PDA

View Full Version : Question on Mendenhall pick

Steeldude
04-28-2008, 04:17 PM
my problem with the pick is it doesn't fill any pressing needs. the replies i see in return are "he was the best player available". ok, how does that justify picking him?

let's say in next year's draft the BPA for steelers in the 1st round is a RB again. i guess the steelers select him, right? after all, he is the BPA.

IMO, i would have either traded up or down.

let's not get upset, i am not saying that mendenhall sucks. i hope everything works out great.

MACH1
04-28-2008, 04:33 PM
I think he would make a fine replacement for dookie. IMO As far as next year goes lets wait and see.

Thats why you or I aren't sitting in a Steelers office calling the shots.

steelreserve
04-28-2008, 04:37 PM
I think RB was a pressing need. Willie is good at what he does, but he absolutely falls flat in certain situations (short yardage/power) and Davenport was no better.

To put it another way: Parker is absolutely great at about two-thirds of the running situations you'll face in a game. But that still leaves us ill-equipped for about one-third of all running situations. So by definition, we still had a big weak spot in our offense.

In fact, that's probably been the biggest problem with our entire offense for the past two years: We can't jam the ball down people's throats anymore. The number of sacks we give up is probably a close second, but we have a decent shot at solving that by singing free agents and developing some of the guys we've already got.

ohiosteelerfan20
04-28-2008, 04:45 PM
I think he would make a fine replacement for dookie. IMO As far as next year goes lets wait and see.

Thats why you or I aren't sitting in a Steelers office calling the shots.Perfect:salute:

dunkuntou
04-28-2008, 04:47 PM
my problem with the pick is it doesn't fill any pressing needs. the replies i see in return are "he was the best player available". ok, how does that justify picking him?

let's say in next year's draft the BPA for steelers in the 1st round is a RB again. i guess the steelers select him, right? after all, he is the BPA.

let's not get upset, i am not saying that mendenhall sucks. i hope everything works out great.

This year KC said we will pick any position in the first round with the exception of quarterback and tight end.

Next year he may say we will pick any position with the exception of quarterback, tight end AND running back.

Running back was a pressing need. Willie Parker shouldn't be carrying the ball 350-400 times a season. The more carries a running back gets the shorter his career can be

Steeldude
04-28-2008, 04:50 PM
Thats why you or I aren't sitting in a Steelers office calling the shots.

i wish i was when they started the kordell experiment.

tony hipchest
04-28-2008, 04:50 PM

.no.

in colberts 2 interviews before the draft (i believe theres links to them in the Channel 124 thread. he said the steelers would be taking the bpa unless it was a quarterback or tight end.

so that means that before next years draft he will announce that they will take the bpa unless it is a rb, qb or te.

so who would you have traded down for? a lesser graded player with even less of a chance of helping us win in 08?

TJSteeler
04-28-2008, 04:59 PM
I could honestly see Mendenhall getting the bulk of the carries by mid year and Willie being the change of pace back. I love fast Willie but he has been over used last two years and think this is a great move. Having two great backs (we hope) is almost a requirement these days with the beatings they take and Mendenhall appears to be a 3 down back and certainly more of a bruiser than Fast Willie.
If both have a great year and next year the only player worthy of the draft spot we are in is a RB then they probably trade down.

ChronoCross
04-28-2008, 05:01 PM
He will work out just fine. He is a bigger stronger back then willie and just a tad bit slower, well right now he is not slower then willie because willie is not back up to full speed, And guess what he is more of a north to south runner then Willie is. Willie strength is to bounce outside and use his speed to out run defensive guys. Meldenhall can actually use his strength up the gut of the line to wear teams down.

Justin Otstott
04-28-2008, 05:02 PM
I love tha guy from what I seen on video and I hope he gets some playing time!!!

PisnNapalm
04-28-2008, 05:10 PM

I was scratching my head about this pick too until I had a thought. I know scary isn't it?

Parker is our starter, Davenport is our backup, but I couldn't name our 3rd back. I know we have one, but I couldn't think of his name. So... Davenport is a decent backup who's probably going to start declining. Why not draft a top notch RB to compliment Parker?

I know that I would love to see the Steelers have 2 threat running backs. I don't see Dookie as a threat. But this kid, Mendenhall... He could be great just like Parker. Wouldn't you love to see us have two 1,000+ yard rushers? :tt:

Galax Steeler
04-28-2008, 05:47 PM
I was scratching my head about this pick too until I had a thought. I know scary isn't it?

