PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Draft Prospects!!

Elvis
04-30-2008, 08:04 AM
It's Georgia quarterback Matt Stafford. He is the prototype, a strong-armed, pocket-passer who plays with a swagger. He enters his junior season having started 19 games in his first two seasons. In 2007, he threw 19 touchdowns and 10 interceptions, a big improvement over the seven touchdowns and 13 interceptions from his freshman season.
The challengers to Stafford's perch as the top quarterback and perhaps top pick are Purdue's Curtis Painter, Oklahoma's Sam Bradford and Louisville's Hunter Cantwell.
An early look to the 2009 draft class, including top juniors who will likely come out, shows it could be a deep class at offensive tackle and defensive end, two premium positions on draft day. We could see as many as five or six at each position go in the first round next spring.
It does not appear to be a great class for receivers or corners, although there are a handful of top prospects at each position.
That can all change in a big way in the next 12 months. Just ask Brian Brohm.
That's why they play the games.
Cream of the '09 crop

Matt Stafford, QB, Georgia (Jr.): He has that NFL passer look. There is no way he stays for his senior season, not with a chance to be the top passer selected.
Curtis Painter, QB, Purdue: He's got a strong arm, plays in a pro-style offense and understands the passing game.
Hunter Cantwell, QB, Louisville: At 6-5, he has the size scouts love. He also has a big arm. But being behind Brohm, he hasn't played much.
Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma (Redshirt soph.): At 6-5, 213 pounds, he has great size and a big arm. He started right away at quarterback.
Tim Tebow, QB, Florida (Jr.): He will have to adjust on the next level, but he throws it well enough. We know he's tough enough.
http://images.sportsline.com/u/photos/football/nfl/img10803423.jpg Chris Wells has the size-speed package. (Getty Images) Chris Wells, RB, Ohio State (Jr.): At 6-1, 225 pounds, he has great size. He has also been timed under 4.5 in the 40. A good junior season and he should be gone.
C.J. Spiller, RB, Clemson (Jr.): He has blazing speed that will have the scouts drooling. He can also return kickoffs.
Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech (Redshirt soph.): He has the size (6-3, 222 pounds) and the speed. He puts up huge numbers in the Tech offense as well.
Brian Robiskie, WR, Ohio State: He has good speed and runs disciplined routes. He's the son of Atlanta Falcons assistant Terry Robiskie.
Percy Harvin, WR, Florida (Jr.): He's small at 5-10, 200 pounds, and he has some injury issues. But he can fly.
Darrius Heyward-Bey, WR, Maryland (Jr.): He's a big receiver (6-2, 205) who has track-like speed. He caught 51 passes last season.
Chase Coffman, TE, Missouri: He is a better NFL prospect than Dustin Keller, who went in the first round of this weekend's draft. Coffman has good size (6-6, 245) and he can block.
Michael Oher, T, Mississippi: At 6-5, 325 pounds, he's a strong, physical player who has played both guard and tackle. He shocked many by returning to play his senior season.
Phil Loadholt, T, Oklahoma: At 6-8, 350 pounds, he is a massive tackle. He teams with Duke Robinson to form one of the best sides of a line in college football. Might have to move to right tackle in the NFL.
Alex Boone, T, Ohio State: He's another big tackle at 6-8, 320 pounds. Most thought he would enter this year's draft, but he opted to stay in school.
Andre Smith, T, Alabama (Jr.): He has started at left tackle since he was a freshman. At 6-5, 345 pounds, he has great size.
http://images.sportsline.com/u/photos/football/nfl/img10803422.jpg Duke has a little bit of mean. (Getty Images) Duke Robinson, G, Oklahoma: He might have been the top-ranked guard had he entered this year's draft. He's a powerful man at 6-5, 335 pounds. Plays with a mean streak.
Herman Johnson, G, LSU: He's a huge (6-5, 350) guard who might be able to slide outside and play right tackle.[/FONT][/SIZE]

Aussie_steeler
05-01-2008, 05:25 AM
There are some very tall OT's listed to come out next year. Loadholt and Boone are two huge specimens.

