PDA

View Full Version : Arians has plans

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
04-28-2008, 11:53 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08120/877467-66.stm

The NFL draft not only provided a rocket booster to the Steelers' offense, it might change part of their playbook. Get ready for the arrival of the Pony backfield, a concept that disappeared from the Steelers' playbook more than 15 years ago.

The idea of lining up two runners in the same backfield went out the window for the most part when Chuck Noll retired in 1991. Since then, the Steelers almost always paired a blocking fullback and a tailback, or deployed a one-back offense. The arrival of Illinois running back Rashard Mendenhall in the first round of the draft Saturday changed all that.

Bruce Arians -- who called Mendenhall a bigger, faster Edgerrin James -- said he will dust off the Pony backfield portion of the playbook he used in Cleveland and try it next season. Mendenhall and Fast Willie Parker in the same backfield at the same time should give defenses plenty to think about.

"Other than the normal one-two punch, they can play together," offensive coordinator Arians said yesterday. "Rashard has enough size as a pass blocker and pass receiver and Willie is improving in that area every year as a receiver."

The Steelers' most famous one-two running punch was Franco Harris and Rocky Bleier in the 1970s. They became only the second teammates to rush for 1,000 yards in the same season in 1976 (it has been done twice since then). The Steelers had running pairs in the same backfield later, such as Frank Pollard and Walter Abercrombie/Earnest Jackson, and Merril Hoge and Tim Worley. The running duo, though, was phased out under coach Bill Cowher, whose coordinators believed in one runner and a blocking fullback.

The Steelers, though, have not had two halfbacks with such pedigrees in a long time. Parker made the past two Pro Bowls and ran for more than 1,200 yards in each of the past three seasons. Mendenhall, the first halfback the Steelers drafted in the first round since Worley in 1989, rushed for 1,681 yards last season and caught 34 passes.

Each can block and catch well enough to make a go of it, Arians said.

"They could block for each other. Willie is capable. You're not going to ask him to lead on the linebacker, but he can handle certain things.

"Again, it'll be a package. It won't be the focal point of the offense because you'd beat the two guys up. But it gives you another package, and in the middle of the season if you lose somebody you have a package you can go to."

Understandably, Arians was overjoyed with the selections of Mendenhall (at No. 23) and wide receiver Limas Sweed (at No. 53) in the second round. The Steelers had those players rated much higher than they were taken.

"I was shocked," Arians said. "It was because of the run on linemen. People panicked. I called it a panic attack on offensive linemen. All of a sudden guys were trading away future picks and stuff to go get one of those tackles because this was the year to get a tackle. And when it happened, the tremendous skill guys dropped. Man, they were passing them up."

Arians was an assistant coach in Indianapolis when the Colts made James the fourth overall pick of the 1999 draft.

He said he rated Mendenhall "a bigger, faster Edgerrin James" and at 225 he can probably add another 5 pounds.

"He's 10 pounds heavier than Edge was and a tenth faster. He has those types of hands and power. Edge, I thought, did as good a job as anybody running the clock out, when he was in Indianapolis for sure. Being able to split out of the backfield is a unique kind of talent."

Parker said the week before the draft that adding another good running back might help extend his career by sharing the load.

"He extends Willie's career, for sure," Arians said. "And it's not like just taking Willie out of the game and putting in a sub, you're putting in a high-caliber guy, close to him, yet different."

Sweed gives the Steelers more depth, another deep threat and the kind of target Ben Roethlisberger wanted, not only a tall receiver at 6-foot-4 but one who has a wide range. Arians calls it the hula-hoop theory, a receiver who extends the area around him in which he can catch the ball. He said Hines Ward and Santonio Holmes also have that ability, in smaller packages.

"Then you don't have to put it on the money every time," Arians said. "You can throw a little behind on purpose -- this kid has that kind of talent."

The two electric additions to his offense should help strike that balance between the run and the pass and also make it more versatile, Arians said. And holding leads in the second half might just have become easier.

