Dezmond Sherrod TE 6-2 250 Mississippi State

Travis Williams CB 5-9 180 East Carolina

Donovan Woods LB 6-2 230 Oklahoma State

ace man 21
04-28-2008, 04:00 PM
what did they sign all them

Hypocycloid
04-28-2008, 04:01 PM
Dykes went to Pittsburgh West unfortunately.

Someone posted this site on another thread. Great site. Thought I would repost.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=392228

millwalldavey
04-28-2008, 04:01 PM
I know Legursky signed 3 years

steel-EERS
04-28-2008, 04:02 PM
Micah Rucker, WR, Eastern Illinois

sounds like an interesting prospect, 6-6, 221, with 4.47 speed, and a 39 inch vertical. not sure he can catch it or if his hands are atleast decent but his stats seem pretty good the last two years so there must be something there I hope. Imagine him beside Sweed, pretty scary

Hypocycloid
04-28-2008, 04:02 PM
what did they sign all them

Yes, it says they agreed to tems.
http://news.steelers.com/article/88936/

Is it just me or did it take longer to release this info than last year? I have been antsy all day!

Hypocycloid
04-28-2008, 04:05 PM
Micah Rucker, WR, Eastern Illinois

sounds like an interesting prospect, 6-6, 221, with 4.47 speed, and a 39 inch vertical. not sure he can catch it or if his hands are atleast decent but his stats seem pretty good the last two years so there must be something there I hope. Imagine him beside Sweed, pretty scary

Yeah could you imagine sending a set out in the redzone consisting of Mendenhall, Rucker, Spaeth, Miller, Baker, Sweed! Its like a basketball team with a bowling ball with for a point guard.

Hypocycloid
04-28-2008, 04:06 PM
Forgot Dixon

rdsovchen
04-28-2008, 04:12 PM
I dont see any O-lineman on that list which obviously tells us they are happy with what they have got!

ChronoCross
04-28-2008, 04:15 PM
Forgot Dixon

Dixon is not a UDFA that is a list of players they got after the draft. And mostly to fill up to the amount of players we can have at this time to look at and see if we can find some more talent.

Hypocycloid
04-28-2008, 04:18 PM
I think we found our Kick Returner. Dorien Bryant who ran a 4.44 at his Pro Day. 5'10" at 169lbs.

Steel Perch at Stillers.com had him rated as the 7th best KR available...."Similar to Royal, except Bryant specialized more in KR than PR. He averaged 28 yards on KR’s and scored 2 TD’s as a Senior."

Hypocycloid
04-28-2008, 04:20 PM
Dixon is not a UDFA that is a list of players they got after the draft. And mostly to fill up to the amount of players we can have at this time to look at and see if we can find some more talent.

I know Dixon is not an UDFA, I meant part of a basketball-like redzone offense. I was just being hypothetical.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-28-2008, 04:24 PM
I dont see any O-lineman on that list which obviously tells us they are happy with what they have got!

Legursky is OG/C. The line is solid for this season, but will be some question marks for 2009.

Hypocycloid
04-28-2008, 04:30 PM

It is rather curious the lack of O-Lineman taken being how poorly the played last year and the free agents we have in 2009! Usually the Steelers do not draft for immediate need, rather for the next year or year after.

Three Hypotheses (probably make a good thread in itself)

1, The Steelers didn't see a problem unlike us, and they didn't have anyone of value on their board except one time when they drafted.

2 They think that the Hartwig signing filled the major gap the caused the whole unit to fail last year. With moving a few guys around and keeping them there they think they should be alright this year, and for next year Hills and Legursky could be developed. Legursky could be a guard and backup center.

3 They feel that the other developmental players are ripening. Capizzi, Stapelton, Parquet and can fill in this year if there is a problem, maybe push for a position this year, or take a spot next year after the free agents leave. It should be telling what is going to happen next year by who is cut in camp this year.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-28-2008, 04:33 PM
It is rather curious the lack of O-Lineman taken being how poorly the played last year and the free agents we have in 2009! Usually the Steelers do not draft for immediate need, rather for the next year or year after.

Three Hypotheses (probably make a good thread in itself)

1, The Steelers didn't see a problem unlike us, and they didn't have anyone of value on their board except one time when they drafted.

2 They think that the Hartwig signing filled the major gap the caused the whole unit to fail last year. With moving a few guys around and keeping them there they think they should be alright this year, and for next year Hills and Legursky could be developed. Legursky could be a guard and backup center.

3 They feel that the other developmental players are ripening. Capizzi, Stapelton, Parquet and can fill in this year if there is a problem, maybe push for a position this year, or take a spot next year after the free agents leave. It should be telling what is going to happen next year by who is cut in camp this year.

