PDA

View Full Version : "Slash" or "Flash"?

Elvis
04-28-2008, 03:04 PM
:tt02: Instead of the Ole' Slash of Kordell Stewart how about this for our new all-purpose QB/WR/RB?

"Flash Dixon"
What Ya'll think about it?

tony hipchest
04-28-2008, 03:13 PM
"trash"

:chuckle:

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-28-2008, 03:21 PM
"trash"

Yeah, my vote goes for Trash too!

A faster Tee Martin?? Omar Jacobs without the wonky delivery, or just another 5th rounder like Brian St. Pierre.

Dino 6 Rings
04-28-2008, 03:54 PM
I'll call him Mixin' Dixon.

Rhee Rhee
04-28-2008, 03:57 PM
Dennis the menace... chee!

slashsteel
04-28-2008, 04:11 PM
Why don't we give him a shot before we label him trash eh? I will go with the slash nickname as I am partial to it. :)

steelersfanman92
04-28-2008, 04:32 PM
i would like to see what he looks like at WR
maybe another Randle El or is that to much of a stretch?

TJSteeler
04-28-2008, 04:47 PM
Would you take a flyer on someone in a BCS conference with these stats:

completion percentage 67.7%
passing yardage 2,136 yards,
20 touchdowns
4 interceptions
ranked third in the nation in passer efficiency (161.2)
583 yds rushing with 5yd/carry avg

Thats Dennis Dixon's senior year for 10 games before injury. Definitely needs a year to bulk up and heal but seems like a reasonable backup down the road when Batch retires . Also with size 6'3" and speed 4.59 slash role is real possibility.

Seems like a good use of 5th round pick to me.

millwalldavey
04-28-2008, 04:48 PM
Any name that does not remind me of Kordell is OK

steelreserve
04-28-2008, 04:57 PM
Yeah, my vote goes for Trash too!

A faster Tee Martin?? Omar Jacobs without the wonky delivery, or just another 5th rounder like Brian St. Pierre.

Or maybe more like Kordell Stewart, only this time he actually knows how to play quarterback.

ChronoCross
04-28-2008, 05:08 PM
I think Dixon will work out just fine if he comes back from his injury ok and I am sure the Steelers know the full status and have doctor reports on him. Plus he is 6'4 and most likely will make his first start and be used as a WR for us when he comes in. He will be a convert I think.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-28-2008, 05:11 PM

20 touchdowns
4 interceptions

Thats Dennis Dixon's senior year for 10 games before injury. Definitely needs a year to bulk up and heal but seems like a reasonable backup down the road when Batch retires . Also with size 6'3" and speed 4.59 slash role is real possibility.

Sure, I would take a flyer on that guy as a QB......but not as a WR prospect like most want to make him.

I dont see any receptions on that stat list!

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-28-2008, 05:12 PM
Any name that does not remind me of Kordell is OK

Exactly. Thank You!

BlastFurnace
04-28-2008, 05:27 PM
His nickname will be "Cut"

steelreserve
04-28-2008, 05:31 PM
Sure, I would take a flyer on that guy as a QB......but not as a WR prospect like most want to make him.

Antawn Randle El
Year Age College Rec Yds TD Y/R
2000 21 indiana
2001 22 indiana 4 30 0 7.5

I mean, that guy wasn't a receiver either, just an athlete. It's silly to count Dixon out for any position based on his college position and one quote from our quarterbacks coach.

I don't think we took him for the sole purpose of finding a so-so second-string QB, and I don't think a player like that would be too excited about the prospect of being a career backup, if that's all this was about.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-28-2008, 06:07 PM
Antawn Randle El
Year Age College Rec Yds TD Y/R
2000 21 indiana
2001 22 indiana 4 30 0 7.5

I mean, that guy wasn't a receiver either, just an athlete. It's silly to count Dixon out for any position based on his college position and one quote from our quarterbacks coach.

I don't think we took him for the sole purpose of finding a so-so second-string QB, and I don't think a player like that would be too excited about the prospect of being a career backup, if that's all this was about.

Randle El was switching to WR at Indiana in 2001 until Indiana QB Tommy Jones was injured and he had to switch back. The difference is that Randle El practiced at WR in college and was good enough to make the switch.

