-2008, 07:52 PM

I say 50.

I'll say 42. I think our line will be a bit better even with the subtraction of Faneca. And of course, we still have draft picks yet to come. I just hope that Marvel Smith is healthy again. His health is more important for the this season than any draft pick. If Smith plays up to his old self and Hatwig improves over Mahan, then the line should be better.

Atlanta Dan
04-26-2008, 07:53 PM
I absolutely agree

I think they moved it back to 3 pm EDT to help West coast TV ratings - at that point by 8 at night EDT it is time to go home

Imagine when the draft used to be 12 (and before that 17) rounds

Hypocycloid
04-26-2008, 07:55 PM
Dan O'Connor still available?

Mel Kiper Jr is a real schmuck!

Hypocycloid
04-26-2008, 07:58 PM
A Bit Of A Surprise
8:20 PM ET NFL.com - Pat Kirwan

Turns out Felix Jones was a bit surprised to be picked by the Cowboys at No. 22. Jones is a great complement to Marion Barber because he's a faster breakaway-type of player, while Barber is more of a power back. He will, of course, have to live up to being a Razorback, like his employer Jerry Jones.

"I'm still shocked with what's going on and I'm just so happy to be a Cowboy," said Jones.
Linehan on Long
8:10 PM ET NFL.com - Frank Tadych

Rams head coach Scott Linehan had some interesting things to say about Chris Long, the team's pick at No. 2 overall. The Rams had Jake Long at the top of their draft board, with Chris Long, Vernon Gholston and Glenn Dorsey clumped together behind him. Linehan said the team initially had a difficult time deciding between the players, but over time it became more apparent Chris Long was their guy, and the organization loves his charachter. Linehan said Long will start at right defensive end.

"He just fits us," Linehan said. "You are going to get a chance to meet this guy. ... You are just going to find out all the things we're telling you about him. It's just going to be a great fit for us and great for the city. I can't wait for this next season. I am a little geeked up right now but what is going to be really fun for me and for you all is to get a chance meet this individual."
Tomlin High On Mendenhall
7:30 PM ET NFL.com - Frank Tadych

Taking a look back at the first round, there's a consensus here that the Steelers got great value in taking RB Rashard Mendenhall at No. 24. It's one of those picks that seems to make sense all the way around. Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin says the club was pleased he fell to them.

"Coming into the day we weren't confident any of the guys we wanted would be on the board, but we are very pleased one of those guys, Rashard Mendenhall fell to us," said Tomlin. "We had this young man very high on our board and we're happy we got him. There was an eruption in the room when we saw the Cowboys took Felix Jones and we knew we would get our man. It's awesome that he has low mileage and he's shown the ability to be a workhorse and catch the ball out of the backfield."

OneForTheToe
04-26-2008, 08:00 PM
I wish we would have been able to sign Booger. That way we could have concentrated on o'line. Now we have to seriously think about DE as well.

43Hitman
04-26-2008, 08:02 PM
I wish we would have been able to sign Booger. That way we could have consentrated on o'line. Now we have to seriously think about DE as well.

We still could. My hope is that he is doing everything he can to pass our physical.

Preacher
04-26-2008, 08:03 PM
Wow.

Brian BIllick said good things about our draft!

tony hipchest
04-26-2008, 08:04 PM
brian billick just singled out the steelers as the team that had an impressive 1st day of the draft.

pretty cool to see the old adversary give some respect.

ajs8207
04-26-2008, 08:05 PM
Wow.

What did he say?

The Duke
We still could. My hope is that he is doing everything he can to pass our physical.

if the steelers don't get a DE or DT in the 3rd or 4th I expect booger to be in black and gold. I think the team said something about aquiring him later, maybe it was to see what they get in the draft, and if they don't find what they want they have booger on speed dial

fansince'76
Wow.

We're screwed. :chuckle:

Preacher
04-26-2008, 08:06 PM
brian billick just singled out the steelers as the team that had an impressive 1st day of the draft.

You know.

If we just had one more FA lineman come in, I would have been excited about this draft.

I guess, as long we pick a couple lineman next, It will still be good.

Preacher
04-26-2008, 08:08 PM
We're screwed. :chuckle:

:sofunny:

Steel_Bus_24
04-26-2008, 08:09 PM
Our hands were pretty much tied and I thought we got great value for what was given to us

43Hitman
04-26-2008, 08:09 PM
if the steelers don't get a DE or DT in the 3rd or 4th I expect booger to be in black and gold. I think the team said something about aquiring him later, maybe it was to see what they get in the draft, and if they don't find what they want they have booger on speed dial

Makes sense to me. Heck, even if we get a guy in the 3rd or 4th he still could be picked up for additional depth.

Aussie_steeler
04-26-2008, 08:11 PM
There are some good lineman left (Collins, Cousins, Greco, McGlynn...) but the question will be is D line or O line or OLB the priority for round 3. Depends entirely on what scaps are left over after the first 20 odd vultures pick up tomorrow.

There could be some serious wheeling and dealing for trades going on tonight.

Looks like it will be another early morning before heading off to work.

WizDom-N.KnowLedge
04-26-2008, 08:11 PM
You know.

If we just had one more FA lineman come in, I would have been excited about this draft.

I guess, as long we pick a couple lineman next, It will still be good.

I don't see how this draft could not be classified as good or even great ( on paper that is). Sure we did not address the OL or DL but to be able to get both Mendenhall and Sweed with our first two pix is outrageous.

Edman
04-26-2008, 08:12 PM
Tomorrow, the FO will go after the Lines...I hope.

OneForTheToe
04-26-2008, 08:14 PM

Great.... I was hoping the apocalypse would at least wait until Ben's contract ran out.:doh:

Preacher
04-26-2008, 08:15 PM
I don't see how this draft could not be classified as good or even great ( on paper that is). Sure we did not address the OL or DL but to be able to get both Mendenhall and Sweed with our first two pix is outrageous.

I understand what your saying.

But it is a lot like getting excited that we got a brand new SUV... when we have a two year old hummer sitting in the driveway.

and what we really need is a new furnace for the house.

It is great... amazed we can get it... but in the end, will it really help?

Da Steeler Soprano
04-26-2008, 08:16 PM
So far this is by far the best draft the Steelers had in recent years. Number 1 overall running back, and a top 3 WR in the second round. I cant wait to see Mendenshall run behind the improved line (Hartiwg replaing Mahan) that almost lef Parker to the rushing title. Now pick up Dre Moore in the 3rd round, then take your pick of whatever OL is left. Or just dont pick a OL at all, it is kind of funny reading everyone bitch and moan about not drafting a OL like its the end of the world.