"There are a lot of ways to kill the clock; it's just a matter of making first downs," Arians said. "The sure-fire way is if you can beat somebody to death. We were able do that in September and October, and we were not able to do that in December and January for a number of reasons. It is something we were not accustomed to."

The NFL draft not only provided a rocket booster to the Steelers' offense, it might change part of their playbook. Get ready for the arrival of the Pony backfield, a concept that disappeared from the Steelers' playbook more than 15 years ago.

The idea of lining up two runners in the same backfield went out the window for the most part when Chuck Noll retired in 1991. Since then, the Steelers almost always paired a blocking fullback and a tailback, or deployed a one-back offense. The arrival of Illinois running back Rashard Mendenhall in the first round of the draft Saturday changed all that.

Bruce Arians -- who called Mendenhall a bigger, faster Edgerrin James -- said he will dust off the Pony backfield portion of the playbook he used in Cleveland and try it next season. Mendenhall and Fast Willie Parker in the same backfield at the same time should give defenses plenty to think about.

"Other than the normal one-two punch, they can play together," offensive coordinator Arians said yesterday. "Rashard has enough size as a pass blocker and pass receiver and Willie is improving in that area every year as a receiver."

The Steelers' most famous one-two running punch was Franco Harris and Rocky Bleier in the 1970s. They became only the second teammates to rush for 1,000 yards in the same season in 1976 (it has been done twice since then). The Steelers had running pairs in the same backfield later, such as Frank Pollard and Walter Abercrombie/Earnest Jackson, and Merril Hoge and Tim Worley. The running duo, though, was phased out under coach Bill Cowher, whose coordinators believed in one runner and a blocking fullback.

The Steelers, though, have not had two halfbacks with such pedigrees in a long time. Parker made the past two Pro Bowls and ran for more than 1,200 yards in each of the past three seasons. Mendenhall, the first halfback the Steelers drafted in the first round since Worley in 1989, rushed for 1,681 yards last season and caught 34 passes.

Each can block well enough and catch to make a go of it, Arians said.

"They could block for each other. Willie is capable. You're not going to ask him to lead on the linebacker, but he can handle certain things.

"Again, it'll be a package. It won't be the focal point of the offense because you'd beat the two guys up. But it gives you another package, and in the middle of the season if you lose somebody you have a package you can go to."

Understandably, Arians was overjoyed with the selections of Mendenhall (at No. 23) and wide receiver Limas Sweed (at No. 53) in the second round. The Steelers had those players rated much higher than they were taken.

"I was shocked," Arians said. "It was because of the run on linemen. People panicked. I called it a panic attack on offensive linemen. All of a sudden guys were trading away future picks and stuff to go get one of those tackles because this was the year to get a tackle. And when it happened, the tremendous skill guys dropped. Man, they were passing them up."

Arians was an assistant coach in Indianapolis when the Colts made James the fourth overall pick of the 1999 draft.

He said he rated Mendenhall "a bigger, faster Edgerrin James" and at 225 he can probably add another 5 pounds.

"He's 10 pounds heavier than Edge was and a tenth faster. He has those types of hands and power. Edge, I thought, did as good a job as anybody running the clock out, when he was in Indianapolis for sure. Being able to split out of the backfield is a unique kind of talent."

Parker said the week before the draft that adding another good running back might help extend his career by sharing the load.

"He extends Willie's career, for sure," Arians said. "And it's not like just taking Willie out of the game and putting in a sub, you're putting in a high-caliber guy, close to him, yet different."

Sweed gives the Steelers more depth, another deep threat and the kind of target Ben Roethlisberger wanted, not only a tall receiver at 6-4 but one who has a wide range. Arians calls it the hula-hoop theory, a receiver who extends the area around him in which he can catch the ball. He said Hines Ward and Santonio Holmes also have that ability, in smaller packages.

"Then you don't have to put it on the money every time," Arians said. "You can throw a little behind on purpose -- this kid has that kind of talent."

The two electric additions to his offense should help strike that balance between the run and the pass and also make it more versatile, Arians said. And holding leads in the second half might just have become easier.

