PDA

View Full Version : Dynamic Dixon intrigues Steelers

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-30-2008, 04:20 AM
Dynamic Dixon intrigues Steelers
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, April 30, 2008

He piled up 368 yards of total offense and accounted for four touchdowns. He led Oregon to a 39-7 shellacking of Michigan in front of more than 100,000 fans as well as a national TV audience.
Dennis Dixon thrust himself into the Heisman Trophy race with that performance last September -- and into the consciousness of Steelers director of football operations Kevin Colbert.

"The first thing I thought about was Vince Young," said Colbert, who saw Dixon play extensively for the first time against Michigan. "He was winning that game by himself."

The Steelers, who took Dixon in the fifth round of the NFL Draft on Sunday, won't ask the 23-year-old quarterback to win any games in the near future. They are optimistic that eventually he can back up Ben Roethlisberger, a role the 33-year-old Charlie Batch has filled so capably, and get on the field in select situations.

It is, however, too early for the Steelers to know if they uncovered a late-round gem in Dixon -- or whether they stumbled onto another Omar Jacobs (the fifth-round pick in 2006 never made the team).

Making it all the more difficult for the Steelers to assess what they have in Dixon: He is still recovering from the major knee injury that ended his senior season.

The 6-3 1/2, 206-pounder will be limited in the minicamp practices that start Friday and run through Sunday. But Dixon, who had surgery on his left knee in December, said he is "ahead of schedule" in his rehabilitation.

The Steelers, meanwhile, felt good enough about the reports they got from their medical personnel regarding Dixon that they didn't hesitate to take him with the 156th pick of the draft.

Had Dixon not torn his ACL, he would have been selected much earlier.

He is a gifted athlete and polished passer -- Dixon completed almost 68 percent of his passes last season -- and he had been one of the frontrunners for the Heisman before going down late in the season.

"He has great physical talent," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said. "He can run, he has a strong arm, and he is coming to a great situation where he can grow behind two people like Ben and Charlie."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Draft picks by the numbers
Here are the jersey numbers for the seven players the Steelers drafted last weekend:

2 -- QB Dennis Dixon

14 -- WR Limas Sweed

29 -- S Ryan Mundy

34 -- RB Rashard Mendenhall

53 -- LB Bruce Davis

55 -- LB Mike Humpal

66 -- OT Tony Hills

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_564939.html

Galax Steeler
04-30-2008, 04:39 AM
I hope dixon does well and learns the system so he can back up ben when charlie retires he will also be good on some trick plays as well.

Steeldude
04-30-2008, 09:41 AM
I hope dixon does well and learns the system so he can back up ben when charlie retires he will also be good on some trick plays as well.

gee joy, another kordell experiment :banging: when will people learn?

stlrtruck
04-30-2008, 10:16 AM
gee joy, another kordell experiment :banging: when will people learn?

Kordell did not embrace his role on the Steelers roster. And he attempted to prove to everyone, including himself that he was a traditional NFL QB. Truth of the matter is that Kordell was not, therefore he failed.

If Dixon embraces whatever role the Steelers have for him, and he relies on his true athletic ability then he has a better chance of success than Kordell did.

It's not an experiment, he's a draft pick at QB that has talents that could benefit this team in a different way.

DACEB
04-30-2008, 10:43 AM
I'm not sure how I feel about this pick. I suppose it could go in a few directions.

First, isn't this kid signed by the Braves to play baseball?

Second, will he actually embrace a slash role? Not many college QBs are ready or willing to take on that role in the pros, unless they have no other options. This kid has other options.

Third, would be him coming in willing to learn behind Ben and Batch, and willing to do whatever is neccessary to help the team win in that slash role.

This kid would be a great backup with his athleticism, I'm just not sure he will be willing to do all that we would like to see him do. Hopefully he prefers football to baseball and is truly a team player. I'm just not so sure.

rbryan
04-30-2008, 10:47 AM
Put all the lipstick you want on this pig, it's still a waste of a pick. There were several OL,DL prospects available that may have actually contributed somewhere down the road. Dixon will be long gone in two years and the only reason he lasts till then is because he'll be on injured reserve this year.

BTW, you can forget about the notion that this guy is the next slash.

BlastFurnace
04-30-2008, 11:50 AM
Put all the lipstick you want on this pig, it's still a waste of a pick. There were several OL,DL prospects available that may have actually contributed somewhere down the road. Dixon will be long gone in two years and the only reason he lasts till then is because he'll be on injured reserve this year.

A complete waste of a pick. Noll had his Mark Malone, Cowher had his Kordell,....I have nightmares that Ben will get injured due to our terrible OL and then....Tomlin will have his Dennis Dixon experiment.

We needed D'lineman, not a backup QB with a torn up knee whose main asset is his legs.

Steeldude
04-30-2008, 12:06 PM
Kordell did not embrace his role on the Steelers roster. And he attempted to prove to everyone, including himself that he was a traditional NFL QB. Truth of the matter is that Kordell was not, therefore he failed.

If Dixon embraces whatever role the Steelers have for him, and he relies on his true athletic ability then he has a better chance of success than Kordell did.

It's not an experiment, he's a draft pick at QB that has talents that could benefit this team in a different way.

you mean kordell proved he was a QB who could not throw accurately, read defenses or understand a dumb-down playbook. no one told kordell to stay in the pocket. cowher was quoted saying nobody has told him he couldn't run.

putting dixon in as a possible future starting QB would be another extremely dumb move by the steelers. the kordell experiment cost the steelers dearly.

revefsreleets
04-30-2008, 12:14 PM
KS was the Steelers QB because he was relatively inexpensive before the Rooney's had stadium cash to play with. Ben is proof what big money nets...Dixon won't be Stewart II. He can either play QB or he can't, and if it's discovered he can't at this level (that's my hunch) then we see what else he can do. Not a waste of a pick because of his sheer level of talent and athletic gifts.

Jeremy
04-30-2008, 12:29 PM

You know.....there are about half a dozen guys on this board who post the same thing time and time again.

The people who are down on Dixon have never seen him play.

rbryan
04-30-2008, 12:54 PM
Counting you at least seven. I have seen him play although I'm sure you have much more insight than the average fan.

tony hipchest
04-30-2008, 01:08 PM
gee joy, another kordell experiment :banging: when will people learn?the steelers did ride the kordell experiment all the way to the superbowl. :hunch:

Dino 6 Rings
04-30-2008, 01:08 PM
I like the pick. If we can develop him into a QB, and a sturdy back up. He isn't the future under center he's just the back up to our #1 guy. Maybe in certain situations, we bring him in, with his spread offense knowledge, and Mendenhall with his spread offense knowledge and have about 10 plays ready with them in the backfield, Sweed, Holmes and Ward ready to go in the WR spots and scare the crap off some defensive coordinator. I don't expect he'll be a WR, I expect he'll be the #3 QB with the potential of being our #2 QB sometime in the future.

lilyoder6
04-30-2008, 01:09 PM
honestly how many 5th rounders may a impact on a team.. yes there are few but still dixon has a lot of athletic abilities and getting him in the 5th is a steal.. if dixon and the steelers get him to the point where he is a wep as a wr, trick play throwing the ball wr then i think it's a good pick..

Dino 6 Rings
04-30-2008, 01:11 PM
honestly how many 5th rounders may a impact on a team.. yes there are few but still dixon has a lot of athletic abilities and getting him in the 5th is a steal.. if dixon and the steelers get him to the point where he is a wep as a wr, trick play throwing the ball wr then i think it's a good pick..

I agree, it isn't like there were potential Starting OL or DL guys sitting there in the 5th round.

BaddBoi70
04-30-2008, 01:17 PM
Everyone seems to forget that Randle El was a QB converted to a slot receiver and was a large part of how/why we won SB XL!

IMO Dixon is way more talented athletically than Randle El and therefore is a great draft pick.

There were 2 thoughts in this latest draft: 1.) Draft an OL - ALL the good ones worthy of a 1st round pick were off the board when the Steelers picked at #23; 2.) Load up on other offensive weapons, which is the path we took and we got soem VERY nice weapons in Mendenhall and Sweed.

Lastly, Tomlin, Ariens and Zierlin must know something we do not b/c we did not pick up any FA's after the draft!

steelreserve
04-30-2008, 01:17 PM
the steelers did ride the kordell experiment all the way to the superbowl. :hunch:

Thank you. For some reason, people around here ridicule Kordell like he was awful the whole time he played for us. You rarely see anyone pointing out that the "experiment" actually worked for a few years, before we tried to make him (or he demanded to) fill a traditional role.

Hypocycloid
04-30-2008, 01:39 PM
you mean kordell proved he was a QB who could not throw accurately, read defenses or understand a dumb-down playbook. no one told kordell to stay in the pocket. cowher was quoted saying nobody has told him he couldn't run.

putting dixon in as a possible future starting QB would be another extremely dumb move by the steelers. the kordell experiment cost the steelers dearly.