WizDom-N.KnowLedge
04-26-2008, 08:16 PM
Smith when healthy is a viable LT and Starks when motivated is a road grading RT. Sure he lost his job to Colon last year, but I firmly believe that this has lit a fire under him. Simmons is okay at RG and Kemoeatu was admirable filling in for Faneca. Hartwig is a big upgrade at C and now Mahan could provide depth at both C/G. We still need depth and youth along the front but it is not as bad as some make it out to be.

The Duke
04-26-2008, 08:18 PM
Makes sense to me. Heck, even if we get a guy in the 3rd or 4th he still could be picked up for additional depth.

sure. honestly, they need more than just one player for D line depth

I loved the picks!

didn't like the mendelhall pick at first cause I wanted sweed there. and what happens? he falls to us in the 2nd. :tt:

verks36
04-26-2008, 08:18 PM
i would have liked to sure up the offense and defensive line but all in all it would say a good flashy draft class,

tony hipchest
04-26-2008, 08:20 PM
To make matters worse I am on a dial up connection so I am about 5 minutes behind everybody else.

If I lived in the USA what state would that make me from Tony???

Still loving the 2 picks we made. They were awesome BPA picks.relative to me? that would put you in patsland on the east coast!

lol

i see tremendous value and potential with our picks too. pluss theyre sexy pixks as opposed to the dull "beef up the middle" types.

not that that is a good (or better) thing....

but still, im pleased. im tired of watching the steelers reaching for need. this type of drafting landed us big ben as opposed to kevin jones or shaun andrews.

Hypocycloid
04-26-2008, 08:21 PM
I wouldn't mind if they addressed corner either. Develop one and move Townsend to safety if Smith doesn't get his head out of his butt.

BettisFan
04-26-2008, 08:22 PM
this all just proves our draft was great lets not be debie downers

Atlanta Dan
04-26-2008, 08:22 PM

Well I feel so much better that such a shrewd evaluator of talent as Billick is throwing props our way:wink02:

Atlanta Dan
04-26-2008, 08:24 PM
Tomorrow, the FO will go after the Lines...I hope.

Nope - PK in round three - Jeff Reed is not getting any younger

xXTheSteelKingsXx
04-26-2008, 08:28 PM
Nope - PK in round three - Jeff Reed is not getting any younger

No long snapper???:noidea: I'm not sure that Greg Warren will be able to snap 'em like he used to.

Aussie_steeler
04-26-2008, 08:29 PM
I understand what your saying.

But it is a lot like getting excited that we got a brand new SUV... when we have a two year old hummer sitting in the driveway.

and what we really need is a new furnace for the house.

It is great... amazed we can get it... but in the end, will it really help?

In the end it will really help IMO. Mendenhalls acquisition will have cost FWP and leverage he thought he had when his contract is up or salary cap dictates a renegotiation. Sweed also accounts for the hole that will be created when Hines retires.

The steelers almost never draft for immediate need and playing time is not really counted on in the starting lineup. Any that do are an absolute bonus.

Yes we could have taken OL or DE but they would have been slight reaches who run the risk of being the next ALONZO or JAMAIN.

We will not live to regret these two picks in my view.

OneForTheToe
04-26-2008, 08:29 PM
this all just proves our draft was great lets not be debie downers

http://images.thegoodphight.com/images/admin/debbie_downer.jpg

BettisFan
04-26-2008, 08:41 PM
http://images.thegoodphight.com/images/admin/debbie_downer.jpg

True That! lol :applaudit:
Yea and about Jeff Reed lets get a kicker in the 7th....

tony hipchest
04-26-2008, 08:43 PM
Well I feel so much better that such a shrewd evaluator of talent as Billick is throwing props our way:wink02:
lol :chuckle:

touche... :dang:

RoethlisBURGHer
04-26-2008, 08:44 PM
So far I really like our draft.

RASHARD MENDENHALL, RB
College: University of Illinois
Rush Yards Career: 2539
Rush TD Career: 22

Now this gives us the perfect balance at RB. Mendenhall can break tackles, he's got those thick legs, he can bruise it...plus he's got some burner speed when he gets to the second level. This is also a great pick in case we lose Parker to injury again (God forbid). He can also catch the ball out of the backfield, giving Big Ben another receiving option.

LIMAS SWEED
College: University of Texas
Receiving Yards Career: 1915
Receiving TD Career: 20

Now Big Ben has that big receiver he's coveted since Plax left. After Ward and Holmes, there is a HUGE dropoff in WR. Well, now that dropoff is lessened by drafting Sweed.

Steelman16
04-26-2008, 08:48 PM
The Yahoo sports blogger "expert" named MJD (who I absolutely hate) gave us a thumbs-up on the Mendenhall pick. He says that time will prove Mendenhall to be the best back in this draft class, and that the Dallas will regret passing over him for Jones...

Truly the end is near. :chuckle:

I love the Sweed pick. I know there is at least one person excited today... :wink02:

millwalldavey
04-26-2008, 08:50 PM

RASHARD MENDENHALL, RB

Now this gives us the perfect balance at RB. Mendenhall can break tackles, he's got those thick legs, he can bruise it...plus he's got some burner speed when he gets to the second level. This is also a great pick in case we lose Parker to injury again (God forbid). He can also catch the ball out of the backfield, giving Big Ben another receiving option.

LIMAS SWEED

Now Big Ben has that big receiver he's coveted since Plax left. After Ward and Holmes, there is a HUGE dropoff in WR. Well, now that dropoff is lessened by drafting Sweed.

I like Sweed better than the Mendenhall pick, but I am slowly starting to warm to it. There were no quality OL or DL on the board at that #23 pick, so Mendenhall was a good quality pick, just like I thought the Oregon guy was... (sorry... Labatts...)

Sweed was the WR I wanted if they drafted one.

fansince'76
04-26-2008, 08:52 PM
The Yahoo sports blogger "expert" named MJD (who I absolutely hate) gave us a thumbs-up on the Mendenhall pick.

Agreed - isn't that guy a complete tool? :chuckle:

BettisFan
04-26-2008, 08:52 PM

RASHARD MENDENHALL, RB

LIMAS SWEED

Great post i agree fully, You know what ur talking about, :tt03:

WizDom-N.KnowLedge
04-26-2008, 09:02 PM
The Yahoo sports blogger "expert" named MJD (who I absolutely hate) gave us a thumbs-up on the Mendenhall pick. He says that time will prove Mendenhall to be the best back in this draft class, and that the Dallas will regret passing over him for Jones...