Rhee Rhee
05-02-2008, 06:53 PM
im going crazy about duke robinson and tyson jackson...

Rhee Rhee
05-02-2008, 06:53 PM
im going crazy about duke robinson and tyson jackson...

Elvis
05-04-2008, 10:24 AM
The steelers will definitely be needing to look at Oline next april. Max Starks is only signed for 1 year and Marvel Smith is in his last year in pittsburgh probably.
:coffee:

changAlang24
05-11-2008, 02:36 AM
Oher and Loadholt sound great to me. Shoring up the O Line will definitely be key next year.

Other really talented prospects I would love to see in a Steelers Uni are

Brian Cushing 6-4/245 OLB USC
-A large LB, Cushing has shown the versatility and athleticism to start at defensive end and outside linebacker in college. He is a smooth and fluid athlete and has the elite speed (4.55 seconds in the 40-yard dash) to make plays at the next level.

Vontae Davis 6-0/205. CB Illinois
A very fluid, fast and athletic CB who many thought couldve possibly been the 1st CB taken in this draft, and possibly a top 5 pick. CB could be a need, and we'd need to trade up to get this guy. Keep your eyes on him.

Texasteel
05-11-2008, 05:34 AM
The problem with Oher, Cushing, and Davis, they will most likly be top 20 picks. I don't see us picking higher that 26, or 27, or 32. Now, if our year starts to go south on us, I will be paying more attention to those names, particularly Oher, and Davis.

Galax Steeler
05-11-2008, 07:14 AM
Out of the ones coming out for the draft who would we be interested in to help our team next year.

Texasteel
05-11-2008, 09:45 AM
Out of the ones coming out for the draft who would we be interested in to help our team next year.

Of the positions that most of us will be most interested, and this is very early.
OT
Phil Loadholt / Oklahoma ( Big Bear, Big Big Bear ) I saw his name linked with the Steelers a couple of times when he was thinking about coming out this year.
Ciron Black / LSU ( Will be a Jr. ) My favorite right now.
Alex Boone / Ohio St. (Major school, major player. ) I have said before, I think this kid could be our best bet next year.

Player that may go later you might watch Dallas Reynolds BYU, and Eric VandenHeuvel Wisc.

OG
Herman Johnson / LSU
Jeremy Perry / Oregon St. If Perry had come out this year I thought he would have been the 2nd best OG in the draft.
Cedric Dockery / Texas If his ACL shows to be solid could move into the class of the 1st two.

Later in the draft, might watch Steve Regring / Ohio St.

Now, I watch LSU, Texas, and the Big 10 most of the time so this may not be an unbias list.

Galax Steeler
05-12-2008, 05:55 AM
Thanks for the info sounds like some good players to watch.

Elvis
05-25-2008, 07:36 AM
New Free Agency Winners and Losers (http://www.footballsfuture.com/2008/nfl/fawinners.html) 2009 NFL Draft Prospect Rankings

By: Robert Davis | Updated 5/12

Chris Wells, RB, Ohio St, Jr.
Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech, So.
Michael Oher, OT, Ole Miss
Taylor Mays, S, USC, Jr.
Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio St.
Brian Cushing, LB, USC
Matt Stafford, QB, Georgia, Jr.
LeSean McCoy, RB, Pitt, So.
Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia
Greg Middleton, DE, Indiana, Jr.
Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois, Jr.
James Laurinitis, LB, Ohio St.
Rey Maualuga, LB, USC
Darrius Heyward-Bey, WR, Maryland, Jr.
CJ Spiller, RB, Clemson Jr.
Fili Moala, DT, USC
Sen’Derrick Marks, DT, Auburn, Jr.
George Selvie, DE, South Florida, Jr.
Andre Smith, OL, Alabama, Jr.
Myron Rolle, S, Florida St, Jr.

