PDA

View Full Version : Draft Grades

Jeremy
04-27-2008, 05:28 PM
Give this draft your grade.

I'll give them a B. I love Mendenhall and Sweed and really like Hills, Dixon, and Mundy. Humpal and Davis could improve the ST and add depth behind our very talented OLBs.

I think 6 of the 7 picks makes the opening day roster.

The Duke
04-27-2008, 05:39 PM
B +

yeah, hopefully 6 of 7 make the roster, and the odd man out makes the PS

just hope Ryan Mundy replaces tyrone carter

millwalldavey
04-27-2008, 05:42 PM
I'm gonna say B.

The first two were outstanding. The second 2, not bad, the 5th AWFUL!, 6 OK, 7 good.

I say the only one who does not stick, or at least is on some sort of IR or practice squad is Dixon.

Sharkissle29
04-27-2008, 05:58 PM
are we forgetting dixon was on the road to a heisman trophy before he got hurt?

The Duke
04-27-2008, 06:05 PM

troy smith was heisman. chris weinke was heisman. it means nothing

I like he pick as a slash type player though

tony hipchest
04-27-2008, 06:05 PM
if you asked me before the draft what it would take to land possibly the best (or atleast top 2) wr and rb in the draft, i woulda said trading away our 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th round picks and possibly one from next year.

everything beyond #1, and #2 is just gravy.

hines ward is gonna open up some nice cap room in the not too distant future.

B+

TackleMeBen
04-27-2008, 06:07 PM
the heisman dont mean nothing when you make it to the NFL.

Jeremy

Dixon will be the third strong quarterback when the season opens.

revefsreleets
I'm gonna say B.

The first two were outstanding. The second 2, not bad, the 5th AWFUL!, 6 OK, 7 good.

I say the only one who does not stick, or at least is on some sort of IR or practice squad is Dixon.

Dixon was not a wasted pick.

TheManOfSteel
04-27-2008, 06:09 PM
I got to say just for talent in the draft and B+. For what we needed a B

TheManOfSteel
04-27-2008, 06:10 PM
I didnt see who we took with a 7th pick! I didnt think we had a 7th round pick. Dixon was a great pick!

RJC
04-27-2008, 06:11 PM
This draft as an "A" round 1-3, then it became an "F" 4-6. Dixon is the dumbest pick we've made in the last 5 years. A scatter armed, inaccurate, injured QB to a team that had no need what so ever for a QB. Brilliant!

Atlanta Dan
04-27-2008, 06:12 PM

No, but he was on that road as a QB - the Steelers already have mortgaged their future for someone else at that position

And if you want yet another reason to scratch your head about this pick, file away that Dixon was drafted as #5 pick by the Atlanta Braves in 2007 and blew off working out at Oregon in the off season to take a stab at baseball

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=2927602

Here is what the New York Times football blog said about Dixon several weeks ago

Dixon currently pronounces himself at about 80 percent healed from that 2007 knee injury, and he says he expects to play in 2008. I think it’s more likely that the team that drafts Dixon will put him on injured reserve. N.F.L. rules bar players on injured reserve from practicing, but they can work out at team headquarters and sit in on film study, team meetings and other activities. That would give Dixon the chance to learn the professional game at a less frenzied pace than most rookies, and ensure that he’s completely healed before he ever steps on the field.

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/04/11/dennis-dixon-tells-general-managers-to-check-his-web-site/

Great - a reach at the #5 pick who is slated for IR in 2008

My grade - B+ on Saturday, D on Sunday (The only pick on Sunday I like was picking an OL at #4) = two LBs and Dixon wrecked the second day.

B- overall

BettisFan
04-27-2008, 06:21 PM
A-

I like all the picks just let the team do what they do, They wouldnt be put in the position to draft people if they werent qualified.

Texasteel
04-27-2008, 06:25 PM
I'm going with a B. I thought that all the picks made sence IF the injured players have or will have made a complete recovery, and if McBean can make a contribution next year. I would have rather had Lynch that Dixon, but will hold my judgment on that piont for a while.

Dino 6 Rings
04-27-2008, 06:28 PM
So is Dixon our replacement for Randel El? A guy that can throw as well as catch. I'm sure he's not playing starting QB anytime soon...

Jeremy
04-27-2008, 06:32 PM
So is Dixon our replacement for Randel El? A guy that can throw as well as catch. I'm sure he's not playing starting QB anytime soon...

No....he won't start.

But Batch is probably in his last year, St Pierre was never good to begin with, and Zabransky couldn't hold a job in Houston.

Dixon is a solid option as the third quarterback.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
04-27-2008, 06:32 PM
This draft as an "A" round 1-3, then it became an "F" 4-6. Dixon is the dumbest pick we've made in the last 5 years. A scatter armed, inaccurate, injured QB to a team that had no need what so ever for a QB. Brilliant!

He will not be "used" as a quarterback.....He is more talented than Kordell Stewart was before he wanted to be a full time QB

TackleMeBen
04-27-2008, 06:33 PM
maybe batch can teach dixon how to hold a clipboard and wear an ear piece.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
04-27-2008, 06:36 PM
I'll give us a B. I still can't believe that we took Davis over Dre Moore.

millwalldavey
04-27-2008, 06:43 PM
Dixon is just not anything in any way shape or form we needed.

Not knocking his athletic ability as shown by his performance, but he is not needed and I do not think he has the tools to play QB. He could learn to play WR... the key here is LEARN! He has no collegiate experience at the position and will hae to learn route running.