Truly the end is near. :chuckle:

I love the Sweed pick. I know there is at least one person excited today... :wink02:

you can count me as one also

WizDom-N.KnowLedge
04-26-2008, 09:03 PM
Some experts had Sweed as high as the number 2 WR in this class.

Preacher
04-26-2008, 09:26 PM
I like Sweed better than the Mendenhall pick, but I am slowly starting to warm to it. There were no quality OL or DL on the board at that #23 pick, so Mendenhall was a good quality pick, just like I thought the Oregon guy was... (sorry... Labatts...)

Sweed was the WR I wanted if they drafted one.

This is exactly my feeling.

In the end.. while I REALLY wanted to see Oline picks... (yeah.. our oline really WAS that bad last year)...

With how the players were falling.. I can't see us doing anything else.

steveironcity
04-26-2008, 09:33 PM
I just home from a wedding, what did i miss?

Atlanta Dan
04-26-2008, 09:44 PM

Steelers drafted the next Franco Harris in the first round and the next John Stallworth in the second - Colts and Pats have already phoned in their concession of the 2008 season

OneForTheToe
04-26-2008, 09:46 PM

So you haven't heard that the Steelers took a kicker in the first round and Brian Brohm in the second.:noidea::wink02:

Oh and Brian Billick thinks we did great.

Believe it or not one of those above is true.

Polamalu Princess
04-26-2008, 09:49 PM
Okay guys, I just got on too and see all the jokes, please REALLY fill me in!!!!

OneForTheToe
04-26-2008, 09:55 PM
Okay guys, I just got on too and see all the jokes, please REALLY fill me in!!!!

Ok seriously:

From ESPN:

Pittsburgh Rashard Mendenhall RB ILLINOIS
Mendenhall isn't going to make many people miss and he's a two-down back at this point; he catches the ball fairly well, but he needs to work on catching the ball away from his frame. Also, he doesn't pick up the blitz consistently. He does have great size and is a tough interior runner who can pick up yards between the tackles, though, and Mendenhall has the second gear to go the distance when he gets a seam

Pittsburgh Limas Sweed WR TEXAS
Sweed is an average route-runner at best and he can struggle when he gets slowed down at the line of scrimmage because he doesn't have great quickness. However, he has good size and is smooth changing directions. In addition, he has good speed and does a good job of tracking the ball downfield.

Two players that were both ranked among the best at there position. Most of the experts think we did well (like Billick). Some here questioning not taking an lineman (valid point) but few are questioning the skill of the players we took.

Hypocycloid
04-26-2008, 09:56 PM

Well there was a run of OL in the first and Mendenhall fell to us, Then a weird run of receivers in the 2nd. Jackassville traded right in front of us in the 2nd and took Groves but Sweed was still sitting there for us to take.

Atlanta Dan
04-26-2008, 09:56 PM

This from SI.com
First round

23) RASHARD MENDENHALL - RB
ILLINOIS - HT: 5-10 WT: 225 - SI GRADE: 4.20

The Steelers unexpectedly land Rashard Mendenhall with the 23rd pick. The Big Ten Offensive Player of the Year compiled 1,681 rushing yards during his junior season, and gives the Steelers a tough, inside runner to complement former Pro Bowler Willie Parker. Mendenhall was expected to be taken earlier in the first round, but he may have landed in the perfect spot for his skills in Pittsburgh.

Second round

LIMAS SWEED - STEELERS - WR
TEXAS - HT: 6-4 WT: 215 - SI GRADE: 3.96

The Steelers appease Ben Roethlisberger by adding a big receiver. Limas Sweed gives the Steelers a legitimate threat in the red zone. This will be viewed as one of the best sleeper picks in the draft in a few years.

Grading system
# 6.0 to 5.00 -- Franchise Prospect -- A player who can change the course of a game and a consistent performer. Multiple Pro-Bowl possibilities and top ten selection. Top five pick and very rare.
# 4.99 to 4.10 -- Quality Prospect -- Someone that consistently gives good performances. Occasional Pro-Bowl appearances.
# 4.09 to 3.75 -- First-Year Contributor -- Prospect that has the ability to make plays from the get-go and start early into his rookie season.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2008/draft/tracker/draft_analysis/round1.html

This from ESPN.com

Steelers are stealing

While so many teams are trading back and forth, the Steelers quietly laid in the weeds today and landed Illinois running back Rashard Mendenhall and Texas receiver Limas Sweed.

Uh oh.

Running back and receiver weren't necessarily needs for the Steelers, but the talent of these two players were too good to resist. Both received first round grades in most projections, and Pittsburgh landed them with the No. 23 and No. 53 overall picks.

The Steelers still need offensive linemen, particularly at tackle. They continued their trend of skipping linemen in the first and second round for the sixth straight year. Look for them to make a run at linemen tomorrow.

But Pittsburgh's offense should be even more dangerous next season with this pair. Mendenhall will backup tailback Willie Parker and have opportunities to wear down the defense, while Sweed is the big-body third receiver the Steelers are looking for.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/hashmarks/0-6-347/Steelers-are-stealing.html

Hypocycloid
04-26-2008, 09:57 PM
Brian Billick did say we had a good draft.

Preacher
04-26-2008, 10:06 PM
This from SI.com
First round

23) RASHARD MENDENHALL - RB
ILLINOIS - HT: 5-10 WT: 225 - SI GRADE: 4.20

The Steelers unexpectedly land Rashard Mendenhall with the 23rd pick. The Big Ten Offensive Player of the Year compiled 1,681 rushing yards during his junior season, and gives the Steelers a tough, inside runner to complement former Pro Bowler Willie Parker. Mendenhall was expected to be taken earlier in the first round, but he may have landed in the perfect spot for his skills in Pittsburgh.

Second round

LIMAS SWEED - STEELERS - WR
TEXAS - HT: 6-4 WT: 215 - SI GRADE: 3.96

The Steelers appease Ben Roethlisberger by adding a big receiver. Limas Sweed gives the Steelers a legitimate threat in the red zone. This will be viewed as one of the best sleeper picks in the draft in a few years.

