PDA

View Full Version : Official Steelers 2008 NFL Draft Day Talk Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]

TackleMeBen
04-27-2008, 04:34 PM
you better watch out...

you may just get drafted with the steelers next selection.

what? they dont have another one? WHEW!

:chuckle:
could be worse.. you could get drafted by the bengals..lol

BettisFan
04-27-2008, 04:34 PM
wow we only got one lineman.... sad

Atlanta Dan
04-27-2008, 04:35 PM
If anyone on this board thinks Dixon was taken as a pure QB you need to think again. This guy will be our 5th WR/3rd QB. I'd much rather have that option than some guy who's just going to hold a clipboard for 16 games.

I'm not thrilled with this pick, but I do see the allure. Hope we find a way to use him as a weapon, other than psyco-mascot.

Assuming Dixon makes the team it would have to mean curtains for Willie Reid, but Reid was already gone so i continue to grasp at an upside to this pick (5th WR/#3 QB is a prime candidate to deactivate most weeks).

If Dixon wants to study film of the position he will occupy if he makes the team, he can watch 2005-06 film of Duce in his sweats on the sideline

TackleMeBen
04-27-2008, 04:37 PM
wow we only got one lineman.... sad
maybe its a good thing ben did sign that 102 million dollar contract. he will be needing it to pay for the medical team that will have to put him back together after he gets killed by the OLine sucking.:banging:

The Duke
04-27-2008, 04:39 PM
I guess booger gets a call soon....

solid draft. a B + imo

Elvis
04-27-2008, 04:40 PM
Colts just got the Steal of the late rounds when they selected
RB Mike Hart Michigan
at 5'9" 206 lbs this guy was the "Hart and Soul" of the Wolverines team this past season in my opinion.
:wave:

millwalldavey
04-27-2008, 04:41 PM
If Dixon wants to study film of the position he will occupy if he makes the team, he can watch 2005-06 film of Duce in his sweats on the sideline

Hey... Deuce parlayed that into a ring!

Atlanta Dan
04-27-2008, 04:42 PM
This draft would make sense if you were the mid-70s Steelers or 90s Cowboys and were drafting for special team players to back up starters in the primes of their careers and a potential additional weapon to add to a loaded offense.

For a team with the holes of the 2008 Steelers to draft a RB & WR on day #1, followed by 2 LBs, an OT with a long injury history, and Dennis freaking Dixon on day 2 is incomprehensible. Special teams need fixed but so do a lot of starting positions on both sides of the ball.

Maybe the Steelers have some FA signing for the DL on deck, but this draft strategy appears to be a train wreck.

Elvis
04-27-2008, 04:44 PM
Assuming Dixon makes the team it would have to mean curtains for Willie Reid, but Reid was already gone so i continue to grasp at an upside to this pick (5th WR/#3 QB is a prime candidate to deactivate most weeks).

I dont really agree Dan, I think that Dixon, if healthy, could be the next Antwan Randel'el. The guy has alot more speed that Randel' El also and seems like he has a pretty darn strong arm as well. This guy could be special if given time to mature and learn the books.
:noidea:

TackleMeBen
04-27-2008, 04:45 PM
This draft would make sense if you were the mid-70s Steelers or 90s Cowboys and were drafting for special team players to back up starters in the primes of their careers and a potential additional weapon to add to a loaded offense.

For a team with the holes of the 2008 Steelers to draft a RB & WR on day #1, followed by 2 LBs, an OT with a long injury history, and Dennis freaking Dixon on day 2 is incomprehensible. Special teams need fixed but so do a lot of starting positions on both sides of the ball.

Maybe the Steelers have some FA signing for the DL on deck, but this draft strategy appears to be a train wreck.
:iagree: i feel sorry for ben, he is going to be needing his own personal medical staff.

Atlanta Dan
04-27-2008, 04:46 PM
ESPN says we hit "home rns" in selections 1-4.