Great athlete... just not what we needed at that spot.

Edman
04-27-2008, 06:43 PM
Mendenhall- B+
Sweed- A
Davis- C Too small to play DE, Too dumb to play OLB. Another ZoJax project.
Hills- C
Dixon- D Another QB project.
Humpel- D A camp body.
Mundy- D

Another typical Colbert draft. hits it big early, but fizzles once the second day rolls around. I pretty much guarantee that picks 3-6b won't be on the roster by September.

Jeremy
04-27-2008, 06:45 PM
Mendenhall- B+
Sweed- A
Hills- C
Humpel- D A camp body.
Mundy- D

Another typical Colbert draft. hits it big early, but fizzles once the second day rolls around. I pretty much guarantee that picks 3-6b won't be on the roster by September.

That's pretty harsh. I think all but Humpel make the roster and Humpel is a PS kind of guy.

lilyoder6
04-27-2008, 07:05 PM
the pick was fine i only saw the 1st 3 picks... but i was very very upset we took davis.. when players like justin king (cb) what we needed and dre moore (dt) who is better than davis... we will try to make dixon the next randle el and that won't hurt.. but i can't grade as idk who we drafted

VTsteel
04-27-2008, 07:10 PM
c+

1 and 2 were very good

the rest . . . not thrilled about

BlastFurnace
04-27-2008, 07:13 PM
I am extremely happy with the first 3 picks. The rest of the draft unfortunately has become very typical of the Colbert era.

The 4th round pick is injured and has been shown to be injury prone during his college career. We need help on the O-line...not a project for 2010 that may or may not pan out.

The 5th round pick was a complete waste of a pick. This kid will never be an NFL caliber QB. I don't care if we develop the next Slash at this point. The Steelers have some serious depth issues at key positions....and QB is not one of them. They had no business taking Dixon at this point because not only does he not address a place of need...he is injured....and we have been here before with this type of QB. He will be either a WR or nothing else...and there is no proof he can play the position.

The rest of the draft probably won't make much more than Special Teams fodder, but considering the success of the Colbert era on the 2nd day of the draft, I will be very surprised if they even make the roster.

Bill....Cowher that is...if you do come back, please do what has been rumored and take Colbert with you. I'll even buy his plane ticket.

Jeremy
04-27-2008, 07:13 PM
I'm going to go with LLT, who knows a few things about football, when I say that I thought the Davis pick was a bad pick.

Anyone can rip me for that, but we'll see who's right this fall.

Jeremy
04-27-2008, 07:14 PM
I am extremely happy with the first 3 picks. The rest of the draft unfortunately has become very typical of the Colbert era.

The 4th round pick is injured and has been shown to be injury prone during his college career. We need help on the O-line...not a project for 2010 that may or may not pan out.

The 5th round pick was a complete waste of a pick. This kid will never be an NFL caliber QB. I don't care if we develop the next Slash at this point. The Steelers have some serious depth issues at key positions....and QB is not one of them. They had no business taking Dixon at this point because not only does he not address a place of need...he is injured....and we have been here before with this type of QB. He will be either a WR or nothing else...and there is no proof he can play the position.

The rest of the draft probably won't make much more than Special Teams fodder, but considering the success of the Colbert era on the 2nd day of the draft, I will be very surprised if they even make the roster.

What about Davis makes you "extremely happy?"

Preacher
04-27-2008, 07:16 PM
Jeremy-- :hatsoff:

Over the last two days... you have really tamed it down!

:cap:

BlastFurnace
04-27-2008, 07:17 PM

I have said this before and I will say it again...Kevin Colbert and the entire scouting department of the Pittsburgh Steelers should be fired.

Jeremy
04-27-2008, 07:18 PM
Jeremy-- :hatsoff:

Over the last two days... you have really tamed it down!

:cap:

Oh trust me....I typed a lot of things that I never posted. :wink02:

RJC
04-27-2008, 07:18 PM

This is what makes me happy, "Davis could go anywhere from the first to the third round". Damn, I hate being so freakin' right, then having to school the riders on the short bus....
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/arash_markazi/03/03/bruce.davis/index.html

BlastFurnace
04-27-2008, 07:19 PM

From what I have read, the kid has a great 1st step which is what is needed for the position where the primary pass rush comes from if the Steelers stick with the 3-4. I don't know if Harrison is a long term answer at ROLB...and because of his age, unfortunately, the Steelers needed to find someone who could eventually take his place.

I am shocked that the Steelers did not address the DL position though. The thought of Eason taking up any more space on the roster is ridiculous.

Preacher
04-27-2008, 07:20 PM

:chuckle:

HometownGal
04-27-2008, 07:29 PM

We have something in common. :drink: :chuckle: If I had a dollar for every post I've written but didn't submit, I'd be a millionaire.

Overall, I give this draft a B+. The Steelers addressed a couple of pressing needs in the later rounds and got two very nice gifts in the first 2 rounds. :thumbsup::tt02:

Atlanta Dan
04-27-2008, 07:30 PM
This is what makes me happy, "Davis could go anywhere from the first to the third round". Damn, I hate being so freakin' right, then having to school the riders on the short bus....
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/arash_markazi/03/03/bruce.davis/index.html

As Jeremy posted earlier, i do not think most posters are saying Davis is a stiff.

