PDA

View Full Version : Who makes the team at running back?

OneForTheToe
04-26-2008, 11:18 PM
I guess I am jumping the gun a bit, but I don't expect we will draft another RB. Although, we could sign UDFA at FB or someone who can play special teams.

At the most we will keep four backs and a FB, I know BA doesn't like FBs, but Tomlin always says "football is situational." So fast Willie, Moore and Mendenhall are locks. That leaves Davis and maybe a UDFA to compete for a FB or FB/RB position. If Owen Schmidt is not drafted, I wouldn’t mind if the Steelers gave him a chance. As for the final rb spot, pending any UDFAs, it comes down to Dookie or Russell. I have to think it would be Russell based on age/potential and salary.

Thoughts?

ShutDown24
04-26-2008, 11:20 PM
I wouldn't be shocked at all if they only kept Mendenhall, Parker and Moore with Davis at FB.

fansince'76
04-26-2008, 11:21 PM
Dookie's locker is being cleaned out as we speak....

tony hipchest
04-26-2008, 11:30 PM
this is easy. we will have the deepest, most talented backfield in the league. c. davis was always solid on ST and maybe we can trade dookie for the 7th round pick we gave up for rossum.

willie, moore, mendenhall, russell, davis.

we might even be able to go with 3rb's on the roster opening up a spot for somebody else.

Black@Gold Forever32
04-26-2008, 11:35 PM
I can't see Russell making the team now.......So Parker, Mendenhall, and Moore....With Davis serving as the FB unless the team brings and undrafted FA to challenge Davis....

OneForTheToe
04-26-2008, 11:36 PM
I wouldn't be shocked at all if they only kept Mendenhall, Parker and Moore with Davis at FB.

I could see that as well, but Russell showed me some potential last year. We could put somebody on the P.S. I don't remember how many games Russell was active last year so I am not sure if he is eligable for the P.S. I'm not that sold on Davis - although he did ok on special teams.

billybob
04-26-2008, 11:44 PM
i like the way you think,but to give up on a fresh Port,is somewhat questionable.he does a lot of things you all don't realize.true we will see what he really brings now.i trust the port. we will see the competition in camp!

Mistah_Q
04-27-2008, 01:24 AM
ONeForTheToe, I pretty much agree with you spot on.

1) Parker
2) Mendenhall
3) Moore
4) Russell
5) FB (probably Davis)

There really isn't any reason to keep Davenport now that Willie has both a proper compliment (Mendenhall) and proper backup (Moore). Russell has shown a whole lot of potential and will at least get his looks in the preseason. . and makes for a better "backup for Mendenhall" than does Davenport. FB is probably going to be Davis, but we'll see, it's not totally impossible they draft one late, bring in an UDFA, trade, sign a June 1 cut. . or the off chance Kreider comes back. But it's looking like Davis.

I'm not ready to put a role order together for the WRs but as far as who they keep/end up with on the roster, right now I want to say
Holmes, Ward, Sweed, Washington, Baker, Reid.

Rhee Rhee
04-27-2008, 01:44 AM
this is easy. we will have the deepest, most talented backfield in the league. c. davis was always solid on ST and maybe we can trade dookie for the 7th round pick we gave up for rossum.

willie, moore, mendenhall, russell, davis.

we might even be able to go with 3rb's on the roster opening up a spot for somebody else.

i like the sound of adding another seventh!

and i think our backfield is one of the best if not the best in the league... i'd say it's at the very least top 3... right up there with Jax and Minn...

Hypocycloid
04-27-2008, 01:47 AM
I don't think there is a lot of trade potential for Davenport. Shaun Alexander is still out there, the Raiders have to cut somebody (maybe not...never know with those morons), and a ton of decent running backs left. Maybe a 7th round pick. Someone today wrote or said on air that there is nothing wrong with Davenport (legal issues aside) but he is not anything special. Russel has some upside I think and if it comes down to the two, I think it is Russel who some of the players and coaching staff talk about how surprisingly powerful he is.

Mistah_Q
04-27-2008, 02:01 AM
I don't think there is a lot of trade potential for Davenport. Shaun Alexander is still out there, the Raiders have to cut somebody (maybe not...never know with those morons), and a ton of decent running backs left. Maybe a 7th round pick. Someone today wrote or said on air that there is nothing wrong with Davenport (legal issues aside) but he is not anything special. Russel has some upside I think and if it comes down to the two, I think it is Russel who some of the players and coaching staff talk about how surprisingly powerful he is.Don't forget before Russell's "fall from grace" he was projected to be one of the elite backs in 2006 and a very high 2007 draft pick. All that time off he showed up at the combine out of shape, but then he realized it was his last chance, took it seriously, and last preseason really looked the part. . .

Hypocycloid
04-27-2008, 02:16 AM
Don't forget before Russell's "fall from grace" he was projected to be one of the elite backs in 2006 and a very high 2007 draft pick. All that time off he showed up at the combine out of shape, but then he realized it was his last chance, took it seriously, and last preseason really looked the part. . .

I definately haven't forgotten that, that is why I am high on him.

Galax Steeler
04-27-2008, 03:29 AM
I still think russell has a chance to make it but like someone else stated davis might end up being on the roster.

Aussie_steeler
04-27-2008, 04:06 AM
Parker, Mendenhall, Russell & Moore plus a fullback (look for uDFA competition to come in for Davis)

If RUssell comes on and plays to his ability that would mean 3 first round talent RB's on the roster and realistically only one has cost a draft pick. I could see one of those three potentially being great trade value at the end of the 2008 season. (I am only thinking this way because it is draft day and i am still in that mode. I am not lobbying to have somebody traded. It just becomes another option)

Elvis
04-27-2008, 06:12 AM
Willie Parker
Rashard Mendenhall
Gary Russell

Our 3rd down back and return man maybe
Melwede Moore

FB
Davis
But I truly hope that the Steelers find someone to take
his place. And I think that the Steelers should give Dan Kreider
that chance. He is hands down the better FB for our team and running game.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
04-27-2008, 08:23 AM
I say that we carry five with Dookie beiong the odd man out. I'm hoping tat Moore can be a majority return guy this season.

millwalldavey
04-27-2008, 09:44 AM
Any word on Kreiders situation? I want him to stay!

19ward86
04-27-2008, 09:57 AM
Willie, Rashard, Mewelde, Gary, Carey

NV STEELERS 723
04-27-2008, 11:21 AM
Cut Davenport.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-27-2008, 11:24 AM
Parker
Mendenhall
Moore
Russell
*Rookie FB/H-back

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
04-27-2008, 11:46 AM
I see davenport on his way out........and I think tat russel and Davis beat out Moore...
Depends on if Davis is a HB or FB, and what they plan to do with Kreider

Mosca
04-27-2008, 11:55 AM

+1...

RoethlisBURGHer
04-27-2008, 02:00 PM
Dookie won't be with the team come training camp.

Parker/Mendenhall/Moore/Russell

Haiku_Dirtt
04-27-2008, 03:11 PM
I could see that as well, but Russell showed me some potential last year. We could put somebody on the P.S. I don't remember how many games Russell was active last year so I am not sure if he is eligable for the P.S. I'm not that sold on Davis - although he did ok on special teams.

Like Russell too. Maybe we should cryopreserve Parker for the season and let the youngsters absorb all the shock. :injured: