PDA

View Full Version : The Draft says it all!

moedap
04-27-2008, 03:29 PM
The line play was not that bad in the eyes of the coaches. The sacks had a lot to do with WR's not getting open and Big Ben not reading quick enough.

The Duke
04-27-2008, 03:37 PM
could be. or they are giving the current linemen time to develop more, like a 2nd chance, which could also kill our franchise QB.....

millwalldavey
04-27-2008, 03:42 PM
If it kills our franchise QB, at least we drafted Dixon!

SteelerFanInATL
04-27-2008, 03:45 PM
could be. or they are giving the current linemen time to develop more, like a 2nd chance, which could also kill our franchise QB.....

I'm sure they will learn from there mistakes from last year.

The Duke
04-27-2008, 03:49 PM
I'm sure they will learn from there mistakes from last year.

all we can do is hope they do

as long as they don't learn when they see ben in a hospital bed :banging:

19ward86
04-27-2008, 03:54 PM
Some of you guys are forgetting that Starks could easily start at LG this year and well just see:

LT-Marvel Smith
LG-Max Starks
C-Justin Hartwig
RG-Kendall Simmons
RT-Willie Colon

I truly dont see a problem with that setup.

The Duke
04-27-2008, 03:59 PM
Some of you guys are forgetting that Starks could easily start at LG this year and well just see:

LT-Marvel Smith
LG-Max Starks
C-Justin Hartwig
RG-Kendall Simmons
RT-Willie Colon

starks?? I have never seen the coaches mentioning him at guard. willie colon yes, but starks?

kemo will be fine at LG

Davison_K
04-27-2008, 04:01 PM
Colon would be a better move to guard than Starks in my opinion. I would move Smith to RT and Starks to LT. I liked him better there last year than I ever liked him at RT.

19ward86
04-27-2008, 04:04 PM
Starks isnt nearly as athletic as Colon, i liked when Starks played RT but i think he would be a better LG.

pittpete
04-27-2008, 04:07 PM
Starks playing guard, I think not
Need some athleticism and quick feet to be able to pull.
Starks could/would never be a G in the NFL

RJC
04-27-2008, 04:10 PM
There's absolutely no chance what so ever that Starks is playing OG. Zero, zilch, nada, wasted breath...

rbryan
04-27-2008, 04:11 PM
Being forced to watch ESPN and NFL network all weekend reminded me how much I can't stand the majority of the idiots they parade in front of the camera.

What ever happened to covering the draft as opposed to spending the majority of the time listening to a bunch of morons debate yesterdays picks. I don't mind the debating so much, but is it too much to ask these clowns to keep up with the current selections??

Maybe I missed it, but I'm pretty sure both channels didn't bother telling us about the trade with the Giants and what we got in return for moving back. I had to come here to find that out.

Steeldude
04-27-2008, 04:46 PM

LT-Marvel Smith
LG-Max Starks
C-Justin Hartwig
RG-Kendall Simmons
RT-Willie Colon

another year of simmons and colon both on the right is not a good thing.

Steeldude
04-27-2008, 04:48 PM
The line play was not that bad in the eyes of the coaches. The sacks had a lot to do with WR's not getting open and Big Ben not reading quick enough.

yeah, bad in the eyes of the coaches. that doesn't means it's not a bad O-line. the coaches were content with kordell for 5 + years.

the WRs were open. BR holds the ball too long because he can't read the field quick enough. couple that with the backfield being flooded with defenders in roughly 2 seconds or less makes the problem worse.

tony hipchest
04-27-2008, 04:57 PM
Starks isnt nearly as athletic as Colon, i liked when Starks played RT but i think he would be a better LG.with that being said we can just about guarantee he will NEVER be a LG.

BettisFan
04-27-2008, 05:11 PM
I am looking foward to a great year!

rbryan
04-27-2008, 05:37 PM
Hopefully Simmons was reading the bottom line all weekend, the one that kept reminding us that he was the last 1st rd OL taken by the Steelers.

I have all the faith in the world that Marvel Smith will make a miraculous recovery just in time for his contract year. I'm not sure Tony Hills is the answer next year when Smith is as good as gone though. FA LT's aren't cheap so that leaves a big ? beyond this year.

Starks is the wild card, can he retake RT where he belongs? I hate to see him bounced back and forth between RT & LT but he'll probably have to. Colon to RG, Kemo or Mahan LG, Hartwig Center.

Jeremy
04-27-2008, 05:44 PM
Hopefully Simmons was reading the bottom line all weekend, the one that kept reminding us that he was the last 1st rd OL taken by the Steelers.

I have all the faith in the world that Marvel Smith will make a miraculous recovery just in time for his contract year. I'm not sure Tony Hills is the answer next year when Smith is as good as gone though. FA LT's aren't cheap so that leaves a big ? beyond this year.

Starks is the wild card, can he retake RT where he belongs? I hate to see him bounced back and forth between RT & LT but he'll probably have to. Colon to RG, Kemo or Mahan LG, Hartwig Center.

Hills isn't the answer next season. He and Bruce Davis are both projects that could pay dividends in 2009 or 2010.

Dino 6 Rings
04-27-2008, 05:44 PM
The Draft tells me that our coaching staff felt we needed some more play makers on O, like Mendenhall and Sweed, so we can score more points. In our losses, we had to play from behind because we didn't score enough points fast enough. Now, we will score more, our defense will still be dominating and now, we shall tackle on kick coverage.

Hines0wnz
04-27-2008, 06:49 PM
Good points.....hopefully Sweed doesnt turn out to be a bust like the last couple of WRs drafted (excluding Holmes) but at the same time, there should be effort to keep him so he doesnt leave like Plexico did. As for Mendenhall....I dont know. Kind of a wildcard pick in my opinion.

stillers4me
04-27-2008, 07:01 PM
The Draft tells me that our coaching staff felt we needed some more play makers on O, like Mendenhall and Sweed, so we can score more points. In our losses, we had to play from behind because we didn't score enough points fast enough. Now, we will score more, our defense will still be dominating and now, we shall tackle on kick coverage.

All good points.

And we all know Ben's a fast healer.

Steelerfreak58
04-27-2008, 07:06 PM
Interesting draft for the team this year. I have to agree that the coaches must truly believe they already have the talent they need on the O-Line to get the protection Ben needs. Dixon was the only pick that left me scratching my head a bit but he is definitely a talented athlete with potential at many spots.

Edman
04-27-2008, 07:39 PM
I don't know what some of you are smoking, or what games you watched last year.

In all seriousness, what would drafting a o-lineman do? He would simply rot on the bench for a year.

Alan Faneca was addition by subtraction. He was getting old, and he was just as much a turnstyle as Simmons and Mahan.

Atlanta Dan
04-27-2008, 08:18 PM
In all seriousness, what would drafting a o-lineman do? He would simply rot on the bench for a year.

Behind that Murderer's Row of Smith, Colon, Hartwig, Simmons & Starks that is the 80s Redskins Hogs reincarnated?

Assuming that line plays well (quite an assumption), the Steelers will not be able to afford Starks and Marvel for 2009 and beyond. Having a 2008 4th round pick with a history of major injuries as Plan B is not comforting.

Michael Keller
04-27-2008, 08:41 PM
Being forced to watch ESPN and NFL network all weekend reminded me how much I can't stand the majority of the idiots they parade in front of the camera.

What ever happened to covering the draft as opposed to spending the majority of the time listening to a bunch of morons debate yesterdays picks. I don't mind the debating so much, but is it too much to ask these clowns to keep up with the current selections??

Maybe I missed it, but I'm pretty sure both channels didn't bother telling us about the trade with the Giants and what we got in return for moving back. I had to come here to find that out.

Unbelievably bad and boring coverage. There are too many voices and far too many egos. What is wrong with NFL Net Work and ESPN. I have seen enough of Jerry Jones to last a life time. I am glad I love football because if I only liked it I would not watch any of this STUFF.