But to paraphrase Preacher from yesterday, if you have a decent car but the roof is leaking and the furnace is shot do you buy another car because it is on sale or take care of what needs to be fixed first?

Neil-Still-Rules-14
04-27-2008, 07:40 PM
Who says Dixon has to play QB? On the scouting report I read, they said he's a better athlete than QB, and I'm all in favor of picking the best player available. He could turn out to be that tall receiver Ben's been asking for (along with Sweed).

RJC
04-27-2008, 07:41 PM
As Jeremy posted earlier, i do not think most posters are saying Davis is a stiff.

But to paraphrase Preacher from yesterday, if you have a decent car but the roof is leaking and the furnace is shot do you buy another car because it is on sale or take care of what needs to be fixed first?

This is like saying "Hey if if gas is $3.75 a gallon, why buy fireworks on the 4th of July, when toothpaste comes in mint falvor, and your girlfriend just dyed her hair blond". Make no sense right? Get the point? It's a BPA situation....

Dino 6 Rings
04-27-2008, 07:43 PM
what kills me, is the complete lack of reality.

32 Teams, drafting players for 7 rounds. The chances of us getting a DL stud, at 23 was impossible. The chances of getting an OL Stud at 23 was impossible. So we picked up needs and addressed other areas as we could with what was available. Drafting an OG from Syracuse or a DL from Kent State wasn't going to "solve our problems" We did what we needed to do from the coaches point of view, fixed some holes on offense, got some needed depth at RB, got a young guy to learn the system at OLB, got a potential future Tackle if he can get healthy and picked up a probable number 3 QB with the potential of being the next Randel El.

I give this draft a B, with the opportunity to change my opinion after these guys show us their skills.

Atlanta Dan
04-27-2008, 07:44 PM
This is like saying "Hey if if gas is $3.75 a gallon, why buy fireworks on the 4th of July, when toothpaste comes in mint falvor, and your girlfriend just dyed her hair blond". Make no sense right? Get the point? It's a BPA situation....

Your logic is surpassed only by your writing ability and courtesy to other posters

Dino 6 Rings
04-27-2008, 07:45 PM
Now, in order to have an "A+" draft we'd have to suck the prior year. Or for years, kind of like KC, Miami, or the Rams...thanks but I'll take winning season after winning season over sucking eggs for years.

yinzer-inseattle
04-27-2008, 07:48 PM
This draft rates a B to B+ just like all the rest of them (under Colbert).

Chris Landry on ESPN made one of the best observations about the off season. I'll paraphrase.... teams who are busy in the FA market are so beacuse they make bad decisions in the draft. Likewise..the Steelers are never busy in the FA market because they do a sound job of drafting. Even after this week I believe this to be true. A few slight reaches here and there but nothing that will ever get us into trouble.

We were fortunate this year to keep a playoff team mostly in tact. With this weeks additions we are definitely better and more importantly a step ahead of the rest of the AFCN.

St33lersguy
04-27-2008, 08:07 PM

If Dixon shows flashes of greatness like he did in college during training camp and Batch has the look of a 50+ year-old who belongs in retirement Dixon problably would take over the #2 spot. or if his ACL is fully healed and he plays at least at the level of last year and performs too well to stay at #3.

ChronoCross
04-27-2008, 08:07 PM
I give it a A-. I really like the way we went when even players we wanted were not there we took great players. Well saying great players will not be known for a few years to see how they groom out and perform and who makes the team. We always have to remember if you get 4 good players out of a draft you did great. We hit every point needed for this team.

Preacher
04-27-2008, 08:08 PM

Let me educate you on the logic.

Sure, it is exciting to bring home a brand new shiny SUV. . . but why spend the money there when you have a 2 year old hummer sitting sitting in the driveway and the furnace needs to be fixed in the home.

You spend the money to fix the furnace... not to buy a second SUV.

We have willie. (2 year old hummer) We have brought in other RB's that can share the load (Mwelde Moore). So why get Mendenghall ( brand new SUV) when it would have been smarter to put our third with our first, trade up, and get a OL (furnace) like Otah?

Preacher
04-27-2008, 08:10 PM
If Dixon shows flashes of greatness like he did in college during training camp and Batch has the look of a 50+ year-old who belongs in retirement Dixon problably would take over the #2 spot. or if his ACL is fully healed and he plays at least at the level of last year and performs too well to stay at #3.

No, I think he stays three this year, just because he is a rookie, and they want him to have the knee fully healed.

I see him moving up next year if he shows that he can really play at this level.

Preacher
04-27-2008, 08:13 PM
According to what I wanted... C-

According to how the board fell to them... C+

Now... here is the real issue... According to the overall career impact-- Quite a bit higher.. First day--A Little confused by round 3... unless it is for ST. Then, C+ TO B.

So over the careers.. this draft could be a solid B.. maybe more.

Atlanta Dan
04-27-2008, 08:24 PM
Personally I think Carolina mortgaged the farm to get Otah, I'm glad the Steelers didn't make that move.

IMO the Carolina staff (HC and front office) knows it is playing for its jobs next season with a certain currently unemployed coach cross-state in Raleigh- nothing wrong with maxing out the credit cards if the alternative is being evicted.

Steelervinny
04-27-2008, 08:26 PM
I feel that we strongly needed lineman. At first I was dissapointed with our first picks, but how could you not take such great players if they were available... You almost have to. I really like Limas sweed, and I think that was great. But when we picked a QB, I was pretty much scratching my head. What do we need with another QB? And linebackers? we have to address our loss of faneca. And the sacks that are gonna end up killing big ben. I thought we did nothing much to protect our 100 million dollar asset, but we did give him great opportunities to shine. If he can survive the pass rush.

