PDA

View Full Version : Hey, If you didn't like the Mendenhall pick, you should check out Dallas

Hypocycloid
04-28-2008, 09:04 PM
Wrong selection for Dallas Cowboys?

Hard to back Jerry's choice

05:35 AM CDT on Monday, April 28, 2008
From the Dallas Morning News

IRVING – You don't draft a complementary player in the first round when you have an opportunity to select a franchise back.

Ever.

But that's what the Cowboys did Saturday.

It's a decision Jerry Jones, Wade Phillips and whoever else helped make it will regret.

By drafting Felix Jones instead of Rashard Mendenhall, the Cowboys finished Day 1 of the NFL draft with a good haul instead of a phenomenal one after also selecting South Florida cornerback Mike Jenkins and Texas A&M tight end Martellus Bennett.
Video

Dallas Cowboys NFL draft review - day 1
4/27/2008
More Cowboys video
View larger
E-mail Clip
More Video
Cowboys Videos

Dallas Cowboys' Jerry Jones defends Pacman deal

Dallas Cowboys NFL draft review - day 2

Jerry Jones and Wade Phillips talk about the Cowboys' first round draft picks

Picking Jones over Mendenhall reminded me of the Cowboys' ill-fated 1995 draft decision to pick a bunch of backups because their roster was so talented.

As you would expect, Jerry vehemently disagrees with that notion.

In terms of Day 1 talent, this draft bares no comparison to the raggedy 1995 draft. It's the approach I hate.

No doubt, Felix Jones will be a good player.

He'll give the Cowboys the big-play ability Marion Barber lacks, because he's been blessed with the rare combination of speed, quickness and vision. And you know Jason Garrett will call reverses and screen passes that will allow Jones to get the ball in space and utilize gifts that enabled him to average 8.7 yards per carry in 2007.

If Mendenhall, who some draft experts insisted was better than Darren McFadden, had been selected earlier in the draft, I would've had no issue with Dallas taking Jones.
Dallas Cowboys / NFL

Dallas Cowboys Blog | Forum

Widgets: Dallas Cowboys Blog

Inside the Dallas Cowboys:
Archive | Subscribe

NFL draft

Taylor: Wrong selection for Dallas Cowboys?

Archer: Cowboys have their corners covered

Cowboys' choices reflect immediate plan

Cowboys' trade for Pacman official – almost

Notebook | Bios

Gosselin: NFL teams hold the line in draft

How Gosselin fared | Notebook

Kansas' Talib leads Southwest players selected in NFL draft

Video:
• Dallas Cowboys NFL draft review – day 1
• More

More: Cowboys | Draft

But that wasn't the case.

Jones, who carried the ball more than 20 times in a game once in his college career, has no chance to be the featured back in any offense.

"Both of them were so close you could flip a coin over them," Jerry Jones said. "One of them could be a full-time 25-carry back. We don't see Felix that way. Barber allowed us to have the luxury to draft Felix."

Barber, who also split time with a first-round pick, had nine games of more than 20 carries at Minnesota.

Mendenhall, 18 pounds heavier and a shade faster (4.45-4.46) than Jones, is capable of being a featured back. You can build an offense around him.

That's why the Pittsburgh Steelers were calling him on his cell phone as Roger Goodell was announcing the Cowboys' pick. Willie Parker carried the ball 321 times for 1,316 yards last year, and is entering the third year of a four-year, $13.6 million deal. But the Steelers decided two guys who could be featured backs were better than one.

It's too bad the Cowboys didn't come to the same conclusion. Even Felix Jones was taken aback just a little.

"Jerry Jones saw something in me," Felix Jones said, "and there's something I want to show him so he didn't pick me for the wrong reason."

If Barber gets hurt, the Cowboys still don't have a runner capable of carrying the ball 20 to 25 times until he returns. Or if the Cowboys can't get a long-term contract done with Barber – the sides are nowhere close in contract negotiations – he becomes an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season.

Now, Jerry has no leverage in those contract negotiations.
Getty Images
Getty Images
Felix Jones (25) rushed for 2,939 yards in three seasons at Arkansas.
View larger More photos Photo store

Jerry doesn't care about any of that. Jerry said the Cowboys had Jones and Mendenhall rated virtually even.

"I don't want to get into which was the highest rated," Jerry said. "I don't want to do that."