"There are a lot of ways to kill the clock; it's just a matter of making first downs," Arians said. "The sure-fire way is if you can beat somebody to death. We were able do that in September and October, and we were not able to do that in December and January for a number of reasons. It is something we were not accustomed to."

Tankus_Maximus
04-28-2008, 11:58 PM
Giddy up Pony!!!

Black@Gold Forever32
04-29-2008, 12:35 AM
I love this idea....exciting times are ahead for us fans.....Whats the best way to help out the OL if it struggles to pass protect at times....Give the QB a bunch of weapons and creative schemes so the pass rush can't always tee off on your QB...

Steelman16
04-29-2008, 12:52 AM
It will be interesting, that's for sure. If nothing else, perhaps it will take some pressure off of Big Ben so he doesn't break his butt this year.

Galax Steeler
04-29-2008, 03:42 AM
I can't wait til season starts this is going to be an exiting season.

Steel Pit
04-29-2008, 03:49 AM
Yep, they used to call this formation "split backs". It used to be very common.

stillers4me
04-29-2008, 05:47 AM
This just might be the boost we needed to get us through the tough schedule ahead of us. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm so pumped!! :tt02:

Elvis
04-29-2008, 05:53 AM
I can't wait til season starts this is going to be an exiting season.
I agree with ya bud.. this is gonna be exciting season. But I really dont see this duo being on the field at the same time all the time.
:noidea:

k7brown
04-29-2008, 06:44 AM
I love it!!!! I am pumped!!! Cant the season just start now?!?!?!?!? GO STEELERS!!!

stlrtruck
04-29-2008, 08:09 AM
Just remember last year Arians promised a changed offense and I didn't see a lot of the change he spoke of in the off-season.

I'd love to see it happen but the truth of the matter is that I'll rant about it when I see it on the field during a regular game. Pre-season means nothing.

Steeldude
04-29-2008, 08:35 AM
one question, who is going to be opening holes for the RBs?

Mosca
04-29-2008, 08:36 AM
Nice article, thanks for sharing!

Nice article, thanks for sharing!

:flap:

TackleMeBen
04-29-2008, 09:17 AM
that wonderful Offensive Line we have.. you know the one that got Ben killed last year...lol :chuckle:

atlsteelers
04-29-2008, 09:27 AM
The offensive line will be fine. good running backs can find the holes. I am stoked over the possiblilty of parker and mendehal in the backfield together or just giving each other a chance to take a breather. i am excited to see that sweed fell to us too. i am tired of seeing washington drop tds.

TackleMeBen
04-29-2008, 09:30 AM
i am tired of seeing washington drop tds
you know it wasnt washington's fault he dropped those TDs.. it was willie's fault..lol:sofunny:

lilyoder6
04-29-2008, 09:33 AM
this could be a great package... they won't know who to go to wheter fwp or rashard.. they could do a double screen out of the backfield and ben choses which way to go right or left

Steelerfreak58
04-29-2008, 09:33 AM
September can't get here fast enough. I really think this has been on of the best drafts the Steelers have had in a long time.

Jeremy
04-29-2008, 09:39 AM
I think we're going to see an "SEC" style offense where you have weapons all over the field.

tony hipchest
04-29-2008, 09:40 AM
one question, who is going to be opening holes for the RBs?matt spaeth.

havent you heard? hes a beast.

memphissteelergirl
04-29-2008, 09:42 AM
Giddy up Pony!!!

:chuckle:

Yeah....this is gonna be fun!

TackleMeBen
04-29-2008, 09:42 AM
I think we're going to see an "SEC" style offense where you have weapons all over the field.
yes, but what good are those weapons going to be if ben is laying on his rear b/c the OLine couldnt block? i truely hope that hartwig is the missing piece and that the OL will be better this year.

k7brown
04-29-2008, 09:46 AM

Even with the 'horrible' offensive line that we had last season... Ben still managed to have a career year, and Willie was leading the league in rushing, up until his injury...

(Dont get me wrong, I wasnt too pleased with the OL last season, either.)

