PDA

View Full Version : Sweed #3?

steelers2685
04-27-2008, 11:58 PM
May be jumping the gun, but I think Sweed will be able to beat out Nate Washington for the #3 receiver's spot this year. Thoughts on that?

Also, Dallas Baker talk began at the end of last season as coming into his zone this year being a tall guy and all. Any possibilities in seeing an improvement there?

:coffee:

BettisFan
04-28-2008, 12:02 AM
i think that sweed can take over washington's number 3 spot depending on how he preforms in preseason we need to get a look at how he matches up against nfl corners

Borski
04-28-2008, 12:41 AM
May be jumping the gun, but I think Sweed will be able to beat out Nate Washington for the #3 receiver's spot this year. Thoughts on that?

I'm fairly certain he will beat out Washington for the #3 spot.

With Ward, Holmes, and Sweed we should have a monster WR core until Ward retires in a few years.

Davison_K
04-28-2008, 12:58 AM
I'm fairly certain he will beat out Washington for the #3 spot.

With Ward, Holmes, and Sweed we should have a monster WR core until Ward retires in a few years.

I think thats another reason why he was drafted. We didn't want to be in a Hartings/Faneca situation.

With Homes and Sweed it would kind of remind me of 01 or 02? The year both Hines and Plax had monster years.

The Duke
04-28-2008, 01:15 AM
I don't know. didnt holmes start 2006 as the 4th receiver? though by years end he was clearly the # 2

hopefully nate's number aren't affected much, after hines leaves I like the receiving corps in Holmes- Sweed- Washington

verks36
04-28-2008, 01:25 AM
guys you are underestimating Nate. He is not half bad at all and made leaps and bounds of improvement last year. I really think Sweed will have a tough time passing him on the depth chart. With Ced out i think Washington will step up this year.

Blitzburgh_Fever
04-28-2008, 01:42 AM
It depends, really. If Sweed can work on getting release from NFL-caliber corners, then he can for sure become a legitimate #3 and a definite red zone weapon. His speed is really good, and his hands seem alright. I doubt he'll walk in and be Calvin Johnson, as I'm sure some people on these boards expect him to, but I think he'll be a great addition to our receiving corps.

I as well hope we don't drop Washington. He made a definite improvement last year, and it's kind of getting old that receivers come to Pittsburgh, mature into good players, and leave the season after. If Washington improves half as much as he did last year, we have a receiver to hold us over after Hines retires in the next few seasons.

edit: edited for clarity

Galax Steeler
04-28-2008, 05:56 AM
I don't expect baker to make the roster this year with washington and sweed I would say his days in black and gold are done.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-28-2008, 06:07 AM
I think that its fair for us to assume a #2 draft pick should be competitive for a starting position.

I look for Nate and Limas to initially switch in and out of the #3 slot ....and I forsee a time in the next couple of years where Holmes and Sweed are the #1 and #2....with Hines slowly being regulated to #3

Aussie_steeler
04-28-2008, 06:21 AM
I hope Hines doesnt read this thread LLT. He is likely to hold out from training camp if he hears that he might slowly be relegated to #3. Just kidding.

This has the makings of an awesome set of WR's for the next few seasons.
Big Ben the gunslinger is gunna have some fun with the weapons around him now.
Hines, Santonio, Limas, Heath, FWP and Rashard sound awesome toghether and we wont be able get them all on the field together. I think some QB's might wind up with Big Ben envy.