More like #1. #2 and injury to Marvel Smith and Starks.

Fix the problem at center and get marvel Smith healthy again....its a decent line. Just needed to draft an OT for when Smith or Starks is let go and they did that. I hope Hills i the guy we want him to be.

TackleMeBen
04-28-2008, 04:39 PM
you mean this guy went to Duke University? you mean Duke has a football team that has players that get signed by a professional NFL team?? i know i cant be reading this right??? Duke isnt known for football..lol

Black@Gold Forever32
04-28-2008, 04:39 PM
I think we found our Kick Returner. Dorien Bryant who ran a 4.44 at his Pro Day. 5'10" at 169lbs.

Steel Perch at Stillers.com had him rated as the 7th best KR available...."Similar to Royal, except Bryant specialized more in KR than PR. He averaged 28 yards on KRís and scored 2 TDís as a Senior."

I'm with you on Bryant....I'm glad to see him as one of the undrafted FAs......He is a very good return man....

Pidots55
04-28-2008, 04:44 PM
liked the Legursky add pretty much

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-28-2008, 04:50 PM
I'm with you on Bryant....I'm glad to see him as one of the undrafted FAs......He is a very good return man....

He only returned 22 punts in his career for 125 yards. Not a lot of punt return experience.

His Kickoff returns are out of this world though.

Hypocycloid
04-28-2008, 04:52 PM
Bryant, Legursky, and Tavis Williams are the only ones that were Projected as draftable talent

I like the Bryant and Legursky signing, wish would could have signed Dykes

At least they addressed DL depth with Prince and Reffett. I think Prince is a little undersized at 282 for tackle not sure if Reffett could give depth at NG if he put on some weight. What do you guys think?

Black@Gold Forever32
04-28-2008, 04:54 PM
He only returned 22 punts in his career for 125 yards. Not a lot of punt return experience.

His Kickoff returns are out of this world though.

This team still needs help on kick returns...So Bryant has a shot to win that spot.....Plus Moore will be in the mix...I see Moore locking down the punt return spot...

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-28-2008, 04:56 PM
More on Bryant. Seems like he lost 8 lbs after the season and doesnt like the weight room, in addition didnt have good combine, senior bowl or anything. UDFA baby!!!

Dorien Bryant was one of the few Boilermakers who didn't stand out at the NFL combine. Bryant hurt his stock some by running a sluggish 4.53 seconds in the 40 yard dash. That's not an awful time, but it's much slower than expected from a 5'10", 175 lbs. slot receiver. Bryant will need to improve this time at Purdue's Pro-Day on March 7 to get back into the fourth round range.

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?Prospect_ID=1199

19ward86
04-28-2008, 04:58 PM
Looks like some promising picks.

Dylan
04-28-2008, 05:01 PM
dorian bryant is an amazing pickup

Hapa
04-28-2008, 05:09 PM
Yay a corner!

Hypocycloid
04-28-2008, 05:21 PM
I tried to post a couple of links to Youtube about Bryant but I can't get them to post.

Travis Williams is also a punt returner.

Hypocycloid
04-28-2008, 05:24 PM
Good info on Bryant El Gonzo.

The combine doesn't really show off his shiftyness, balance, and ability to see the field.

Check out his youtube returns.

Hypocycloid
04-28-2008, 05:27 PM
Dorien Bryant is shifty like Randel-El and he has good vision and instincts, very good balance, and keeps his legs churning forward, with a good burst from the videos that I looked at on Youtube. Here a few of them below. I would say an upgrade from Rossem! I did see one clip of him fumbling a kickoff against Ohio State but it was a pretty good hit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcWBll8wRr4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HB5JXIEbKHM
pretty much the same as above. An excellent simple show of character is him running over to the refts to hand them the ball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl1rDD96_Z4
95 yrd td return against northwestern

kickoff return vs Penn State
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMpbuEVCo50

Preacher
04-28-2008, 05:34 PM
I don't know...

watching those vids.. he wasn't making them miss by much.. just half an inch out of reach or so... against smaller schools.

At the pro-level.. well.. I think he would have been crushed.

I sure hope he proves me wrong though.

Hypocycloid
04-28-2008, 05:35 PM
I can't find much info about the other signing even on NFL.com

Hypocycloid
04-28-2008, 05:36 PM
I don't know...

watching those vids.. he wasn't making them miss by much.. just half an inch out of reach or so... against smaller schools.

At the pro-level.. well.. I think he would have been crushed.

I sure hope he proves me wrong though.

You are right that some are smaller schools but one was Penn State and the other Northwestern.