Picks 3 & 4 may be home runs in pee wee league but not in the majors

Elvis
04-27-2008, 04:46 PM
I guess booger gets a call soon....

solid draft. a B + imo
Our 1st day grade had to be around an A in my opinion, but the last 3 or 4 rounds really hurt our overall grade to me. I give the Steelers a C+
:tt02:

LVSteelersfan
04-27-2008, 04:47 PM
I was a little surprised but not upset by the first two picks. I think both of them were steals where they were picked. But they did not necessarily address our needs. One tackle, a FA center and shifting players we already have doesn't seem like a great way to rebuild an Oline that is suspect at best. Hopefully the new tackle and center will be good enough. Hills from Texas has an injury history which seems to be the case for several of the players picked. I am not sure what I think about this draft. I don't really have time to follow college ball so I don't profess to know much about drafting players. I think the draft was ok but not GREAT by any stretch.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-27-2008, 04:49 PM
:iagree: i feel sorry for ben, he is going to be needing his own personal medical staff.

I think barring injury, he will be OK this year with Smith, Kemo, Hartwig, Simmons, Starks.

The problem is next season it will be Starks, Kemo, Alex Mack, Simmons, Hills (or Colon). The tackles of this kind of lineup worry me a bit.

Mosca
04-27-2008, 04:50 PM

I disagree somewhat, Dan. The linemen this year weren't all that great; there is a real possibility that most of them wind up about as good as the guys we already got. I'd rather see us improve the team at ANY position than draft younger versions of guys already on the team.

I have to say that the Dixon selection puzzles me; kick returns maybe? It would be amazing if the first play of the first game of the year is a kickoff to Dixon... who takes 3 steps upfield and then throws it all the way across to Holmes, who runs it all the way in for a TD... but, that's a long way from where we are today, isn't it. Still, better him than a guy who projects to no better than what we have now. The last two guys, I have to figure that from there on out into UDFA land, the Steelers had everyone about equal, so they picked the guys they wanted first, and then they'll go after UDFAs.

TackleMeBen
04-27-2008, 04:52 PM
I think barring injury, he will be OK this year with Smith, Kemo, Hartwig, Simmons, Starks.

The problem is next season it will be Starks, Kemo, Alex Mack, Simmons, Hills (or Colon). The tackles of this kind of lineup worry me a bit.
i am hoping that hartwig is the missing piece,b/c if he isnt... then ben will be in for a very long and painful season.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-27-2008, 04:52 PM
Mike Humpal LB Iowa. Hmm another LB huh?

Basically Earl Holmes type guy. Good against the run, but comes out on passing downs.

Potential in 3 seasons it could be Humpal and Timmons inside with Woodley and Davis outside.....mmmmmm???

Atlanta Dan
04-27-2008, 04:53 PM
I dont really agree Dan, I think that Dixon, if healthy, could be the next Antwan Randel'el. The guy has alot more speed that Randel' El also and seems like he has a pretty darn strong arm as well. This guy could be special if given time to mature and learn the books.
:noidea:

Sounds to be somewhat an exercise in stereotyping that Dixon is regarded as a sure thing at WR - Randle-El was a small black guy who played QB in college so obviously any small black guy who played QB in college (especially those coming off major knee surgery) will have no problem becoming a NFL WR?

Unless he can play STs I do not see Dixon dressing most weeks even if he makes the team

LVSteelersfan
04-27-2008, 04:53 PM
i am hoping that hartwig is the missing piece,b/c if he isnt... then ben will be in for a very long and painful season.

Ben can take it. He is our man. But seriously folks, teach those boys how to block and keep our golden boy safe from harm. Ben needs to learn to not hold onto the ball so long as well, so it is a two way street.

43Hitman
04-27-2008, 04:56 PM
Basically Earl Holmes type guy. Good against the run, but comes out on passing downs.

Potential in 3 seasons it could be Humpal and Timmons inside with Woodley and Davis outside.....mmmmmm???

Earl Holmes was a reliable player for a few years. I can live with it.

TackleMeBen
04-27-2008, 04:58 PM
Ben can take it. He is our man. But seriously folks, teach those boys how to block and keep our golden boy safe from harm. Ben needs to learn to not hold onto the ball so long as well, so it is a two way street.
i doubt you will be saying that when he is standing on the sidelines on a pair of crutches b/c someone missed their assignment and someone got to his knees.

OneForTheToe
04-27-2008, 04:58 PM
B+ for yesterday and a C+ today. I like the safety pick at the end and the last OLB if we indeed drafted him for depth at ILB.