Actually that is not true, Eahrhart and Co tried to make him a pocket passer and made statements as such. That was not his talent. He had good years and bad years. His bad years were years when he had a bad or injured offensive line. Not saying he was the best of QB's but when he wasn't able to play to his strengths and averaged 2.1 seconds of protection that is what hurt him. I have lots of game tape.

lilyoder6
04-30-2008, 01:58 PM
it's not like we didn't address any other needs.. we rly needed a 3rd wr who can cath and replace ward. done

we needed a rb to take some load off of willie so he can stay fresh.. done

we took davis to be outside lb.. honestly if he can do what lamar did then in the 2nd yr give him th ejob over harrison and then poss move harrison inside...

stlrtruck
04-30-2008, 02:03 PM
Thank you. For some reason, people around here ridicule Kordell like he was awful the whole time he played for us. You rarely see anyone pointing out that the "experiment" actually worked for a few years, before we tried to make him (or he demanded to) fill a traditional role.

Kordell became awful when opted to play QB instead of Slash. IMHO, he was better at QB when he embraced his slash role. The moment he stopped running the ball when he had an open field and thought he could laser a ball into double coverage is when his career started dowhill.

fansince'76
04-30-2008, 02:04 PM

Nope, Kordell did suck as a QB, though. Dixon better be willing to fill the role that becomes defined for him or hit the road. I don't want to see him get to dictate what role he'll fill (like I recall Kordell doing) - he'll do what's asked of him and be content with it or he can go play somewhere else.

BlastFurnace
04-30-2008, 02:05 PM
Actually that is not true, Eahrhart and Co tried to make him a pocket passer and made statements as such. That was not his talent. He had good years and bad years. His bad years were years when he had a bad or injured offensive line. Not saying he was the best of QB's but when he wasn't able to play to his strengths and averaged 2.1 seconds of protection that is what hurt him. I have lots of game tape.

I have game tape and the Term-Life policies that numerous ants and grasshoppers took out for themselves from all the footballs being thrown into the grass at Heinz Field.

After 1997, Kordell was only good as a QB when he was being protected by the coaching staff with safe throws, a dumbed down playbook, and primarily running the ball. I'll never forget the Atlanta game on MNF in 1999, when Cowher and Gilbride ordered Stewart not to throw the ball on a 3rd down play towards the end of the game before punting the ball one last time. You could see the orders coming from Gilbride's mouth as clear as day and even the MNF crew commented on it. Kordell had a wide-open John Witten 5 yards in front of him and an easy pass would have iced the game. Obviously, the coaching staff didn't trust him beyond his legs when the game was on the line.

Kordell would have been unbelievable, and a hero in Pittsburgh, if he would have swallowed his pride and did what Randel El did for us, but he couldn't bring himself to do that.

fansince'76
04-30-2008, 02:15 PM
After 1997, Kordell was only good as a QB when he was being protected by the coaching staff with safe throws, a dumbed down playbook, and primarily running the ball. I'll never forget the Atlanta game on MNF in 1999, when Cowher and Gilbride ordered Stewart not to throw the ball on a 3rd down play towards the end of the game before punting the ball one last time. You could see the orders coming from Gilbride's mouth as clear as day and even the MNF crew commented on it. Kordell had a wide-open John Witten 5 yards in front of him and an easy pass would have iced the game. Obviously, the coaching staff didn't trust him beyond his legs when the game was on the line.

That's just it - there was no easy pass for Kordell. I'd put money on it that he would have either rocketed the ball 10 feet over Witman's head or one-hopped it to him. :banging:

mastermind1967
04-30-2008, 02:27 PM
All this talk about Kordell is useless. Dixon is not Kordell, nor is he an experiment. He was a QB having a Heisman trophy type season and got injured. If he can overcome the injury and lives up to his potential, we got a 5th round steal. (ala Tom Brady). I am not putting him in that class, but it could be the afterthought that becomes the steal of the draft.

We got an exceptional athlete at bargain basement prices.

Preacher
04-30-2008, 02:28 PM
I understand everyone's dislike for Kordell.

However, having a new OC every year... no QB coach to help him transition or train, every NEW OC trying to make him a pocket passer, which he simply wasn't, and so dependent on the run game that everyone KNEW when you had to pass... did not help matters much.

I do think that Kordell somewhat got blamed for problems that went a lot deeper.

He also caused many problems himself.

steelreserve
04-30-2008, 02:31 PM
Nope, Kordell did suck as a QB, though. Dixon better be willing to fill the role that becomes defined for him or hit the road. I don't want to see him get to dictate what role he'll fill (like I recall Kordell doing) - he'll do what's asked of him and be content with it or he can go play somewhere else.

I think even the strongest Kordell supporter would agree he was great as a wild card, but awful as a full-time QB. It was stupid of us to give in to his demand to make him one.

Dixon won't even have the ability to make that kind of demand. Kordell played for us at a time when our QB situation was changing practically every month. So it was probably only natural for him to ask, "Hey, guys, you're bringing in all these other people who aren't doing so well, so what about me? Why don't I get a shot?"

Dixon comes in behind a young, Super Bowl-winning guy who just signed an 8-year contract extension. So he knows damn well that his options are to ride the bench, or find some other way to contribute.

Rhee Rhee
04-30-2008, 03:18 PM
first off, dennis dixon is a much better passer than kordell is and will ever be.

second off, i like the idea, this man gives us so much versatility.. line him up as a reciever on a couple of screens, maybe use gimmick plays on those screens and watch him lob passes to a speeding santonio holmes/limas sweed downfield..

I'm not saying he be comes a full-time Wide reciever.. However I am saying that he'll give us a solid solid backup once charlie batch hangs it up and he will also give us a few "gadget" plays here and there.. I'm very excited to see what this kid can do.

Edman
04-30-2008, 05:08 PM
The Steelers rode to the Super Bowl with the Kordell Experiment.

The Steelers also had 3 playoff-less seasons and two AFCC losses with the Kordell experiment.

Sharkissle29
04-30-2008, 05:33 PM
im sick and tired of hearing people whining about dixon. why dont we wait to see him actually play? until then....shut your mouthes already, its god damn annoying

fansince'76
04-30-2008, 05:37 PM
im sick and tired of hearing people whining about dixon. why dont we wait to see him actually play? until then....shut your mouthes already, its god damn annoying

Really isn't much else to talk about in late April on a football board, is there?

Sharkissle29
04-30-2008, 06:00 PM
Really isn't much else to talk about in late April on a football board, is there?

True, but i rather not see people cry a river and flood these boards before they even see the kid play.

cubanstogie
04-30-2008, 06:04 PM

I agree, so I think I will put in my $ .02. Dixon will never be a quality full time NFL quarterback. He will be similar to Seneca Wallace in Seattle. Used as a reserve to mix things up and gadget plays. It is a gamble. If he becomes as good as a backup as Charlie is then the gamble is worth it. Injuries play a huge part in NFL as everyone knows and obviously the organization thinks they have a role for him. When I first saw the pick I was befuddled, but there is no harm in gambling on a great athlete who could be a solid backup qb for a value pick. Maybe he performs well in pre season and could be trade bait. Although coming off knee injury I highly doubt he will be ready. If we passed over a quality lineman on offense or defense I would be upset, but nothing was there. I am very interested in how he will be used and I think its possible he can contribute. I just don't think he will be a productive starter in the NFL with any team. Problem is competive guys who think they could start in the NFL are rarely complacent enough to accept a different role their whole career. I am choosing to look at the glass half full.

MACH1
04-30-2008, 06:14 PM
If dixon only plays at qb, all he's going to be doing is taking up space on the sidelines assuming he even makes the roster. If he wants to play he should embrace the fact that he might end up in a slash roll.

SteelersJW
04-30-2008, 06:27 PM
I don't think he has a choice to accept or not accept the role as a "Slash." With Kordell, he was almost forced onto the role of quarterback because we didn't have a reliable one (he did want to do it though). After signing Roethlisberger to a $100 mil contract, there's really not a whole lot of room for Dixon to play quaterback except in a desperate situation in which both Ben and Charlie Batch are out.
I don't see Ben and Charlie beening out at the same time anywhere in the near future (I'm crossing my fingers). If Dixon wants to have any kind of role in this offense he's going to have to accept a role as a "slash" whether he wants it or not.

lilyoder6
04-30-2008, 07:11 PM
like i have said.. he was a great pick in the 5th rd b/c of his athletic abilities...
1 of 4 things will happen
he will either be seneca like i said or a randle el like i said.. be a solid number 2 to replace charlie.. or he'll not make the roster... i say one of the 1st 3 will happen

rich4eagle
04-30-2008, 07:51 PM
I think the Steeler draft was excellent and they brought in four potential impact players at impact postions

hats off to Colbert...........:tt03:

Steeldude
04-30-2008, 09:25 PM

what are you talking about? that O-line did a great job protecting him and running the ball. his bad years were 1997 through 2002. rifling passes into the ground, out of bounds and into defenders hands was not the result of the O-line. it got to the point where teams didn't want to sack kordell. why would they want to hurt a QB so awful?

kordell was given a good defense and a good rushing attack each season. the steelers coninually dumbed-down the playbook to help him. of course this made the steelers quite predictable. but what could they do? they were very persistent with making this dumb WR into a QB. IMO, this experiment cost the steelers 2 SB runs.

i remember a game against buffalo when kordell had a wide open burress in the endzone all alone. the steelers were inside the 10. kordell went back to pass and lofted a dead duck 10 yards short of burress. he was under zero pressure. this kind of pass was a staple in kordell's aresenal.

btw, i remember a lot of those sacks were the result of kordell leaving the pocket early.