Overall: B-

TackleMeBen
04-27-2008, 09:28 PM
Personally I think Carolina mortgaged the farm to get Otah, I'm glad the Steelers didn't make that move.

carolina didnt have a choice. i did think that they might take a decent qb though

Steeldude
04-27-2008, 09:54 PM
i would have rather picked balmer with the first pick(at least it fills a pressing need) and then pollak with the second. then the steelers could have tried trading up to get connor from penn st.

trading up in the first round or trading down would have been better options, IMO.

mendenhall i am sure is a fine RB, but he doesn't fill a need. are the steelers going to play him anytime soon? i doubt it. i give it a C.

sweed is fine. doesn't fill a pressing need, but he is fine. i give it a B.

hills is fragile as they come. a near career ending injury followed by a broken fibula in 2007. he also had an elbow injury in 2005. i give it a D

dixon i give a C if they use him as a WR only. i give it an F if they use him as a QB. i believe he is coming off a knee injury, not certain.

this is what one draft report says about bruce davis, "A liability versus the run. One trick pony with a meager pass rush repertoire...He racked up a lot of his numbers against weak opponents". sounds like another gildon/porter. which probably excites most young steelers' fans, but i would rather have a true LB. one who can stop the run. i give it a D+

humpal and mundy are camp fodder/practice squad

well those are my lame grades. who really knows who is going to be good or bad for certain? did anyone think favre was going to be as good as he was in the NFL?

Jeremy
04-27-2008, 09:56 PM

It's kind of sad that some people are so self-centered they have to have these things explained to them.

Davis is a B- type of player, but his value in that spot was a D+ at best. Like I said, his best case scenario is becoming a Vrabel or Bruschi type of player.

And since when did SI's entertainment reporter become a college football sage? That's kind of like having Melissa Rivers doing interviews in the Green Room at the draft.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
04-27-2008, 10:34 PM
If the offensive line that we currently have works out and is able to protect Ben..
Then I give this draft an A+

If Ben spends most of the game on his back........then I would have wait a few years before I give the 2008 drat the A+..

Lets face it.....anyway you look at it.......We got lucky getting the first two players off the board............Both have potential to be great nfl athletes.

rounds 3 through 6 were all depth position that is well needed......

steel58
04-27-2008, 11:34 PM
Apparently, none of us knows what the Steelers were targeting in the draft. I feel they believe they took the best player on the board when they picked each round. Time will tell. Obviously no team drafts perfectly. Ryan Leaf near the top of the draft and Tom Brady in the 6th round and Fast Willie undrafted. No one ever knows for sure. Maybe we can still get a few players to redo their contracts and then pick up another free agent after June 1 for anywhere we still need someone. What happens if Willie gets hurt again (or Lord forbid) is unable to comeback by training camp? Imagine if the Steelers had the running backs they did last year without Willie and the receviers they had when Santonio and/or Hines was out, Ben would get killed. We just need to let things play out. Hope Moore can return punts well and all the young guys (especially Anthony Smith) improve.

OneForTheToe
04-28-2008, 01:07 AM
Mendenhall- B+
Sweed- A
Hills- C
Humpel- D A camp body.
Mundy- D

You really think we are going to cut our 3rd round pick? How often is a 3rd round draft choice cut? The last high cut I remember was Fred Gibson and he was a fourth. In addition, teams don’t usually put a 3rd round pick or higher on the P.S., because they aren't likely to go unsigned by another team.

Personally I think we will have 4 or 6 make this years opening day roster. Obviously ,I think Mendenhall and Sweed are locks. Davis and Hills are almost locks as much because of where they were drafted. Dixon would also be an almost lock if not for his injury. So, I'd say if he is healthy he makes the team, if he is not then he is on IR. Humpel and Mundy are probably PS players - although Mundy could have a better chance because of depth issues.

Preacher
04-28-2008, 01:13 AM
You really think we are going to cut our 3rd round pick? How often is a 3rd round draft choice cut? The last high cut I remember was Fred Gibson and he was a fourth. In addition, teams donít usually put a 3rd pick on the P.S., because they aren't likely to go unsigned by another team.

Personally, I think we will have 4 or 6 make this years opening day roster. Obviously I think Mendenhall and Sweed are locks. Davis and Hills are almost locks because of where they were drafted. Dixon would also be an almost lock if not for his injury. So, I'd say if he is healthy he makes the team, if he is not then he is on IR. Humpel and Mundy are probably PS players - although Mundy could have a better chance because of depth issues.

Well... The Pats cut all but their first round pick last year.

3rds get cut. I would rather him get cut now if he isn't going to make it and pick up a VFA instead.

Davison_K
04-28-2008, 01:34 AM
what kills me, is the complete lack of reality.

32 Teams, drafting players for 7 rounds. The chances of us getting a DL stud, at 23 was impossible. The chances of getting an OL Stud at 23 was impossible. So we picked up needs and addressed other areas as we could with what was available. Drafting an OG from Syracuse or a DL from Kent State wasn't going to "solve our problems" We did what we needed to do from the coaches point of view, fixed some holes on offense, got some needed depth at RB, got a young guy to learn the system at OLB, got a potential future Tackle if he can get healthy and picked up a probable number 3 QB with the potential of being the next Randel El.