Hypocycloid
04-27-2008, 05:02 PM
The only thought that I have is that Dennis Dixon could compete for the roster spot of Willie Ried whom I loved when we picked him, but has not done anything since the Fiesta Bowl. If Dennis Dixon could win that roster spot, he could do double duty as receiver and free up another spot on the active roster or PS for another developmental player.

Just a guess as to what potential value he has.....but it can't happen this year since he will go to the IR, correct?
Willie Ried, it is put up or get out this year in training camp.

OneForTheToe
04-27-2008, 05:05 PM
The lack of draft picks of O'linemen will have little effect on how many times Ben gets sacked this season. Did anybody really expect the Steelers to get a starting linemen with where we picked? It will be after this season when we may have to replace Smith, Starks or Kemo, or all three rthat we may feel the pinch.

rdsovchen
04-27-2008, 05:09 PM
Sounds to be somewhat an exercise in stereotyping that Dixon is regarded as a sure thing at WR - Randle-El was a small black guy who played QB in college so obviously any small black guy who played QB in college (especially those coming off major knee surgery) will have no problem becoming a NFL WR?

Unless he can play STs I do not see Dixon dressing most weeks even if he makes the team

He will make the team as third qb, we do not have B. St. Pierre anymore.:tt03:

TackleMeBen
04-27-2008, 05:11 PM
He will make the team as third qb, we do not have B. St. Pierre anymore.:tt03:
BSP did return his playbook right ???:flap:

LVSteelersfan
04-27-2008, 05:11 PM
The lack of draft picks of O'linemen will have little effect on how many times Ben gets sacked this season. Did anybody really expect the Steelers to get a starting linemen with where we picked? It will be after this season when we may have to replace Smith, Starks or Kemo, or all three rthat we may feel the pinch.

You are correct of course. Linemen don't often come in as impact players right off the bat. There are a few exceptions but we will have to hope that the current crop can gel and give Ben a couple more seconds than he got at times last year. Hartwig is the key to the whole thing. Lets hope he is solid and injury free this year.

rdsovchen
04-27-2008, 05:13 PM

Let's just hope that next year we can pick up a decent FA, or that the draft is extremely deep in O-Linemen.

BettisFan
04-27-2008, 05:15 PM
so we dont have a 7th round pick right?

43Hitman
04-27-2008, 05:16 PM
so we dont have a 7th round pick right?

Nope.

Jeremy
04-27-2008, 05:24 PM
Dennis Dixon = goodby Zabransky!

:thumbsup:

:drink:

:thumbsup:

BettisFan
04-27-2008, 05:25 PM
alright so one lineman well i think we will be ok lets just wait and see

Steelman16
04-27-2008, 05:33 PM
My guess is we sign Booger if he can pass that durn physical to help the D-line, as far as O-line...I can only think that Tomlin feels they have a good unit already. Which is hard to believe, but I guess I'll believe it.

I liked that Mundy pick, we seriously needed a replacement for Carter.

TackleMeBen
04-27-2008, 05:45 PM
I can only think that Tomlin feels they have a good unit already. Which is hard to believe, but I guess I'll believe it.

until his star 102 million dollar qb is on the sideline walking on crutches b.c the Oline missed their assignments and someone took out his knee

Atlanta Dan
04-27-2008, 06:01 PM
Let's just hope that next year we can pick up a decent FA, or that the draft is extremely deep in O-Linemen.

This allegedly was the year the draft was loaded with OL at least according to one front office employee

Pittsburgh Steelers director of football operations Kevin Colbert said today at the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis that he thinks he's looking at the best class of offensive tackles in an NFL draft in years, or maybe even decades.

"It's unusual to have that many guys who are that big and that productive," Colbert said. "Most of them are flexible enough to play both left tackle and right tackle.":mad:

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/02/21/nfl-combine-pittsburgh-steelers-kevin-colbert-loves-the-offens/

stillers4me
04-27-2008, 06:06 PM
This allegedly was the year the draft was loaded with OL at least according to one front office employee

Pittsburgh Steelers director of football operations Kevin Colbert said today at the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis that he thinks he's looking at the best class of offensive tackles in an NFL draft in years, or maybe even decades.