Elvis
05-25-2008, 07:43 AM
This updated list comes to you from Footballsfuture.com

I love this site and the writer is usually right on pretty good with his information. But there is a player or 2 on this list that should have been higher I believe.
LB James Laurinitis from Ohio State should never be ranked that low in my opinion. This guy is a beast and he could be the no.1 over all pick this upcoming '09 NFL Draft. I feel the same way about Maulauga coming from USC. Those 2 could easily be top 5 picks. Just my opinions though.

Rhee Rhee
05-25-2008, 01:48 PM
New Free Agency Winners and Losers (http://www.footballsfuture.com/2008/nfl/fawinners.html) 2009 NFL Draft Prospect Rankings

By: Robert Davis | Updated 5/12

Chris Wells, RB, Ohio St, Jr.
Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech, So.
Michael Oher, OT, Ole Miss
Taylor Mays, S, USC, Jr.
Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio St.
Brian Cushing, LB, USC
Matt Stafford, QB, Georgia, Jr.
LeSean McCoy, RB, Pitt, So.
Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia
Greg Middleton, DE, Indiana, Jr.
Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois, Jr.
James Laurinitis, LB, Ohio St.
Rey Maualuga, LB, USC
Darrius Heyward-Bey, WR, Maryland, Jr.
CJ Spiller, RB, Clemson Jr.
Fili Moala, DT, USC
Sen’Derrick Marks, DT, Auburn, Jr.
George Selvie, DE, South Florida, Jr.
Andre Smith, OL, Alabama, Jr.
Myron Rolle, S, Florida St, Jr.

from what i heard that virginia guy is a better prospect than branden albert but slightly below d'brickshaw

Steeldude
05-25-2008, 10:18 PM
i doubt the steelers will draft D-line or O-line in the first round in 2009. they will probably go after a RB or WR again. then everyone can say, "the steelers are loaded with weapons".

Elvis
05-26-2008, 11:23 AM
That sounds like you steeldude..
:noidea:

Rhee Rhee
05-27-2008, 06:04 PM
i doubt the steelers will draft D-line or O-line in the first round in 2009. they will probably go after a RB or WR again. then everyone can say, "the steelers are loaded with weapons".

we didnt go RB or WR we picked BAP... i highly doubt we'll do that again next year as the o-line and d-line will be our main weakness this year (again)...

MDSteel15
05-28-2008, 11:08 PM
These, in my opinion, are the guys we should be looking at Day 1 early Day 2 in next years draft:

*- denotes underclassman

Andre Smith*, Alabama OT Height: 6-5. Weight: 339 Projected: top 10
Ciron Black*, LSU OT Height: 6-5. Weight: 315 Projected: top 20
Max Unger, Oregon OT Height: 6-5. Weight: 300 Projected: top 20
Phil Loadholt, Oklahoma OT Height: 6-8. Weight: 350 Projected: late 1st - 2nd
Adam Ulatoski*, Texas OT Height: 6-8. Weight: 310 Projected: late 1st - 2nd

Tyson Jackson, LSU DE Height: 6-5. Weight: 292 Projected: top 10
Greg Hardy*, Ole Miss DE Height: 6-5. Weight: 260 Projected: top 15
Greg Middleton*, Indiana DE Height: 6-3. Weight: 275 Projected: top 25
Tim Jamison, Michigan DE Height: 6-3. Weight: 266 Projected: late 1st - 2nd

Sen'Derrick Marks*, Auburn DT Height: 6-1. Weight: 291 Projected: top 15
Al Woods*, LSU DT Height: 6-5. Weight: 314 Projected: top 15
Vance Walker, Georgia Tech DT Height: 6-2. Weight: 294 Projected: top 25
Peria Jerry, Ole Miss DT Height: 6-2. Weight: 310 Projected: 2nd
Terrance Taylor, Michigan DT Height: 6-0. Weight: 315 Projected: 2nd - 3rd

Rey Maualuga, USC ILB Height: 6-3. Weight: 250 Projected: top 15
Brandon Spikes*, Florida ILB Height: 6-3. Weight: 244 Projected: late 1st - 2nd
Dave Philistin, Maryland ILB Height: 6-2. Weight: 231 Projected: 3rd
Jasper Brinkley, South Carolina ILB Height: 6-2. Weight: 257 Projected: 3rd or later

Trevard Lindley*, Kentucky CB Height: 6-0. Weight: 177 Projected: 2nd - 3rd
Joe Burnett, Central Florida CB Height: 5-11. Weight: 184 Projected: 3rd
Morgan Trent, Michigan CB Height: 6-1. Weight: 184 Projected: 4th
Jackie Bates, Hampton CB Height: 5-10. Weight: 180 Projected: 4th

With the age of some of our players, this is where I believe we should be looking....