Indiana still is searching for its first bowl since 1993. Something had to be done, so coach Cam Cameron plans to use Randle El at receiver the majority of the time this season. This is a move Randle El and Cameron agreed would be best for the team--and for Randle El's furore. The NFL draft advisory board told Randle El he would be projected as a receiver/kick returner. This se&son is his chance to show the NFL what he can do in those roles, which he has filled on occasion.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1208/is_15_225/ai_74800704

Dennis Dixon has never been anything but a QB for the past 7 years in highschool and college. Why don't we think of playing Lawrence Timmons at RB?? He's never played there, but he has the size and speed at RB that we want???

Its a similar comparison and only people that look at him wanting another Kordell or ARE want to look thru their slash colored glasses. When Dixon or Tomlin come out and say he wants to be a WR, then I'll believe it. Why make him into something he isnt.???

JanBr7
04-28-2008, 06:13 PM
Dixon was drafted to be groomed as our future second string QB and maybe some gadget plays or specialty stuff. No one on the Steelers staff indicated he would be a WR or slash -- why do we think that? He's never played the position!

Imagine how good he can be as a backup learning from Ben and Batch. It's a decent move, IMO.

ace man 21
04-28-2008, 06:15 PM
trash

R2sojr
04-28-2008, 06:32 PM
Dont bash him until you've seen him play....if he didnt get hurt and won the heisman everyone would of loved this pick!!!!

Jman
04-28-2008, 06:38 PM
Don't the JETS have a QB they use as a slash guy?

steelreserve
04-28-2008, 06:38 PM
Dennis Dixon has never been anything but a QB for the past 7 years in highschool and college. Why don't we think of playing Lawrence Timmons at RB?? He's never played there, but he has the size and speed at RB that we want???

Its a similar comparison and only people that look at him wanting another Kordell or ARE want to look thru their slash colored glasses. When Dixon or Tomlin come out and say he wants to be a WR, then I'll believe it. Why make him into something he isnt.???

Yes, we all get your point. Here's why it makes sense to make Dixon into something he isn't:

1. The only value Dixon has to us is if he somehow gets on the playing field.
2. As a backup QB, he does not get on the field at all, barring a major injury to Ben. He will probably just collect a paycheck and leave as soon as his rookie contract is up.
3. Therefore, we should find some other way to get him on the field, otherwise we've just wasted a draft pick.
4. We're not so stupid that we'd just waste a pick like that, so we must have had something else in mind.
4a. The fact that we drafted Dixon, knowing full well that we'd just signed our starting QB to a long-term deal, only reinforces the theory that there are other possibilities for the guy.

I really don't see it as an impossibility that the guy will get on the field SOMEWHERE on offense, even if it's mainly as a decoy or for trick plays. Even Steve Young used to line up at WR or RB sometimes when he was backing up Montana. No, I'm not saying Dixon is as good as Young, but having an athletic player in the game who can also throw the ball just confuses the hell out of defenses.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-28-2008, 06:51 PM
Dixon will have value if he becomes a legit #2 QB. Then he can be a less expensive alternative to Batch and a better player than Batch is.

If Dixon does turn out to be a good QB, then he may see some time if Ben gets injured and then will have trade value before his contract expires.

Most 5th-7th round picks that make a roster are developmental players and will have limited contributions to the team on the field. Kemoatu, St Pierre, Stapleton, Russell havent exactly been put on the field a lot in their time here.

They can all contribute in practice and on the scout team. The best thing that Dixon can do here this year is learn the playbook, learn from Ben and Chuck and be a mobile QB on the scout team for when we play the Titans, Ravens, Cowboys and Eagles this season.

Maybe he's part of some kind of gadget plays, but I really dont think he makes the active roster on gamedays.....more like the #3 QB.

Kaeg
04-28-2008, 07:58 PM
Here's what I don't understand though: When he was picked, there was a comment about us going "outside the box" for more plays now with Dixon on our roster. (I forget who, but this is what I heard someone from the organization said.) I'm not sure what it means though, unless he would normally line up at WR form time to time. If we bring him in for no apparent reason at QB when Ben is fine, that seems to be a tip off of a gadget play coming up, so I'm sure they wouldn't use him like that. So maybe our plan is to get him on the field from time to time as something other than a QB? I don't know. I'm just trying to make sense of the plan if I possibly can.

Elvis
04-28-2008, 08:14 PM
Dixon was drafted to be groomed as our future second string QB and maybe some gadget plays or specialty stuff. No one on the Steelers staff indicated he would be a WR or slash -- why do we think that? He's never played the position!