TackleMeBen
04-29-2008, 09:52 AM
Even with the 'horrible' offensive line that we had last season... Ben still managed to have a career year, and Willie was leading the league in rushing, up until his injury...

(Dont get me wrong, I wasnt too pleased with the OL last season, either.)
b/c ben wanted that new big contract..lol :chuckle:

LVSteelersfan
04-29-2008, 10:13 AM
Hartwig is going to be the key. If he can stay healthy, he will anchor that line and the guards and tackles can handle their own responsibilities instead of trying to cover up the joke at Center called Mahan. Keep the faith. Last year's woes will not resurface. I just hope Arians and Tomlin get their heads out of their butts on second down this year so we don't have so many negative yardage plays that put us in third and long all the time. I think Mewelde Moore will be a pleasant surprise as well. Just another back in the arsenal to fool those Patsies and Cowgirls.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-29-2008, 11:21 AM

The O line and misdirection by Ben.

I have coached this type of split back offense and against it before. It doesnt give you the advantage of a FB in the I formation, but it brings the RB's closer to the LOS which means they hit holes faster and by having the QB reverse pivot you can confuse LB's first reads.

Think of any 70's tape where Bradshaw reverse pivots and hands to Rocky Blier who suddenly bursts thru a seam in the O-line and is in the 2nd level.

A quick block by the O lineman and Parker or Mendenhall is loose in the 2nd level.....If the defense packs the gaps....fast Willie gets to run outside. It could be briliant and drive D-coordinators crazy!!

BettisFan
04-29-2008, 11:24 AM
we are going to have an amazing year on the ground

Dino 6 Rings
04-29-2008, 11:43 AM
Tick Tock Tick Tock THE SEASON CAN NOT GET HERE SOON ENOUGH!!!

I can't wait to see us destroy the Texans game 1. I hope he beat them so badly they decide to move the team to Alaska!

Dino 6 Rings
04-29-2008, 11:46 AM
btw...how many folks do this in Madden or NCAA on the XBox/PS3. You swap out your Fullback when you go with the Pro Set, with two RBs next to or behind the QB. You have 2 times as many running options and the LBs can't just focus on one back the entire time. We barely gave the ball to the FB, so the LBs just shot to the hole and ignored Dan K the entire time. Once in a blue moon he'd get a carry and get 4 yards. Now, with 2 guys very capable of getting tons of yards, the LBs will have to be honest to their assignments.

Seriously...sux to be a D-Coordinator for the Bengals or Browns. How's the housing market in Ohio these days, cause they will be looking for new jobs out of state once we get done with those to pretenders. And the Ravens. Yeah, go ahead and put in Flacco against our defense. I Dare You.

BettisFan
04-29-2008, 02:04 PM
anyone else think we could have two of the top leading rushers in the nfl!? Its amazing how we have two probowl caliber backs.
\
"The Steelers' most famous one-two running punch was Franco Harris and Rocky Bleier in the 1970s. They became only the second teammates to rush for 1,000 yards in the same season in 1976 (it has been done twice since then). The Steelers had running pairs in the same backfield later, such as Frank Pollard and Walter Abercrombie/Earnest Jackson, and Merril Hoge and Tim Worley. The running duo, though, was phased out under coach Bill Cowher, whose coordinators believed in one runner and a blocking fullback.

Mabey willie and rashard can do it?!

msafford
04-29-2008, 03:03 PM
you know it wasnt washington's fault he dropped those TDs.. it was willie's fault..lol:sofunny:

Actually...if we would have kept John Kuhn, Nate wouldn't have dropped those passes. Get it right....jeez. :flap:

TackleMeBen
04-29-2008, 03:11 PM
Actually...if we would have kept John Kuhn, Nate wouldn't have dropped those passes. Get it right....jeez. :flap:
sorry, i keep forgetting about Kuhn... :banging:

Sharkissle29
04-29-2008, 05:24 PM
anyone knows what this package actually looks like? i wasnt around when the steelers utilized it

-----X (QB)

X------- X

sry for the lines, its the only way i could get it to show up correctly..is this it?

OneForTheToe
04-29-2008, 05:28 PM
What is Arain doing yaking about the Steelers?:noidea: I thought Atlanta Dan and others had fired him already?:flap::wink02:

Steeldude
04-29-2008, 06:38 PM
The offensive line will be fine. good running backs can find the holes. I am stoked over the possiblilty of parker and mendehal in the backfield together or just giving each other a chance to take a breather. i am excited to see that sweed fell to us too. i am tired of seeing washington drop tds.

hmm...many call bettis a good RB. if the steelers line didn't open a hole he was dropped.

i recall defenders almost stealing the handoff on a few plays. hopefully the O-line improves 200%.

these drops by washington are blown out of proportion. i see holmes drop just as many. i have also seen him bailout on passes ala burress

OneForTheToe
04-29-2008, 06:42 PM
anyone knows what this package actually looks like? i wasnt around when the steelers utilized it

-----X (QB)

X------- X

sry for the lines, its the only way i could get it to show up correctly..is this it?

If I remember correctly, when Franco and Rock ran it they were indeed split backs usually. However, in the case now, I wouldn't be surprised to see other formations out of this combination. For example, I still think Willie would create match-up problems for teams if he was put in motion or split out to the end of the line, since defenses would still have to respect the between the tackles running game with Rashard. Willie may not have the greatest hands in the league but he sure knows what to do if he catches it in space. This might also slow down the pass rush a skosh.

Petesburgh66
04-29-2008, 10:22 PM
Just remember last year Arians promised a changed offense and I didn't see a lot of the change he spoke of in the off-season.

I'd love to see it happen but the truth of the matter is that I'll rant about it when I see it on the field during a regular game. Pre-season means nothing.

I agree. Talk is cheap.

Haiku_Dirtt
04-30-2008, 02:26 AM
I love this idea....exciting times are ahead for us fans.....Whats the best way to help out the OL if it struggles to pass protect at times....Give the QB a bunch of weapons and creative schemes so the pass rush can't always tee off on your QB...

Exactly. No way in hell we improve the line this year. So let's throw gas on the fire.

If Eldin Campbell could have played with Shaq...

Most east coasters have no idea how well Dixon can play football. If you told me a year ago that he'd be in B&G... Shucks

THIS is where Tomlin can begin the impact. Get these guys to play football NOT a POSITION.

Haiku_Dirtt
04-30-2008, 02:32 AM
I agree. Talk is cheap.

This roster of offensive lineman is Cowher's legacy. How Arians is responsible for Starks, Simmons, Kemo et al is dumb founding. Marvel Smith got a fat contract with Bill too. What's up with his injury?

Lay off Tomlin and Arians for that matter. I'm shocked we netted so well on offense last season.

Galax Steeler
04-30-2008, 03:50 AM
I think our offensive line will play better this year remove mahan from center and put him in his natural position plus they have another year of experience under there belts.

sixstringlass
04-30-2008, 04:35 AM

My Dad's been asking about this for years...

Kaeg
04-30-2008, 05:50 AM
Two 1000 yd rushers! Woohoo! :chuckle: I love the sound of that. I actually don't think it will happen tho, with all the fire power we have in the air. We just gotta show some love to them too!

TackleMeBen
04-30-2008, 06:46 AM
Two 1000 yd rushers! Woohoo! :chuckle: I love the sound of that. I actually don't think it will happen tho, with all the fire power we have in the air. We just gotta show some love to them too!
we know that ben is a gunslinger and with all those WRs and especially with Sweed he will be wanting to throw the ball like crazy...

moedap
04-30-2008, 08:36 AM
I just hope Arians develops a consistent offensive scheme/philosophy which can be taught and understood by the players so that they execute it with bad intentions for defenses. I dont want him experimenting.

TackleMeBen
04-30-2008, 08:42 AM
you mean no more run run throw plays??? what fun is that going to be now..lol:chuckle:

Glace
04-30-2008, 09:24 AM
I think all the people calling for Arians to be fired last year are going to be stuffing their face with humble pie this year...Followed by a frosty glass of STHU!!