Black@Gold Forever32
04-28-2008, 05:38 PM
He is an undrafted FA....so if he sucks it won't cost us anything...lol.....I just think its cool he is getting a shot....I'm close to Purdue so I watched Bryant play many times...I'm in the middle of Big 10 schools all around me...lol

Preacher
04-28-2008, 05:40 PM
He is an undrafted FA....so if he sucks it won't cost us anything...lol.....I just think its cool he is getting a shot....I'm close to Purdue so I watched Bryant play many times...I'm in the middle of Big 10 schools all around me...lol

Absolutely.

That is one nice thing about UDFA's.. we can bring in as many as thought necessary, and take a look at em.

Hopefully, this guy and others will impress us.

dunkuntou
04-28-2008, 05:48 PM
No OL or 3-4 DEs. I thought we would bring in some for a look. I wonder if all these tweeners mean we might be leaning more on the 4-3 this year. I think we really need another 3-4 DE, one injury and our run stopping goes in the toilet.

Legursky is an offensive lineman and will see a lot of time in camp at guard.

Reffert and Prince will both be looked at as defensive ends but its going to be tough to make the team with Eason, Kirschke, McBean and don't be surprised if someone else is brought in before August.

Doug Legursky will make this team

Elvis
04-28-2008, 06:56 PM
Steelers sign a dozen rookie free agents
Monday, April 28, 2008
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
The Steelers came to terms with a dozen rookie free agents today, including dynamic kick return man/wide receiver Dorien Bryant of Purdue and a fifth quarterback on the roster, Mike Potts of William & Mary.
The list includes no Western Pennsylvania players.
They rest include LB Patrick Bailey of Duke, C Doug Legursky of Marshall, CB Roy Lewis of Washington, DL Martavius Prince of Southern Miss, K Julian Rauch of Appalachian State, DL Jordan Reffett of Washington, WR Micah Rucker of Eastern Illinois, TE Dezmond Sherrod of Mississippi State, CB Travis Williams of East Carolina and LB Donovan Woods of Oklahoma State.

TheWarDen86
04-28-2008, 07:03 PM
No OL or 3-4 DEs. I thought we would bring in some for a look. I wonder if all these tweeners mean we might be leaning more on the 4-3 this year. I think we really need another 3-4 DE, one injury and our run stopping goes in the toilet.

I was looking at that too. Neither of those LB's are big enough to convert (one's is too short and both are too light). I was thinking they'd look to convert those DT's. I guess this this is where we sit back and trust that they know what they're doing. I have faith. :chuckle:

TackleMeBen
04-28-2008, 07:12 PM
I was looking at that too. Neither of those LB's are big enough to convert (one's is too short and both are too light). I was thinking they'd look to convert those DT's. I guess this this is where we sit back and trust that they know what they're doing. I have faith. :chuckle:
as yoda would say.. faith in your new apprentice misplaced may be..lol:wink02:

TheWarDen86
04-28-2008, 07:14 PM
as yoda would say.. faith in your new apprentice misplaced may be..lol:wink02:

Okay, what's with Yoda all of a sudden? Did Big Ben write a book revealing his love of Star Wars or something? lol.

TackleMeBen
04-28-2008, 07:33 PM
Okay, what's with Yoda all of a sudden? Did Big Ben write a book revealing his love of Star Wars or something? lol.
no, i am a star wars junkie:flap:. but he may need the force if our oline lets us down..:sofunny:

TheWarDen86
04-28-2008, 07:48 PM
no, i am a star wars junkie:flap:. but he may need the force if our oline lets us down..:sofunny:

But if he is struck down, is't Ben supposed to be "more powerful than you can possibly imagine?" :chuckle:

TackleMeBen
04-28-2008, 07:49 PM
But if he is struck down, is't Ben supposed to be "more powerful than you can possibly imagine?" :chuckle:
not if ray lewis is the one that hit him.. he might be down for the count...lol:sofunny:

Elvis
04-28-2008, 08:02 PM
If you havent went and looked at the video highlights for WR Dorien Bryant, then you should go on and check the guy out on youtube, the guy looks like lightning when he gets the ball in his hands.. thanks for the videos
:hatsoff:

Elvis
04-28-2008, 08:03 PM
not if ray lewis is the one that hit him.. he might be down for the count...lol:sofunny:
Ray Lewis has seen his better days... and I for one will be glad to see the loud mouth retire real soon...:wink02:

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-28-2008, 08:05 PM
The comparison on NFL.com is to Shaun McDonald....so if he can stick with the team he might be a good slot receiver with his quickness, kind of like ARE was in his first couple seasons with Hines and Plax on the outside.

Maybe a 3rd down guy that can play ST.