Imagine how good he can be as a backup learning from Ben and Batch. It's a decent move, IMO.
I love the pick and look forward to seeing how the Steelers play him and how they use him..
:applaudit:

Steeldude
04-28-2008, 08:26 PM

i have no interest in seeing another running QB who can't throw or run a pro set offense. i couldn't care less about his meaningless stats as a QB running a spread offense in college. klingler put up great numbers too. the titans will learn their lesson just like the steelers did with kordell and the falcons did with vick.

kordell didn't have any receptions on his stat sheet in college either. was he a QB or a WR? he most certainly wasn't a QB.

here are some of kordell's college stats/highlights: College highlights included: Holding school all-time records with 456 completions on 785 passes with 7,770 yards in total offense. Also holds school's all-time records for average yards per completion (13.8), yards in total offense per game (235.5) and yards per offensive play (6.36). He threw for 300 yards 6 times and had only 2.4% of his passes intercepted.

none of it meant a thing in the NFL. if you can't throw then you can't be a QB in the NFL.

BlastFurnace
04-28-2008, 09:38 PM
i have no interest in seeing another running QB who can't throw or run a pro set offense. i couldn't care less about his meaningless stats as a QB running a spread offense in college. klingler put up great numbers too. the titans will learn their lesson just like the steelers did with kordell and the falcons did with vick.

kordell didn't have any receptions on his stat sheet in college either. was he a QB or a WR? he most certainly wasn't a QB.

here are some of kordell's college stats/highlights: College highlights included: Holding school all-time records with 456 completions on 785 passes with 7,770 yards in total offense. Also holds school's all-time records for average yards per completion (13.8), yards in total offense per game (235.5) and yards per offensive play (6.36). He threw for 300 yards 6 times and had only 2.4% of his passes intercepted.

none of it meant a thing in the NFL. if you can't throw then you can't be a QB in the NFL.

Amen and Amen to that. One of this kids problems is that he is innacurate as a thrower. I have to desire to watch Kordell II in the Tomlin era.

The problem with making this kid #2 is that Ben is injury prone. We have all seen it and with our O-Line...or lack therof...there is a good chance of this happening again. If this kid plays QB for us at any time in the future, it will show the NFL that we do not have a capable QB backing up Ben.

steelreserve
04-28-2008, 09:39 PM
Most 5th-7th round picks that make a roster are developmental players and will have limited contributions to the team on the field. Kemoatu, St Pierre, Stapleton, Russell havent exactly been put on the field a lot in their time here.

They can all contribute in practice and on the scout team. The best thing that Dixon can do here this year is learn the playbook, learn from Ben and Chuck and be a mobile QB on the scout team for when we play the Titans, Ravens, Cowboys and Eagles this season.

See, that's the thing. You seem to be absolutely breaking your neck to label Dixon a low-impact guy because he was drafted in the late rounds. When the reality is, if his knee does turn out to be OK, we managed to snag a second- or early third-round talent for the price of a fifth-round pick. That's where a lot of people had him projected to go before he got hurt.

No, I'm not saying he's going to come right in and start kicking ass or change our whole offense overnight. You can probably write off a good chunk of the first season just because that's how long it'll take to get healthy and learn the offense. But I've seen him on TV plenty of times out here; he is obviously on a whole different level from the dime-a-dozen "fleet footed" college QBs who have obvious shortcomings and never work out in the pros.

At any rate, it would be senseless to waste a guy with that kind of playmaking ability as nothing more than an insurance policy or trade bait. Why not try him out in different situations and see where he can contribute? I certainly see more potential in Dixon trying the occasional reverse or trick pass than standing on the sidelines watching Najeh Davenport run for no gain or Nate Washington drop half of what gets thrown to him.

tony hipchest
04-28-2008, 09:49 PM
im still upset about the drafting of orien harris. :hunch: (in reality i am over it)

dixon will be the next brady.

even if its the next kyle brady, its still pretty good.

if its the next marsha brady, we are in trouble. she cant catch.

SteelersMongol
04-28-2008, 10:15 PM
"trash"

:laughing: Sheesh, tony. Please could you at least wait for a season or two before you start calling a guy with those cute little negative names. U know better than that. :thumbsup:

BTW, I was thinking "R V getting ready 2 say our farewell 2 Batch" when we drafted him.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-28-2008, 10:39 PM
See, that's the thing. You seem to be absolutely breaking your neck to label Dixon a low-impact guy because he was drafted in the late rounds. When the reality is, if his knee does turn out to be OK, we managed to snag a second- or early third-round talent for the price of a fifth-round pick. That's where a lot of people had him projected to go before he got hurt.

No, I'm not trying to label him as a 5th round pick or later. He could be the 2nd coming of Warren Moon for all that matters. He will not get a chance to start in the next 7 or 8 years unless Roethlisberger gets hurt. Can we agree on that??

Because he was drafted in a later round and will get a low dollar contract, there will not be any pressure to play him just so he earns his salary....just like others drafted in the 5th round like Okobi, St Pierre, Omar Jacobs, Charles Davis or Adibi Can we agree on that??

We have an offense that consists of Parker, Roethlisberger, Mendenhall, Holmes, Ward, Miller, Sweed, Washington as playmakers. I believe its really doubtful that the Coaches will try and convert a really good college QB that has 4.49 speed and never played WR at any level.

Performance=Ability x Effort x Opportunity ........the unfortunate thing for you is Dixon will most likely not get an opportunity to play QB as a starter here, but will get an opportunity to learn how to play QB in the NFL if he can beat out Zabransky for the #3 job. He's not even a lock to make the team.

You keep saying they drafted him and he must get on the field to be of value.....why??? No other 5th round pick or later QB MUST get on the field to be of value.

Hines Ward was a 3rd round pick and ran a 4.47......so Dixon is a much lighter and slightly slower version of Hines Ward, but Dixon has never played WR.

Why is nobody saying Jared Zabransky should be a WR??? Zabransky ran a 4.55, so slightly slower than Dixon's 4.49, but neither has played WR in college.....SO WHY DOES EVERYBODY PERSIST THAT DIXON IS GONNA PLAY WR????

I'm honestly done with this. everybody that wants to relive the Kordell era can dream about Dixon being a WR. I dont want to start making Bruce Davis into our next FB or TE despite him never playing there before. I hope Dixon is great and makes the team as a QB like he is.

MDSteel15
04-28-2008, 11:23 PM
How about we call him "GoNE" because he's gonna be playing baseball!!! Bye Bye

Sharkissle29
04-29-2008, 12:09 AM
im still upset about the drafting of orien harris. :hunch: (in reality i am over it)

dixon will be the next brady.

even if its the next kyle brady, its still pretty good.

if its the next marsha brady, we are in trouble. she cant catch.

didnt marsha break her nose from a football?? haha

i like dixon, i dunno why everyones freaking out i think we will utilize him in a very unpredictable way

Tankus_Maximus
04-29-2008, 12:49 AM
MARSHA! MARSHA! MARSHA!!

Howzabout....Stash?

As in the Secret Stash in trick plays?

Steelman16
04-29-2008, 01:10 AM
Flash In The Pan :chuckle:

BlastFurnace
04-29-2008, 07:18 AM
didnt marsha break her nose from a football?? haha

i like dixon, i dunno why everyones freaking out i think we will utilize him in a very unpredictable way

The Steelers have already said that they are not going to use him as they did Randel El.

The Steelers had some major needs due to age and poor play going into FA and the draft....DE, OT, and DB. I can't blame them for not passing up Mendenhall and Sweed, and perhaps Davis. Where I find some fault with this draft is picking an OT that is injury prone and a QB that is currently injured. The Steelers made very poor decisions with these two picks...and for how many years has this gone on with Colbert on the 2nd day of the draft ?!?!

I can only speak for myself, but if you read the strengths and weaknesses of this kid, he is not cut out to be an NFL QB. Let's be honest, Ben...get's sacked a lot and this season....with our O-Line in the shape it is in, he will get sacked a bunch again. Batch can play the position and is a viable option if Ben get's hurt for a game or two. This Dixon kid is not a good option. I don't want Vince Young, Kordell Stewart, Tavarius Jackson, etc. ever lining up for us again. The QB position is not for a player who is merely an athlete, but a Quarterback.

More than likely, with Colbert's penchant for drafting guys in the 2nd day of the draft who get cut anyway....the same year they are drafted, this is a mute point anyway.

Kevin Colbert and the scouting staff are the real problem here when it boils down to it.

revefsreleets
04-29-2008, 09:52 AM
I'm honestly done with this. everybody that wants to relive the Kordell era can dream about Dixon being a WR. I dont want to start making Bruce Davis into our next FB or TE despite him never playing there before. I hope Dixon is great and makes the team as a QB like he is.