Steeldude
04-30-2008, 09:29 PM
the steelers did ride the kordell experiment all the way to the superbowl. :hunch:

they did? when did the steelers go to the SB with kordell as the starting QB? i must have missed that one :noidea:

Davison_K
04-30-2008, 10:11 PM
One of my fondest memories of Steeler football was a 80 some yard scramble against the Ravens IN Baltimore to score the winning touchdown. KS wasn't all bad. He had a few years when he was in the top half of QBs.

Davison_K
04-30-2008, 10:12 PM
they did? when did the steelers go to the SB with kordell as the starting QB? i must have missed that one :noidea:

The experiment started with him in the slash role. The year... I can't even say his name... threw the super bowl away to the cowboys.

Steeldude
04-30-2008, 10:16 PM
The experiment started with him in the slash role. The year... I can't even say his name... threw the super bowl away to the cowboys.

no, the experiment started when they tried to make him a QB. we already knew he was a WR.

the experiment was trying to make dumb WR into a QB.

millwalldavey
04-30-2008, 10:21 PM

Ahhh. The Super Bowl. The ONLY game Stewart should have started at QB.

tony hipchest
04-30-2008, 10:30 PM
they did? when did the steelers go to the SB with kordell as the starting QB? i must have missed that one :noidea:no, my bad. i mustve missed it then. what were you ranting about? dixon being drafted as a wr, or dixon being drafted as a qb?

1997-2002? kordell was runner up league mvp to favre in 2001. :noidea:

and did ray sherman dumb down his offense for kordell or was it just a dumb offense? :noidea:

why dont we talk about the rooneys dumbing down running an nfl franchise for the kent graham and mike tomczac experiment. are you saying they were the better option?

or we could just be pissed about drafting a qb with the 5th pick of the 2008 nfl draft. :noidea:

Black@Gold Forever32
04-30-2008, 10:51 PM
I was pissed when Dixon was drafted...But now I really don't mind...especially if he can develop into the backup QB eventually.....it was only a 5th rounder.....He is a Steeler now so I hope he succeeds.....

BettisFan
04-30-2008, 11:00 PM
dixon could have won the heisman

pittsburghp8baller
04-30-2008, 11:57 PM
First, isn't this kid signed by the Braves to play baseball?

he was drafted by the braves after his junior year and only hit .176 in 74 at bats at rookie league so i doubt we have to worry him leaving us for baseball.

i like the pick.. i dont see him as a WR convert espcially after the knee injury. but i do see him as someone u can put in to run some trick plays. i see him used kind of like tim tebow was used his freshman year(cept he cant plow through people like tebow can). throw him in there with parker and mendenhall and run a option or spread every1 out then run him. and he is a decent enough of a thrower so than when he is out there the D wont stack the box

SteelFist
05-01-2008, 12:32 AM
A complete waste of a pick. Noll had his Mark Malone, Cowher had his Kordell,....I have nightmares that Ben will get injured due to our terrible OL and then....Tomlin will have his Dennis Dixon experiment.

We needed D'lineman, not a backup QB with a torn up knee whose main asset is his legs.

Why is it a waste of a pick? Why don't people get it? Tomlin said that the Steelers will use Dixon in any way that can HELP the team win. How would it hurt?? How many 5th rounders have even made this team the past couple of years anyway? The guy is talented and can provide another demension for this offense. If he is lined up at QB opposing teams won't know if he'll RUN it, run a REVERSE or PASS it. Anything to make the defense have to think before the snap is an advantage to the offense. And if you spend time practicing to defend it, well then guess what?? Thats less time you'll spend practicing for something else.

Think about it people....It can't HURT this team. Who says he will end up like Kordell anyway. 2 different people....and Ben is our starter.....Not Mike Tomczak or an aging Neil O'donnel.

Steeldude
05-01-2008, 01:18 AM
dixon could have won the heisman

and that means...? :noidea:

Steeldude
05-01-2008, 01:31 AM
no, my bad. i mustve missed it then. what were you ranting about? dixon being drafted as a wr, or dixon being drafted as a qb?