Parker is our starter, Davenport is our backup, but I couldn't name our 3rd back. I know we have one, but I couldn't think of his name. So... Davenport is a decent backup who's probably going to start declining. Why not draft a top notch RB to compliment Parker?

I know that I would love to see the Steelers have 2 threat running backs. I don't see Dookie as a threat. But this kid, Mendenhall... He could be great just like Parker. Wouldn't you love to see us have two 1,000+ yard rushers? :tt:

I have to agree after parker we have nothing if parker goes down now I think we have someone who could step up if needed that is why we drafted mendenhall.

JanBr7
04-28-2008, 06:23 PM
Davenport just isn't that good. Look at the numbers in the three games after Willie went down. Yeh, he made a couple of big plays, but he runs up and down and he's not very powerful for a power back.

Mendenhall will be the second rb, and I'm betting they go more and more to a two back system. Imagine Willie having 20 or so carries a game and Mendenhall another 10 or so. The talking heads are commenting on the plethora of offensive weapons the Steelers now have.

And oh yeh, we still have Ben.

MACH1
04-28-2008, 07:26 PM
i wish i was when they started the kordell experiment.

Yeah, I think just about everyone wishes they were.

srk173
04-28-2008, 07:39 PM
I believe FWP has 1 or 2 years left on his deal. Seems like contract leverage for the steelers to me. Also the same with Hines Ward and Limas Sweed.

SteelerFanInATL
04-28-2008, 08:30 PM

Should we have reached on someone that was not worth a first round pick?????? Of course we would not take a RB next year if we were in the same position. We would definately make some type of deal. Given the situation it was a great move.

Steeldude
04-28-2008, 08:54 PM
Should we have reached on someone that was not worth a first round pick?????? Of course we would not take a RB next year if we were in the same position. We would definately make some type of deal. Given the situation it was a great move.

i would not be surprised at all if the steelers pick a RB in the 1st round next year.

trade up or trade down. it's not like the players they picked from 3 thru 6 aren't worth sacrificing for a good O-lineman prospect. special teams players can be found on monday.

i would have liked to see them take cason or balmer in the 1st round followed by pollak in the 2nd.

but all is done and hopefully it all works out great :smile:

Edman
04-28-2008, 09:38 PM
I don't think we made a bad pick here.

You all witnessed how the running game went to pieces once Willie went down. Davenport is an inconsistent big man who plays small.

Willie is coming off leg surgery, and his wheels are wearing down. We have NOBODY behind him on the depth chart. Willie and Rashard will do fine together as a one-two punch in the running game.

Hypocycloid
04-28-2008, 10:33 PM
[QUOTE=Steeldude;392388]i would not be surprised at all if the steelers pick a RB in the 1st round next year.

trade up or trade down. it's not like the players they picked from 3 thru 6 aren't worth sacrificing for a good O-lineman prospect. special teams players can be found on monday.

Your kinda a glass half empty guy?
The Steelers aren't going to draft a RB in the first round next year, not with two pro bowl type running backs in the backfield, unless Willie's wheel's come off or Mendenhall pulls a (what the hell was his name from Penn State and went to Cinci and destroyed himself before he did anything).

Davenport is a decent back. I like Davenport. I also like Vanilla. But vanilla is plain! Davenport doesn't do anything exceptional. He was an O.K. return man, didn't drop the ball. An O.K. backup good for a breather, wasn't particularly good at moving the chains, had good hands and could block.

He will also likely be cut. Moore is a better returner, better hands, and doesn't get stood up at the line. They will also probably keep Russel as well. He has temendous upside. He ran for over a 1,000 yards with Maroney at Minn. Matt Spaeth who blocked for a few NFL running back at Minn says that he runs with more power than any of them and both the Minn coaches, Steeler coaches, and players were surprised with how much lower body power he has. Sure he flunked out and got fat for a year, but he has been in the NFL for a year now and he could emerge. He is also cheaper than Davenport.

They will also not take any best player available next year as long as health holds out as it currently is on the team, they will have to take the BPA as long as it is O-Line, D-Line, or Corner (given that one is available) because of contractual issues, age, and cap space. They will need to get someone high up to plug right in, in 2009.