I give this draft a B, with the opportunity to change my opinion after these guys show us their skills.

I think you are completely right. About just about everything. I love the first two picks. Both were great picks and we weren't going to be able to draft the oline or dline guys wtihout trading our right testicle. It wasn't worth it. We got great value picks and I love it. All of you forget that having Dixon on the roster saves us a roster spot if he can actually make the team. That gives us the depth at QB and a possible WR as well if he can play the position. So he is a project he was a late pick. A lot of the players drafted late are projects, people who get cut, or diamonds who out do what everyone thought was possible.

Stop calling for Colbert's head. This draft deserves a B, but I want to see how they actually develop before I give my final grade.

GO STEELERS IN 2008

OneForTheToe
04-28-2008, 01:42 AM
Well... The Pats cut all but their first round pick last year.

3rds get cut. I would rather him get cut now if he isn't going to make it and pick up a VFA instead.

I wonder how many third round picks have been cut in the last five years? I wouldn't be surprised if the number was as low as ten.

Besides, there are a lot of things the Pats do that we, thankfully don't.:wink02:

I wouldn't be surprised if Belecheat just cut all but one draft choice last year to stroke his teams ego.
:tt02:

BettisFan
04-28-2008, 01:45 AM
I mean no matter what we give it just look on espn polls the rest of the country (non steeler fans) even think its a great draft for us!

Aussie_steeler
04-28-2008, 03:37 AM
The picks of Mendenhall and Sweed were BPA slamdunks in my view. A+

Round 3 pick is a real surprise to me. They had Avril in an loved him and passed on Dre Moore and Red Bryant who also had visits. Really surprising pick. D

Round 4 I think Hills was the best pick to make for the team looking at what was around. B

Round 5 I think Dixon (came in for a visit before draft) could either be our future #2 QB or even a trade for a pick higher than the 5 invested. Not a bad pick overall IMO.DE Hayden could have been an option but not much was available. B minus

Round 6 Humpal was a mistake. I think DE/NT Rubin would have been a better pick. The pick of Mundy might turn out to be a good gamble. Their was not much left to pick. D for Humpal C for Mundy.

I am not very good on Averages so I am guessing B minus grade.

Just my two cents worth.

Good to see that Legursky looks like coming in as UDFA.

Steeldude
04-28-2008, 04:40 AM
Round 5 I think Dixon (came in for a visit before draft) could either be our future #2 QB or even a trade for a pick higher than the 5 invested. Not a bad pick overall IMO.DE Hayden could have been an option but not much was available. B minus

dixon is not going to be used as a QB. the steelers learned that lesson after 5 painful seasons with kordell at the helm.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-28-2008, 05:09 AM
Round 1: Rashard Mendenhall (Grade A+) .....I had him graded as a top 10 Talent.
Round 2: Limas Sweed (Grade A+) ......Should have easily been a mid to late 1st rounder.
Round 3: Bruce Davis (Grade B) ......I didnt like this pick at all at first...but in reality Davis is one of those players that flew under my radar. After a little research...and seeing that he ranked second in school history with 29 quarterback sacks and third with 42.5 stops behind the line of scrimmage....Plus very good speedand ST potential...I gotta give him the benefit of the doubt.
Round 4: Tony Hill (Grade B-) .....I was glad to see us get some depth at OT...However I am concerned about Tony Hill's health.... not the leg injury as much as the fact that he had a potential career ending drop foot condition to his left foot while in high school...and it still affects the way that he can plant that foot..with pressure sometimes making it go dead.
Round 5: Dennis Dixon (Grade D) ....Can anyone say Omar Jacobs?...Hope he pans out but I would have rather have seen some depth at DE. Played out of the shotgun, so his numbers are padded.
Round 6: Mike Humpal (Grade B) ..... This is what we all were asking for in a 6th round pick....depth at a needed position, and a player that will help on ST.
Round 6: Ryan Mundy (Grade B) .....See above comment....It will be nice to have some late round picks capable of actually making the team.

A=4
B=3
C=2
D=1
F=0

Total Points =21 (divided by 7 players)
Total Grade= B

Steeldude
04-28-2008, 05:55 AM

i don't see dixon beating out zabransky for the third spot. i seriously doubt the steelers are going to try for another kordell experiment.

SteelerFanInATL
04-28-2008, 06:11 AM
Give this draft your grade.

I'll give them a B. I love Mendenhall and Sweed and really like Hills, Dixon, and Mundy. Humpal and Davis could improve the ST and add depth behind our very talented OLBs.

I think 6 of the 7 picks makes the opening day roster.

Who do you think the odd man out will be???????:tap:

RJC
04-28-2008, 07:54 AM
Your logic is surpassed only by your writing ability and courtesy to other posters

OK, you want logic? Fair enough. What OL player would you have drafted at #23 seeing as though the top 8 prospect had already been taken? If you chose one it would be classified as a reach. You do not reach to fill needs. You do an extensive evaluation prior to the draft of every player. You rank them in terms of quality. As the draft unfolds, picks begin to disappear. You HAVE to stay true to your board. Reaching to fullfill needs gets you Troy Edwards, or Jamain Stephens. You stay true, wait, relax, and see what happens. At #23 we got the consensus #2 RB in the draft as opposed to the #9 OT.