1997-2002? kordell was runner up league mvp to favre in 2001. :noidea:

and did ray sherman dumb down his offense for kordell or was it just a dumb offense? :noidea:

why dont we talk about the rooneys dumbing down running an nfl franchise for the kent graham and mike tomczac experiment. are you saying they were the better option?

or we could just be pissed about drafting a qb with the 5th pick of the 2008 nfl draft. :noidea:

you said the steelers rode the kordell experiment to the SB. i don't remember kordell as the starting QB and going to the SB. the kordell experiment was trying to make a WR into a starting QB. it began in 1997 and was thankfully put to death in 2002.

they brought graham in because they knew he wouldn't hurt kordell's fragile psyche. they never brought in a single QB who would actually threaten kordell. that is until they brought in maddox. which was a total shock to most. thankfully maddox put an end to the ludicrous idea of trying to convert a dumb WR into a fulltime starting QB. finally the steelers figured out that they need to spend a little more time evaluating the QB selections in the draft. it helps to have a QB who can throw the ball to the correct team.

the offense was continually dumb-downed for kordell. the guy was a moron.

was does a runner-up MVP have to do with anything? :noidea: how did this runner-up MVP perform in the playoffs? didn't he achieve an astounding 47 QB rating for the post-season? :thumbsup:

you may continue ranting about kordell's greatness :coffee:

Galax Steeler
05-01-2008, 04:29 AM
I think dixon has talent I will admit that he won't be a no.1 quarterback in the leauge but I believe he can be a no.2.

rbryan
05-01-2008, 09:14 AM
:noidea:he was drafted by the braves after his junior year and only hit .176 in 74 at bats at rookie league so i doubt we have to worry him leaving us for baseball.

i like the pick.. i dont see him as a WR convert espcially after the knee injury. but i do see him as someone u can put in to run some trick plays. i see him used kind of like tim tebow was used his freshman year(cept he cant plow through people like tebow can). throw him in there with parker and mendenhall and run a option or spread every1 out then run him. and he is a decent enough of a thrower so than when he is out there the D wont stack the box

With those kind of numbers he'd be a good candidate for a trade to the Pirates.

Sound like anyone you know??? Hears a hint, underacheiving 1st basemen traded from the Braves, rhymes with cochroach. BTW can Dixon play 1st base??

I'll take my own advice now and be quiet until we see how this draft pans out in a few years. Hopefully I'm wrong about the pick, it won't be the first time. In retrospect if you're not going to address the OL I guess you need all the backup QB's you can get.

steelymcmatt
05-01-2008, 09:24 AM
IMO you can't criticize a pick until you look at who was drafted in the 5-10 spots after that pick. In this case Dixon was drafted at 5(21) at 5(22) Roy Schuening went to the Rams and at 5(29) Carl Nicks went to the Saints. That is my real problem with this pick. Dixon seems to me to be a luxury pick when we couldv'e certainly used a guy like Schuening or Nicks. Obviously time will time, but one has to classify this pick as questionable, at least at this point.

DACEB
05-01-2008, 09:31 AM
he was drafted by the braves after his junior year and only hit .176 in 74 at bats at rookie league so i doubt we have to worry him leaving us for baseball.

Thanks for the info p8baller, yea I would agree we don't have to worry too much.

Here's an article on him after he was picked by the Steelers.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AnF7PpREJQr6xp.T1teniVxDubYF?slug=ms-dixondrafted042708&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

“As a little kid, this is what you dream of, right here,” he said. “Now, you’ve got to respond. I can’t wait to get out there and get to work.”

“Remember Slash?” he asked, referring to former Steelers quarterback and multipurpose threat Kordell Stewart. “Maybe we’ve got Slash II.”

Sounds like he is willing to do everything he can to help the team, and that's what I wanted to hear. This kid could be a very good backup with his athleticism, and if he is willing to play 'slash' that makes him that much more valuable. At least it won't be a waste of a roster spot if the #3 QB at least contributes on the field, and doesn't just hold a clipboard.

DACEB
05-01-2008, 09:34 AM
I hope the team is smart, this season, and places both Dixon and Hills on IR. That way we can utilize those roster spots this season for someone that can contribute on the field, and those players are protected.

lilyoder6
05-01-2008, 10:19 AM
u still have a couple months b4 the season starts.. i think dixon will be fine by that time... he is ahead of sch...

Jeremy
05-01-2008, 10:54 AM
and that means...? :noidea:

That the kid has an incredible amout of talent.

Steeldude
05-01-2008, 08:34 PM
That the kid has an incredible amout of talent.

talents that aren't suited for playing QB in the NFL as a full-time starter. i remember people saying kordell had a lot of talent too. i would use the word athletic when describing dixon, not talented.

there is a long list of heisman and heisman runner-ups who have flopped in the NFL.

here are a few...

winners:

andre ware
rashaann salaam
archie griffin(two-time winner)
danny wuerffel
gino toretta
eric crouch
ty detmer
jason white
charlie ward
chris weinke

runner-ups:

heath shuler
josh heupel
michael bishop
tommie frazier
troy davis
caey weldon
anthony thompson
rodney peete
don mcpherson
chuck long
raghib ismail
joe hamilton

GBMelBlount
05-01-2008, 09:16 PM
: In retrospect if you're not going to address the OL I guess you need all the backup QB's you can get.

