PDA

View Full Version : What if the '08 lineup looks like this?

Elvis
04-29-2008, 04:54 PM
Offensive Starters

QB Ben Roethlisburger
RB Willie Parker
WR Santonio Holmes
SR Hines Ward
TE Heath Miller
LT Marvell Smith
LG Chris Keomateau
C Justin Hartwig
RG Kendall Simmons
RT Max Starks
WR Limas Sweed

Yep, a 3 WR set. That looks pretty darn good to me. I just hope that Kemo and Starks and Hartwig are the upgrades that the Steelers front office thinks that they are gonna be.
What Ya'll Think About This Lineup?

19ward86
04-29-2008, 05:32 PM
That will probably be the main setup, but remember they are the steelers so carey davis will still be in to block a lot. Also look out for dennis dixon to line up in the slot.

Elvis
04-29-2008, 05:35 PM
Yeah, Dixon might end up there every now and then but I think this would be a great lineup to start the season off with.

Dino 6 Rings
04-29-2008, 05:43 PM
I don't think Dixon gets in at slot this season, but may see some "wildcat" formation play late in games that we already have locked up during the year. He and Mendenhall are both spread formation type guys.

It'll be all about Ben throwing, Willie Running, Ward Catching, Holmes Scoring, and Mendenhall hammering. With Moore catching out of the backfield, Sweed coming in during Redzone Sets and our O-Line blocking their tales off.

JanBr7
04-29-2008, 06:01 PM
And when you look at it that way, the o-line doesn't look quite so bad. Seriously: New center, Max (who will live up to his 6 mil dollars), Keoma (who the coaches are pumped up about), Marvel (we already know he's good), and Kendall.

Seriously. Why are we worried.

Dylan
04-29-2008, 06:39 PM
how about willie colon at LG instead of kemateau

slippy
04-29-2008, 06:56 PM
if hartwig can be even slightly above average at center, then i LOVE this lineup. good center play should help our guards.

i see parker and mendenhall splitting downs about 75/25 by the end of the season.

and don't forget about the two tight end set with mendenhall in the backfield!

BettisFan
04-29-2008, 06:57 PM
SUPERBOWL!!

Black@Gold Forever32
04-29-2008, 07:01 PM
Washington will be the 3rd WR.....He has the edge in NFL experience and knowing the play-book...I think Sweed will get some playing time but I don't expect him as the 3rd WR just yet...

BaddBoi70
04-29-2008, 07:12 PM
If MT is smart, they hold Sweed out until he is absolutely 100% recovered. Allow him to provide much needed relief to our WR's at the end of the season. I doubt that Marvel Smith will be same LT from his previous years. Remember he iscoming off back surgery! I think Trai Essex gets the shot at LT and Colon may move to LG with Starks playing RT.

Our RED ZONE offense has a TON of weapons, especially with Miller and Spaeth and now Sweed - that is some serious height advantages over coverage corners! Throw in the "flash" play of Dixon and we have some serious potency :)

I LOVE what we have to work with on the offensive side of the ball. My concern remains our depth on the "D" side, especially at CB!

millwalldavey
04-29-2008, 07:12 PM
SUPERBOWL!!

Could be!!!!!

Steeldude
04-29-2008, 07:30 PM
smith - probably won't make it through the season healthy

kemo - has he learned the playbook yet?

hartwig - most likely better than mahan

simmons - lmao

starks - got beat out by a rookie who couldn't play RT either. starks has yet to show he can play RT. for $6 mil he better prove he can and quick.

Steeldude
04-29-2008, 07:34 PM
i would place simmons at LG. he is the steelers quickest G. don't the steelers do more pulling from the LG spot?

LT - starks
LG - simmons
C - hartwig
RG - kemo/colon
RT - smith

VTsteel
04-29-2008, 07:48 PM
And when you look at it that way, the o-line doesn't look quite so bad. Seriously: New center, Max (who will live up to his 6 mil dollars), Keoma (who the coaches are pumped up about), Marvel (we already know he's good), and Kendall.

I personally am not worried so much about our starting line-up this year . . . I'm more worried about our depth and age at OT and Center. I believe this is Marvel's last with the Steelers (he is 30 and has back issues) - And Hartwig is a 3 year "stop-gap" (He'll be 29 in November and the only true Center on the team). My concern is that past Colon and Mahan . . . We may not have anyone to fill potential voids. Stapelton? Capizi? Essex? Lentz? Parquet? Hill? Is one of them the Answer?

Galax Steeler
04-30-2008, 04:25 AM
I can see some gadget playes a coming with dixon and I just hope with what we have and what we drafted our touchdowns will increase this year.

Hapa
04-30-2008, 06:07 PM
Do you really think they'll have Ward as the 2nd WR?

lilyoder6
04-30-2008, 07:13 PM
don't forget about davis being the fb.. he'll be better and show us y we chose him over dan... and then having speath at our disposal and the good nate.. i love our off... just can't wait til madden comes out so i can take it 4 a test run

Elvis
04-30-2008, 07:44 PM
On defense is a little more settled at most positions and what set/alignment we will be using.

DE Aaron Smith (Defensive MVP)
DT Casey Hampton
DE Brett Keisel ?

OLB Lamar Woodley
ILB Larry Foote
ILB James Farrior
OLB James Harrison

DB Ike Taylor
FS ( Who is gonna be here?)
SS Troy Polomalu
DB Deshea Townsend (can he keep his job?)