Now, you may say what about the D-Line. I'd say that the 1st round is too high to draft a 3-4 DE, unless it's a can't miss prospect like Richard Seymour. Kentwaan Balmer is not. He did not represent value. He'll never be the quality of a guy like Aaron Smith who we got in the 4th. As a matter of fact, look back at our 3-4 DEs, guys like Smith, Keisel, Von Olhoeffen, Roye, Harrison, Henry, or Seals. None of them, not a one was a high round draft pick. Yet they all played and played well.

Mendenhall was by far, the BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE at #23.....

Steeldude
04-28-2008, 08:02 AM

and he is a player that steelers have no need for. RB was not a need.

i wonder how much cap room this guy is going to eat up.

Atlanta Dan
04-28-2008, 08:05 AM
OK, you want logic? Fair enough. What OL player would you have drafted at #23 seeing as though the top 8 prospect had already been taken? If you chose one it would be classified as a reach. You do not reach to fill needs. You do an extensive evaluation prior to the draft of every player. You rank them in terms of quality. As the draft unfolds, picks begin to disappear. You HAVE to stay true to your board. Reaching to fullfill needs gets you Troy Edwards, or Jamain Stephens. You stay true, wait, relax, and see what happens. At #23 we got the consensus #2 RB in the draft as opposed to the #9 OT.

Now, you may say what about the D-Line. I'd say that the 1st round is too high to draft a 3-4 DE, unless it's a can't miss prospect like Richard Seymour. Kentwaan Balmer is not. He did not represent value. He'll never be the quality of a guy like Aaron Smith who we got in the 4th. As a matter of fact, look back at our 3-4 DEs, guys like Smith, Keisel, Von Olhoeffen, Roye, Harrison, Henry, or Seals. None of them, not a one was a high round draft pick. Yet they all played and played well.

My post that prompted your initial volley of insults was with regard to the logic of the Davis pick, not the Mendenhall pick. Nice try at changing the subject

By the way, you might want to fix your caps lock key.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
04-28-2008, 08:51 AM
I give the draft an A.
If we didnt have needs on OL, I think everyone might be much happier.

I dont think our OL will be as bad as everyone thinks this year....

RJC
04-28-2008, 08:54 AM

Our starting RB broke his leg in the 2nd to last game of the season, and you say we have "no need"? You're positive he'll be fine for the season? You'd bet the season on it? You're comfortable with Naj and Mewelde freakin' Moore? No? Didn't think so. Moving on....

RJC
04-28-2008, 08:57 AM
My post that prompted your initial volley of insults was with regard to the logic of the Davis pick, not the Mendenhall pick. Nice try at changing the subject

By the way, you might want to fix your caps lock key.

BPA only works in the 1st? No, it applies in the 3rd as well...

The_WARDen
04-28-2008, 09:13 AM
F..the Oline still looks the same to me. I guess one can never have enough RBs and LBs though.

Hope Ben is set for pain killers for yet another year.

verks36
04-28-2008, 09:32 AM
I would say B
yes we got some good talent but for position that I thought were already stacked up. Dooky showed he could fill in last year when willie was hurt. Washington was set to have a break out year. Now we have no o-line help at all. In return we did get some amazing athletes.

One thing I KNOW FOR SURE is that of Cowher was here Mendennhall would not Have been our first pick

Jeremy
04-28-2008, 09:38 AM
Who do you think the odd man out will be???????:tap:

I'm looking at Humpal. But even he's a PS type of guy.

RJC
04-28-2008, 10:17 AM
I would say B
yes we got some good talent but for position that I thought were already stacked up. Dooky showed he could fill in last year when willie was hurt. Washington was set to have a break out year. Now we have no o-line help at all. In return we did get some amazing athletes.

One thing I KNOW FOR SURE is that of Cowher was here Mendennhall would not Have been our first pick

Yeah, you're probably right. After all, Cowher hated to run the ball.....
:shake01:

TackleMeBen
04-28-2008, 10:18 AM
F..the Oline still looks the same to me. I guess one can never have enough RBs and LBs though.

Hope Ben is set for pain killers for yet another year.

anyone know how many pain killers you can buy for 102 million dollars???? :sofunny:
and while you are at ben, invest that money into your own personal medical staff, i have a feeling you may need them more than you know..lol

tony hipchest
04-28-2008, 10:21 AM

i wonder how much cap room this guy is going to eat up.eat up? how bout save?

he will cost a little more than najeh davenport. so its a wash. look at santonio holmes. we still have him for a few more years at about $2 mil/ season. thats a bargain and mendenhall will prove to be the same type of bargain. if we split his time with willie and spread out there numbers we may even get him at a reduced rate for his next contract, when willies time is up.

this pick may not fill immediate needs now (although i would say m. jones drew filled immediate needs for the jags) but it will look brilliant in 2-3 years.

Lord Stiller
04-28-2008, 10:40 AM
I hope some of these 2nd day picks can make an impact on special teams

BettisFan
04-28-2008, 11:29 AM
does anyone think all of our rookies will make it on the final roster? (the ones we drafted not undrafted or FA's)

rdsovchen
04-28-2008, 11:48 AM

How can you say this?:doh: What have the backs proven (other than Parker) that lead you to believe there is no need?

All I have seen, based on last years games, is a bunch of backs that gain negative or no yards on third and two.

Look at the Arizona game, the Jets game the Denver game and the Jacksonville game. All games to inferior or equal opponents in which we had the lead and lost at the end because we simply could not control the ball and the clock giving those teams every opportunity to win.:banging: (Which they did!) Sticking us with 4 more in the loss column.

