PDA

View Full Version : Steelers select Rashard Mendenhall with 23rd pick

Steel Buckeye
04-26-2008, 05:50 PM
Wow, this has to be the shocker of the draft, all top linemen gone and Mendenhall falls to us. I am a bit torn on this pick, I really like Mendenhall but think we could have used a tall WR. Any thoughts?

Virginia Steeler
04-26-2008, 05:52 PM
i love the pick

they can get a #3 or 4 WR in the 2nd rd

this is a steal

Rhee Rhee
04-26-2008, 05:53 PM
i love the pick

this is a steal

i hope they dont and get a DB...

steelreserve
04-26-2008, 05:54 PM
Well, that pretty much blew me away. Wasn't expecting a RB at all, to tell you the truth. But if he turns out to be what we hope for, this could FINALLY help solve the problems *coughpowergamecough* we've had in the backfield since Bettis retired.

Wonder if this means Najeh is on his way out the door for good ...

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
04-26-2008, 05:54 PM
I think it was a good pick......Possibly the best running back in the draft?
Also.......there was not an OL worth a first round pick........Im sure we looked to trade down and tehre was no one willing

steelreserve
04-26-2008, 05:56 PM
i love the pick

this is a steal

#3 WRs are a dime a dozen. We can probably sign an OK one as a free agent just as easily. Unless maybe Manningham continues to fall? He could turn out to be a steal too. Who knows.

Virginia Steeler
04-26-2008, 05:57 PM
Will all the O-Linemen drafted already, it would have been a HUGE mistake to take a lineman -- steelers got possibly the best RB in the draft -- a lot like getting Holmes 2 years ago - getting the best guy avail

revefsreleets
04-26-2008, 05:59 PM
I love the pick. He's young and hasn't had a ton of mileage. I had Stewart maybe falling, but I never dreamed Mendenhall would fall that far.

I expect Hardy to be the #2 pick now. He should definitely be there now since no one has even touched WR's yet.

PalmerSteel
04-26-2008, 06:23 PM
never thought i would see us draft a rb 1st but also didnt think that many o-line men would be drafted before 23 either. in limbo on this one.....

Miguel58
04-26-2008, 06:25 PM
Thats ok... its a good pick,

BettisFan
04-26-2008, 06:37 PM
Wooohooo

ShutDown24
04-26-2008, 06:49 PM
Mendenhall should have been gone WAY before 23. We got extremely lucky and should be more than thankful that he fell to us.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-26-2008, 06:51 PM
Also.......there was not an OL worth a first round pick........Im sure we looked to trade down and tehre was no one willing

Yeah, I thought the pick would be Balmer after all the O linemen went, but I agree that Mendenhall is probably the best RB in the draft.

He is powerful and hits the hole well, then has a burst to get thru it. Kind of reminds me of Eggerin James. On the other hand McFadden reminds me of Reggie Bush lite.

I like the pick. He was the best athlete available. I would still like to see an O lineman drafted in round 2 or 3.

steel-EERS
04-26-2008, 07:01 PM
limas sweed and james hardy are still available, if that is what they want in rd two there should be a good one available

Steeldude
04-26-2008, 07:43 PM
will this pick be doing anything other than riding the bench for 3 to 4 years? will he then be lost via free agency after that tenure? does anyone think he will start ahead of parker any time soon? is this pick supposed to fill the need of a power running game? i think that has more to do with the steelers' O-line than the RB.

IMO, mendenhall's durability is unknown. he has played only one season as a starter.

i am not knocking the pick, but to me this makes more sense if parker's leg isn't healing well.

oh well, hopefully all works out well :thumbsup: perhaps he will be another barry foster, but with a better head on his shoulders.

Black@Gold Forever32
04-26-2008, 07:43 PM

Nice post and I agree....All the OL worth a damn were gone...Even the over-rated ones like Otah and Cherilus were gone.....Mendenhall was tremendous value at 23....Plus if Parker goes down again we finally have a quality replacement....Dookie didn't cut it and Moore isn't a starting RB if Parker did go down again...I liked the Moore signing but Mendenhall can catch out of the backfield also...I think Moore will just be a return man now and just serve as more RB depth...Would be shocked if Dookie makes the team now....

I can never fault the Steelers for taking best available and the Steelers did that with Mendenhall...

Steel Buckeye
04-26-2008, 07:53 PM
I was hoping for James Hardy in round 2, sadly he was taken by the Bills. There are still some good linemen available in later rounds so I'm hoping for the best.

