PDA

View Full Version : What will the depth chart look like?

warddj86
04-28-2008, 12:20 AM
Qb
B. Roethlisberger
C. Batch
D. DIxon

Hb
W. Parker
R. Mendenhall
M. Moore

Fb
C. Davis

Wr
H. Ward
S. Holmes
L. Sweed
N. Washington

Te
H. Miller
M. Spaeth
J. Tuman

C
J. Hartwig
S. Mahan

T
M. Starks
C. Okobi
T. Hills
W. Colon
T. Essex

G
K. Simmons
C. Kemaetou
etc.

thats about it for the offense

BettisFan
04-28-2008, 12:22 AM
only thing i see different is dixon, i think he will replace batch as the number 2

ChronoCross
04-28-2008, 12:36 AM
remember on TE we got dekker and boyd and tuman is gone.. And Dixon will not replace a proven backup like Batch who wins when he comes in this coming season. Dixon most likely will be changed to WR and be a slash type player and a option backup QB.

Okobi is a Card.

steelpinstripe72
04-28-2008, 12:44 AM
As far as I know, Tuman hasn't been on the team for awhile now.

MACH1
04-28-2008, 12:44 AM
only thing i see different is dixon, i think he will replace batch as the number 2

Your HIGH... Not gonna happen unless Batch gets hit by a bus.

steelpinstripe72
04-28-2008, 12:45 AM
D'oh, ChronoCross beat me to it. :)

Davison_K
04-28-2008, 01:03 AM
T
M. Starks
C. Okobi
T. Hills
W. Colon
T. Essex

When did he get on the team again? I thought he was a Card as well.

BettisFan
04-28-2008, 01:28 AM
Your HIGH... Not gonna happen unless Batch gets hit by a bus.

how old is batch now i mean, look if dixon is amazing in preseason it has to be considered.

Galax Steeler
04-28-2008, 06:48 AM
how old is batch now i mean, look if dixon is amazing in preseason it has to be considered.

It will be considerd but the only way it will happen if batch gets hurt or if he gets cut.

msafford
04-28-2008, 07:35 AM

I'd say in a couple of years, yes. For now, no. As was stated before. Batch is a proven backup.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
04-28-2008, 08:58 AM
I believe our running backs will be in this order

Parker
Mendenhall
Russell
Moore

IDSteeler
04-28-2008, 11:30 AM
C
J. Hartwig
S. Mahan

T
M. Starks
C. Okobi
T. Hills
W. Colon
T. Essex

G
K. Simmons
C. Kemaetou
etc.

I'm betting that Mahan will play Guard, hi natural position, this year. And Ole Chucki has played for us in over a year. Unless you know something I don't?

RoethlisBURGHer
04-28-2008, 11:53 AM

Batch is a proven quality backup QB.

Also, Dixon is coming off of a torn ACL. From the sounds of it he's recovering just fine. So right now he's injured goods and may not be full go at the OTA's and minicamps.

Elvis
04-28-2008, 01:13 PM
I see Batch being here atleast through the '09 season as our backup and I really dont know if Dixon will ever be a true QB for the Steelers or anyone for that matter. The guy is an Awesome athelete with lots skills to be a better Slash than Kordell was. I also think that Melwede Moore will be our 3rd down back and kick returner as well maybe. But Mendenhall has good hands from everything I have heard and that could be bad for Moore. I am just hoping that this means the end of Najeh being on the sideline in Pittsburgh as a Steelers anyway..
:tt02:

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-28-2008, 01:13 PM
I'd say in a couple of years, yes. For now, no. As was stated before. Batch is a proven backup.
Who really cares about the backup QB??

He's gonna be Cliff Stoudt, Gary Kubiak or Frank Reich-esque in the way they hold that clipboard.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-28-2008, 01:19 PM
C
J. Hartwig
S. Mahan

T
M. Starks
C. Okobi
T. Hills
W. Colon
T. Essex

G
K. Simmons
C. Kemaetou
etc.

I'm betting that Mahan will play Guard, hi natural position, this year. And Ole Chucki has played for us in over a year. Unless you know something I don't?

Here's what I think will happen on the O line:

Starting....................backup

LT Smith..............Hills
LG Kemo.............Mahan
C Hartwig
RG Simmons......Legursky
RT Starks.............Colon

My Real hope is that Mahan is gone, but Colon and Legursky as backup G's might not give enough experience there. Keep in mind Legursky is a backup C:

LT Smith.......... Essex
LG Kemo.........Colon
C Hartwig
RG Simmons....Legursky
RT Starks...........Hills

steelreserve
04-28-2008, 01:58 PM
Who really cares about the backup QB??

He's gonna be Cliff Stoudt, Gary Kubiak or Frank Reich-esque in the way they hold that clipboard.