Davenport, Russel and Davis, as average as they may be, simply can't get it done when it's on the line.

Lord Stiller
04-28-2008, 11:48 AM
does anyone think all of our rookies will make it on the final roster?

i dont think that has ever happened

LVSteelersfan
04-28-2008, 11:57 AM
Let me educate you on the logic.

Sure, it is exciting to bring home a brand new shiny SUV. . . but why spend the money there when you have a 2 year old hummer sitting sitting in the driveway and the furnace needs to be fixed in the home.

You spend the money to fix the furnace... not to buy a second SUV.

We have willie. (2 year old hummer) We have brought in other RB's that can share the load (Mwelde Moore). So why get Mendenghall ( brand new SUV) when it would have been smarter to put our third with our first, trade up, and get a OL (furnace) like Otah?

I agree to a certain extent but I think the Mendenhall move was more of a get rid of Davenport who could not cut the mustard when Willie went down more than anything else. Moore is a good part time back but there is no indication from his earlier years that he can play all the time if Willie gets hurt. Mendenhall was a great pick in my mind. Sweed was just an outright steal in the second round as he should have been long gone by that point. We just got lucky the other teams were focusing on linemen that we couldn't get and didn't start the WR run until after Sweed was gone. I still reserve my thoughts on Dixon and will have to see what that turns into down the line. I am not so sure about picking so many players with injuries in their past but only time will tell if they pan out. I give them a B- grade for the draft. I agree if 4 of the players make what is a solid team overall, then it was an acceptable draft. Not great. Not terrible.

Atlanta Dan
04-28-2008, 12:15 PM
BPA only works in the 1st? No, it applies in the 3rd as well...

You clearly think BPA applies to everything, which is fine - I disagree that another OLB is what the Steelers needed in this draft and that BPA is how the entire draft should work

We agree to disagree on this

lilyoder6
04-28-2008, 12:18 PM
i think come pre-season time we will see where the steelers messed up and where they hit it big.. just give it time... would i like to see the steelers draft king yes, would i liked them to drafted moore yes.. but i think the fo knows what they are doing

tony hipchest
04-28-2008, 12:23 PM
Moore is a good part time back but there is no indication from his earlier years that he can play all the time if Willie gets hurt. .

sure there is. tons of it actually. his rookie season he backed up michael bennett (from a prior post)-

lets look at what he did as a rookie with the vikings-

week 1-3 = 2 touches for 16 yards

week 5 = 1st career start 20 carries/ 92 yds, 12 receptions/90 yards

week 6 = 2nd career start. 15 carries/109 yds, 7 receptions/78 yds

week 7 = did not start. 20 carries/ 138 yds, 5 receptions/30 yds

week 8 = 3rd career start. 8 carries/29 yds, 1 reception/26 yds INJURED

week 9-19 INJURED = 2 touches

and just to prove mewelde was no rookie season fluke, in each of his 1st 3 starts in his sophmore season, he logged 100+ yds from scrimmage. he has made the most of every opportunity his whole career (and is 1 hell of a primetime performer too). najeh isnt.

if willie goes down, moore and mendenhall carry the load and we dont look back...

Elvis
04-28-2008, 12:43 PM

Very nice post bud. I agree with ya.
I give our team a B as well. Being we got a great backup RB and the big receiver that Ben wanted all along. I think that Davis will pay dividends as well and Dixon will be better than Kordell "slash" Stewart.
:hatsoff:

stlrtruck
04-28-2008, 12:45 PM
I don't understand the draft picks this year, especially from my perspective that we definitely had some blaring needs that weren't addressed.

However, as a fan, I believe in the coaching staff and the FO that they have done what was best for the team now and the future. The coaches obviously feel that our O-line is suffcient enough to work this year and that our defense will be fine as is in the trenches.

LVSteelersfan
04-28-2008, 12:57 PM
sure there is. tons of it actually. his rookie season he backed up michael bennett (from a prior post)-

if willie goes down, moore and mendenhall carry the load and we dont look back...

I think Moore was a great pick up. I just don't think he is an every down back is all. The homer in me wants to believe he is all we needed but the FO obviously thought otherwise when they picked up Mendenhall. Some called him the best RB in the draft so I think he was a steal at pick 23. BPA sometimes works. Sometimes it doesn't. Only time will tell if the confidence our FO has in the existing O-line will pan out. For Ben's sake, I hope they know what they are doing.

lilyoder6
04-28-2008, 01:31 PM
on the yahoo home page.,. they did the draft grades.. and the man gave us an A... i think we had a good draft.. hills will be a iffy since of his injury prone body

The_WARDen
04-28-2008, 02:45 PM
How can you say this?:doh: What have the backs proven (other than Parker) that lead you to believe there is no need?

All I have seen, based on last years games, is a bunch of backs that gain negative or no yards on third and two.

Look at the Arizona game, the Jets game the Denver game and the Jacksonville game. All games to inferior or equal opponents in which we had the lead and lost at the end because we simply could not control the ball and the clock giving those teams every opportunity to win.:banging: (Which they did!) Sticking us with 4 more in the loss column.

Davenport, Russel and Davis, as average as they may be, simply can't get it done when it's on the line.

you don't take a backup RB with the #23 pick. Bad move...

So, if he is the starter, then what do you do with the guy that was leading the league in rushing in week 16???
:banging:

Preacher
04-28-2008, 03:37 PM

So, if he is the starter, then what do you do with the guy that was leading the league in rushing in week 16???