I don't understand this. The kid hasn't even signed yet, and you've already determined everything he can't do. Based on what? The kid wants to play QB in the NFL...do you think the Steelers coaches and FO are going to come right out and say "No, he can't play QB"? Of course not. They'll appease him and give him his shot, but dollars for donuts the kid gets asked to do other things, and if I was him I'd be willing to use my athletic gifts in any way that the team can be helped.

I remember when the Browns signed Cribbs. He was an UFA, and they still appeased him and said they'd give him a shot at QB. We all know how that turned out.

I simply suggest that we all wait and see how this shakes out before making blanket statements as to what role our new players won't play.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-29-2008, 09:58 AM
I simply suggest that we all wait and see how this shakes out before making blanket statements as to what role our new players won't play.

and I suggest that we wait and see how this shakes out before making blanket statements as to what position our new players COULD play.....especially if they have never played that position (eg. Dixon a WR)before.

buh, bye.

revefsreleets
04-29-2008, 10:03 AM
and I suggest that we wait and see how this shakes out before making blanket statements as to what position our new players COULD play.....especially if they have never played that position (eg. Dixon a WR)before.

buh, bye.

That's pretty funny. There is a standing precedent of athletic QB's making the switch to....

You know what, there is absolutely no sense arguing with people who already know everything.

lilyoder6
04-29-2008, 10:47 AM
look at brad smith.. he played QB 4 MU and wanted to play qb.. but the jets made him into a WR and he does a good job 4 them... dixon has the talent to go to wr and be a threat.. whether it's cathing the ball and running... or do some trick plays and having him throw the ball.. if i was dixon and i wanted to be on a team i would just say put me where ever u need me

Counselor
04-29-2008, 10:56 AM

20 touchdowns
4 interceptions

Yes---that completion pecentage jumps right out, as does the TD/INT ratio. They need a third QB, and and a future quality back-up once Batch is done. He's going to be a QB, not a "slash".

LVSteelersfan
04-29-2008, 11:23 AM
The only reason I did not like the pick is that he probably would have still been there in the 6th and 7th rounds since he won't even be able to play this year due to his injury. And if someone else picked him, so what? We should have used a 5th round pick on some defensive line depth. I can't believe the FO forgot what happened last year when Smith went out. I guess they figure we can't POSSIBLY get hit by the injury bug THREE YEARS RUNNING. I don't even pretend I know more than our FO, but I am still scratching my head over that pick. If Hampton or Smith goes out for any extended period of time, we will be toast.

Elvis
04-29-2008, 11:36 AM
From what I understand, Dixon will be ready for training camps. So, I hope that he does well at whatever the Steelers have him doing.
:hatsoff:

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-29-2008, 12:10 PM
That's pretty funny. There is a standing precedent of athletic QB's making the switch to....

You know what, there is absolutely no sense arguing with people who already know everything.

I really dont know everything, honestly. Please name the Athletic QB's that never played WR in college that were successfully made into WR's for me as I'm not up on that topic??

All I can think of is Matt Jones, Kordell Stewart for a season or 2 and Reggie McNeal. I'm sure there must be more....

Randle El, Hines Ward, even Cedric Wilson were highschool QB's that played some WR in college and drafted to play WR, so they dont fit that category.

steelreserve
04-29-2008, 12:25 PM
Why is nobody saying Jared Zabransky should be a WR??? Zabransky ran a 4.55, so slightly slower than Dixon's 4.49, but neither has played WR in college.....SO WHY DOES EVERYBODY PERSIST THAT DIXON IS GONNA PLAY WR????

YA I KNOW WERE ALL STOOPPID & WE MIGHT AS WELL SAY MAX STARKS SHOULD RETURN PUNTS!!1!!!111

But no, seriously. You just think this was a low-expectation throwaway pick; others see changing positions as a way to make more out of it than that. I doubt you'll change your mind, so I just hope you're wrong because it would be more exciting to see if it happened my way. And that's that.

steelreserve
04-29-2008, 12:28 PM
The only reason I did not like the pick is that he probably would have still been there in the 6th and 7th rounds since he won't even be able to play this year due to his injury. And if someone else picked him, so what? We should have used a 5th round pick on some defensive line depth. I can't believe the FO forgot what happened last year when Smith went out. I guess they figure we can't POSSIBLY get hit by the injury bug THREE YEARS RUNNING. I don't even pretend I know more than our FO, but I am still scratching my head over that pick. If Hampton or Smith goes out for any extended period of time, we will be toast.