I don't think Dixon's going to be a backup QB. He's going to be the wild-card player. Some people say we'll convert him into a receiver, but hell, he could line up at running back and be a threat too.

This seriously sounds so much better than the Slash situation, not only because Dixon is a more polished passer and a taller receiver than Stewart was. You also have to consider that Ben is WAY more athletic than Neil O'Donnell was. So we could use two-QB formations a lot more often if we wanted, because Ben won't be dead weight on the field.

The end result is that lining up like this will be a lot more of a legitimate formation now, instead of always a gimmick like it was in the Slash days. So we can basically confuse the hell out of people whenever we want, and be twice as effective at it.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-28-2008, 02:08 PM
[QUOTE=steelreserve;392126]I don't think Dixon's going to be a backup QB. He's going to be the wild-card player. QUOTE]

Not according to the Steelers QB coach Ken Anderson at yesterdays press conference.

Any plans for him to be a receiver?
No, we’re looking at him as a quarterback

http://news.steelers.com/article/88793/

steelreserve
04-28-2008, 02:26 PM
Yeah, but I don't entirely buy that. He didn't say we want to convert him exclusively into a receiver -- and I honestly think that would be a waste. But I cannot imagine our plan was to draft an athlete of that caliber, and with so many weapons, just to have him rot on the bench until his rookie contract expires and he goes to the Lions for a chance at the starter's job.

Sure, I think Dixon will make a good backup QB and give us some security once Batch calls it quits. But like you already said, our backup QB isn't going to see the field for the next 8 years. Surely we have a better plan than that. Dixon can contribute somehow, and that's why we drafted the guy.

dhosmer
04-28-2008, 02:53 PM
def?

cb:
taylor
mcfadden
townsend
gay
madison

fs:
clark
smith

ss:
polamalu
carter (maybe lorello or mundy after carter's terrible playoff performance)

lolb:
woodley
harrison, arnold

mlb:
farrior
foote
timmons
humpal or fox - special teams

rolb:
harrison, james
davis - ideally sounds like he could sub for both harrison and woodley
frazier or cooper - special teams

de:
smith
keisel
kirscke/mcbean/eason - keep 2 of the 3, eason probably odd man out

dt:
hampton
hoke

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-28-2008, 03:09 PM
Dixon is no different in draft position as a 5th rounder as Omar Jacobs, Brian St. Pierre, Tee Martin.

He's a guy that will be a camp arm and compete to make the roster as a QB. They like his potential and think he could be a #2 guy.

I dont see that he ever played WR in college or highschool, but the bloggers think he should be a WR like Stewart, Randle El, Reggie McNeal, Matt Jones, etc. I dont ever see it happening.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-28-2008, 03:18 PM
D line will be same as last year, as will the DB's with the exception of Carter being beaten out by Mundy and the last CB spot will be between Grant Mason or Anthony Madison.

LB's should be:
OLB : Harrison, Woodley, Davis, Fox (if they keep 5, Frazier makes it too)
ILB: Farrior, Foote, Timmons, Mundy

steelreserve
04-28-2008, 04:53 PM
Dixon is no different in draft position as a 5th rounder as Omar Jacobs, Brian St. Pierre, Tee Martin.

He's a guy that will be a camp arm and compete to make the roster as a QB. They like his potential and think he could be a #2 guy.

I dont see that he ever played WR in college or highschool, but the bloggers think he should be a WR like Stewart, Randle El, Reggie McNeal, Matt Jones, etc. I dont ever see it happening.

I don't see him being converted into a WR either, but what I do see is a guy who's just a playmaker above all else. It wasn't unheard of for him to have a 100-yard rushing game on top of what he did throwing the ball.

So basically, we have a guy with the speed and athleticism to line up almost anywhere on the offensive side of the ball, plus the ability to throw a defense completely off-guard just by being on the field. If we can't figure out a better way to use him than a benchwarmer, we must be flat-out stupid.

Pointing at his status as a 5th-rounder is kind of misleading, for obvious reasons. He's got a lot more upside than any of the guys you mentioned, and would've gone a lot, lot higher if not for the injury.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-28-2008, 05:08 PM
Pointing at his status as a 5th-rounder is kind of misleading, for obvious reasons. He's got a lot more upside than any of the guys you mentioned, and would've gone a lot, lot higher if not for the injury.

You never know if he would have gone higher without the injury. Before the season started he was probably a 5th round pick , then after the Michigan game he was everybody's Heisman hopeful. The scouts arent always as fickle as the fans or reporters.

If Troy Smith can win the Heisman and be a 2nd day pick....how can you say that Dixon would have been drafted higher than Brohm, Henne, Flacco or even Booty???