Grading system
# 6.0 to 5.00 -- Franchise Prospect -- A player who can change the course of a game and a consistent performer. Multiple Pro-Bowl possibilities and top ten selection. Top five pick and very rare.
# 4.99 to 4.10 -- Quality Prospect -- Someone that consistently gives good performances. Occasional Pro-Bowl appearances.
# 4.09 to 3.75 -- First-Year Contributor -- Prospect that has the ability to make plays from the get-go and start early into his rookie season.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2008/draft/tracker/draft_analysis/round1.html

This from ESPN.com

Steelers are stealing

While so many teams are trading back and forth, the Steelers quietly laid in the weeds today and landed Illinois running back Rashard Mendenhall and Texas receiver Limas Sweed.

Uh oh.

Running back and receiver weren't necessarily needs for the Steelers, but the talent of these two players were too good to resist. Both received first round grades in most projections, and Pittsburgh landed them with the No. 23 and No. 53 overall picks.

The Steelers still need offensive linemen, particularly at tackle. They continued their trend of skipping linemen in the first and second round for the sixth straight year. Look for them to make a run at linemen tomorrow.

But Pittsburgh's offense should be even more dangerous next season with this pair. Mendenhall will backup tailback Willie Parker and have opportunities to wear down the defense, while Sweed is the big-body third receiver the Steelers are looking for.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/hashmarks/0-6-347/Steelers-are-stealing.html

AD...

that was a rather optimistic post for you!!

Whats going on, you okay? :hunch:

I'm a little worried! :chuckle:

WizDom-N.KnowLedge
04-26-2008, 10:32 PM
Personally I am hoping we could land either Connor, Zuttah, Hills or Sims.

Hypocycloid
04-26-2008, 10:37 PM
Personally I am hoping we could land either Connor, Zuttah, Hills or Sims.

They are all still available!!!

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-26-2008, 10:42 PM
Collins, Nicks, Zuttah, Moore, Langford, Legursky, Godfrey, King are guys I would like to see picked.

Keep an eye on Bryan Smith from McNeese St. A perfect DE to convert to OLB for the Steelers!!!

WizDom-N.KnowLedge
04-26-2008, 10:58 PM
They are all still available!!!

exactly I hope we could land one of those players come tomorrow

Black@Gold Forever32
04-26-2008, 11:00 PM
Collins, Nicks, Zuttah, Moore, Langford, Legursky, Godfrey, King are guys I would like to see picked.

Keep an eye on Bryan Smith from McNeese St. A perfect DE to convert to OLB for the Steelers!!!

I agree about Smith....I just think the Steelers will address the OL and DL with the next two picks......

BettisFan
04-26-2008, 11:00 PM
We were said to have the 4th best draft this year!!

"4. Pittsburgh Steelers: You've got to be kidding me. Ben Roethlisberger wanted a big receiver and he got Limas Sweed in the second round. Running back Rashard Mendenhall was a steal at No. 23, and combined with Willie Parker, the Steelers should have a dynamite one-two punch in the backfield. The Steelers play the toughest schedule in football this year, and after decades of focusing on defense, they stocked up with some great offensive weapons this year. Roethlisberger now has Hines Ward, Santonio Holmes, Nate Washington and Sweed at receiver, and the talented Heath Miller at tight end."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=3369696

Hypocycloid
04-26-2008, 11:08 PM
We were said to have the 4th best draft this year!!

"4. Pittsburgh Steelers: You've got to be kidding me. Ben Roethlisberger wanted a big receiver and he got Limas Sweed in the second round. Running back Rashard Mendenhall was a steal at No. 23, and combined with Willie Parker, the Steelers should have a dynamite one-two punch in the backfield. The Steelers play the toughest schedule in football this year, and after decades of focusing on defense, they stocked up with some great offensive weapons this year. Roethlisberger now has Hines Ward, Santonio Holmes, Nate Washington and Sweed at receiver, and the talented Heath Miller at tight end."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=3369696

Don't forget about the Big Bodied Spaeth in the endzone and Mendhall is supposed to be a good receiver as well.

Maybe defenses will have to think about rushing a lot of people with so many weapons, an indirect way to help the O-line.

BettisFan
04-26-2008, 11:25 PM
Don't forget about the Big Bodied Spaeth in the endzone and Mendhall is supposed to be a good receiver as well.

Maybe defenses will have to think about rushing a lot of people with so many weapons, an indirect way to help the O-line.

thats whats up! thats what i am saying to everyone to just chill our O-line will be good trust tomlin with the rest of the draft.

WizDom-N.KnowLedge
04-26-2008, 11:49 PM
I think that our line will be much improved just by the addition of Hartwig alone. Granted we lost Faneca but Kemoeatu filled in capably for him. Starks I believe will win the RT slot almost by default seeing that he is now making close to 7 million this year alone. Smith should be healthy and Colon provides good depth

BettisFan
04-27-2008, 12:25 AM
I think that our line will be much improved just by the addition of Hartwig alone. Granted we lost Faneca but Kemoeatu filled in capably for him. Starks I believe will win the RT slot almost by default seeing that he is now making close to 7 million this year alone. Smith should be healthy and Colon provides good depth Yea has everyone forgotten him??

fansince'76
04-27-2008, 12:38 AM
Yea has everyone forgotten him??

No, haven't forgotten Hartwig, I just don't think an OL that has given up almost 100 sacks in the last 2 seasons along with consistently allowing Willie to get hit 2-3 yards deep in the backfield is magically going to be 100% improved by his addition alone, that's all. Hope I'm wrong. What's amazing is that this team has still managed an 8-8 and 10-6 season during that span despite the OL's ineptitude, which is a testament to the personnel this team has at the skill positions. Teams with OLs that perform as badly as ours has the last 2 seasons usually wind up in the neighborhood of 2-14/4-12 records.

BettisFan
04-27-2008, 12:52 AM
Gotta have faith, i really think Tomlin knows what hes doing.

Galax Steeler
04-27-2008, 03:45 AM
Gotta have faith, i really think Tomlin knows what hes doing.

Have to agree tomlin will be fine just have to trust him.

Spidey
04-27-2008, 05:09 AM
two great picks, Mendenhall was just too good to pass up on and all the good tackle propects had gone, there are no OG's considered good enough to take that high either. So it all makes sense to me.

be good to see us get some o'line and d'line hep today though.

very pleased, after all it was our offense that let us down last season, lets just hope that Arians is competent enough to get the most out of these new weapons?

SteelerFanInATL
04-27-2008, 05:51 AM
I wonder if we will take OLmen in the 3rd and 4th rounds. Thats what I'm hoping for.

