PDA

View Full Version : Steelers select Limas Sweed

Steel Buckeye
04-26-2008, 07:16 PM
Now this is a pick I'm excited about, today the Steelers got 2 huge steals. I'm still worried about the o-line, but Carl Nicks, Kirk Barton, and Drew Radovich are still there. I really hope they spend the next 2 picks on o-line, or these flashy new players of ours won't do much good.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-26-2008, 07:23 PM
Gotta say I am diasppointed by not getting O linemen or D linemen on day 1, but Mendenhall and Sweed are great talents!!!

Sweed slipped because of injury and slow times, but if you watched him play he is a big time WR and the possibility of Holmes, Sweed and Miller as targets for Ben is outstanding!!

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-26-2008, 07:24 PM
Sorry Buckeye, not a Barton fan. Still hoping Collins or Nicks will be around in the 3rd, but might have to take a look at Kendall Langford if he is around too.

Black@Gold Forever32
04-26-2008, 07:26 PM
I believe DL will be the next target....Dude all the top OL were gone by 23....even over-rated ones like Otah and Cherilus were gone by 23.....Sam Baker and Duane Brown both went in the first round when they should have been 2nd rounders......It just wasn't in the cards for us to take an OL early...lol

Steeldude
04-26-2008, 07:26 PM
i guarantee next year there will be another large group of steelers' fans wanting a WR taken in the first round.

Rhee Rhee
04-26-2008, 07:31 PM
i might be in the minority but im too angry that groves went right before us to be ecstatic about sweed...

he's an athletically gifted reciever and he knowns how to find that ball, catches the ball very well but im a little afraid the only route he knows how to run is a fade or a streak (just look at his highlights)... we already have santonio holmes to do that for us...

im a little iffy on this pick.. but it could turn out very well

BettisFan
04-26-2008, 07:43 PM
we got our tall wide out!

rdsovchen
04-26-2008, 07:45 PM
oooohh boy,
Mendenhall....and then Sweed! Holy crap, can you say 40+ points a game.
Think they are trying to keep pace with Indy and New England.
This offense better rock and roll, no matter what kind of O-Line they can put together.

SteelerFanInATL
04-26-2008, 07:47 PM
Now this is a pick I'm excited about, today the Steelers got 2 huge steals. I'm still worried about the o-line, but Carl Nicks, Kirk Barton, and Drew Radovich are still there. I really hope they spend the next 2 picks on o-line, or these flashy new players of ours won't do much good.

I agree 100%. Tomorrow will be interesting. Can't wait to see what happens:tt::tt:

HometownGal
04-26-2008, 07:54 PM
This is the tall receiver the Steelers wanted for Ben - good pick. :tt02: My wee bit of hesitation here is that Sweed had wrist surgery this past season, but hopefully this won't be a factor in how well he performs. From the reading I've done on him, he is very capable of putting up the numbers and also can go across the middle with ease.

The Duke
04-26-2008, 07:56 PM
This offense better rock and roll, no matter what kind of O-Line they can put together.

yeah, I bet that's everyone's dream. but it's not gonna happen. fact is they need solid linemen, not any scrub that gets pushed around all day.

the picks have been great today, but helping the o line is needed

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-26-2008, 08:00 PM
he's an athletically gifted reciever and he knowns how to find that ball, catches the ball very well but im a little afraid the only route he knows how to run is a fade or a streak (just look at his highlights)... we already have santonio holmes to do that for us...

Sweed and Holmes are 2 completely differenct WR's and size has a lot to do with that.

A basic passing tree only has 9 routes on it and I'm sure Sweed knows how to run a 3 (in route), 5 (hook) just as much as a 9(fly or go route). He was a top 10 pick at the start of the 2007 season.....a wrist injury made him slide. Its a great pick!!

fansince'76
04-26-2008, 08:02 PM
i guarantee next year there will be another large group of steelers' fans wanting a WR taken in the first round.

Yep, along with the annual clamoring for another "big back."

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-26-2008, 08:02 PM

So far it looks like Smith, Kemoateu, Hartwig, Simmons, Starks will be a good O line.

The problem is that Smith, Kemo, Starks, Essex are all in the final year of their contracts. If O line isnt addressed tomorrow, 2009 will be scary for Ben!

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-26-2008, 08:03 PM

Hey, are we getting cheerleaders and block letters too:laughing:

St33lersguy
04-26-2008, 08:07 PM
This is a great pick. It addresses a big need and fulfills the wishes of big ben. It is also redemtion after the steelers practically wasted their first round pick for a f***ing running back ( a position where they were perfectly set) and hopefully gives ben someone to throw the ball to aside from Ward and Holmes (other than crap like Nate Washington and Willie Ried). Lets pray the steelers adress the dire need at both lines.

St33lersguy
04-26-2008, 08:12 PM
Also for targets for ben I forgot to mention, the talented TEs

19ward86
04-26-2008, 09:08 PM
3-Dre Moore
4-Kirk Barton
5-Corey Lynch
6-I truly dont know who to put here...

Texasteel
04-26-2008, 09:15 PM
3-Dre Moore
4-Kirk Barton
5-Corey Lynch
6-I truly dont know who to put here...

I could live with that bunch. I would put a KR in at 6.

steeler dude
04-26-2008, 09:23 PM
:tt02::tt03::tt::thumbsup:wow i really like that 2nd round pick. i love our rec corp /ward the tough guy great blocker wr /holmes the burner /health miller super glue hands te and now limas sweed 6-5 220 lbs with good hands and great work ethic happy b-day BEN :drink:

BettisFan
04-26-2008, 09:35 PM
on ESPN2 they just said we had the best draft!!!