The more I think about it.. this is the pick... since OT's weren't available, that I agree with.

The single featured back is going away. RB's now are starting to be treated like WR, where you need two that are capable of first string starting positions. Heck, we may even see a number of two- tailback sets coming out this fall. We may even have a TRUE fullback in Mendenhall (like Franco was). What I really like about this... is that we can come out in a 3 receiver set with two tailbacks... and still run a pass, sweep, or run play up the middle.. or dump it to each side.

Furthermore, the plays should develop faster... with that much speed in the backfield... it will keep teams guessing even more.

I don't know.. this pick... and the 2nd round pick is growing on me. Would I have been happier with a OT? Absolutely. But I gotta admit.. the cost to move up just wasn't worth it. And was any of the OT's in the 2nd and lower rounds really as good as what we have on the line now?

xbroughneck
04-28-2008, 03:40 PM

But what if your #1 RB is recovering from a leg injury and it's blatantly obvious (after watching last year) that the offense needs to not miss a beat when that one RB goes down?

I grade the draft a B- only because I wanted an O-Lineman in the first. Based on the physical ability of each player we drafted....it's collegiate B+ talent in all of our first 5 picks. IMHO, when healthy (and counting that Davis has to adjust to not being a DE)..the guys the Steelers drafted are A level talent.

Dennis Dixon is not Kordell Stewart. Yeah, he runs. Ben runs too. Are we going to start calling Big Ben the next reincarnation of Kordell?

After the 2008 season Dixon should be able to PHYSICALLY improvise at QB just like Big Ben. Not saying he'll be as successful, but I think he'll be physically capable to run the same plays.

The question will be his decision making process. Before he got hurt though...20 touchdowns, 4 picks in the Pac 10 conference.

I like his pick considering I don't expect him to play at all this year...unless Charlie AND Ben get hurt.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-28-2008, 03:47 PM
The more I think about it.. this is the pick... since OT's weren't available, that I agree with.

The single featured back is going away. RB's now are starting to be treated like WR, where you need two that are capable of first string starting positions. Heck, we may even see a number of two- tailback sets coming out this fall. We may even have a TRUE fullback in Mendenhall (like Franco was). What I really like about this... is that we can come out in a 3 receiver set with two tailbacks... and still run a pass, sweep, or run play up the middle.. or dump it to each side.

Furthermore, the plays should develop faster... with that much speed in the backfield... it will keep teams guessing even more.

I don't know.. this pick... and the 2nd round pick is growing on me. Would I have been happier with a OT? Absolutely. But I gotta admit.. the cost to move up just wasn't worth it. And was any of the OT's in the 2nd and lower rounds really as good as what we have on the line now?

Your touching on what I was thinking....We may be able to cut back on how many times Ben gets sacked by A) having WR's who can seperate quicker (Sweed).. B) by wearing down defenses with an effective one-two RB punch.

I do want a more cohesive line...but there are other factors that can help cut back on our sack totals.

Dino 6 Rings
04-28-2008, 03:58 PM
Your touching on what I was thinking....We may be able to cut back on how many times Ben gets sacked by A) having WR's who can seperate quicker (Sweed).. B) by wearing down defenses with an effective one-two RB punch.

I do want a more cohesive line...but there are other factors that can help cut back on our sack totals.

Don't forget, A New Center, a Guard that actually wants to be on the team and a 3rd down back that has great hands, skills, and actually can learn a new playbook.

lilyoder6
04-28-2008, 04:10 PM
todd mcshay said the steelers had one of the best drafts.. and skip bayless said we had the best draft.. we did get the 2nd best rb and the best wr in the draft.. i say we did good

Rhee Rhee
04-28-2008, 04:19 PM
B-/B for now but in a few years with the players and talents they have i think it very well could be an A-/A

TackleMeBen
04-28-2008, 04:25 PM
i will give this draft a grade after i see how many times ben is laying on his back..lol.

Steeldude
04-28-2008, 04:44 PM
Our starting RB broke his leg in the 2nd to last game of the season, and you say we have "no need"? You're positive he'll be fine for the season? You'd bet the season on it? You're comfortable with Naj and Mewelde freakin' Moore? No? Didn't think so. Moving on....

reports say his leg is going to be just fine. gary russell's potential is similar to mendenhall's, but at a cheaper price.

i am very comfortable with russell. it all depends on the O-line. an O-line that has proven it can be manhandled. was the O-line addressed? no.

are you comfortable will another year of watching simmons get tossed around, colon getting beaten off of the edge, smith's injuries, starks' inconsistency, mahan's inability, RBs getting hit in the backfield and BR lying on his back? no? didn't think so. moving on...

this pick only makes sense of the steelers are lying about parker's injury recovery.

Steeldude
04-28-2008, 04:47 PM

you mean the O-line can't get it done when the game is on the line. no holes means no yards.

rdsovchen
04-28-2008, 04:57 PM

Every indication that I have seen in print or heard about is that the Steelers Organization under Tomlin's coching wants to shift to a tandom backfield like many of the others around the league.

This will be great for both backs, it will keep them fresh, and best of all for Willie, save a lot of wear and tear.

For fantasy players on the other hand, not so good.:drink: Here's to a great season!

rdsovchen
04-28-2008, 05:00 PM
you mean the O-line can't get it done when the game is on the line. no holes means no yards.

Explain this one to THE BUS:tt: Allhail# 36!