Elvis
04-27-2008, 05:52 AM
Wow.. what a 1st day huh? I am kind of suprised with the first 2 picks but I think that we did well yesterday. Mendenhall will make a big impact I think with Willie. A nice 1-2 punch in my opinion. But we must address the D line and OG Roy Scheuning is still there for us in the 3rd...
:tt02:

Atlanta Dan
04-27-2008, 07:32 AM
AD...

that was a rather optimistic post for you!!

Whats going on, you okay? :hunch:

I'm a little worried! :chuckle:

Those of course are links for someone who wanted draft news - I report, you decide

My view on the raves about this draft is summed up in my prior post about the next Franco and Stallworth having been drafted & the Pats + Colts having conceded the season

I know the party line is the O line and D line will be addressed today, but lower round picks obviously do not have the same perceived level of talent asplayers picked on Saturday

steel-EERS
04-27-2008, 08:26 AM
Teams with OLs that perform as badly as ours has the last 2 seasons usually wind up in the neighborhood of 2-14/4-12 records.

right on the money, the one thing we have to hope for is better health for the unit as a whole, that would help production IMO. I still think Colon would make a pretty good guard, not sure they would give him a shot there over chis K and leaving the tackle position with less depth. hoping we sellect a future starter at OG today, there are some nice prospects in the third though more than likely a year away from seeing serious PT.

TackleMeBen
04-27-2008, 08:32 AM
Originally Posted by fansince'76
Teams with OLs that perform as badly as ours has the last 2 seasons usually wind up in the neighborhood of 2-14/4-12 records.

that is true.. and we did finish the year what 1-5 or something... all i have to say is if we dont address the OLine, the rooneys wasted 102million dollars, b/c ben will either get killed or be forced to retired

lilyoder6
04-27-2008, 08:35 AM
i think we did very well yesterday in the draft to what we had on the board... all the top lineman were there and like some say... mendenahll was kiper's and mcshay's number #2 rb in the draft.. so i say we did good... i wish we had more picks in the 2nd and 3rd like wash did.. wash wr te wr???? and y dies the draft start so early.. :( i can barely keep my eyes open right now

and who the f is the wr the bengals drafted??????

TackleMeBen
04-27-2008, 08:45 AM
and who the f is the wr the bengals drafted??????

it dont matter who the bengals draft.. they will either suck or be in jail :sofunny::sofunny::sofunny:.

43Hitman
04-27-2008, 09:06 AM
Alright,alright day 2 is under way!

xXTheSteelKingsXx
04-27-2008, 09:13 AM
Grecos gone.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
04-27-2008, 09:14 AM
Ahh. And Langford.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-27-2008, 09:24 AM
...and Godfrey...Justin King is still there though.

43Hitman
04-27-2008, 09:25 AM
Wow what a reach for the Chargers.. They gave up a second round pick next year for Jacob Hester.

Jeremy
04-27-2008, 09:29 AM
...and Godfrey...Justin King is still there though.

King is the best corner left on the board. Plus he can help in the return game.

Jeremy
04-27-2008, 09:31 AM
Wow what a reach for the Chargers.. They gave up a second round pick next year for Jacob Hester.

Wow. I guess the Chargers figure he can play tailback in the NFL.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-27-2008, 09:32 AM
Wow. I guess the Chargers figure he can play tailback in the NFL.

He's a 'tweener"

xXTheSteelKingsXx
04-27-2008, 09:32 AM
Wow KC with another great pick.

Jeremy
04-27-2008, 09:33 AM
He's a 'tweener"

And he's slow. But they did get the guy I was really high on, Antoine Cason.

43Hitman
04-27-2008, 09:34 AM
Damn there goes Conner

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-27-2008, 09:36 AM
Damn there goes Conner

I'm going to start chanting "Moore" and "King"

xXTheSteelKingsXx
04-27-2008, 09:37 AM
LLT, why do think King is being passed up with San Fran taking Reggie Smith?

43Hitman
04-27-2008, 09:38 AM
Hopefully one of those guys will be there.

Jeremy
04-27-2008, 09:40 AM
The Chiefs got their replacement for Tony Gonzalez.

Kirk Barton is still on the board too.

43Hitman
04-27-2008, 09:42 AM
Hey didn't Pat Sims quit on his team? Great pick Bungles

Jeremy
04-27-2008, 09:45 AM
Nice pickup by the Pats.

43Hitman
04-27-2008, 09:47 AM
As much as I hate the Pats, they sure do manipulate the draft well.

millwalldavey
04-27-2008, 09:47 AM
Getting closer.... King so soon?

43Hitman
04-27-2008, 09:49 AM
What has better value now OL or CB?

xXTheSteelKingsXx
04-27-2008, 09:49 AM
Getting closer.... King so soon?

I'm hoping for Collins.

43Hitman
04-27-2008, 09:50 AM
Is Moore still available?

Jeremy
04-27-2008, 09:51 AM
As much as I hate the Pats, they sure do manipulate the draft well.

He's a good safe pick. They're not reaching like some teams are doing.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-27-2008, 09:51 AM
Collins, Zuttah, Moore, Bryant are still on the board.

I'm thinking Carl Nicks might slip to the 4th and I just dont want Kirk Barton.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-27-2008, 09:52 AM
dang it. The eagles just took Bryan Smith from McNeese St. I think he may be a bit of a reach at #3, but still think he could have been a great rushing OLB for us.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
04-27-2008, 09:53 AM
What about Marcous Harrison? Will Pittsburgh take him even though he has had trouble with the law?

Jeremy
04-27-2008, 09:54 AM
The quality of lineman is getting thing and Barton is looking like the best guy still on the board.

The Cards just made Boldin expendable. Fantastic pickup in the third round for them.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-27-2008, 09:57 AM
The quality of lineman is getting thing and Barton is looking like the best guy still on the board.

The Cards just made Boldin expendable. Fantastic pickup in the third round for them.

Lots of good linemen available still. Barton isnt one if them IMO. I said he was a 4th rounder at best and might slide to the 5th. I'm sticking with that but what do I know.

Collins, Nicks, Zuttah are way better options.

Unfortunately, the Ravens are probably gonna scoop one of the OT's in this round. Maybe Collins.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
04-27-2008, 10:00 AM
There went Zuttah.

Steel_Bus_24
zuttah gone...damm you tb

Jeremy
Zuttah gone.

43Hitman
04-27-2008, 10:01 AM
Come on' Moore, Collins, King any of those would be good.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
04-27-2008, 10:02 AM
If Tennessee doen't go wide out here Young is going to be pissed.