We'll probably pick up a guy in FA for depth. We won't get a Pro Bowler, but then again, we wouldn't have gotten one this year with a 5th-round pick either.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-29-2008, 02:08 PM
YA I KNOW WERE ALL STOOPPID & WE MIGHT AS WELL SAY MAX STARKS SHOULD RETURN PUNTS!!1!!!111

No, I dont think you are all stooppid......I just think you all are unrealistic and stereotyping any athletic QB as a possible WR convert.

For years black quarterbacks tried to shed the image of being athletes first and not having the ability to be "NFL QB's" or "Pocket Passers". We have come so far since the 60's and now consider guys like McNair, McNabb, Campbell, Culpepper, Garrard, Leftwich as QB's first.

I find it offending that some want to classify Dixon as a WR prospect first and a QB prospect 2nd, while a similarly athletic QB like Zabransky is not considered to be a WR prospect. Why is that....is it possibly a racial stereotype??? because neither has ever played WR in college!!!

stlrtruck
04-29-2008, 03:12 PM
No, I dont think you are all stooppid......I just think you all are unrealistic and stereotyping any athletic QB as a possible WR convert.

For years black quarterbacks tried to shed the image of being athletes first and not having the ability to be "NFL QB's" or "Pocket Passers". We have come so far since the 60's and now consider guys like McNair, McNabb, Campbell, Culpepper, Garrard, Leftwich as QB's first.

I find it offending that some want to classify Dixon as a WR prospect first and a QB prospect 2nd, while a similarly athletic QB like Zabransky is not considered to be a WR prospect. Why is that....is it possibly a racial stereotype??? because neither has ever played WR in college!!!

The only thing I can say is look at Matt Jones. The Jaguars made no bones about it - they drafted him to play WR. Same with Hines and Randle-El, they were college QBs whose strengths were better used elsewhere.

Since Dixon played on the west coast I don't know much about his abilities but from what I've heard away from this forum, many people believe that he has the abilities of a WR as well. However, it doesn't mean that the Steelers will utilize him that way.

On another note, it is possible that we are all blinded by the Roethlisberger and Batch roles that we can not see the future - Batch will eventually retire or become expendable from our roster. Therefore, I see Dixon as the backup to Roethlisberger but maybe he'll be used in limited roles in the near future as a WR/QB - but only the FO and Coaches know for sure (at least until we see where he is assigned).

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-29-2008, 04:08 PM
[QUOTE=stlrtruck;392748]The only thing I can say is look at Matt Jones. The Jaguars made no bones about it - they drafted him to play WR. Same with Hines and Randle-El, they were college QBs whose strengths were better used elsewhere.

QUOTE]

Exactly!! Jones played WR at the Senior Bowl, not QB. Randle El worked out at the combine with the WR group. Hines Ward played his last 2 seasons in Georgia at WR.

I could see if Dixon had played WR like the 3 guys you mentioned, but he didnt, so I just choose to believe Ken Anderson, that he was drafted as a QB.

In the grand scheme of things, he can play WR and it really doesnt change my life one bit. I just think its a disservice to his ability as a QB to say he will play WR just because he is athletic, while a similarly athletic white QB isnt labelled that way.

TJSteeler
04-29-2008, 04:57 PM
How about this. It's first and goal on the three. We line up with fast Willie and Mendenhall in the back field. Dixon at QB. Sweed and Hines at WR, Spaeth at TE.
Talk about options to score and defense matchup problems!!!
Call this the " we score everytime we get inside the five" package.
Dixon is a QB and should stay a QB, but still can have an impact.

Elvis
04-29-2008, 05:04 PM

El-Gonzo.. you need to just chill out here a little. I in no way think of this as racial. I love the pick and I also think that Dixon would probably love to be on the field. But you know what?... unless there is a major and I mean Major injury, he isnt gonna be a Starting QB for the Pittsburgh Steelers. That is not what they drafted him for. If the past is any indication from the Steelers org. he will be used in alot of different gadget plays and it doesnt matter if he is black or white. The guy is a great athelete and we all have seen that. Just dont bring no stupid racial thing into this. I hope the guy makes our team and puts his 2 cents worth in on our way to our 6th Super Bowl in '08.

Elvis
04-29-2008, 05:05 PM
How about this. It's first and goal on the three. We line up with fast Willie and Mendenhall in the back field. Dixon at QB. Sweed and Hines at WR, Spaeth at TE.
Great post

steelreserve
04-29-2008, 05:17 PM

The only reason we want this guy to play WR or RB is to GET HIM ON THE FRICKING FIELD. Could it possibly be any clearer than that?

Lining up with two guys who can throw the ball well simply opens up all kinds of possibilities. But I think we all know that lining up with two "traditional" quarterbacks would just be stupid. The only way around that is if you've got a guy who can also present a threat in some other way. I am waiting for the light bulb to go on above your head at any time now.

Your racial stereotype theory is just plain stupid. Nobody suggests Zabransky should switch positions for the same reason nobody suggests Leftwich should switch positions -- they just don't look like very good candidates to be playmakers in that respect. The only time people suggest a quarterback should switch positions is when the team already has a better quarterback, but they want to get the new guy in the game somehow.

BlastFurnace
04-29-2008, 05:37 PM

We better be up by 20 at this point in the game. If Tomlin comes out with this lineup with the game on the line....and Ben on the bench....he will catch more h#ll for this than he cares to deal with.

Let's rather try this. Line up, knock the defensive line off the ball and let our RB tandem of Parker and Mendenhall get those 3 yards.

steelreserve
04-29-2008, 05:43 PM
We better be up by 20 at this point in the game. If Tomlin comes out with this lineup with the game on the line....and Ben on the bench....he will catch more h#ll for this than he cares to deal with.

Maybe, but it's not unheard of. As I recall, when the '85 Bears got down inside the 5-yard line, they'd bring in a special unit that had Steve Fuller at QB and the Fridge as a running back. They used that all the time. If it works, you go for it.

revefsreleets
04-29-2008, 06:24 PM
I really dont know everything, honestly. Please name the Athletic QB's that never played WR in college that were successfully made into WR's for me as I'm not up on that topic??

All I can think of is Matt Jones, Kordell Stewart for a season or 2 and Reggie McNeal. I'm sure there must be more....

Randle El, Hines Ward, even Cedric Wilson were highschool QB's that played some WR in college and drafted to play WR, so they dont fit that category.

Guess how many kicks/punts Cribbs returned for Kent State?

Zero.

And now I'm a racist? Jesus, dude, use diversion much? How about safety? There have been some college QB's converted to safety. Maybe not as successfully. And let me ONCE AGAIN clarify this. I in no way ever insinuated that Dixon was going to be converted to WR...I stated that he should be utilized in whatever way best suits the team. If the guy can return kicks (I have a hunch he can), and can play WR (ditto) or RB (ditto) he should be utilized. I'd rather keep an athlete then cut a 3rd string QB. In fact, I'd rather utilize an athlete than see him hold a clipboard all season long.

The best part? We all get to see what REALLY happens this year.

BlastFurnace
04-29-2008, 06:33 PM
Maybe, but it's not unheard of. As I recall, when the '85 Bears got down inside the 5-yard line, they'd bring in a special unit that had Steve Fuller at QB and the Fridge as a running back. They used that all the time. If it works, you go for it.

We already have one "Three More Yards" rallying cry in our history...isn't that enough?

The 85 Bears had one of the greatest defenses in history and a defense that was bascially kicking the dogg out of everyone in 1985...they could afford to take a chance like that.

The Steelers current defense needs to prove it can stop the run and stop the 2 minute drive at the end of each half as a beginning point.

steelreserve
04-29-2008, 06:41 PM
We already have one "Three More Yards" rallying cry in our history...isn't that enough?

The 85 Bears had one of the greatest defenses in history and a defense that was bascially kicking the dogg out of everyone in 1985...they could afford to take a chance like that.

The Steelers current defense needs to prove it can stop the run and stop the 2 minute drive at the end of each half as a beginning point.

All I'm saying here is that goal-line offenses can take some pretty weird shapes. I don't know if the one suggested earlier is the answer for us, but teams will roll out pretty ridiculous formations to either smash their way or trick their way into the end zone.

I don't really think it matters whether it was the '85 Bears or some other team that was using that goal-line formation; if it wasn't working, they'd stop trying it in a hurry. You don't take extra risks just because you have a good team behind you (nor do you get good by taking unnecessary chances).

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-29-2008, 07:13 PM
Guess how many kicks/punts Cribbs returned for Kent State?

Zero.

And now I'm a racist? .

I never called you a racist.

I just think its an underlying sentiment that if a black QB is athletic he can suddenly be Kordell Stewart or Randle El, while if a white QB is athletic nobody compares him to Matt Jones. Its unfortunate, but its part of the biases that everybody carries to some degree.