I just dont know about our FS position. I know Smith was there for a while but he didnt do anything to cement himself for the starting job this upcoming season. I wish that the Steelers would have gotten someone to take Keisels' spot as well. I would love to see William Gay get some more regular season action as well.

HometownGal
04-30-2008, 09:12 PM
Washington will be the 3rd WR.....He has the edge in NFL experience and knowing the play-book...I think Sweed will get some playing time but I don't expect him as the 3rd WR just yet...

I have to agree with you here B@GF32. The kid is going to be terrific, no doubt about it, but he has a lot to learn and digest in his first season in the big league.

I'll probably get stoned for saying this, but it's just an opinion - don't totally count out Mahan at the G position. He played well as a G for the majority of his career and though obviously he isn't cut out to be a starting C, I'd really like him to be given a shot at showing what he can do as a starting G.

verks36
04-30-2008, 09:26 PM

Why our we worried... Last season ben was running for his life and he had more sacks than 46 of the dudes on this forum put together. It is basically the same line last year exept we added a new center and lost of the steelers best O-LINEMEN OF ALL TIME!!!!
That is why I am worried

But seriously Sweed isnt even going to be number 3 on the depth chart by the time the season starts. Not saying that by the end of the season sweed wont be 3rd maybe even starting but no why will that be our starting lineup for the season. It might be a package we use but no starting lineup.

fansince'76
04-30-2008, 09:30 PM
It is basically the same line last year exept we added a new center and lost of the steelers best O-LINEMEN OF ALL TIME!!!!

Not even close - Webster and Dirt Dawson were better, IMO. Best OG the Steelers ever had, maybe, but not the best O-lineman.

tony hipchest
04-30-2008, 09:35 PM
im sure it will look like a big pile of najeh, considering we wont have atleast 6 rookie offensive and defensive linemen sitting on the bench to learn the game.

verks36
04-30-2008, 09:55 PM
Not even close - Webster and Dirt Dawson were better, IMO. Best OG the Steelers ever had, maybe, but not the best O-lineman.

Sorry that came out of my computer wrong I meant to see one of the best steelers linemen or all time

steelymcmatt
05-01-2008, 09:34 AM
Offensive Starters

QB Ben Roethlisburger
RB Willie Parker
WR Santonio Holmes
SR Hines Ward
TE Heath Miller
LT Marvell Smith
LG Chris Keomateau
C Justin Hartwig
RG Kendall Simmons
RT Max Starks
WR Limas Sweed

Yep, a 3 WR set. That looks pretty darn good to me. I just hope that Kemo and Starks and Hartwig are the upgrades that the Steelers front office thinks that they are gonna be.
What Ya'll Think About This Lineup?

I like it a little better like this:

QB Ben Roethlisburger
RB Willie Parker
RB Rashard Mendenhall
SR Hines Ward
TE Heath Miller
LT Marvell Smith
LG Chris Keomateau
C Justin Hartwig
RG Kendall Simmons
RT Max Starks
TE Matt Spaeth

LETS GET BACK TO STEELERS POWER FOOTBALL!

SteelersTilIDie
05-02-2008, 06:20 PM
they are talkin about movin mahan into the guard slot

Crushzilla
05-02-2008, 06:44 PM
I like it a little better like this:

QB Ben Roethlisburger
RB Willie Parker
RB Rashard Mendenhall
SR Hines Ward
TE Heath Miller
LT Marvell Smith
LG Chris Keomateau
C Justin Hartwig
RG Kendall Simmons
RT Max Starks
TE Matt Spaeth

LETS GET BACK TO STEELERS POWER FOOTBALL!

This would be a nice PACKAGE, but no way this is the default. Unfortunately, Power Football is dead, not just here in Pittsburgh. A team can have a power running game, but it cannot be the constant.

Look at our opponent's scores the last 5 games of the season: 34, 29, 24, 27, 31.

they are talkin about movin mahan into the guard slot

Mahan IS a Guard. The center experiment was a debacle, but that doesn't mean he can't play Guard. He can. We shouldn't throw him under the bus because he couldn't play center as well as Iron Mike, Dirt, and Hartings.

I'm not saying you are, but he is.

JanBr7
05-02-2008, 06:48 PM
I know Ben was running for his life, and they o-line has to do better. But most of these guys have been starting for four or more years now. And Mahan as the center was the worst part of all this -- hopefully we have an upgrade there.

And -- just a thought -- Watch the games again (I have them all on DVD and watch them once in a while, just because I am insane) -- Ben is best under pressure. What if being on the run, under pressure, flushed from the pocket -- what if that makes him a better player? I mean, he just rules in those circumstances, again and again.

And a comment about human nature -- if you take away what makes a man great, you may not like what you get.

Again, just some ideas to stir the conversation up a bit.

Rhee Rhee
05-03-2008, 04:42 AM
how about willie colon at LG instead of kemateau

amen.

but im sure kemateau could fill in for both simmons and colon if one of them were to get hurt..

SteelerFanInATL
05-04-2008, 05:04 PM
I agree that Sweed will not be the #3 WR although it will be interesting to see how he gets his PT. He will definately be used once we get into the redzone. Maybe late in the year a 3 WR set will consist of Ward, Holmes, and Sweed.