Steeldude
04-26-2008, 08:22 PM
Dookie didn't cut it and Moore isn't a starting RB if Parker did go down again...I liked the Moore signing but Mendenhall can catch out of the backfield also...I think Moore will just be a return man now and just serve as more RB depth...Would be shocked if Dookie makes the team now..

russell is ahead of moore on the depth chart. mendenhall will make the team purely based on his selection in the draft if nothing else. that leaves russell, davenport, moore and carey to fight it out.

HometownGal
04-26-2008, 08:48 PM
I, too was quite surprised by the pick, but this kid has lots of talent and oodles of potential in the NFL, and as was mentioned above, is a steal. :thumbsup:

rdsovchen
04-26-2008, 08:57 PM
will this pick be doing anything other than riding the bench for 3 to 4 years? will he then be lost via free agency after that tenure? does anyone think he will start ahead of parker any time soon? is this pick supposed to fill the need of a power running game? i think that has more to do with the steelers' O-line than the RB.

IMO, mendenhall's durability is unknown. he has played only one season as a starter.

i am not knocking the pick, but to me this makes more sense if parker's leg isn't healing well.

oh well, hopefully all works out well :thumbsup: perhaps he will be another barry foster, but with a better head on his shoulders.

All of the latest interviews with Steeler brass have them looking at more of the 2 back tandom system which tells me Mendenhall will be ready to spell Willie come official game time. What a pairing...Fast Willie and a POUNDER in Mendenhall that has his own burst of speed...No more third and coming up short when its on the line....It's ball control time.

St33lersguy
04-26-2008, 08:58 PM
This has to be a wasted pick. The OL gives up 47 sacks and has our $102,000,000 quarterback running for his life half of the he drops back to pass, the DE position gets exposed as a weakness after Aaron Smith's injury and is screaming for depth, and they only have 2 good receivers and need to add depth for the loss of Cedrick Wilson (talking about the time of the drafting of Mendenhall), and they have a grand total of 9 running backs. So what do they do they raft a running back. They did not need a running back they had much more pressing needs. BAD DECISION!!!!! You draft for need, not for talent. Besides, 247 pond Najeh Davenport is good enough, he finished with a 4.7 ypc.

HometownGal
04-26-2008, 09:02 PM
This has to be a wasted pick. The OL gives up 47 sacks and has our $102,000,000 quarterback running for his life half of the he drops back to pass, the DE position gets exposed as a weakness after Aaron Smith's injury and is screaming for depth, and they only have 2 good receivers and need to add depth for the loss of Cedrick Wilson (talking about the time of the drafting of Mendenhall), and they have a grand total of 9 running backs. So what do they do they raft a running back. They did not need a running back they had much more pressing needs. BAD DECISION!!!!! You draft for need, not for talent. Besides, 247 pond Najeh Davenport is good enough, he finished with a 4.7 ypc.

We have several more rounds - keep the faith (as I'm trying really had to do) that the Steelers will pick up one of the few decent OL'men left in Round 3 and/or 4.

That being said, however, I was just as shocked as you were that they chose a RB in the 1st, though Mendenhall was quite a steal at #23.

Black@Gold Forever32
04-26-2008, 09:09 PM

What OL did you want the Steelers to take at 23? Clady, Williams and Albert were gone by 23....Over-rated players like Otah and Cherilus were gone....2nd round prospect like Sam Baker and Duane Brown went in the first round when they shouldn't have....One other point about the DL...I agree DE is a huge need...But I have questions about Balmer, Merling and Campbell playing in a 3-4......The Steelers were kind of stuck and they had to take the highest player on their board and I'm sure at that point it was Mendenhall...Mendenhall also puts Dookie to shame......The Steelers ended up with Sweed in the 2nd....

SteelerFanInATL
04-26-2008, 09:15 PM

How many of our great linemen were picked up in the first round?? Plenty more picks to go.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
04-26-2008, 09:19 PM
Maybe if we had more picks we could have made a move for a linemen in the first but with only six we were really stuck at 23 with the options of BPA or trading back. I for one am glad we took Mendenhall and didn't reach for a Sam Baker or a Duane Brown.

Swann_Song
04-26-2008, 09:22 PM
Great pick - with this and Sweed, the Steelers lucked into to great value picks.

Sweed can learn ALOT from Ward over the next few years and Mendy will compliment Willie P very well.

millwalldavey
04-26-2008, 09:57 PM
I'm warming to MEndenhall as the hours go by. And Loved Sweed!

DACEB
04-28-2008, 07:13 AM
Everyone on here knows I wanted defense, but how can you complain about this guy. He will replace Dookie for sure, and provide an immediate spark to the running game and STs. We now have arguably one of the best offensive backfields in the league!