"It's unusual to have that many guys who are that big and that productive," Colbert said. "Most of them are flexible enough to play both left tackle and right tackle.":mad:

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/02/21/nfl-combine-pittsburgh-steelers-kevin-colbert-loves-the-offens/

I guess we should have lost a few more games so we would have a had a higher pick. :noidea:

tony hipchest
04-27-2008, 06:09 PM
I guess we should have lost a few more games so we would have a had a higher pick. :noidea:or traded some of the crap we drafted on day 2 to move up for atleast otah. :hunch:

Atlanta Dan
04-27-2008, 06:22 PM
Steeler Nation reacts to the Dixon pick

http://www.truveo.com/Moment-of-Zen-Beating/id/3523726392

JanBr7
04-27-2008, 06:24 PM
until his star 102 million dollar qb is on the sideline walking on crutches b.c the Oline missed their assignments and someone took out his knee

BTW, if that happens, we all get to go take Tomlin OUT. Seriously. That right there is my worst flippin' nightmare, in more ways than one!

Atlanta Dan
04-27-2008, 06:26 PM
I guess we should have lost a few more games so we would have a had a higher pick. :noidea:

If it really was the deepest OT draft in decades then Colbert either passed on a prospect before getting around to picking a OT in round #4 or had a screwed up assessment of how loaded the draft was with OL at the combine.

The OLB pick in round 3 was what sent me over the edge - any word on how the transition to a 4-3 has been helped along this offseason?

Jeremy
04-27-2008, 06:28 PM
If it really was the deepest OT draft in decades then Colbert either passed on a prospect before getting around to picking a OT in round #4 or screwed up his assessment of how loaded the draft was at the combine,.

Thus the problem most of us have with Bruce Davis. Not that he's a terrible player, but that he was picked in a spot where there were still a lot of talented lineman on the board.

TackleMeBen
04-27-2008, 06:42 PM
BTW, if that happens, we all get to go take Tomlin OUT. Seriously. That right there is my worst flippin' nightmare, in more ways than one!
why is it your worse nightmare in more ways than one..lol... i am just saying that if the oline is like it was last year, then we will be cringing everytime he gets the ball.

btw, i love your avatar

xXTheSteelKingsXx
04-27-2008, 06:43 PM
And David Vobora LB out of Idaho is the 2008 NFL draft's Mr. Irrelevent. Congrats David.

Jeremy
04-27-2008, 06:47 PM
Let the UDFA frenzy begin.

TackleMeBen
04-27-2008, 06:52 PM
Let the UDFA frenzy begin.
i hope we do better in the UDFA pool than the draft pool.

RJC
04-27-2008, 07:45 PM
If it really was the deepest OT draft in decades then Colbert either passed on a prospect before getting around to picking a OT in round #4 or had a screwed up assessment of how loaded the draft was with OL at the combine.

The OLB pick in round 3 was what sent me over the edge - any word on how the transition to a 4-3 has been helped along this offseason?

Wake up! WE ARE NOT GOING TO A 4-3. NOT NOW! NOT EVER! This is the 2nd year in a row that we've drafted for the 3-4. It's not happening. Get over it....

tony hipchest
04-27-2008, 07:50 PM
Wake up! WE ARE NOT GOING TO A 4-3. NOT NOW! NOT EVER! This is the 2nd year in a row that we've drafted for the 3-4. It's not happening. Get over it....wow.

the rage....

Hines0wnz
04-27-2008, 07:51 PM
or traded some of the crap we drafted on day 2 to move up for atleast otah. :hunch:

I was waiting for the Steelers to make a move up with the Chiefs having so many picks....oh well.

Atlanta Dan
04-27-2008, 07:51 PM
wow.

the rage....

Empty barrels make the most noise

Hines0wnz
04-27-2008, 07:53 PM
Wake up! WE ARE NOT GOING TO A 4-3. NOT NOW! NOT EVER! This is the 2nd year in a row that we've drafted for the 3-4. It's not happening. Get over it....

haha.....wow man. :tt03:

RJC
04-27-2008, 07:53 PM
Empty barrels make the most noise

Empty heads say things like "any word on how the transition to a 4-3 has been helped along this offseason?"

Atlanta Dan
04-27-2008, 07:54 PM
Empty heads say things like "any word on how the transition to a 4-3 has been helped along this offseason?"

Bye:wave:

Hines0wnz
04-27-2008, 08:02 PM
brian billick just singled out the steelers as the team that had an impressive 1st day of the draft.

pretty cool to see the old adversary give some respect.

He was just trying to keep his name in the running for a future OC position. :rofl: