PDA

View Full Version : The Steelers didn't regain their physicality today.

Edman
04-27-2008, 12:08 AM
Yes, both Mendenhall and Sweed are fine picks. But what about both lines?

But I'm still worried that teams like Jacksonville will still bully us around like last year. What are Colbert and Tomlin going to do about it?

I hope they draft some big guys tommorrow.

tony hipchest
04-27-2008, 12:11 AM
starks, hampton, essex, kemo, smith, hoke etc. arent big?

i think it takes more than size.

Preacher
04-27-2008, 12:13 AM
starks, hampton, essex, kemo, smith, hoke etc. arent big?

i think it takes more than size.

LOL..

I think he was nicknaming these guys...

We do need some lineman tomorrow.

dunkuntou
04-27-2008, 12:33 AM

But I'm still worried that teams like Jacksonville will still bully us around like last year. What are Colbert and Tomlin going to do about it?

See this stuff kills me. We do need depth on the defensive line and that will most certainly be addressed tomorrow. As far as the offensive line there was never any guarantee that the Steelers were going to "address their o-line problems" in the first two rounds.

Mendenhall and Sweed aren't "fine picks". They were great selections who no one thought we would be able to get them were we did.

Where we need to get better is in the middle of our line. Our offensive line will be better than last regardless of an addition tomorrow or not.

Everyone should be esatic about what happened today

WizDom-N.KnowLedge
04-27-2008, 12:43 AM
See this stuff kills me. We do need depth on the defensive line and that will most certainly be addressed tomorrow. As far as the offensive line there was never any guarantee that the Steelers were going to "address their o-line problems" in the first two rounds.

Mendenhall and Sweed aren't "fine picks". They were great selections who no one thought we would be able to get them were we did.

Where we need to get better is in the middle of our line. Our offensive line will be better than last regardless of an addition tomorrow or not.

iam with you on this :thumbsup:

BettisFan
04-27-2008, 12:43 AM
http://www.theygay.com/images/celebs/debbie.bmp

Haha for real guys let the draft finish then i guess u can complain i mean give our Line some credit they can get better and lets hope we draft a few sunday.

Steeldude
04-27-2008, 12:58 AM
the steelers will select some sweet lowgrade linemen as camp fodder on sunday. looks like another 2 years of BR on his back and the RBs getting hit in the backfield. hurray.

Hypocycloid
04-27-2008, 01:27 AM
I think there is something physical about a 6'4" 225 lb wide receiver who can run a sub 4.5. I think he can out muscle most corners and outreach them.

I also think a running back who is 5'10" 225 and has been timed as fast as 4.37 with a low center of gravity who can punch it in at the goal line (unlike Parker) is a little bit of a physical upgrade.

Maybe not the way a lot of people were thinking, but they definitely got more physical.

tony hipchest
04-27-2008, 01:42 AM
looks like another 2 years of BR on his back and the RBs getting hit in the backfield. hurray.as long as ben aint laying on his face on the hood of a crown victoria, im good.

i think last year was about as healthy as ben has been throughout his career. a little tweaking of his footwork plus the new offensive weapons can cut down atleast 10 sacks this season.

as slow and relaxed as his dropback is, plus with his tough guy gunslinger mentality, he will never be a qb who only gets sacked 20 times.

Da Steeler Soprano
04-27-2008, 01:44 AM

Me 2 man, I am more then estatic about our picks today. I ran down the street cheering and screaming when we picked Mendenhall, and then did the same thing when we got Sweed. Everyone seems to keep on forgetting that the Steelers signed Justin Hartwig who is a beast at center, and that filled the only real glaring void in our line.

Steeldude
04-27-2008, 02:19 AM
as long as ben aint laying on his face on the hood of a crown victoria, im good.

good point :laughing:

Steeldude
04-27-2008, 02:22 AM
I think there is something physical about a 6'4" 225 lb wide receiver who can run a sub 4.5. I think he can out muscle most corners and outreach them.

I also think a running back who is 5'10" 225 and has been timed as fast as 4.37 with a low center of gravity who can punch it in at the goal line (unlike Parker) is a little bit of a physical upgrade.

Maybe not the way a lot of people were thinking, but they definitely got more physical.

mendenhall ran a 4.45 40 in the combine. i have never heard of him running a sub 4.4. regardless, it's still a very good time. especially considering his size.

Hypocycloid
04-27-2008, 02:33 AM
mendenhall ran a 4.45 40 in the combine. i have never heard of him running a sub 4.4. regardless, it's still a very good time. especially considering his size.

I read differently, the link is below.

Rashard Mendenhall, Illinois
Height: 5-10. Weight: 225.
Projected 40 Time: 4.43.
Combine 40: 4.37.
Benchx225: 26. Vertical: 33.5. Broad .
Projected Round: Top 20 Pick.
If it wasn't for Darren McFadden's 40 time, everyone would be talking about Rashard Mendenhall's. A 4.37 from a 225-pound running back? That's sick. His bench and vertical numbers weren't bad either.

http://www.walterfootball.com/combine2008RB.php

Hypocycloid
04-27-2008, 02:37 AM
I think people are quoting his projected 40 as his combine results and that has clouded the stats. Perhaps my source is wrong.

Rhee Rhee
04-27-2008, 02:47 AM
3. Langford and if we're lucky 4. anthony collins..

Galax Steeler
04-27-2008, 04:36 AM
3. Langford and if we're lucky 4. anthony collins..

I think we will gain a coulple of lineman today and those two would be great if we can land them.

SteelerFanInATL
04-27-2008, 07:21 AM

The top rated/elite guys go early. Would you rather us REACH on someone that was not worth or under performed like a #1 choice and miss out on the steels of the draft.
If I remember correctly, Ben himself said that the sack problem was not all on the
OL. He said that he was responsible also. I believe that coaching as well as some good picks will take us a long way this year.

Elvis
04-27-2008, 07:24 AM
:applaudit: I think that the Steelers got more physical with both their choices yesterday. Mendenhall is a nice 225 lbs guy and Sweed is 6'5 and 224 lbs. How can that NOT help our team? I like the first 2 picks and now in the next rounds though they need to supply some help for the O and D lines and LB's.
:hatsoff:

GBMelBlount
04-27-2008, 08:44 AM
NCSteeler

I for one am gald we got great players at very reasonable picks. I am glad we didn't reach like the Texans for Duane Brown, just because we felt we needed depth....it was a good move for us to stand pat and pick up th egreat players the others passed up.

I agree, considering what was available at each pick. I am still disappointed we weren't able address either line in the first two rounds. At this point I feel the lines need to be addressed in the next two rounds unless there is an absolutely ridiculous value at CB.

Steel_Bus_24
04-27-2008, 08:52 AM
http://maddenfb.com/photos/maddennfl09draft/images/7684/original.aspx

I think we did get some with Mendhenhall...but yeah the line will have to grow a pair this year

Michael Keller
04-27-2008, 09:01 AM
Extremely great choices . I am beyond happy. Watch the clips on both of these guys, Job well done Steeler draft team.

I personally believe the THIRD PICK is the key one for the Steelers as to how they will do next year. Now they must choose the BEST (by their standards) defensive end or offensive lineman. NO corner back , no punt returner , whick I know they need. If they select a solid impact DE or OL in the 3rd we can be optimistic that this team is a better football team than last year.

rbryan
04-27-2008, 09:11 AM
I can only hope the FO knows something I don't about the progress of the OLinemen already on the roster. I understand not using #23 on an OL when the top graded were all gone, but how about trading down and getting some more picks? or better yet Merling to sure up the DL. I hate drafting a RB #1, thats video game/fantasy football mentality, they're a dime a dozen and the most prone to be a bust.

Maybe we can get the big OT we need next year when we're picking #8.

Edman
04-27-2008, 09:25 AM
No I'm not being a Downer. I'm esctatic about our picks too. I am fully aware that we got the best value we had to get at 1.23 and 2.53.

All the good linemen dropped like flies. I'm just hoping we can pick up some more secret gems on both sides today.

rbryan
04-27-2008, 09:32 AM
I guess I'm a downer this morning. I hope I'm wrong, maybe these two guys are pro bowlers for years to come.

We sent Tomlin to the grocery store but instead of meat and potatoes we get ice cream and cake. The kids love it, but I need a little more time to digest junk food for dinner.

stillers4me
04-27-2008, 09:34 AM
We got ourselves two GREAT new Steelers yesterday, regardless of the position they play. While those positions are not our greatest need, they are holes that need plugged.........and they did it! Willie needs help or he's not going to last another 2 years and Hines isn't going to hold out forever, either. Nice job, Pittsburgh! :applaudit: Two new high quality weapons for Ben ...........no down side there! :tt02:

And never underestimate how good we are finding those undrafted diamonds in the rough.

I have to admit though, the thought of Ben flat on his back and pulling himself out of all those sacks makes me queasy, but right now, I'm just going on faith that it will be resolved by September. :popcorn:

Jeremy
04-27-2008, 09:56 AM
It figures. Pittsburgh adds to major playmakers and there are still people who whine about the lines.

GBMelBlount
04-27-2008, 10:04 AM
It figures. Pittsburgh adds to major playmakers and there are still people who whine about the lines.

It figures. We have great need on both lines and some people only care about the playmakers.

Jeremy
04-27-2008, 10:06 AM
It figures. We have great need on both lines and some people only care about the playmakers.

If you can't score, you won't win. The days of 14-10 football games are over. It's too bad half the fanbase doesn't understand that yet.

millwalldavey
04-27-2008, 10:25 AM
I'm sorry... I wanted linemen as well with these picks... but are you going to burn 2 picks on linemen who are not worth being picked in those two places?

We filled some needs with 2 quality players.

ExtonSteelFan
04-27-2008, 10:26 AM
The top rated/elite guys go early. Would you rather us REACH on someone that was not worth or under performed like a #1 choice and miss out on the steels of the draft.
If I remember correctly, Ben himself said that the sack problem was not all on the
OL. He said that he was responsible also. I believe that coaching as well as some good picks will take us a long way this year.

Great point. All of the o-linemen worth drafting at the no. 23 spot were already gone (IMO). I knew right away when Otah, Albert, and Cherilus were off the board that an o-lineman would not be the 1st pick. I think we got a steal with mendenhall and sweed.

Jeremy
04-27-2008, 10:28 AM
It's good that Ben understands that he needed to shoulder some of responsibility for the sack problem last season. That shows a maturity in him that I personally though was lacking last season.

Is the offensive line great? No, of course not. But if Ben is working on using the check downs and getting the ball out quicker, you will see the line make a nice improvement in their sack numbers.

19ward86
04-27-2008, 10:55 AM
really tired of hearing some of you guys complain about our lines, we need depth, not starters. If we drafted a guy like Kentwan Balmer, he would sit for 2 yrs behind Keisel.

Dino 6 Rings
04-27-2008, 11:50 AM
I'm happy with our draft, why pick up a lineman, who wouldn't be worth the 1st round pick, just to make fans happy? At 23, we picked the Best Player on the Board. And with our 2nd round pick, we basically replace Ced Wilson and put pressure on Nate to perform or start selling used cars.

I love our 1st three picks. Including today a DE/OLB to add DEPTH on defense. Our Defense is just fine, we are going to crack skulls and break spines next season and now with 2 more weapons on offense, plus the addition of Moore for our return game, teams will be punished for trying to keep us from our 6th Ring.

Jeremy
04-27-2008, 11:52 AM
I'm happy with our draft, why pick up a lineman, who wouldn't be worth the 1st round pick, just to make fans happy? At 23, we picked the Best Player on the Board. And with our 2nd round pick, we basically replace Ced Wilson and put pressure on Nate to perform or start selling used cars.

I love our 1st three picks. Including today a DE/OLB to add DEPTH on defense. Our Defense is just fine, we are going to crack skulls and break spines next season and now with 2 more weapons on offense, plus the addition of Moore for our return game, teams will be punished for trying to keep us from our 6th Ring.

The problem with DE/OLB guys is they usually never become really good at either position.

Dino 6 Rings
04-27-2008, 11:59 AM
The problem with DE/OLB guys is they usually never become really good at either position.

bet he can tackle on kick coverage

Jeremy
04-27-2008, 12:05 PM
bet he can tackle on kick coverage

But is it worth a 3rd round pick to get a ST maven when you have need at O line?

Dino 6 Rings
04-27-2008, 12:10 PM
But is it worth a 3rd round pick to get a ST maven when you have need at O line?

I guess the idea is, are you going to get an Oline guy in the 3rd round that is going to give you more impact or depth than the same pick in the later rounds? Does an olineman in Round 3 start on STs? Start on O? or is it just for depth? Depth can be picked up in the later rounds. An Olineman isn't making tackles on Punts. A DE from UCLA is. At least, I guess that's the thinking. Plus we add depth to our Linebackers so we get 2 things out of one pick.

Jeremy
04-27-2008, 12:12 PM
I guess the idea is, are you going to get an Oline guy in the 3rd round that is going to give you more impact or depth than the same pick in the later rounds? Does an olineman in Round 3 start on STs? Start on O? or is it just for depth? Depth can be picked up in the later rounds. An Olineman isn't making tackles on Punts. A DE from UCLA is. At least, I guess that's the thinking. Plus we add depth to our Linebackers so we get 2 things out of one pick.

The answer is no. There were guys on the board at that point who could have been possible starters on the line and they were passed over for a guy who will make a minimal impact on the team this year. Davis is a depth/ST guy and you just don't want that this early in the draft. You're still looking for guys who can play their rookie year and have an impact at this point unless you're loaded like New England.

RoethlisBURGHer
04-27-2008, 12:17 PM
I absolutley love our picks of Mendenhall and Sweed.

Personally I think Mendenhall will be a better back than McFadden, Stewart, and Jones. He was my top rated back and I didn't think he would have fallen all the way to #23 for us to select him.

I like Sweed because WR is a bit of a need position. After Ward and Holmes we have a very inconsistant Nate Washington and then we'd have Dallas Baker, last year's 7th round selection. He gives us that big wideout that Ben wanted and he can step in to the role of starter when Hines Ward hangs up the cleats.

I also like the fact that we DID NOT reach for offensive linemen at those spots. There were none that had any value whatsoever at those picks, so I am glad they went BPA. The BPA will almost always benefit your team more than a reach pick based on need.

ShutDown24
04-27-2008, 12:18 PM
Hmmm... Something I've been thinking. Why does everyone expect the line to play just as bad this year as last year? Sure, they didn't show anything to suggest otherwise last season, but think about this. Roethlisberger had a HORRIBLE year just a couple years ago in 2006 right? Then what does he do last year but come back and light it up? If Tomlin and the Steelers want to give this group another shot, call me crazy but I'm all for it. Hartwig at center and a fresh left guard could be all the changes we need there for everything to work out, who knows? There obviously hasn't been a linemen worth taking with our picks thus far so I can't complain at all.

Dino 6 Rings
04-27-2008, 12:19 PM
really, there are possible OL starters as rookies still on the Roster in the 3rd round? Really? Are there DLinemen on the board that will come in and make in impact right now? There is only Depth left at the line positions, not starters.

Davis will play his rookie year, on coverage teams starting day one. He has a chance of making big plays when we need them on kick or punt coverage. Olinemen don't come to the Steelers as Rookies and start. In our 3-4, we need some depth on the line, and eventually we'll get it.

Mosca
04-27-2008, 12:42 PM
Me 2 man, I am more then estatic about our picks today. I ran down the street cheering and screaming when we picked Mendenhall, and then did the same thing when we got Sweed. Everyone seems to keep on forgetting that the Steelers signed Justin Hartwig who is a beast at center, and that filled the only real glaring void in our line.

I agree. In fact, there's no reason at all to be down on any of these guys, unless being a down guy is just your nature. (There's no reason to be especially up, either, except it makes for a much better weekend, one full of rejoicing instead of complaining.)

This draft has a chance to be 1974. It depends on who else we get, and how they develop (remember Worley, after all), but these guys have a chance to remake the face of this team. Holmes, Sweed, and Roethlisberger have the potential to be Bradshaw, Swann, and Stallworth... but with Hines Ward instead of Theo Bell. (before you argue, remember the word "potential"). Mendenhall and Parker, we've NEVER had two backs at the same time with that much skill, speed, and power; it's going to be like having Bettis in his prime at the same time as Parker.

I'm not so sold on Bruce Davis 3rd round, but I don't know much about him. But I like the fact that he's an outside speed rush guy. One board had him projected high 2nd day, one had him low 2nd day. I'm guessing Tomlin and the rest of the staff had him projected "Steeler material".

The Pats last year, no one really ever had a chance to find out how good their defense was, until later in the year.... because the score was always 30-0 by mid 2nd quarter. No one ever found out how good their line was, because the ball was always in someone's hands by 3-battleship.

We're gonna be better than that. We're younger, and faster, and we're gonna be better, for longer.

Mosca
04-27-2008, 12:52 PM
The answer is no. There were guys on the board at that point who could have been possible starters on the line and they were passed over for a guy who will make a minimal impact on the team this year. Davis is a depth/ST guy and you just don't want that this early in the draft. You're still looking for guys who can play their rookie year and have an impact at this point unless you're loaded like New England.

You're guessing. At this point, I'd say it's a safer bet that NO ONE available is going to make an impact or be a possible starter, not without some serious, almost superhuman effort and dedication between now and September... and there's no way of knowing whether that is Bruce Davis, or some other, unknown guard or tackle. Not being pollyannaish about it, or wearing B&G glasses, but the guys in the front office have made this thing their life for the last 4 months, they put their profession on the line with these picks, so I have to assume that their 24/7 obsession with deciding on who gets the offer is more insightful than my 5 minutes a day spent looking at lists of names, weights, reps and 40 times. I love having my opinion, and I love it when I guess right... but in the end, even the pundits say this is all a bunch of gorgonzola, until the coin toss that starts the season.

But it sure is fun, isn't it?

Jeremy
04-27-2008, 12:55 PM
You're guessing. At this point, I'd say it's a safer bet that NO ONE available is going to make an impact or be a possible starter, not without some serious, almost superhuman effort and dedication between now and September... and there's no way of knowing whether that is Bruce Davis, or some other, unknown guard or tackle. Not being pollyannaish about it, or wearing B&G glasses, but the guys in the front office have made this thing their life for the last 4 months, they put their profession on the line with these picks, so I have to assume that their 24/7 obsession with deciding on who gets the offer is more insightful than my 5 minutes a day spent looking at lists of names, weights, reps and 40 times. I love having my opinion, and I love it when I guess right... but in the end, even the pundits say this is all a bunch of gorgonzola, until the coin toss that starts the season.

But it sure is fun, isn't it?

Willie Reid was a 3rd rounder. Zo Jackson was a 2nd rounder.

I don't care how much time you put in to this process, guys still make horrible picks.

Dino 6 Rings
04-27-2008, 12:58 PM

I don't care how much time you put in to this process, guys still make horrible picks.

Glass Half Full...guys still make great picks...

Jeremy
04-27-2008, 12:59 PM
Glass Half Full...guys still make great picks...

Go back to 2000 and look at the drafts. Or better yet, go look at 2003.

Then get back to me.

Mosca
04-27-2008, 01:04 PM

...there's no reason at all to be down on any of these guys, unless being a down guy is just your nature. (There's no reason to be especially up, either, except it makes for a much better weekend, one full of rejoicing instead of complaining.)

Sure, but they make their guesses based on a lot more information than we get.

Dino 6 Rings
04-27-2008, 01:09 PM
Go back to 2000 and look at the drafts. Or better yet, go look at 2003.

Then get back to me.

Yeah, ok, pick a couple drafts, find some busts late in the rounds and then tell me we should be drafting Linemen? Why? Is it better to draft Bust Linemen over Busts at other positions?

Just trying to figure out your point? Are you trying to say our guys don't know what they are doing and are messing up?

GBMelBlount
04-27-2008, 01:17 PM
I'm sorry... I wanted linemen as well with these picks... but are you going to burn 2 picks on linemen who are not worth being picked in those two places?

We filled some needs with 2 quality players.

I never said that. Here is my earlier post on this thread.

NCSteeler

I for one am gald we got great players at very reasonable picks. I am glad we didn't reach like the Texans for Duane Brown, just because we felt we needed depth....it was a good move for us to stand pat and pick up th egreat players the others passed up.[

GBMelBlount

I agree, considering what was available at each pick. I am still disappointed we weren't able address either line in the first two rounds. At this point I feel the lines need to be addressed in the next two rounds unless there is an absolutely ridiculous value at CB.

I was making the point because I have had concerns about our offensive line play the past two seasons. I don't think it was well addressed in off season or free agency last year and I fear that may be the case this year as well. My response was specifically to Jeremy calling people whiners who feel we need warriors in the trenches.

revefsreleets
04-27-2008, 05:06 PM
Alonzo Jackson had slightly better stats than Kameron Wimbley, and they went to the same school. KW played on a bad Browns defense and was a stud. It's hard to project DE/OLB prospects. I'm willing to give Davis a chance.

Offensive line? New OLC, new OC, new scheme, too much preseason shuffling. These guys are going to surprise a lot of people this year. How do I know this? Because the Steelers only selected one Olineman in this draft (so far). I defer to their wisdom, not random dudes on an internet message board.

Dino 6 Rings
04-28-2008, 12:55 PM

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08119/877225-66.stm

Porter, Haggans and Gildon...all DE's in College 4-3, turned into 3-4 OLBs...

quit being so negative man.

lilyoder6
04-28-2008, 01:32 PM
i beleive a jason taylor is a good de and olb when he plays... manny lawson.. woodly showed he could do it...