Arians knows what he's doing. I can't wait to see the offense this year!!!

steelymcmatt
05-01-2008, 08:47 AM
that wonderful Offensive Line we have.. you know the one that got Ben killed last year...lol :chuckle:

The O-line that was blocking for the #1 rusher for most of the season until he went down with an injury.....

lilyoder6
05-01-2008, 09:09 AM
at least we were not the kc cheifs last yr.. there plan was r2 p2 "run run pass punt"

i think again willie gets over 1,000 yrd and rashard will get at least 500 yrds.. and 300 rec yrds..

FSUBoo
05-02-2008, 01:06 AM
I think this will be our most dynamic offense that we have seen in years. We will be a very good offense. We were pretty good on offense last year, and this just improves things and gives us more options. We will have another RB to pick up some of the carries. And we will have another Red Zone weapon to go along with Heath Miller.

Steel Pit
05-02-2008, 01:45 AM
I think all the people calling for Arians to be fired last year are going to be stuffing their face with humble pie this year...Followed by a frosty glass of STHU!!

Arians knows what he's doing. I can't wait to see the offense this year!!!

Yeah, I'm sure that Arians knew all along that the Steelers were going to land both Mendenhall and Sweed in this years draft thus he held his tongue knowing that his critics were going to be served a big ole helping of crow after the 2008 campaign.

Nice try though.

JanBr7
05-02-2008, 08:49 AM
Well, one thing we can debate with great glee is the offensive line!

I have already expressed many thoughts on that and even written a blog about it, so why bother repeating it all here. But in summary in my humble opinion the o-line is going to be fine and has the potential to be great.

They found a new center, and as long as he can do what the Steelers expect him to do, it's an automatic improvement. Faneca was the best, but last year he was a short-timer and although he was professional about the passion wasn't there. The key for this year's o-line will be to have Tomlin decide on a group and let them work together and gel as a unit.

And my final thought -- some of those sacks were because Ben holds the ball too long and I am not criticizing Ben. Like you guys said, he's a gunslinger -- he wants to make the big play, and more often than not he does. Ben has frequently said he is not worried about the line and if he was, we'd hear about it in one of his 'weaker' moments with the press. So if the one man who has the most to lose if the o-line stinks isn't worried -- well, maybe we shouldn't be either.

Just some thoughts to stir the pot!

TackleMeBen
05-02-2008, 08:54 AM
Well, one thing we can debate with great glee is the offensive line!

I have already expressed many thoughts on that and even written a blog about it, so why bother repeating it all here. But in summary in my humble opinion the o-line is going to be fine and has the potential to be great.

They found a new center, and as long as he can do what the Steelers expect him to do, it's an automatic improvement. Faneca was the best, but last year he was a short-timer and although he was professional about the passion wasn't there. The key for this year's o-line will be to have Tomlin decide on a group and let them work together and gel as a unit.

And my final thought -- some of those sacks were because Ben holds the ball too long and I am not criticizing Ben. Like you guys said, he's a gunslinger -- he wants to make the big play, and more often than not he does. Ben has frequently said he is not worried about the line and if he was, we'd hear about it in one of his 'weaker' moments with the press. So if the one man who has the most to lose if the o-line stinks isn't worried -- well, maybe we shouldn't be either.

Just some thoughts to stir the pot!

1. yes i am quite sure ben would have let it 'slip' that he thinks the oline stinks if it really does.. he does have a tendency to say things he shouldnt.

2. i am going to have to believe him when he says that the oline is going to be fine..and i will do so until he is sacked like 50 times this up coming year..lol..

3. i hope that hartwig is the missing piece to the oline. mahan just sucked last year.. i couldnt tell you how many times i wanted to hit him upside the head with my wok :wink02:

Steeldude
05-02-2008, 09:09 AM
it's sad when your most valuable offensive lineman is a 30 year old LT with a bad back.