Fortunately, they will have an extra 3rd round compensatory pick and perhaps another in the 6th or 7th so they can afford to use a few picks to move up from the 32nd pick next year to grab that lineman or corner.

Also talents like Mendenhall don't fall to #23 every year!!!!

The NFL is also a two back league now and keeping your backs fresh by splitting time keeps them ready to run in the Super Bowl.

fansince'76
04-28-2008, 10:38 PM
The Steelers aren't going to draft a RB in the first round next year, not with two pro bowl type running backs in the backfield, unless Willie's wheel's come off or Mendenhall pulls a (what the hell was his name from Penn State and went to Cinci and destroyed himself before he did anything).

Ki-Jana Carter - and bite your tongue. :chuckle:

Hypocycloid
04-28-2008, 10:38 PM
It is not Fast Willie Parker and Lumbering Rasheed Mendenhall. This guy can fly. Not quite as fast as Willie, but he did run a 4.37. He was projected to run a 4.5. He has also run in the 4. 4 range. Regardless, he is fast, shifty, and powerful.

Hypocycloid
04-28-2008, 10:39 PM
Ki-Jana Carter - and bite your tongue. :chuckle:

Thanks, I couldn't think of his name. He would have made an awesome NFL running back.

Steel Pit
04-29-2008, 02:40 AM
Great pick, the Steelers ABSOLUTELY did the right thing in drafting Mendenhall. I'll say it now, Mendenhall is an absolute upgrade at the RB position and he is "already" the best RB on the Steelers roster.

No disrespect to Willie Parker but Mendenhall is far and away a better RB. Look for Mendenhall to be the Steelers premier RB by week #5. There's no way that the Steelers will be able to keep this guy off of the field.

I love the pick. If the Steelers would have selected anyone else at #23 there would have been a significant drop off in talent. It was either Mendenhall or BLAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH BLAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I love it baby! I've seen the Steelers draft for need too many times in the past and they have too often ended up with a boring A$$ vanilla player.

The perfect example is the 1999 draft. The Steelers were in desperate need of a WR and they were picking 13th. They were hoping to draft either Torry Holt or David Boston with their 1st round pick. Holt went 6th and Boston went 8th so the stupid Steelers took Troy Edwards with the 13th pick of the 1st round. Hell, Edwards probably would have lasted until round 2 but the Steelers felt obligated to draft need rather than the best player available. What burns me the most is that the Steelers could have drafted Jevon Kearse who went 3 picks later.

So in closing I'll say this, I hope that the 2008 style of drafting becomes a trend for the Steelers. There's a new Sheriff in town, his name is Mike Tomlin.

FourThreeMafia
04-29-2008, 03:44 AM
Think about it.

The Steelers biggest needs were (and pretty much still are) OLine and DLine.

All 5 of the first round caliber OLineman were gone (Long, Clady, Otah, Williams and Albert) PLUS, 2 OLineman I dont think were first round talent (Cherilus and Baker) So it was pretty obvious we werent going OLine in the first.

This was a weak class for 3-4 DLineman. Merling was the only one even worth considering in the 1st, but he is a questionable fit at 3-4 end. Reminds me of Justin Smith. I wanted no part of Kentwan Balmer. So, no DL in the first either.

After that, corner was a need, though not a pressing need. Jenkins wouldnt have been a bad pick, but he doesnt fit our system very well. Cason wouldve been a good pick and fits our scheme to a T, but he wasnt nearly the value.

After that, its all about BPA, because we dont have any real needs after that. Mendenhall, had he stayed in school this year and had similar production, wouldve been a surefire top 5 pick next year.

So, in essence, we got a potential top 5 draft pick at 23. Value is too good to pass up and it does fill a need. Parker isnt the most durable guy, and Mendenhall is more of a complete back than Parker. Willie's contract also expires after the 2009 season, and he will be 29, so we dont really have to worry about replacing him (pending Mendenhall works out)

If you wouldve told me prior to this weekend that we wouldnt take DLine at all and wouldnt take an OLineman until round 4, I wouldve been livid. But the Steelers got too much value in the first 4 rounds for me to be mad.

They got a potential top 5 pick in 2009 in round 1.

They got arguably the best receiver in the draft in round 2.

They got an underrated pass rusher (24.5 sacks in the last 2 years) in round 3.