Jeremy
04-27-2008, 10:02 AM
Nice pickup by the Falcons. That gives Ryan someone to throw to.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-27-2008, 10:03 AM
LLT, why do think King is being passed up with San Fran taking Reggie Smith?

smith is versatile..can play FS/CB

Jeremy
04-27-2008, 10:04 AM
smith is versatile..can play FS/CB

Plus it's the 49ers. They haven't exactly been good on draft day the last few years.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
04-27-2008, 10:04 AM
do we take manningham too?

xXTheSteelKingsXx
04-27-2008, 10:05 AM
do we take manningham too?

No we have to go line IMO.

43Hitman
04-27-2008, 10:06 AM
If Tennessee doen't go wide out here Young is going to be pissed.

Well they drafted TE, not exactly a a wideout.. Young I guess is pissed.

Preacher
04-27-2008, 10:07 AM
Seems like the round is going real fast...

I guess everyonen had all night to think about it.

Jeremy
04-27-2008, 10:07 AM
This just in.......the Ravens are MORONS!

millwalldavey
04-27-2008, 10:09 AM
Zib was a reach there @ 3

ajs8207
This just in.......the Ravens are MORONS!

Tell us something we don't know :tt02:

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
No we have to go line IMO.

who is the best talent on the board........
Think about it

Hines Ward
Santonio Holmes
Limas Sweed
Mario Manningham

Tell me these guys would not open up our ame running game and prevent teams from blitzing ben on every play

Steel_Bus_24
Come FO...today is where the real work starts!!

Get us some gems

Jeremy
04-27-2008, 10:10 AM
Zib was a reach there @ 3

He would have been a reach at 5. The guy is slow and has piss poor footwork.

millwalldavey
on the clock!

ajs8207
who is the best talent on the board........
Think about it

Hines Ward
Santonio Holmes
Limas Sweed
Mario Manningham

Tell me these guys would not open up our ame running game and prevent teams from blitzing ben on every play

Manningham's character is terrible. Even on top of the marajuana admissions. With what has happened this offseason, the Steelers won't touch him IMO.

Edman
04-27-2008, 10:11 AM
Steelers back on the clock!

millwalldavey
DE Bruce Davis

Edman
Bruce Davis out of UCLA!

Steel_Bus_24
Davis??? Whats the info on him

Preacher
COME ON O LINE

xXTheSteelKingsXx
04-27-2008, 10:12 AM
Bruce Davis???

SteelerFanInATL
Boy, that sure was fast

Preacher
WHAT?????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????

lamberts-lost-tooth
Gotta go King or Moore

Preacher
04-27-2008, 10:13 AM
ESPN draft board has davis as OLB

xXTheSteelKingsXx
How did we leave Dre Moore on the board???

tony hipchest
why do they always interupt steeler picks with commercials, interviews and round table sessions. cant they just discuss the freaking pick. break it down maybe. is that too much to ask? :dang:

Preacher
Please tell me we didn't pick up another 'tweener project.

Jeremy
04-27-2008, 10:14 AM
This draft just went from an A- to a C-.

HORRIBLE pick.

Preacher
why do they always interupt steeler picks with commercials, interviews and round table sessions. cant they just discuss the freaking pick. break it down maybe. is that too much to ask? :dang:

I was asking the same thing yesterday!!

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
anyone know this guy

steveironcity
04-27-2008, 10:15 AM
During things like this, I always tell myself "they know football better than me, and thats why they have the jobs they have"

Steel_Bus_24
That was hella fast...I don't know anything about him..hope he pans out

Jeremy
Davis??? Whats the info on him

Project player. Might not even make the roster.

43Hitman
Okay I am a little bit confused by this pick. Can someone with more insight please explain why we took another tweener.

ajs8207
04-27-2008, 10:16 AM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?id=12018&draftyear=2008

Strengths: Though still needs to improve ability to shed blocks quickly, plays with a mean streak, has above-average upper body strength and made progress in this area during senior season. Takes adequate angles to the ball, has adequate range and makes the occasional play in pursuit. Doesn't do a great job of anticipating the snap but is quick and can disrupt the occasional play in the backfield. Did a better job of using hands to protect legs and improved ability to fight over cut blocks during senior season though is still somewhat inconsistent in this area. Keeps head up and flashes the ability to sniff out screens. Has some experience lining up over tackles and is versatile enough to move to end in a 3-4 two-gap scheme. Played just one season of high school football and is still a little raw but has made strides and should only continue to get better with added experience.

Weaknesses: Plays too high, hasn't shown great lower body strength and can get driven back. Lacks elite size though has the frame to bulk up, plays with a narrow base and can't anchor against double teams at this point. Appears to gear down when sees other defenders get to the ball carrier and effort is inconsistent. Takes too long to read keys when teams run at him and gets caught out of position at times. Appears stiff in space and is an inconsistent open field tackler. Lacks ideal lateral mobility and doesn't set blockers up to the outside before redirecting inside. Lacks ideal closing speed and can be step slow getting to the quarterback. While intercepted a pass last year, frequently fails to get hands up when isn't going to the quarterback and doesn't always time jumps well.

Overall: Moore arrived at Maryland in 2003 and redshirted the year. In his first three seasons (2004-'06), he appeared in 31 games (13 starts) and recorded 77 tackles (nine for losses) and 4.5 sacks. As a senior in 2007, he started all 13 games and finished the season with 63 tackles (8.5 for losses), six sacks, two forced fumbles and an interception. Moore is a developmental prospect who lacks ideal athletic ability, is inconsistent and needs to work on his technique as well as his instincts but he steadily improved at Maryland and he has the size and burst that NFL teams covet at the defensive tackle position. He projects as a late first-day pick consequently.

Jeremy
04-27-2008, 10:17 AM
anyone know this guy

Yeah....watched him in about 6 games this season. Won't contribute in his first two seasons. Too small to play DE in the NFL and too dumb to play OLB.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
04-27-2008, 10:17 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2008/draft/players/19652.html

Bruce Davis
BIOGRAPHY: Two-year starter awarded All-Conference honors since his junior campaign. Totals last season included 45/15.5/12 when he also broke up nine passes. Junior-year numbers included 47/17.5/12.5.

POSITIVES: Explosive college defensive end who projects to outside linebacker at the next level. Plays with great suddenness and explodes off the snap. Quickly changes direction and immediately alters his angle of attack. Covers a good amount of area on the field, displays ability in pursuit, and has a tremendous burst of speed. Gets leverage on opponents, can flatten off the edge, and plays with good balance. Possesses an array of moves, works to get off blocks, and stays with the action.