Steelerfreak58
05-02-2008, 09:19 AM
Mahan did suck at center last year but to be fair and honest he hadn't really played there much before and he is primarily guard material. Maybe he will show his worth at the Guard position and become the next best thing since Fanaca prior to his crying because Whiz didn't get hired as HC.

I know its the pros and all but putting Mahan in at Center when he was bread to be a guard doesn't seem fair especially if he doesn't get a second season at that position to prove himself. Don't get me wrong I would rather see him move over to guard and leave center for Justin but moving into a different position does take adjustment time.

I am just praying that the O-Line plays 20% better then last year and if they do we are Super Bowl Bound. Look how bad they preformed last year and look how far we got just on pure talent and all of the outside factors besides the O-Line.

tony hipchest
05-02-2008, 09:19 AM
it's sad when your most valuable offensive lineman is a 30 year old LT with a bad back.
we will be 2X worse than the texans and dolphins put together.

actually dolphins drafted long so they might be 5X better than us by themselves.

lilyoder6
05-02-2008, 09:43 AM
our line did well in the running game since willie was leading 4 the rushing title.. yes they sucked in the passing game but kinda of hard to pass block when ur center gets blown up almost evry play

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-02-2008, 11:49 AM

Its even sadder when the only comments you can think of are negative.

JanBr7
05-02-2008, 11:52 AM
we will be 2X worse than the texans and dolphins put together.

actually dolphins drafted long so they might be 5X better than us by themselves.

Now that's just funny. I'll have to look and see how great the dolphins o-line was last year to make you think they'll be five times better than us this year. Wow.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-02-2008, 12:10 PM
Now that's just funny. I'll have to look and see how great the dolphins o-line was last year to make you think they'll be five times better than us this year. Wow.

Yeah, 5 times is a stretch. I do think they will be a real good line though. Parcells knows that is how to build a team and he was in the great position of having no choice but to blow it up and start from scratch.

Just like its sometimes easier to tear down a beat up old house and rebuild it from the foundation up.....same thing with a lousy football team.

Steeldude
05-02-2008, 01:39 PM
Its even sadder when the only comments you can think of are negative.

sorry, i can't be a mindless lemming like yourself :thumbsup:

in your mind how many SBs have the steelers won? 12, 18, 20...?

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-02-2008, 01:52 PM
sorry, i can't be a mindless lemming like yourself :thumbsup:

in your mind how many SBs have the steelers won? 12, 18, 20...?

I knew you would have something like that in a comeback. Sorry for the hack, but I was just feeling like it from reading all the negative stuff on the board.

No lemming here, just an objective realist that really knows the O line isnt as bad as we make it out to be....but have done no favors for 2009 and beyond by just drafting Hills, paying Starks $7mil, and getting Hartwig as the great plan.

Last I can remember is I have only been alive for 5 SB wins and had to suffer watching Terry Hanratty, Cliff Stoudt, Mark Malone, David Woodley, Bubby, Kordell, etc play QB, but never preferred to wallow in the loss of Franco Harris to Seattle,but instead look forward to what Frank Pollard could do to replace him.

SteelerFanInCA
05-02-2008, 02:14 PM
I'm really looking forward to seeing what Arians has installed. Should be an exciting up and coming season.

Hypocycloid
05-02-2008, 04:24 PM
Tick Tock Tick Tock THE SEASON CAN NOT GET HERE SOON ENOUGH!!!

I can't wait to see us destroy the Texans game 1. I hope he beat them so badly they decide to move the team to Alaska!

I would love to see a team in Alaska. That would give new definition to the term ice-bowl. The TV ratings would be out of this world for bad weather games. The only problem I could see would be managing a parking lot full of dogs sleds. Awesome.