Trust me, that means Mendenhall was rated higher, which is one more reason Jerry should've trusted the draft board and taken Mendenhall.

"We did not look at our decision to get a running back as a backup decision," Jerry said. "We looked at the position as though we needed two backs to do the job at running back. We don't view that as getting a backup."

It just looks that way.

PisnNapalm
04-28-2008, 09:18 PM
Who cares if the Cowboys screwed up their draft? Only time will tell the truth of it.

Personally, I hope they screwed up royally. F'em.

fansince'76
04-28-2008, 09:20 PM
Yeah, my buddy at work who's a Cowboys fan (he's still a cool guy despite this obvious character flaw) was PISSED that his 'Boys took Jones while Mendenhall fell to us. :chuckle:

Hypocycloid
04-28-2008, 09:44 PM
I hope the Cryboys made a huge error! I hope Choice and Jones don't pan out for them.

I am at a very difficult stage in my life. I decide who I hate the worst, New England, Baltimore, or Dallas? Oakland I can't hate anymore, I just pity them and enjoy the show of ineptitude.

Bye the way. I went from a walk on Waterboy on Sat to a Bench Warmer today. I gotta get a life.

tony hipchest
04-28-2008, 09:48 PM
kinda like when the cowboys passed on steven jackson for julius jones. no wonder theyre so pissed. lol

Lord Stiller
04-28-2008, 10:28 PM
if the Cowboys chose Mendenhall, i bet we would have taken Jenkins or tried to trade down of course

Hypocycloid
04-28-2008, 10:45 PM
if the Cowboys chose Mendenhall, i bet we would have taken Jenkins or tried to trade down of course

There is a great podcast of the Junker and Crow show on Monday at wtaeradio.com where Kevin Colbert talks a little about the draft strategy and they were thinking on trading down he said to 28 or 29 to get the guy they wanted. I think Jenkins would have been a good back as would Balmer.

Galax Steeler
04-29-2008, 03:36 AM
kinda like when the cowboys passed on steven jackson for julius jones. no wonder theyre so pissed. lol

They screwed thereselves on that deal and probably are going to wish they took mendenhall instead of jones this year.

TackleMeBen
04-29-2008, 06:36 AM
i am a member of a cowboys message board and they were livid saturday when jerry jones took felix jones over mendenhall... they were like what is jerry thinking..lol.. i guess we will see how well jerry did picking his new players on Dec.9:wink02:

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
04-29-2008, 07:37 AM
I like that Mendenhall is 19 pounds heavier and a shade faster.........
Why would they pick him

Lets hope in a few years were talking about what a bad decision Dallas made, not what a bad decision we made.......

But by the looks of things I think we made the right decision

steelreserve
04-29-2008, 11:50 AM
OK, but I don't see that as a make-or-break pick for the Cowboys. They should be fine at RB either way.

Who knows which of these guys will work out better in the NFL? Who ever knows? We all thought Reggie Bush was going to be breaking records by now, but so far he wasn't even the best RB in that draft.

Figuring out which of these two guys turns out to be the better pro is a roll of the dice, and I just hope it's our guy.

Dino 6 Rings
04-29-2008, 12:05 PM
I live in Arkansas and saw Felix and McFadden play for the last few years. Felix is a great 2nd string back. He's a work horse and he'll toe the company line and not complain about carries. He's fast and although he gets knocked for it, he is tough. He spent his time going against SEC Teams and did pretty darn good at it. And unlike McFadden, Felix didn't disappear in games. He was right there getting his 10 or so carries and gaining yards. He also is a potent return man. The Cowboys needed a good returner that can spell their RB late in games. I'd bet that he does just fine in the Blue and White and has a very good carreer.

I'd ask any Dallas Cowboy fan that hates this pick who they root for in college. If they say the Longhorns, their opinion is already disqualified because you might not know it living in the north, but Arkansas and Texas fans HATE each other. Like truly hate one another with a passion. Its an old South West Conference rivalry.

CanadianSteel
04-29-2008, 12:40 PM
Would be nice if this is payback for us trading with the Cowboys to draft Emmit Smith.
All because we had drafted Tim Woorley the year prior !

Maybe this is Karma llke when Big Ben fell to us at 11th pick... things work out for a reason...

jjpro11
04-29-2008, 01:08 PM
i thought they could have gotten a felix jones type back in rounds 3-4.. oh well.