And they got a tackle who wouldve been a 2nd round pick if not for injury in round 4.

We didnt have to trade any picks to get these players.

I am still mad we didnt really address the DLine, but considering the way the draft fell, they couldnt have done much better in the first 4 rounds.

Steel Pit
04-29-2008, 04:56 AM
Think about it.

The Steelers biggest needs were (and pretty much still are) OLine and DLine.

All 5 of the first round caliber OLineman were gone (Long, Clady, Otah, Williams and Albert) PLUS, 2 OLineman I dont think were first round talent (Cherilus and Baker) So it was pretty obvious we werent going OLine in the first.

This was a weak class for 3-4 DLineman. Merling was the only one even worth considering in the 1st, but he is a questionable fit at 3-4 end. Reminds me of Justin Smith. I wanted no part of Kentwan Balmer. So, no DL in the first either.

After that, corner was a need, though not a pressing need. Jenkins wouldnt have been a bad pick, but he doesnt fit our system very well. Cason wouldve been a good pick and fits our scheme to a T, but he wasnt nearly the value.

After that, its all about BPA, because we dont have any real needs after that. Mendenhall, had he stayed in school this year and had similar production, wouldve been a surefire top 5 pick next year.

So, in essence, we got a potential top 5 draft pick at 23. Value is too good to pass up and it does fill a need. Parker isnt the most durable guy, and Mendenhall is more of a complete back than Parker. Willie's contract also expires after the 2009 season, and he will be 29, so we dont really have to worry about replacing him (pending Mendenhall works out)

If you wouldve told me prior to this weekend that we wouldnt take DLine at all and wouldnt take an OLineman until round 4, I wouldve been livid. But the Steelers got too much value in the first 4 rounds for me to be mad.

They got a potential top 5 pick in 2009 in round 1.

They got arguably the best receiver in the draft in round 2.

They got an underrated pass rusher (24.5 sacks in the last 2 years) in round 3.

And they got a tackle who wouldve been a 2nd round pick if not for injury in round 4.

We didnt have to trade any picks to get these players.

I am still mad we didnt really address the DLine, but considering the way the draft fell, they couldnt have done much better in the first 4 rounds.

You just about covered it right there. The only "other thing" that the Steelers could have done was trade out of the 1st round and picked up a top 10-2nd round pick with a 3rd or 4th round pick to boot.

The Steelers did the right thing, I don't why anyone would argue against it.

Aussie_steeler
04-29-2008, 07:32 AM
I believe FWP has 1 or 2 years left on his deal. Seems like contract leverage for the steelers to me. Also the same with Hines Ward and Limas Sweed.

I am with you SRK173. Contract leverage or even insurance for impending free agency.

Plus we get two great years of elite talent at both positions regardless of any future contract dramas.

Willie Parker
8/30/2006: Signed a four-year, $13.6 million contract. The deal included a $3.75 million signing bonus. Another $4.5 million is available through incentives. 2008: $2.9 million, 2009: $3.35 million, 2010: Free Agent

Hines Ward
9/5/2005: Signed a four-year, $25.83 million contract extension through 2009. The deal included a $5 million signing bonus and contains $9 million in total guarantees, all of which were paid in the first year. 2008: $4.7 million, 2009: $5.8 million, 2010: Free Agent

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_contract.aspx?sport=Nfl&id=701

Steeldude
04-29-2008, 09:45 AM
no offensive line = no holes for the RBs

no offensive line = QB on his back

no offensive line = no time to find WRs

no offensive line = no super bowl

but that's ok, we have another RB to watch getting nailed in the backfield. sweet.

let's hope this new faneca-less O-line will do better than last year.

tony hipchest
04-29-2008, 10:07 AM

willie on pace to leade the league in rushing

ben had his healthiest and most productive season as a pro

multiple wr's scored multiple td's

smith, starks, simmons were starters on a super bowl team. essex and kemo have rings too

but that's ok, we have another RB to watch getting nailed in the backfield. sweet.

im gonna miss faneca. the best in the biz. hes gonna be hard to replace, especially with a rookie. branden albert woulda been nice but, i dont think were headed into the basement.

plus ben was getting hammered when we supposedly had one of the best lines and faneca in there. and the beat goes on...

Edman
04-29-2008, 10:08 AM
Let's hope this new faneca-less O-line will do better than last year.