:sofunny:

stillers4me
05-01-2008, 09:28 PM
I missed that one............

Best line of the day, rbryan!!!!! :toofunny:

faneca05
05-01-2008, 09:48 PM
When you compare Dixon to some of the steelers more recent fifth rounders, I think he looks like a darn good pick.

2007 - Cameron Stephenson,William Gay
2006 - Omar Jacobs, Charles Davis
2005 - Rian Wallace
2004 - Nathaniel Adibi

lilyoder6
05-01-2008, 09:50 PM
u rly can't say jason white was a bust.. if he could of stayed healthy he could of played.. remember he did retire b4 playing one snap b/c of his knees

Steeldude
05-01-2008, 09:55 PM
When you compare Dixon to some of the steelers more recent fifth rounders, I think he looks like a darn good pick.

2007 - Cameron Stephenson,William Gay
2006 - Omar Jacobs, Charles Davis
2005 - Rian Wallace
2004 - Nathaniel Adibi

gay actually has a chance to start when townsend retires. jury is still out.

dixon looks about as valuable as the rest of the picks. if he plays WR he might contribute. that all depends on his knee.

fansince'76
05-01-2008, 10:49 PM
there is a long list of heisman and heisman runner-ups who have flopped in the NFL.

here are a few...

winners:

andre ware
rashaann salaam
archie griffin(two-time winner)
danny wuerffel
gino toretta
eric crouch
ty detmer
jason white
charlie ward
chris weinke

Well, to be fair, Charlie Ward didn't pursue a career in the NFL - he was a pretty decent point guard for the Knicks, though. :smile:

tony hipchest
05-01-2008, 10:57 PM
Kansas City gm was asked if they seriously considered a qb in the draft (an obvious reference to ryan).

the only one they really considered (and had targeted) was dixon in the 4th, but they needed a wr and were really hoping he would slide to them in the 5th.

it was pretty obvious they were looking at him as a qb and not a wr.

rbryan
05-01-2008, 11:10 PM
It was made pretty clear by his camp that he was only interested in playing QB, the first thing I heard when he was drafted from Mayock was "If you think you drafted the next slash You're wrong this kid is a QB only...."

All this talk about comparing him to KS is for not. He was drafted to be a QB not slash.

Edman
05-01-2008, 11:35 PM
Actually William Gay is showing something. He's still on the roster.

aclark99
05-01-2008, 11:41 PM
KS was a decent qb for the steelers. He did take us to a couple of championship games. He should have stayed at the slash position where his true assets were better utilized. I believe Dixon will have to do the same to make the team. I like Zabransky as our #3. Dixon will be #4 and will also play other positions. The "Flash" will be back in the steelers offense. This will be Arians make or break year with the talent on the offense. We better produce some points.

DACEB
05-02-2008, 07:12 AM
KS was a decent qb for the steelers. He did take us to a couple of championship games. He should have stayed at the slash position where his true assets were better utilized. I believe Dixon will have to do the same to make the team. I like Zabransky as our #3. Dixon will be #4 and will also play other positions. The "Flash" will be back in the steelers offense. This will be Arians make or break year with the talent on the offense. We better produce some points.

With all due respect, do you think it is wise to keep 4 QBs on the roster?

tunes4life
05-02-2008, 09:13 AM
I have to say this guy intrigues me. I didn't know much about him at first, but now that I've had time to watch some of the footage on him at youtube I'm excited about him. He was a Heisman trophy candidate before he was hurt. He is incredibly fast and very shifty. Fast cuts, fluid. There were a couple of fakes that he pulled off in college (fake statue of liberty on the 20) were he faked out the entire opposing team, the announcer, and me watching the video. It was pretty impressive.

So it comes down to the two major gambles:

1. We he recover fully from his injury? (all signs point to yes)
2. We he be too thin for the NFL? Can he take a NFL hit? This remains to be seen. If he can't, will they shift him into a receiver role?

All-in-all I completely agree with the selection. We really needed some DL but this guy can cause some major protection issues.

While reading one of the stories about him a line caught my eye:

"The Steelers drafted the offensive player of the year in two top conferences in Dixon (Pac-10) and Mendenhall (Big Ten). "

Just thought that was pretty cool. :tt02:

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-02-2008, 10:08 AM
It was made pretty clear by his camp that he was only interested in playing QB, the first thing I heard when he was drafted from Mayock was "If you think you drafted the next slash You're wrong this kid is a QB only...."

All this talk about comparing him to KS is for not. He was drafted to be a QB not slash.

Exactly!!