TackleMeBen
04-28-2008, 08:09 PM
Ray Lewis has seen his better days... and I for one will be glad to see the loud mouth retire real soon...:wink02:
he was the only one i could think of.. what was that guys name that laid ben out in 07...bart scott i think..lol...

Elvis
04-28-2008, 08:10 PM
This info comes from footballsfuture.com

Dorien Bryant, WR, Purdue
Why did he go undrafted?
Bryant lacks ideal size and he will not be able to operate over the middle of the field because of it. He can be overpowered by physical corners and taken out of plays. He has also had some inconsistencies with his hands during his career. Why should a team sign him?
Bryant is one of the more explosive, multi-purpose wideouts in this class. He is a very good athlete, with excellent quickness and very good speed. He can break off a big play at any time. He is a standout receiver and return man and should be a playmaker at both spots.

I personally love what I see in this guys' game and highlights and believe that he will make our team on special teams atleast.
BYE BYE Willie Reid!!
:wave:

Hypocycloid
04-28-2008, 08:21 PM
he was the only one i could think of.. what was that guys name that laid ben out in 07...bart scott i think..lol...

Then Ward knocked him out last year!

TackleMeBen
04-28-2008, 08:22 PM
yes, knocked him out he did:flap:

TheWarDen86
04-28-2008, 08:22 PM

And he cried like a b*tch about it. :toofunny:

Hypocycloid
04-28-2008, 08:24 PM

They are not going to be moving to a 4-3 especially with UDFAs. I am not sure what continues to give people the impression that is going to happen besides Tomlin coming from Dungy's system. More evidence beside drafting Timmons and Woodly and not drafting Dan Conner is drafting Bruce Davis and Humpel.

Hypocycloid
04-28-2008, 08:26 PM
The only force Ray Lewis has left is his mouth and shameless self promotion.

TackleMeBen
04-28-2008, 08:34 PM
The only force Ray Lewis has left is his mouth and shameless self promotion.
:sofunny::sofunny:. and my son is a ravens fan and has a ray lewis jersey

VTsteel
04-28-2008, 08:36 PM
Bryant, Legursky, and Tavis Williams are the only ones that were Projected as draftable talent

I like the Bryant and Legursky signing, wish would could have signed Dykes

At least they addressed DL depth with Prince and Reffett. I think Prince is a little undersized at 282 for tackle not sure if Reffett could give depth at NG if he put on some weight. What do you guys think?

Yes, Reffet and Prince are way undersized to be a DT on our team. They both will end up trying to make it as DE's

Steel Pit
04-29-2008, 01:56 AM
I don't think that Steelers are expecting more than one of these guys to make the team. Why question their size or ability? The Steelers need bodies for training camp, that's all. Sure it would be nice if a few of them are found to be gems but if not, who cares? Once again, they're simply "live tackling dummies" for training camp. At best, one or two of them may make the practice squad.

Galax Steeler
04-29-2008, 03:56 AM

:sofunny::sofunny:

TackleMeBen
04-29-2008, 09:13 AM
crying in football there is not :chuckle:

lilyoder6
04-29-2008, 09:44 AM
they could make the pratice squad.. i telling u.. i think they should go after and sign erin henderson from maryland.. i will bet he would make the roster 4 depth and a st player

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-29-2008, 10:51 AM
Steelers | P. Schwenke signed
Tue, 29 Apr 2008 07:59:34 -0700

Josh Buchanan, of NFLDraftBible.com, reports the Pittsburgh Steelers signed undrafted rookie free-agent OG Pat Schwenke (West Texas A&M). Terms of the deal were not disclosed
http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#469353

Signed another one

TackleMeBen
04-29-2008, 03:28 PM

Signed another one
well, looks like we are getting ben some protection..:thumbsup:

Elvis
04-29-2008, 03:36 PM
I think that WR Dorien Bryant definitely has a good chance at making the Steelers team on special teams. This guy has all the return skills you look for in a return man. He has good speed, not great speed, and he has good vision and agility. I look forward to the regular season when this young man is back on kickoffs with Santonio Holmes.
:tt02:

BlastFurnace
04-29-2008, 07:09 PM
I think that WR Dorien Bryant definitely has a good chance at making the Steelers team on special teams. This guy has all the return skills you look for in a return man. He has good speed, not great speed, and he has good vision and agility. I look forward to the regular season when this young man is back on kickoffs with Santonio Holmes.
:tt02:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl1rDD96_Z4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFGPYBzXjYo&NR=1

That's some good stuff.

stillers4me
04-29-2008, 07:21 PM
We could handle a couple of those!

Can Willie Reid say, "would you like fries with that, sir?"