It will, seeing as how it sucked even when Faneca was in there the previous two seasons.

Michael Keller
04-29-2008, 10:22 AM

It certainly does fill a pressing need. We need a second quality running back plus we need a back that can get the tough yards. Mendenhall is certainly a quality running back and hopefully he is able to get the tough yards in the NFL. Dedicated running back like Mendenhall generally perform up to their expectation. This kid has alot going for him. I love the pick.

lilyoder6
04-29-2008, 10:39 AM
i don't think our line is as bad as evryone thinks... we still have simmons, starks, and smith who did make the run like said above... w/ the addittion of hartwig to play center and either kemo or colon to play guard i think thi sline will be good if they can stay healthy...

Steelerfreak58
04-29-2008, 10:43 AM

The O-Line picks were all taken by the time they got to 23 why can't people understand that... its not rocket science.

Counselor
04-29-2008, 11:19 AM
Wow---for the last two years all I heard after the draft was "I can't believe we didn't draft a running back!"

Now we did---one of the best on the board -----and there is still complaining.

Couple of things: Generally, the best strategy of drafting is to pick the "best player available"---especially when the Steelers need depth at virtually every position.

They made all those off season O-line moves so they didn't have to draft purely for need, and in hindsight thank God for that. By the time the Steelers drafted at 23, there were already 7 tackles off the board---an NFL record. To draft a tackle in the first round would have been reaching for a second or third round player---that is bad drafting.

To trade up for an o-lineman would have been and irresponsible mistake, because you give up draft picks you need---remember we need depth everywhere and only had six picks. You're sacraficing the rest of the team for one o-lineman. To trade down, you need a partner to trade down with and a reason that you think you will get better value lower.

The Steelers were thrilled Mendenhall fell so far, and got exceptional value at the 23rd pick. We need depth at running back, just like we do everywhere else (with the possible exception of TE) and boy did we get it!

If they couldn't get the oline done---which they couldn't based on the draft board, the next best option is to get more weapons for Ben to give the ball to, and the Steelers certainly accomplished that.

Edman
04-29-2008, 03:05 PM
Drafting for need got us gems like Troy Edwards when there were playmakers like Javon Kearse still on the board in 1999.

BettisFan
04-29-2008, 03:07 PM
i think the pick does address our needs due to the fact it will provide a great boost in the offsense and in return win more.

steelreserve
04-29-2008, 03:21 PM

also,

no offensive line = figment of your imagination

Seriously, our line is not as terrible as a lot of people seem to think around here. No, it didn't have a great year, but the sky is not falling either. The line will probably get a lot better on its own this year because

- We figured out center is a bad position for Mahan,
- We figured out tackle is a bad place for Colon,
- With a balanced running game, we won't be facing 3rd-and-9 all the time,
- With better WRs, Ben might not have to hold on to the ball so damn long.

I also thought it was pretty widely accepted that drafting a guy and plugging him in as a rookie doesn't work very well on the offensive line. So drafting more linemen wouldn't help us this season anyway.

Steeldude
04-29-2008, 08:11 PM
willie on pace to leade the league in rushing

yep, when he had holes he did well. when the holes weren't there he didn't do well. which pretty much goes for all RBs.

ben had his healthiest and most productive season as a pro

so getting sacked over 46 times in 2006 and 47 times in 2007 are nothing to be worried about because the QB made it out healthy? that's odd reasoning

multiple wr's scored multiple td's

multiple WRs scored when carr was sacked 70 times.

QB: "coach i need some time to find WRs. i have been sacked 70 times this year"

HC: "you're fine. you have thrown to TDs to multiple WRs. even if you are sacked 300 times, it's still ok. just as long as you have thrown to multiple WRs.

smith, starks, simmons were starters on a super bowl team.

smith is pretty much done due to his back. simmons is a joke. starks was beat out by a rookie who couldn't play RT worth a damn. funny how this super bowl RT was benched.

essex and kemo have rings too

doesn't verron haynes have a ring too. why was he let go? how does owning a ring make you a good player? care to answer?

using your logic one could say there was nothing wrong with kordell as a QB. he went to a pro bowl, a few of AFCC games, has thrown TD passes to multiple WRs and he even has a ring.

FourThreeMafia
04-29-2008, 08:14 PM

:confused:

I love how people talk like we have no OLine whatsoever.

