PDA

View Full Version : 10 points about the first day of the draft.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-27-2008, 08:29 AM
1) Kansas City wasnt kidding when they said that they would be contenders in this draft...best drafting team so far. Hats off..:hatsoff:

2) How is it that Jacksonville at #18 trades up to Baltimore's #8 ....and BOTH teams reach with the picks??? Derrick Harvey at #8??? Joe Flacco at #18????:doh:

3) The Patriots* took LB Jerod Mayo with the #10 pick...and CB Terence Wheatley with the #62 pick. Hmmmmm....let me see...I'm no genious but If I was the coach of the secondary-depleted Pats...I would have taken the best CB in this draft at #10 and at #62 I would have "held the Mayo" and grabbed Dan Connor, who I think is going to be a pro-bowl LBer...but I guess we cant all be experts like Belicheat.:wink02:

4) ...which brings me to #4....My favorite part of the draft had to be when the fans of 31 teams booed the commisioners approach of New Englands picks.:sofunny:

5) If the secret of the draft is to get maximum value at positions of need.....The Steelers ROCKED yesterday....I am so looking forward to the rest of the draft!!:tt:

6) Too many teams reached yesterday...with some losing draft picks in the process

7) Miami is quietly having an impressive draft.

8)"Boomer" was stumbling..bumbling... all day, trying to ad lib a dialogue

9) Hats off to Steve young for telling the world that If Chad Johnson wasnt happy with his contract..he shouldnt have signed it.

10) Bigger and Better things are to come for the Steeler nation!!

rbryan
04-27-2008, 08:42 AM
Boomer can only go about an hour w/o slurring words, pretty much like anyone who drinks as much as he does....lol

millwalldavey
04-27-2008, 09:29 AM
Kansas City and Atlanta have impressed me with their aggression so far!

SteelerFanInATL
04-27-2008, 09:33 AM
"Boomer" was stumbling..bumbling... all day, trying to ad lib a dialogue]

Yes I agree. I thought it was just me.

19ward86
04-27-2008, 10:04 AM
Kansas City is doing a great job.

Jeremy
04-27-2008, 10:05 AM
I wouldn't call Flacco a reach. I think if he had played at a bigger school, he might have been a bigger name coming in.

Dino 6 Rings
04-27-2008, 11:30 AM
I find it interesting that the Steelers have yet to trade or move on the draft board at all. Looks like our coaches and scouts have guys they want, and back up plans for every possible pick and aren't making any moves at all. That's very interesting, especially when you look at the draft, round for round and see all the movement there has been.

Dino 6 Rings
04-27-2008, 12:03 PM
and there we are, as soon as I mention lack of movement...we moved...

revefsreleets
04-27-2008, 03:58 PM
Connor went where he should. He's a 4-3 LB and the Pats play a 3-4.

WizDom-N.KnowLedge
04-27-2008, 09:54 PM
actually Jax traded up from 26 not 18 but in the end they identified a need and did everything they could to address it. Harvey does possess tremendous talent. and in JAx (even though he was taken top 10) he won't have the pressure of having to carry the defense on his shoulders. He will start off as a situational pass-rusher and with the defense Jax has in place he may actually excell. Henderson commands double teams, Hayward when healthy is a high motor guy who can still get after the QB and the secondary should be pretty solid with Mathis, Florence and William at CB and Nelson and sensabaugh at S. Harvey coupled with Groves will help their pass rush tremendously.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-27-2008, 11:02 PM
I wouldn't call Flacco a reach. I think if he had played at a bigger school, he might have been a bigger name coming in.

Flacco was at Pitt and transferred to Delaware, so you could say he was at a bigger school until transferring.

The big flag on him is Leadership. He wasnt even a captain at Delaware and you would expect a first round drafted QB playing at a small school to be the BMOC.....I think he has the rocket arm, but might not have the makeup to be a team leader and a clutch performer

Happy he is a Raven, just like the Bungles reaching for a WR and leaving Sweed for us.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-28-2008, 05:30 AM
Connor went where he should. He's a 4-3 LB and the Pats play a 3-4.

He moved to the middle this last year....PFW states that he can play both 3-4 and 4-3..since he is stout against the run but can still drop back into coverage.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-28-2008, 05:34 AM
actually Jax traded up from 26 not 18 but in the end they identified a need and did everything they could to address it. Harvey does possess tremendous talent. and in JAx (even though he was taken top 10) he won't have the pressure of having to carry the defense on his shoulders. He will start off as a situational pass-rusher and with the defense Jax has in place he may actually excell. Henderson commands double teams, Hayward when healthy is a high motor guy who can still get after the QB and the secondary should be pretty solid with Mathis, Florence and William at CB and Nelson and sensabaugh at S. Harvey coupled with Groves will help their pass rush tremendously.

Actually it was a three way trade between Jacksonville, Baltimore and Houston....

revefsreleets
04-28-2008, 09:33 AM
He moved to the middle this last year....PFW states that he can play both 3-4 and 4-3..since he is stout against the run but can still drop back into coverage.

Pass coverage is certainly not a Dan Connor strength. It's tough to call out a PSU player on a Steeler board, so I expected this...

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-28-2008, 10:12 AM
Pass coverage is certainly not a Dan Connor strength. It's tough to call out a PSU player on a Steeler board, so I expected this...

Well...actually I'm from Illinois and am not a Penn State follower.... He does have somewhat stiff hips but his 4.67 speed has allowed him to defend 16 passes and snatch 4 interceptions as a two year starter.

Your right about it not being his strength ...but when you have 419 carreer tackles, 34 tackles for loss, and 14 sacks ....Pass defense probably does come as second to your run defense.