PDA

View Full Version : Dennis Dixon

fire
04-27-2008, 05:33 PM
I am here on friendly terms for a post (Im not a Steelers fan).

A couple of months ago I heard an interview with Dennis Dixon on espn. I checked to see who drafted him (and you came up) because I think you guys got a good deal on this guy. Not only does he have really great numbers, but he is young and with a website dedicated to documenting his ACL recovery, he seems very confident he can return to form.

A bunch of guys are great players coming out of this draft but that aside, what struck me about this guy is his personality. What a down to earth, humble yet confident, true human being with leadership written all over him. I wish you guys could hear the interview....I really think you got a gem there.

A bit extra....I have worked for 3 major sports teams for the past 17 years. I have seen personalities out the ying yang. Im not saying Im a know it all or a scout or anything, but this guy is special.

Cheers!

Jeremy
04-27-2008, 05:42 PM
I like the kid a lot. I thought he would have gone a lot higher had it not been for that ACL injury.

I think he's got a lot of upside and will be a good player given the chance.

Atlanta Dan
04-27-2008, 05:43 PM
I am here on friendly terms for a post (Im not a Steelers fan).

A couple of months ago I heard an interview with Dennis Dixon on espn. I checked to see who drafted him (and you came up) because I think you guys got a good deal on this guy. Not only does he have really great numbers, but he is young and with a website dedicated to documenting his ACL recovery, he seems very confident he can return to form.

A bunch of guys are great players coming out of this draft but that aside, what struck me about this guy is his personality. What a down to earth, humble yet confident, true human being with leadership written all over him. I wish you guys could hear the interview....I really think you got a gem there.

A bit extra....I have worked for 3 major sports teams for the past 17 years. I have seen personalities out the ying yang. Im not saying Im a know it all or a scout or anything, but this guy is special.

Cheers!

Do you know if Dixon has put baseball behind him or is that still a potential alternative if he tells the Steelers his position is QB and not WR/Slash?

tony hipchest
04-27-2008, 05:48 PM
Do you know if Dixon has put baseball behind him or is that still a potential alternative if he tells the Steelers his position is QB and not WR/Slash?

i believe i heard from an interview on sirius that he had given up BB altogether and that his focus was nfl.

and for what its worth from ken anderson-
http://news.steelers.com/article/88793/

It was not imperative to take a quarterback in this draft can you explain why you took Dennis Dixon?

I think hes a nice-sized quarterback, one whos been very productive. His last two years in college he had a high-completion percentage. Great touchdown-to-interception ratio. Hes very athletic, and hes somebody that we think can come in and compete for the third spot.

What do you think of his mechanics?

I think theyre pretty good. Hes had some big games, he throws the ball down the field. I think hes a young guy with a lot of potential.

Any plans for him to be a receiver?

No, were looking at him as a quarterback.

Mosca
04-27-2008, 05:53 PM
That's great to know. I hope he has the talent to match. I can't name too many college QBs who made much of a dent in the pros at a different position; Randle-El, but he's just OK. Who else, or am I having a brain fart?

Hip, you beat me to the post with that quote. That brings up, why use a draft pick for a 3 QB? The FO must not have thought very highly of the remaining talent.

Atlanta Dan
04-27-2008, 06:19 PM
That's great to know. I hope he has the talent to match. I can't name too many college QBs who made much of a dent in the pros at a different position; Randle-El, but he's just OK. Who else, or am I having a brain fart?

Hip, you beat me to the post with that quote. That brings up, why use a draft pick for a 3 QB? The FO must not have thought very highly of the remaining talent.

Maybe not Tom, but there had to be somebody on the board who was worth a reach at CB DL or OL. The Steelers are not grooming a QB replacement for #7.

Drafting Dixon as a back-up QB makes no sense. As a #5 pick, Dixon will not get a long contract, apparently may not even get off IR in 2008, and if he has any plans to play QB presumably will bolt in a few years to wherever he gets a shot as a starter unless disaster strikes and the Steelers $100 million dollar investment at QB has crashed.

This pick is even more mystifying the more i read about it.