LG will be a downgrade. Center and RT will have upgrades. So if anything, our OLine could possibly be better.

We won 10 games, had the leading rusher in the league until he went down with injury and had the QB with the 2nd best passer rating in the league. Losing Faneca isnt suddenly going to cause the team to suck. The Seahawks lost Steve Hutchison a few years ago, and while they have suffered a little, they have still made the playoffs every year since. And Hutchison was in his prime when they cut him. Faneca is on the decline.

Losing Faneca will hurt, but it isnt going to destroy the team. We have too much talent and the OLine isnt as bad as you make them out to be.

Steeldude
04-29-2008, 08:31 PM

Center and RT will have upgrades.

how is the RT an upgrade? starks didn't beat out the rookie last year.

the center position hasn't been decided yet. i doubt mahan will win it. it's most likely between hartwig and stapleton.

the LT is coming off of back surgery. neck and back problems have plagued him.

47 sacks, which could have been more if BR didn't do a good job of escaping, are nothing to feel proud of.

perhaps the line will be better next year. one thing is for sure. that line needs to improve drastically due to this year's upcoming schedule.

on a different note: i like the addition of legursky. i think he is a better acquisition than hills.

BettisFan
04-29-2008, 08:37 PM
The O-Line picks were all taken by the time they got to 23 why can't people understand that... its not rocket science.

true that! Honestly guys! We could not have done anything else! HAVE FAITH!! GO STEELERS!

cubanstogie
04-29-2008, 08:43 PM

I love how people talk like we have no OLine whatsoever.

LG will be a downgrade. Center and RT will have upgrades. So if anything, our OLine could possibly be better.

We won 10 games, had the leading rusher in the league until he went down with injury and had the QB with the 2nd best passer rating in the league. Losing Faneca isnt suddenly going to cause the team to suck. The Seahawks lost Steve Hutchison a few years ago, and while they have suffered a little, they have still made the playoffs every year since. And Hutchison was in his prime when they cut him. Faneca is on the decline.

Losing Faneca will hurt, but it isnt going to destroy the team. We have too much talent and the OLine isnt as bad as you make them out to be.
I admit to being extremely unhappy about our o-line last year. I don't blame the line for all the sacks. Did our RB's pick up blitzes well? did our receivers struggle to get open? I think they are all contributing factors. I do think that Mahan got owned most of the year though. I am happy to see the signing of Hartwig. That alone is a major improvement. If our line improves at all our offense won't be the problem. We didn't advance to AFC championship, as well as getting throttled by Pats due to OL though. In the end our defense couldn't stop anyone when it counted, and our special teams
coverage has sucked for atleast 7 years. With a solid center, a stud RB and a big reciever I see our offense like Indy's and the Pats. I am actually more worried about our defense now. I agree even losing Faneca our line will be better, I just hope our D is better.

RoethlisBURGHer
04-29-2008, 10:45 PM
I don't question the pick at all.

First off, while RB wasn't the biggest need on the team, it was still a need. Willie isnt a 350+ carry back, he's not built for that type of workload. Not to mention, when Parker went down last year our running game went totally flat. Now we have Mendenhall who can take some carries for Willie and come in and replace Willie if (God forbid) he gets hurt again.

Second, trading isn't all that easy. You have to find someone willing to trade into your pick. Obviously nobody felt that they needed to jump ahead of us to get the player they wanted.

Third, would you have rather had them reach for a need position and get a second round talent in the first round. I would rather take the BPA than reach for an offensive lineman that won't even play this year. There were no linemen left on the board that were first round talent, and if they weren't first round talent they weren't going to help the team win in 2008.

Steel Pit
04-29-2008, 11:55 PM
I agree with all that have said there was not an offensive lineman left on the board who was worthy of the 23rd overall selection. It would have been an absolute mistake to reach for a second-rate offensive lineman with Mendenhall sitting there.

In reference to the Steelers horrible offensive line play of last season. I agree, they didn't play well BUT, I'll also offer this, it wouldn't have suprised many people to have seen the Steelers playing in last years AFC championship game. I mean seriously, they should have beaten the Jaguars and who knows what happens after that. So really, how awfully bad was the offensive line?