NEGATIVES: Slow finding the ball and lacks instincts. Struggles handling blocks and more of an outside pass-rusher who avoids blocks. Lacks timed speed. Struggled during the Senior Bowl when he was used extensively at outside linebacker.

ANALYSIS: Davis is a solid athlete who used his quickness and speed to exploit blockers in college. He does not possess the size to line up in a three-point stance at the next level and projects as a pass-rushing linebacker in a 3-4 system. He must learn to make plays in reverse and do a better job diagnosing the action to have any chance of being a starter in the NFL.

PROJECTION: Middle Sixth Round

Edman
04-27-2008, 10:18 AM
REACH.

ZoJax Part 2.

ajs8207
04-27-2008, 10:18 AM
Thank you New York. Everyone is reaching for a pass rush.

Jeremy
04-27-2008, 10:19 AM
Sixth round. Goddman these stupid projects.

Steel_Bus_24
04-27-2008, 10:21 AM
Looks like the 2nd day shenanigans begin

millwalldavey
04-27-2008, 10:21 AM
Minuses:
Projects more as a 3-4 OLB.
Needs to gain strength

Plusses:
24.5 sacks in 2 years at UCLA
Good speed
Excellent first step
"one of the most explosive pass rush threats out of the Pac-10 since Terrell Suggs."

Most guys like this struggle to stick. Nice upside, so who knows. Definatley as an OLB, but not as a DE in this defense.

NFL Network seemed high on this guy.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-27-2008, 10:23 AM
Dont like this pick....not with the talent still on the board

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/bruce-davis?id=1695

43Hitman
So yall think Davis was Tomlin's pick or Colbert's pick?

xXTheSteelKingsXx
What are the chances that Roy Schuening or Anthony Collins fall to us in the fourth?

Jeremy
Minuses:
Projects more as a 3-4 OLB.
Needs to gain strength

Plusses:
24.5 sacks in 2 years at UCLA
Good speed
Excellent first step
"one of the most explosive pass rush threats out of the Pac-10 since Terrell Suggs."

Most guys like this struggle to stick. Nice upside, so who knows. Definatley as an OLB, but not as a DE in this defense.

NFL Network seemed high on this guy.

The guy dominated against teams like Oregon State and Stanford, but was a virtual non factor against teams like USC and Arizona State. Unless he can put on about 20 pounds of muscle, he'll get throw around like a rag doll in the NFL.

millwalldavey
04-27-2008, 10:24 AM
Good thing is, extra weight is easy to com by, unfortunately not the intangibles he may need.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
04-27-2008, 10:24 AM

Probably picked a guy off the street and let him pick.:banging::banging::banging:

Jeremy
04-27-2008, 10:25 AM

It had to be Colbert's pick. If not Colbert, then someone was channeling Cowher when they wrote this guy's name down.

Bad bad reach at this spot in the draft. Too much talent to go shopping for a dude who won't contribute for his first couple of seasons.

Elvis
Probably picked a guy off the street and let him pick.:banging::banging::banging:
:mad::mad::mad: Probably Tomlins!!!:mad::mad::mad:

ajs8207
Hopefully Schuening, Collins, or Pollack will be there when we pick in the 4th

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
04-27-2008, 10:26 AM
you would have to guess that the FO had this guy as the best player on their board.
I would think that they went to work last night and looked at players that were available and said..........Hey.......Davis falls.........hes our best option

Or maybey they went to the bar?

GBMelBlount
04-27-2008, 10:26 AM
I gave us a "D" after the draft last year and had thought we were doing better after day 1 this year....

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-27-2008, 10:27 AM

I think it may have been Cleveland's pick.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
04-27-2008, 10:27 AM
If they were going to take a tweener why not take Avril(who just went to Detroit).

43Hitman
04-27-2008, 10:28 AM

That's sure what it seems like. Man there is still so much talent on the board, they coulda gotten this guy later. Hell he may have gone undrafted. UGH!!!
I really really really hope the FO proves us all wrong here.

Steel_Bus_24
04-27-2008, 10:28 AM
The FO must know...or think they know something about him.....because that was a hella fast pick....almost as fast as Jake Long yesterday!

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-27-2008, 10:30 AM
What are the chances that Roy Schuening or Anthony Collins fall to us in the fourth?

Slim to none...........and Slim just left the building.

Maybe Nicks, but could have got Dre Moore in the 3rd and possibly Carl Nicks in the 4th and covered both line's, a tall WR and a powerful 2nd RB.

Instead, backup OLB project who might be able to play behind Harrison and Woodley??

Preacher
04-27-2008, 10:30 AM
Can anyone say special teams pick?

:noidea:

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-27-2008, 10:31 AM
If they were going to take a tweener why not take Avril(who just went to Detroit).

Great Point!!!

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-27-2008, 10:33 AM
Here is the NFL.com skinny on Davis.

Positives: Long, linear athletic frame. ... As a defensive end, Davis shows a quick first step off the snap to put the offensive tackle on his heels instantly. ... Good balance and body control to dip his shoulder and generate speed around the corner. ... Good recognition and flashed improved lateral quickness to flatten out and extend plays to the sideline while practicing as a linebacker at the Senior Bowl. ... Good straight-line speed.

Negatives: Lacks definition and will need to add strength regardless of his pro position. ... Essentially a one-dimensional speed rusher who plays with too high of a pad level and can get stoned at the line if he tries a bull-rush or to spin back inside. ... Too often Davis is finished if the offensive tackle gets his hands on him. ... Showed the lateral quickness at the Senior Bowl needed to move to linebacker, but struggled with the mental side. May not have the instincts for the position.

Jeremy
04-27-2008, 10:35 AM
Here is the NFL.com skinny on Davis.

Positives: Long, linear athletic frame. ... As a defensive end, Davis shows a quick first step off the snap to put the offensive tackle on his heels instantly. ... Good balance and body control to dip his shoulder and generate speed around the corner. ... Good recognition and flashed improved lateral quickness to flatten out and extend plays to the sideline while practicing as a linebacker at the Senior Bowl. ... Good straight-line speed.

Negatives: Lacks definition and will need to add strength regardless of his pro position. ... Essentially a one-dimensional speed rusher who plays with too high of a pad level and can get stoned at the line if he tries a bull-rush or to spin back inside. ... Too often Davis is finished if the offensive tackle gets his hands on him. ... Showed the lateral quickness at the Senior Bowl needed to move to linebacker, but struggled with the mental side. May not have the instincts for the position.