I honestly hope your guy Dixon becomes a WR if that's what you want to believe.

Steeldude
04-29-2008, 07:23 PM

how is it a racial stereotype? nobody said a word about race, but you. if i ask you to list the top ten RBs of the last 15 years you would only bring up black RBs. would you be stereotyping? no. would it be racist? no.

dixon has speed and "agility". zabransky is basically a straight line runner. i have seen the guy run. he is stiff and not fluid at all. why would you try him at WR? also, zabranksy is a no risk situation. he was a free agent pickup for the steelers, not a draft pick. your ananlogy of why not try both as WRs is ridiculous.

i believe dee dowis was a heisman runner-up and he wasn't even drafted. guess what? he was white. why wasn't he drafted? because he is not a QB for an NFL offense. he was also too small to play WR.

matt jones(white) was a QB in college. he was made into a WR. why?

college QBs running spread offense/options etc... are not a valued commodity in the NFL for pasing purposes. how many of these types of QBs were successful in the NFL as QBs? i wouldn't want klingler or andre ware to play QB. both were products of a run n' shoot offense. we all saw how well that worked out.

i am surprised the kordell experiment didn't teach you that fact. unless you are one of those fans who thought kordell was "the man". how well did kordell work as a QB in the NFL?

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-29-2008, 07:31 PM
Steeldude, you guys are all right. I am wrong.

Despite neither Dixon, Steelers coaches, his agent or anybody else close to the situation saying he will play WR....I believe that he will play WR. This thread has convinced me.

I hope it all works out for Dixon as a WR, I hope they give him Cedric Wilson's #80....it will look good on him. Let me know when the petition for Dixon to play WR is started and I will sign it for sure.

I'm done with this topic!

slashsteel
04-29-2008, 07:38 PM
I think Dixon would make a great RB. :laughing:

BaddBoi70
04-29-2008, 07:40 PM
Oh boy, I must reply to this one!

Kordell "Slash" Stewart was NOT an NFL quality QB. He was the prototypical amazingly gifted athlete whom was not utilized to provide the most benefit possible to our team. Randle El proved what Dixon CAN be for us. Dixon has amazing vision, quickness, agility and the gift of being able to throw the ball. However, his more than thin frame does not allow him to be successful as a QB in the NFL, especially not in the AFC North division. If BIG Ben wants a long term career in the Black and Gold, then he allows Dixon to play into a potential QB/Running role, which takes some of the punishment off of Ben and allows him to play longer in a Steelers uniform.

If the Steelers coaching staff gets it right, then Dixon is a "special" play guy used just like Randle El was utilized and we have the making of a potential SB bound team and a ring for the next hand :tt03:

My concern is that Batch is getting up there in age and we still need a 2nd string QB. I'm not sure Zabransky is the answer and I feel Dixon is too thin to play every down in our division.

revefsreleets
04-29-2008, 07:43 PM
I never called you a racist.

I honestly hope your guy Dixon becomes a WR if that's what you want to believe.

I call bullshit...twice.

A) Racist crap is all you
B) In the very same post I clarified yet AGAIN that WR is just an option...

Keep digging that hole..."buh bye" indeed. You should have quit while you were only a little behind.

Oh, and Eric Crouch and Greg Bellisari were both amazing athletes that switched from QB to another position in the NFL. Both white guys.

Steeldude
04-29-2008, 08:41 PM
Steeldude, you guys are all right. I am wrong.

Despite neither Dixon, Steelers coaches, his agent or anybody else close to the situation saying he will play WR....I believe that he will play WR. This thread has convinced me.

I hope it all works out for Dixon as a WR, I hope they give him Cedric Wilson's #80....it will look good on him. Let me know when the petition for Dixon to play WR is started and I will sign it for sure.

I'm done with this topic!

no, it's he should play WR. history has shown what running QBs do in the NFL. BR is going to be the steelers QB for the next 7 or more years. are they grooming dixon for his spot? i don't think so. when batch goes they will most likely find another seasoned veteran to back BR up.

was there a petition for kordell or randle-el to play WR? was there a petition for them to play QB?

i am glad the thread convinced you that kordell projects are a waste of time. we don't need another painful 5+ years watching a WR struggle as a QB again.

SteelerFanInATL
04-29-2008, 10:54 PM
Why don't we give him a shot before we label him trash eh? I will go with the slash nickname as I am partial to it. :)

I agree. Lets not dog him out. I think I can speak from experience. I'm a Knick fan