So yes, the line played bad but I look for them to be considerably better this year with Mahan being replaced at Center, Marvel Smith being healthy, and the younger linemen with another years maturity. Geez, we sure as hell didn't expect to draft 2 or 3 future pro bowl offensive linemen this year. If one of the upper tier linemen would have fell to the Steelers, then hell yes, they would have drafted him. But guess what? One didn't fall to us. Quit griping, be impressed with our draft, everyone else in the business is.

Haiku_Dirtt
04-30-2008, 03:12 AM
I think RB was a pressing need. Willie is good at what he does, but he absolutely falls flat in certain situations (short yardage/power) and Davenport was no better.

To put it another way: Parker is absolutely great at about two-thirds of the running situations you'll face in a game. But that still leaves us ill-equipped for about one-third of all running situations. So by definition, we still had a big weak spot in our offense.

In fact, that's probably been the biggest problem with our entire offense for the past two years: We can't jam the ball down people's throats anymore. The number of sacks we give up is probably a close second, but we have a decent shot at solving that by singing free agents and developing some of the guys we've already got.

The only thing I would add is that we should all just look forward to 2010.

One CAN NOT replace an entire offensive line overnight. "Helicopter Ben" some fast fresh faces into the playbook and who knows. No one WANTS this predicament.

But when your choice is dire, unhelpful, needless and somewhat suspect...

Kevin Colbert has given me new reasons to think that winning nine games might be possible.

steelreserve
04-30-2008, 02:04 PM
The only thing I would add is that we should all just look forward to 2010.

One CAN NOT replace an entire offensive line overnight. "Helicopter Ben" some fast fresh faces into the playbook and who knows. No one WANTS this predicament.

But when your choice is dire, unhelpful, needless and somewhat suspect...

Kevin Colbert has given me new reasons to think that winning nine games might be possible.

I still don't think it's as bad as all that. Despite the line playing poorly, we made the playoffs last year and had a good shot at winning 11 or 12 games if not for injuries.

The offensive line ought to get better on its own this year. Last season, at any given time, three-fifths of the line was made up of players who were either inexperienced or playing an unnatural position. Simply the fact that we're fixing that should go a long way to improving their play. We don't need five All-Pros on the line; we just have to be decent.

mastermind1967
04-30-2008, 02:35 PM
The offensive line will be better this year than it was last year. As far as the running back pick, it was the smart thing to do. There is a rule we have in FF. "Never bank on a RB that had a broken wheel the season before". I like FWP, but he has to come back from a leg injury. If he doesn't, we have a fresh back in the backfield. If he does, we have a future back in the backfield.

scsteeler
04-30-2008, 02:57 PM
I am new to posting to this site but to add to most of what has been posted Mendenhall was a great pick as others have said. There were simply no quality OL available, why not take the best talent left which will not only allow Parker to not carry the ball as much but also have that 2 back system that can only help your offense. I think our O-line will be much better this coming year. My biggest concern will be with the defense in which I think hurt us more last year when it came down to it we had trouble stopping the big plays and getting off the field on 3rd down.

Rhee Rhee
04-30-2008, 03:13 PM
so that means that before next years draft he will announce that they will take the bpa unless it is a rb, qb or te.

i dont understand why TE wasn't even an option.

Don't get me wrong I realize that we have to very good young TEs. Heath is great at finding the soft spots in zone coverages and that's how we exploited jacksonvilles D in the playoffs. We also have a great red-zone target in Matt Spaeth (6'8). Plus both are excellent run-blockers or at least have the ability to be really good. However what both players lack is the quickness and speed to beat safties and LBers when they are matched 1 on 1... I personally hope that maybe next year we can get a finesse TE im hoping for a 6'6 240 guy that runs well and has the potential to be a good blocker but also displays soft hands and can cause matchup problems if lined up on the outside...

iDash
05-02-2008, 04:16 PM
It was the best pick, 1st round OL was gone!

Steelers Lucked out!

BPA first Round all Day,
Most dont even make an impact in the NFL,

Mend will be a Superstar!

St33lersguy
05-10-2008, 09:29 PM
The Steelers should have gone with a DL. DL was just as much of a pressing need as OL and there were a couple guys the Steelers could have selected that would not have been considered reaches at pick #23 that could play in the 3-4 scheme(Balmer, Merling).