St33lersguy
04-27-2008, 06:54 PM
I like the pick. It is a great choice. A strong heisman candidate, had Oregon on track to an appearance in the BCS championship game while he was healthy, very athletic. If it wasn't for the injury he might have been top 10. This guy certainly has the potential to step in if big ben and Batch get injured and do well.

fire
04-27-2008, 07:27 PM
Click Dennis Dixon on Thursday (about halfway down page)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/danpatrick/interviews/index2.html

Classy, level headed, I hope he gets a chance someday (and no more baseball)

Jeremy
04-27-2008, 08:50 PM
Batch is really starting to look old. I think that is why you bring in Zab.?..?? and Dixon. The good news is if Dixon turns out to be half the player people think he could be.... in 2 years we will be trading him for 1st-2nd round pick. Where we will probably need to take a stud safety.

Exactly. If Ben goes down, the season is over because Batch is old and Zabransky sucks.

Hypocycloid
04-27-2008, 10:20 PM
They picked him because they know if he were to ride a motorcycle, he would wear a helmat!

BettisFan
04-27-2008, 11:20 PM
so will dixon take over batches spot as number 2?

Jeremy
04-27-2008, 11:29 PM
so will dixon take over batches spot as number 2?

As much as I hate writing this, Zabransky is still on the roster. Dennis will have to earn the #3 spot for next season and maybe move up to #2 in 09.

BettisFan
04-27-2008, 11:34 PM
zabransky honestly sucks sorry hes horrbile not and nfl player

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-28-2008, 06:27 AM
I dont like the pick at all....I would prefer to stay away from QB's who;s numbers are padded by playing out of the shotgun. I keep hearing Dennis Dixon...but I cant help but think.... Omar Jacobs.

revefsreleets
04-28-2008, 09:20 AM
This is no surprise. The Steelers draft a QB in the later rounds almost every year. This kid has upside, and, like it or not, he'll be asked to contribute in other ways if he wants to make the roster. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: He was drafted because we have been smoked by Josh Cribbs more than once since that college QB joined the Browns.

Hines0wnz
04-28-2008, 02:08 PM
zabransky honestly sucks sorry hes horrbile not and nfl player

Wow, Bronco hate.

verks36
04-28-2008, 04:02 PM
This is no surprise. The Steelers draft a QB in the later rounds almost every year. This kid has upside, and, like it or not, he'll be asked to contribute in other ways if he wants to make the roster. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: He was drafted because we have been smoked by Josh Cribbs more than once since that college QB joined the Browns.

are you saying that he is going to be a kick returner?

revefsreleets
04-29-2008, 07:58 AM
I'm saying the Steelers would be foolish to carry a 3rd QB on the roster and not utilize him in a bunch of different ways. I'd run him at WR, RB/QB (like we used ARE), try him out returning kicks, ST...any way we can to get him on the field as much as possible.

The kid wants to play QB...sure, every college QB wants to play QB in the NFL. I'm not even saying that he can't, but I'd use his athleticism in as many ways as possible.

lilyoder6
04-29-2008, 09:55 AM
i could see that.. micheal robinson from PSU went to SAN fran and they use him as a returner and a rb... but give that robinson is a better complete athlete.. but i think dixon can do it

also look at seneca wallace from sea... he goes out and plays wr's and return kicks once and a while.. sea even mentioned it they would like to use him more but they can't since he is the number 2 qb

TackleMeBen
04-29-2008, 09:59 AM
I'm saying the Steelers would be foolish to carry a 3rd QB on the roster and not utilize him in a bunch of different ways. I'd run him at WR, RB/QB (like we used ARE), try him out returning kicks, ST...any way we can to get him on the field as much as possible.

The kid wants to play QB...sure, every college QB wants to play QB in the NFL. I'm not even saying that he can't, but I'd use his athleticism in as many ways as possible.
not a bad idea. i mean we drafted him, so why not use him in whatever position we can. if it will make the team better and help us win.

BettisFan
04-29-2008, 11:23 AM
Wow, Bronco hate.

no bronco hate he was great in college but not an nfl player

steelreserve
04-29-2008, 12:04 PM

Well, not just ANY 3rd QB. We'd be foolish not to try a guy as athletic as Dixon in a number of roles in order to get him on the field. A normal 3rd-string QB, not so much. You just made me picture St. Pierre trying to return a punt, and it almost made soda come out my nose.

Elvis
05-18-2008, 07:17 AM
Maybe not Tom, but there had to be somebody on the board who was worth a reach at CB DL or OL. The Steelers are not grooming a QB replacement for #7.

Drafting Dixon as a back-up QB makes no sense. As a #5 pick, Dixon will not get a long contract, apparently may not even get off IR in 2008, and if he has any plans to play QB presumably will bolt in a few years to wherever he gets a shot as a starter unless disaster strikes and the Steelers $100 million dollar investment at QB has crashed.

Yeah I kind of agree Dan. I look at Dixon and I like what I see and hear about him. But the guy if he has any want to in him, he will not want to be a backup all his career or atleast the 1st 6 or 8 years of it. I think that the Steelers need to get someone as a backup to replace Batch but to expect this young man to stick around for that long maybe even to get a chance to play as a starter would be too much to ask I think.

Rhee Rhee
05-18-2008, 05:39 PM

how do you know dixon won't get a long contract? kevin boss who played an instrumental role in the giants' playoff run got a 4-year contract...

i'd say four years is enough to rehab and at least earn a spot on the depth chart.. if that's the case i don't see him leaving because he simply won't have an oppurtunity anywhere else...

there are reasons why he lasted to the 5th round.. most teams don't think he'll ever be a drop-back, pocket QB..

revefsreleets
05-19-2008, 09:17 PM
Actually, Dixon is more of a natural pocket passer than Vince Young. He'll stand in and take hits. Tomlin has already dropped hints thought that he'll be utilized in multiple roles...it's the only thing that makes sense.

Preacher
05-19-2008, 09:20 PM
All this time and threads on this guy....

I would really laugh if he ends up not making out of camp.

pre-season speculation can be fun though!

revefsreleets
05-19-2008, 09:26 PM
Great point. Pragmatic Tomlin made a great point of that...dude needs to make the team in any capacity before he gets roles assigned to him.

Galax Steeler
05-20-2008, 04:20 AM
Great point. Pragmatic Tomlin made a great point of that...dude needs to make the team in any capacity before he gets roles assigned to him.

Do you think he even has a chance to make it I mean we have ben,batch and after that it is up in the air batch will be around another 3 years are so.IF Dixon is going to back up Ben he better show what he has are he will be shown the door.

HughC
05-24-2008, 12:41 PM
Every year there are plenty of QBs that looked golden in college that end up never playing a down. If he gets cut he'll probably get picked up by the Patriots and go on IR.

lilyoder6
05-24-2008, 02:01 PM
i think dixon will be a nice tool.. and tomlin will know how to use him

Galax Steeler
05-25-2008, 07:15 AM
Every year there are plenty of QBs that looked golden in college that end up never playing a down. If he gets cut he'll probably get picked up by the Patriots and go on IR.

I don't see why he would want to go to the classles pats.

xxxtobymac
05-24-2009, 09:54 PM
The reason Dennis was drafted cause despite the drop in the draft cause of the injury, Dixon was the best player in college that year, lee corso and kirk herbstreit both voted for dixon when they were collecting ballots for heisman. and anybody who followed the ducks (since i lived in eugene, oregon and pittsburgh) i was able to follow both the steelers and the ducks. but Big ben gets hurt alot with his style of play, and well charlie batch is around more for his contributions to the communtiy than for his playing abilities. Byron leftwich was just a mistake to sign for a back up, but this year dixon will take alot of the pressure off of rothlisberger, and dixon is a lot more mobile than ben so dixon can scramble alot better than ben.
Ben does have the experince and both have the same arm strength. even loydd carr (former michigan coach) said that when dennis gets some nfl experince and learn the offense of his team, that he would better than mike vick. I understand this is an old post, but that is the reasoning behind the draft of dennis dixon. and i don't see the steelers trading him. i think there going to arron rodgers him behind ben

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-24-2009, 10:57 PM
Thanks, I watched several Oregon games and to compare Dixon's arm strength to Ben or Vick is absurd. Dixon has an unorthodox short 3/4 type delivery and while I think is a good passer......he aint got a cannon like those guys.

He was drafted to be the #2 guy and might get a shot somewhere to start, but he was just the best value player available in round 5. Especially considering Batch is getting near retirement.

steelwall
05-24-2009, 11:08 PM
Thanks, I watched several Oregon games and to compare Dixon's arm strength to Ben or Vick is absurd. Dixon has an unorthodox short 3/4 type delivery and while I think is a good passer......he aint got a cannon like those guys.

He was drafted to be the #2 guy and might get a shot somewhere to start, but he was just the best value player available in round 5. Especially considering Batch is getting near retirement.

Can't argue with that at all....spot on.