Steeldude
05-02-2008, 09:10 PM
just an objective realist that really knows the O line isnt as bad as we make it out to be....but have done no favors for 2009 and beyond by just drafting Hills, paying Starks $7mil, and getting Hartwig as the great plan.

i am merely pointing out that the best O-lineman we have happens to be smith. this needs to be addressed sooner rather than later. i don't expect the line to be full of stars, but one would be nice.

hopefully kemo will show something. he seems to have the tools, but the mental part is slowing him. at least he won't be shoved around so easily. what's scary is if he does really well he will most likely be lost to FA.

i am assuming the steelers have given the starting RT spot to starks, for now. i always thought he would do better and be more comfortable at the LT spot. he looked to be doing well last year up until the injury.

mahan is an expensive benchwarmer. do you think the steelers will release him to open some cap room later?

IMO, hills appears to a walking injury waiting to happen.

hey, no harm foul. we are steelers' fans through thick and thin :drink:

Rhee Rhee
05-03-2008, 03:26 AM
o gosh 4-5 months ago everyone was yelling "Fire arians!"

yet now everyone's just excited of what he can come up with...

amazing what time and a good draft can do for you...

SteelerFanInATL
05-04-2008, 03:54 PM
Looking forward to see how both backs will be used. Even better yet seeing them used at the same time.

revefsreleets
05-04-2008, 06:20 PM
o gosh 4-5 months ago everyone was yelling "Fire arians!"

yet now everyone's just excited of what he can come up with...

amazing what time and a good draft can do for you...

Oh, I wouldn't be too hasty. First time the Steelers call a run play on 1st down (even if it's a Big Ben audible), the "Fire Arians" chants will light right back up.

rich4eagle
05-04-2008, 07:05 PM
The O line and misdirection by Ben.

I have coached this type of split back offense and against it before. It doesnt give you the advantage of a FB in the I formation, but it brings the RB's closer to the LOS which means they hit holes faster and by having the QB reverse pivot you can confuse LB's first reads.

Think of any 70's tape where Bradshaw reverse pivots and hands to Rocky Blier who suddenly bursts thru a seam in the O-line and is in the 2nd level.

A quick block by the O lineman and Parker or Mendenhall is loose in the 2nd level.....If the defense packs the gaps....fast Willie gets to run outside. It could be briliant and drive D-coordinators crazy!!

Interesting take I am a firm believer that schmes and skill positions make the OL and not vice versa........and the OL is more cohesion than anything else........maybe we need to address who the OL coach is not the players followed by O coord Arians

TackleMeBen
05-04-2008, 07:16 PM
how about i start it now..lol

FIRE ARIANS.. HE SUCKS!!! HE DOESNT KNOW WHAT HE IS DOING!!!!:chuckle::chuckle:

and just for fun... Bench Ben and put in Charlie... WE WANT CHARLIE WE WANT CHARLIE!!!!:sofunny::sofunny:

Steel Pit
05-05-2008, 12:35 AM
How did this turn into an Arians post? Why is he receiving praise? Hell, one would think that Arians was SOLELY responsible for this draft. Lets see how the offense plays before we start giving Arians a ton a praise for production that "you believe" is going to occur.

I will say this, with the offensive weapons that the Steelers have in place, THE OFFENSE HAD BETTER BE HIGHLY-PRODUCTIVE.

Steeldude
05-05-2008, 01:02 AM
I will say this, with the offensive weapons that the Steelers have in place, THE OFFENSE HAD BETTER BE HIGHLY-PRODUCTIVE.

you have to wait and see if they are going to be weapons in the NFL. can they make the transition from college to the pros? let's hope :smile:

Haiku_Dirtt
05-05-2008, 01:12 AM

Exactly. We had a better chance of installing a peace accord in Gaza then we did trying to improve our O-line this season.

We've gone from a dismal .500 to a pretty damn exciting .500 team.

Let's talk about IF's. If Eldin Campbell would have been willing to play with Shaq then we might have witnessed a domination rare to the NBA even with Kobe as a side kick.

I know the skepticism in PA runs deep when it comes to Dixon. But if Dennis Dixon can learn to cope with Ben as the starter learn to be a football player first -then mark these words. What Bruce Arians has at his fingertips could be lethal.

And what better way to give the o-line some relief is watching their defensive counterparts chasing our dust.

And Mendenhall...as other NFL GM's scrambled in scary markets KC stayed poised and grabbed the best RB for us.