LambertIsGod58
04-26-2008, 09:44 PM
I am excited about these pics....truly. Sweed at one time was listed as the best WR in the class. I was surprised he slipped that far. The face of this team is about to change I think. No more power running and defense......

Mosca
04-26-2008, 09:58 PM
Here is one thing you want to know about Sweed...

Graduated in December, 2007 with a degree in Youth and Community Studies and a minor in Business.

Notice... he graduated a semester early.

Mosca
04-27-2008, 09:06 AM
Oh; and I bet Hines Ward is pissed.

He's probably in the weight room right now, doing benches, thinking of Tomlin and on every press saying "Mother****** sixteen! Mother****** seventeen! Mother****** eighteen... Mother****** thirty! That'll show y'all, I'm playin' til I'm 80! NEVER doubt Hines Ward, Mother*******!"

Jeremy
04-27-2008, 09:09 AM
Why would Ward be pissed? If Sweed can come all the way back from the wrist injury like most people think he will, Pittsburgh just extended Ward's career by a couple of years.

Playing in the slot is going to take some of the wear and tear away from Ward.

Mosca
04-27-2008, 09:25 AM
Why would Ward be pissed? If Sweed can come all the way back from the wrist injury like most people think he will, Pittsburgh just extended Ward's career by a couple of years.

LOL, because he's always pissed about stuff like that; it's how he motivates himself.

millwalldavey
04-27-2008, 09:27 AM
Damn... I LOVE theis one!!!!!!!

Jeremy
04-27-2008, 09:32 AM
LOL, because he's always pissed about stuff like that; it's how he motivates himself.

Whatever he has to do I guess.

BigBen2WardPITT
04-27-2008, 10:24 AM

i'll counter that complaint:

yes, because our running game was so great last year (sarcasm).

rdsovchen
04-27-2008, 11:31 AM

I agree, can you imagine what Ward will do if someone else is able to attract the double team. Ward alone is great enough as it is when he attracts all the attention.:thumbsup: Great pick Steelers Brass

Mosca
04-27-2008, 12:01 PM
Sheesh... I'm not saying he SHOULD be pissed... but that it's his nature to be pissed over things like this, it's how he pumps himself up. He always puts himself in the mind that people don't believe in him, and then sets out to prove them wrong.

He's pissed when we sign WRs as UDFAs, for chrissake.

revefsreleets
04-27-2008, 03:39 PM
The running game was bad last year? Didn't we have the leading rusher in the NFL before he got injured?

Adding some thunder to Willie's lightning automatically makes the running game even better. It relieves pressure on the passing game, It can even be argued that it relieves pressure on the line since a bigger back like RM can break some tackles and make some of his own yards, not to mention catching balls out of the backfield on quick dumps when the defense gets pressure.

Steel Buckeye
05-03-2008, 01:00 PM
I think Sweed is the best pick of the Steelers draft. He will create Randy Moss-like matchup nightmares. I don't know how our AFC North rivals are gonna deal with this. With Hines, Santonio, Sweed getting a lot of playing time and Nate Washington, Dallas Baker as slot receivers we can have one of the leagues best receiving corps.

millwalldavey
05-03-2008, 01:12 PM
I heard he had a good first day at the mini.

Rhee Rhee
05-03-2008, 01:42 PM
[QUOTE=Steel Buckeye;394285]I think Sweed is the best pick of the Steelers draft. He will create Randy Moss-like matchup nightmares.QUOTE]

i think that's a bit of a stretch...

through his college days moss was a man playing amongst boys.. no one could cover him because he was 6'4 210 and ran a 4.25s plus it helped that his vert was 51 inches which is basically like jumping to about your shoulders...

moss is moss and honestly is the most athletically gifted reciever ever... sweed will be good but will never approach moss's greatness...

the one player who had the talent to equal moss was plax... but he never had the work ethic or the attitude..

Galax Steeler
05-03-2008, 02:03 PM
Moss is moss he will always be great and in the hall of fame.

Texasteel
05-03-2008, 05:55 PM
I'd say Ward, Holmes, and Sweed is #1, 2, & 3, even before Sweed signs a contract. Nate seems to continue to get better, and now I hear Baker is starting to come on. Willy Reed had better show something real quick or he may be the next exSteeler.

MasterOfPuppets
05-03-2008, 08:33 PM
[QUOTE=Steel Buckeye;394285]plus it helped that his vert was 51 inches which is basically like jumping to about your shoulders...

are you like....5 ft tall ??? :toofunny:

Steel Buckeye
05-03-2008, 10:27 PM
I'm not saying he is the next Randy Moss, or that he is as talented. He creates a similar threat that Moss, Burress, and even Braylon Edwards creates. The Steelers have lacked a tall receiving threat since Plaxico left. With Ben finally becoming the elite QB we all knew he could be paired with a talent like Sweed, great things can happen. Opposing defenses won't know what to do, especially in the AFC North with the inexperienced, poor, or aging corners our rivals have. They won't know how to deal with an elite running game, and a passing game that includes Hines Ward, Holmes, and a 6'4 rookie with great hands. Also include Washington and Baker as slot receivers, and you have an offensive nightmare. The only concern is the O-line, but hopefully all the weapons Ben has will help out until we can address the line next year.