I also read an article that scouts compared his talents to Vince Young as ...Dixon is a better passer than Young, while he is not as good a runner as Young. I think the Steelers drafted a guy they hope can be their #2 QB of the future.

fansince'76
05-02-2008, 10:09 AM
KS was a decent qb for the steelers. He did take us to a couple of championship games.

That's almost like saying Dilfer won the Ravens the SB back in 2000. Fact is, our running game and D got us to 2 AFCCGs in '97 and '01 - Kordell was just along for the ride.

lilyoder6
05-02-2008, 10:46 AM
they just need to utilize his speed whether at qb or wr...he can be both if he wanted to... i bet after talking to hines about the transition he will prob make it as well to make the team

steelreserve
05-02-2008, 12:25 PM

Well, then I've got one thing to say to him: Enjoy sitting on the bench, dude.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-02-2008, 01:23 PM
Well, then I've got one thing to say to him: Enjoy sitting on the bench, dude.

From his conference call on draft day it looks like he knows the situation pretty well and is prepared to come in and learn. I dont think he has any dillusions of starting this season.

Q. How do you feel getting drafted behind a guy who is 26 and just signed a long-term deal?

Dixon: I just want to be like a sponge and soak everything in. “Big Ben” Roethlisberger is a great quarterback and I want to learn the ins and outs of playing the quarterback position as well.

Q. It would appear that the door is shut here ever being the starter with him here:

Dixon: Well the sky is the limit and I am just going to come in and do the best that I can. I am truly honored to have the opportunity to come and play at the next level.

Q. Dennis did they tell you that they would like to use you exclusively at quarterback?

Dixon: Yes, Coach Tomlin likes me as a quarterback. He likes what I can bring. I can throw the ball at different levels with strength. I know I have a lot to work on, and I’m willing and ready with open arms.

Q: Would you be open to doing something else while you are learning quarterback?

Dixon: Yeah, I just want an opportunity to play at the next level. If Coach Tomlin sees me as something else I’m happy with that.

Seems like a good kid with a great atitude that is coming in to compete and learn as a QB.

http://news.steelers.com/article/88792/

steelreserve
05-02-2008, 01:58 PM
Dixon: Yeah, I just want an opportunity to play at the next level. If Coach Tomlin sees me as something else I’m happy with that.
[/COLOR]

Seems like a good kid with a great atitude that is coming in to compete and learn as a QB.

Well, OK, but the statement directly above yours seems to indicate, plain as day, that he's not opposed to playing other roles or being a situational player if that's what he has to do to get on the field. A lot of the roles he could fit -- and no, for the 50th time, I'm NOT suggesting we have to make him into a full-time wide receiver -- are pretty exciting and open up a lot of possibilities for us, along with the added bonus (for him) of getting some playing time.

If he turns out to be a great QB -- good enough to eventually give Ben a run for his money -- and that's how we use him then good for us. It's great if you can have two star-caliber quarterbacks at once. It's just that right now, everybody is working under the assumption that he's never going to hold a candle to Ben, because it's really rare to find a QB that good, let alone two.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-02-2008, 02:25 PM
I think you are right. Dixon looks like he isnt opposed to doing anything that the coaches ask of him. So, if they ask him to play WR, FS, return kicks or put air in the footballs it looks like he will do it. Great attitude!!

I think he is looked at as a possible #2 QB and with the injuries in the NFL, thats important to have. Its gonna take time, as coming in from a spread offense in college to the offense that the Steelers run will be a big learing curve and he is gonna have to make the roster first.

Looks like a character guy that fits well with the Steelers.

steelreserve
05-02-2008, 04:11 PM
Well, I guess that's why we try to get players who have this kind of attitude, instead of ball-hogging divas who demand a trade the second they don't feel like the top dog on the team.

A guy in Dixon's situation could look at it one of two ways. He could pout and badmouth the coaches until we trade him for a sixth-round draft pick. Or he could look at getting any kind of chance in the NFL as a positive thing and make the most of it.

I'm glad he seems to be choosing the second option -- because if he still has the kind of ability he had a year ago, chances are once he gets onto the field, we'll want to keep him there as much as we can.

iDash
05-02-2008, 04:34 PM
All this talk about Kordell is useless. Dixon is not Kordell, nor is he an experiment. He was a QB having a Heisman trophy type season and got injured. If he can overcome the injury and lives up to his potential, we got a 5th round steal. (ala Tom Brady). I am not putting him in that class, but it could be the afterthought that becomes the steal of the draft.

We got an exceptional athlete at bargain basement prices.

2nd, a developmental backup

Galax Steeler
05-02-2008, 04:44 PM
2nd, a developmental backup

I belive he will do well as a backup when batch retires in a couple of years.