Texasteel
05-29-2008, 06:28 PM
I still think that the 1st pick will most likly be O-line or D-line, unless one of the top 2 CBs fall to us.
IMO all three look to be very good right now.
It going to be interesting to see how meny comp. picks we get as well.

St33lersguy
05-29-2008, 06:38 PM
At this point I am just interested in '09 draft prospects that are 3-4 DL and OL. Lets just hope the Steelers don't go for the best player available and worse, that best player is a RB.

MDSteel15
05-29-2008, 10:30 PM
At this point I am just interested in '09 draft prospects that are 3-4 DL and OL. Lets just hope the Steelers don't go for the best player available and worse, that best player is a RB.

I truly doubt that will happen :doh:

Aussie_steeler
05-30-2008, 10:07 PM
At this point I am just interested in '09 draft prospects that are 3-4 DL and OL.

I think there will be quite a few of us looking along with you. Sounds like when the college season starts we need a thread devoted to this task.

At this point I am not sure what is the bigger need on the D line, finding a replacement for Casey or finding a stud DE.

I will watch the center position to with keen interest. I am of the view it is the greatest area of need on our O line.

Cheers

Texasteel
05-31-2008, 06:42 AM
I think there will be quite a few of us looking along with you. Sounds like when the college season starts we need a thread devoted to this task.

At this point I am not sure what is the bigger need on the D line, finding a replacement for Casey or finding a stud DE.

I will watch the center position to with keen interest. I am of the view it is the greatest area of need on our O line.

Cheers

I think the D-line will depend a lot who in available. If Woods slids, you have to take him don't you, if not I'm not sure there is another Casey replacment that will be worth the 1st pick.

The OCs will need some close watching by one of us, outside of Mack and Luigs I think that this class looks thin.

MasterOfPuppets
06-19-2008, 09:28 PM
i sure hope this guy is wrong....

29. Sen'Derrick Marks, DT Auburn (Jr.)
While he's not a huge run stuffer, he's an ultra-athletic interior pass rusher who should be the best of a projected lousy lot of defensive tackles. This might end up being

http://cfn.scout.com/2/720438.html

Texasteel
06-20-2008, 04:04 PM
[QUOTE=MasterOfPuppets;406996]i sure hope this guy is wrong....

I don't know anything about this fellow, but it seems these guys often are very wrong.:coffee:

Elvis
06-25-2008, 04:12 AM
:noidea:
I will get back with ya in about 3 years to let ya know if this is a good post or not.

I think that the Steelers did the right thing this past april in getting Mendenhall and Sweed, but we will have to wait and see wont we?
:tt02:

19ward86
06-28-2008, 12:05 PM
crabtree all the way...

Texasteel
06-28-2008, 12:26 PM
Read a mock draft today that had us taking CB Vontae Davis, which would be just fine with me, but they had us passing on OT Ciron Black to get him and I don't know if I'm fine with that.

Elvis
06-29-2008, 08:32 AM
I think that the Steelers almost need a DB as bad as a OT sometimes. Our future will be determined in '08 at Offensive Line. If our guys gel together and play well we will not be worrying about it as much. And our DB's are getting a little long in the tooth and are gonna have to be replaced soon.

Texasteel
06-29-2008, 09:00 AM
I can't fault your thinking Elvis, but if both Davis and Black is still there when we pick, I see both of them as top 15 to 20 right now, it would be a hard pick for me to make. I guess that the depth at OT would make a Davis pick easer for me.

I do have both of those kids on my prefered pick list going into the season.