Elvis
05-11-2008, 07:14 AM
In my opinion, I think that our offensiveline will be alot better this season with the simple addition of Center Justin Hartwig. He will make our 2 OG's better because he can lend a hand when needed and he wont be such a weak link like Mahan was last season. And by the way... I love the Mendenhall pick and I think that he is our future all-pro running back to make the pro bowl year after year..
:tt02:

Galax Steeler
05-11-2008, 07:46 AM
I am very happy the way the draft went I don't think anyone will be dissapointed when the season starts.

Welcome To Smashmouth
05-14-2008, 01:36 PM

I dont think your giving Tomlin and his crew's knowledge of the game enough respect here. Obviously the chances of us taking another RB next year in the 1st simply because he's the BPA would be quite a stretch.

In this year's pick, however, it makes sense. Was Running Back our top hole to fill? No, that was O and D line. But the draft has factors that come into play, factors that can't be analyzed or determined until go-time. Nobody knew that there was going to be such a massive run on the O-Linemen in the immediate picks before us. If there weren't 7 teams at the O-Line trough before our pick chances are we snag one of the better ones this draft had to offer.

Just give it time my friend. I've got a feeling when week 3 rolls around and Mendenhall is annihilating the opposition you'll have a different feel for what kind of players we've recruited

revefsreleets
05-14-2008, 02:55 PM
Anyone subscribe to Steelers Digest online? Labriola's article on the inside cover should be required reading for all Steelers fans...he explains exactly why the Mendenhall pick was perfect. The Steelers actually were thinking of trading the pick for additional selections later, but this kid was one of the few players that they would stay for.

Elvis
05-15-2008, 06:12 AM
In my opinion, I think that our offensiveline will be alot better this season with the simple addition of Center Justin Hartwig. He will make our 2 OG's better because he can lend a hand when needed and he wont be such a weak link like Mahan was last season. And by the way... I love the Mendenhall pick and I think that he is our future all-pro running back to make the pro bowl year after year..
:tt02:
Does it concern anyone that Mendenhall played in a spread offense most of the time at Illinois? I watched that replay of the Ohio State last season and he really didnt impress me that much when he came out of a I-formation play.
:coffee:

lilyoder6
05-15-2008, 10:22 AM
we needed another rb since most of the league is a 2 back system now.. did u rlky want to put that kind of responsiblity on najah who shown he can handled it and shown he can't

steelreserve
05-15-2008, 02:12 PM
I dont think your giving Tomlin and his crew's knowledge of the game enough respect here. Obviously the chances of us taking another RB next year in the 1st simply because he's the BPA would be quite a stretch.

Unless Parker suddenly loses a step and runs for 300 yards next year, or we have a catastrophic injury, or someone like Bo Jackson somehow shows up and becomes available to us. RB is a pretty weird position. A guy can be an All-Pro one season and out of the league a couple years later, so you never quite know what's going to happen.

But yes, I agree, it would take something really weird for us to draft any more RBs. It looks like we've got no shortage of talent for the next few years.

lilyoder6
05-15-2008, 02:23 PM
look at shaun alexander.. he won the mvp and has been horrible plus injuries since then.. nothing is guareented

steelreserve
05-15-2008, 02:59 PM
look at shaun alexander.. he won the mvp and has been horrible plus injuries since then.. nothing is guareented

Exactly. There are a ton of guys who have a great year (or even a few great years in a row), then either have one injury and are never the same, or just show up one year and can't get the job done anymore. Alexander, Terrell Davis, Garrison Hearst, Duce Staley ... it just happens all the time at that position.

NV STEELERS 723
05-15-2008, 07:59 PM
I love the Mendenhall pick, although I think he needs to spend more time in PA instead of at the lakefront in Chicago !:chuckle:

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
05-15-2008, 09:25 PM
The only question that I have about the Mendenhall pick is:

Is it really fair to have Parker and Mendenhall in the back field at the same time while having Hines, Santonio, and Sweed on the field as well?

The_WARDen
05-16-2008, 09:35 AM
mmmm...that black n gold sure does taste yummy!!

:popcorn:

steelreserve
05-16-2008, 12:41 PM
The only question that I have about the Mendenhall pick is:

Is it really fair to have Parker and Mendenhall in the back field at the same time while having Hines, Santonio, and Sweed on the field as well?

The REAL question should be: Is it fair to have those guys on the field at the same time as Max Starks? He makes more money than any of them.