The kid is as dumb as a barrel of bricks. That's been the knock on him out of Westwood for as long I can remember.

Edman
04-27-2008, 10:36 AM
Brilliant work Colbert and Tomlin. You idiots.

This draft has gone from upper echelon to mediocre.

43Hitman
04-27-2008, 10:37 AM
There goes Mario. Nice pick NY.. good value

rbryan
04-27-2008, 10:38 AM
Did I miss something? are we going with a revolutionary new defense the 2/5?? I guess somebody thinks the LB's we have need more motivation. Please tell me we just made a deal to trade Foote for a 3 and a 4.

I take back my complaining over yesterdays picks, they are genius compared to this one.

43Hitman
04-27-2008, 10:42 AM
See what that terrible pick did. It is tearing this board apart. Posters are now bickering over what someone else typed. Thanks alot Colbert!!

Jeremy
04-27-2008, 10:43 AM
See what that terrible pick did. It is tearing this board apart. Posters are now bickering over what someone else typed. Thanks alot Colbert!!

:applaudit:

Funny stuff man. But it wasn't the pick that did it.

43Hitman
04-27-2008, 10:44 AM
:applaudit:

Funny stuff man. But it wasn't the pick that did it.

Lol just trying to lighten things up a bit.:flap:

Jeremy
04-27-2008, 10:46 AM
Lol just trying to lighten things up a bit.:flap:

The ignore feature usually helps me with that. :thumbsup:

BigBen2WardPITT
04-27-2008, 10:46 AM
so when did everyone lose faith in the steelers on draft day and why?

All the players a team drafts have negatives... davis has his negatives too. Projection 6th round, ok. Not that smart - ok..

I mean, really, who has any idea how good or bad these guys are gonna be, so i think I will stick to the fact that the steelers draft better than any other team in the NFL.

And if anyone thinks we are perfectly find at LB, we aren't. We have needs at OL and DL still, but again, when did we lose trust in the steelers drafting abilities?

Preacher
04-27-2008, 10:48 AM
Then again...

Looking at how tired our LB's were last year... maybe I can understand this... but still. OLINE.

Then again, last year I was screaming for CB's, and they REALLY came out well this year. After all, Tomlin WAS a defensive coach. I guess we'll have to see what he is planning.

Jeremy
04-27-2008, 10:51 AM
Then again...

Looking at how tired our LB's were last year... maybe I can understand this... but still. OLINE.

Then again, last year I was screaming for CB's, and they REALLY came out well this year. After all, Tomlin WAS a defensive coach. I guess we'll have to see what he is planning.

The problem I have with Davis is he's dumb. The knock on him for the last two years has been the fact that he can't do anything more complicated than run from here to there. Maybe the staff knows something that the rest of us don't.

But even if he turns in to a decent linebacker in the NFL, there were still bigger needs than a project OLB at that spot.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
04-27-2008, 10:52 AM
I agree with you Preach. O and D line were, in my opinion, a give in for the third round. I really don't understand drafting a guy in the third you probably could have got in the sixth.

Preacher
04-27-2008, 10:53 AM
The problem I have with Davis is he's dumb. The knock on him for the last two years has been the fact that he can't do anything more complicated than run from here to there. Maybe the staff knows something that the rest of us don't.

But even if he turns in to a decent linebacker in the NFL, there were still bigger needs than a project OLB at that spot.

RUN FOREST RUN

Actually makes me think that he MAY HAVE been drafted for special teams. After all, when talking about a need...

though... I would rather have A REG. PLAYER that can play spec. teams.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
And there goes King.

43Hitman
I think Preacher was the first to say it but the more I think about it the more I think this guy may have been drafted for ST. All he'll have to do is run from here to there.

43Hitman
04-27-2008, 10:57 AM
So who do we take twenty picks from now?

BigBen2WardPITT
04-27-2008, 11:00 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nbl03WpCpXk

athlete

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX5H1oaVRnI&feature=related

intense

xXTheSteelKingsXx
04-27-2008, 11:01 AM
So who do we take twenty picks from now?

Moore or Bryant might still be on the board. I really hope we go line though, be it O or D.

millwalldavey
04-27-2008, 11:01 AM
The more I think about Davis... I think it was mentioned before that thes football guys know more than we do really... maybe they see something we don't

Jeremy
04-27-2008, 11:04 AM
The more I think about Davis... I think it was mentioned before that thes football guys know more than we do really... maybe they see something we don't

Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't.

Willie Reid was a 3rd rounder in 06.

Orein Harris was a 4th rounder in 06.

Fred Gibson was a 4th rounder in 05.

Zo Jackson was a 2nd rounder in 03.

Ivan Taylor was a 4th rounder in 03.

Sometimes the "football guys" are guessing like the rest of us.

43Hitman
04-27-2008, 11:05 AM

We all hope they see something that we don't. Hell, who knows maybe he will be a beast on ST.

43Hitman
04-27-2008, 11:06 AM
Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't.

Willie Reid was a 3rd rounder in 06.

Orein Harris was a 4th rounder in 06.

Fred Gibson was a 4th rounder in 05.

Zo Jackson was a 2nd rounder in 03.

Ivan Taylor was a 4th rounder in 03.

Sometimes the "football guys" are guessing like the rest of us.

That's what scares me the most.

ajs8207
04-27-2008, 11:07 AM
This may be a special teams move as much as a defensive move. And if this guy is a special teams beast, it makes this pick ALOT more likeable.

lamberts-lost-tooth

I hate this pick for the value alone....didnt even have him on my draft board.

Jeremy
That's what scares me the most.

Yup....and that's just a partial list. Go back and take a look at the 03 draft again. That's one of those drafts that makes me glad we have free agency in the NFL.

Hypocycloid
04-27-2008, 11:08 AM
Seems like a reach to me. From the outside it looks like that they were higher on a lot of other guys, but now that everyone is changing to a 3-4 getting those late gems of DE's that can be converted are getting more rare. They now require reaches. That is the only explanation I can come up with.

Hope they know more than me which is more than likely, certainly more than draft experts that had King and Conner going in the first round.

ajs8207
04-27-2008, 11:09 AM
I totally forgot about Connor. Is he still available?

Jeremy
04-27-2008, 11:09 AM
I hate this pick for the value alone....didnt even have him on my draft board.

I hear ya! Not much to like about this pick at all.

It puts the Steelers in a tight box in the 4th. They have to go O Line or risk not helping either line in this draft.