PDA

View Full Version : No worries for Hines Ward

TackleMeBen
05-02-2008, 05:37 PM
PITTSBURGH, Pa.--Steelers receiver Hines Ward didn't take it lightly when quarterback Ben Roethlisberger insisted the team could use taller receivers to help the offense next season.
So when the Steelers drafted 6-foot-4 Limas Sweed out of the University of Texas in the second round, everyone in Pittsburgh wanted to know Ward's reaction and got it during the first day of Steelers minicamp.

"Even though we drafted a guy, I'm not mad and there are no hard feelings,'' Ward said. "They felt like this guy could help us get to the next level and win a championship. Why would I be mad at that?"

Ward spent the day on the sidelines giving pointers to Sweed and the other receivers. Ward is recovering from minor knee surgery and will not participate this weekend.

The selection of Sweed could have been just as much about age as it is about his size. Ward, a four-time Pro Bowler and former Super Bowl MVP, is 32-years old and entering his 11th season.

"To this day, everybody is waiting for Hines Ward to fall off and I love that,'' Ward said. "That gives me motivation to go out and prove people wrong. It doesn't matter who we bring in, because I'm not going to change the way I play my game. I'm going to be Hines Ward, and No. 86 is going to continue to play the way he's always played.''

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/hashmarks/0-7-32/No-worries-for-Hines-Ward.html

good to know that ward wasnt whining and pitching a fit about sweed being drafted.:thumbsup:

stillers4me
05-02-2008, 05:39 PM
"To this day, everybody is waiting for Hines Ward to fall off and I love that,'' Ward said. "That gives me motivation to go out and prove people wrong. It doesn't matter who we bring in, because I'm not going to change the way I play my game. I'm going to be Hines Ward, and No. 86 is going to continue to play the way he's always played.''

'Atta baby! :tt03:

JanBr7
05-02-2008, 05:41 PM
Yes, but he's still low-key. I mean, look at the difference between his attitude and willie Parker's about Mendenhall. Willie says Mendenhall will make him better, will help his career last longer. Ward says "I'm not mad." and "It gives me motivation to go out and prove people wrong" not stuff like how Sweed can make the team better.

Don't get me wrong, I love Hines. He just has to work a lot harder to be a true 'team' player.

TackleMeBen
05-02-2008, 05:46 PM
He just has to work a lot harder to be a true 'team' player.

the samething was said about a certain qb on this team at one time before too.:flap:

TheWarDen86
05-02-2008, 06:03 PM
No. 86 is going to continue to play the way he's always played.''

Questions?

:tt02: You are the man Hines! :thumbsup:

TheWarDen86
05-02-2008, 06:10 PM
He just has to work a lot harder to be a true 'team' player.

I don't really agree. Hines was hardly considered for the starting spot for the first few years. He played so hard that FINALLY they opened their eyes. He has definitely paid his dues (moreso than most), and has earned every right to voice his feelings, regardless of what they might be.

He cried on national television, not for himself but for a teammate. No one takes the hits he does to bolster thier own stats (on the contrary) Hines does it to make plays and to keep the drive going because he wants to win. It's true that he's not a vocal leader (admittedly) but he does lead by example.

TackleMeBen
05-02-2008, 06:15 PM
I don't really agree. Hines was hardly considered for the starting spot for the first few years. He played so hard that FINALLY they opened their eyes. He has definitely paid his dues (moreso than most), and has earned every right to voice his feelings, regardless of what they might be.

He cried on national television, not for himself but for a teammate. No one takes the hits he does to bolster thier own stats (on the contrary) Hines does it to make plays and to keep the drive going because he wants to win. It's true that he's not a vocal leader (admittedly) but he does lead by example.

which most of the time is better than being a vocal leader. the media cant twist stats on the field like they can when you speak...:wink02:

MONTANA GRIZ
05-02-2008, 06:16 PM
Though he says it doesnt bother him they drafted Sweed, his remarks don't exactly sound like hes going to help Sweed like Parker did with Mendenhall. Hines is the man I wish he would not talk in 3rd person though, it sounds rediculous.

Galax Steeler
05-02-2008, 06:22 PM
Hines will be a true mentor and hopefully sweed will pick up and be a true steeler.

TackleMeBen
05-02-2008, 06:28 PM
Hines will be a true mentor and hopefully sweed will pick up and be a true steeler.
only if sweed ask hines for help. he wont just offer it.

TheWarDen86
05-02-2008, 06:28 PM
Though he says it doesnt bother him they drafted Sweed, his remarks don't exactly sound like hes going to help Sweed like Parker did with Mendenhall. Hines is the man I wish he would not talk in 3rd person though, it sounds rediculous.

TheWarDen86 does not understand what you mean? :wink02: :laughing:

LVSteelersfan
05-02-2008, 06:31 PM
People read too much into comments made by players. Hines wants to win first and foremost. And if Sweed is going to help get them to the next level, then I am sure Hines is not upset in the least. I don't get the feeling he is the best at putting into words what he really means sometimes. I think things will be just fine. Spread the ball out to 5 or 6 receivers so the other team doesn't know where to look. It works. Really. Truly. Seriously. Look at Tom Brady. We will win if we do that.

TackleMeBen
05-02-2008, 06:32 PM
TheWarDen86 does not understand what you mean? :wink02: :laughing:
you are crazy TWD...lol

BettisFan
05-02-2008, 06:36 PM
i am extremely happy that ward is ok with this, if he wasnt he would have to deal but since he is it makes everything alot eaiser.

Rhee Rhee
05-02-2008, 06:38 PM
IMO sweed doesn't look 100% interested in football...

in all of the interviews i saw of him he was really robotic and almost emotionless...

especially when he was drafted by the steelers... gave me the impression that he's just here to get money...

then again he did fall about 1 entire round of where he was expected to go and lost a boatload of money so i can't be too mad at him...

stillers4me
05-02-2008, 06:40 PM
Hines took Santonio under his wing..........he'll do the same with Limas.

You all read to much into it. JMO

Hypocycloid
05-02-2008, 06:46 PM

in all of the interviews i saw of him he was really robotic and almost emotionless...

especially when he was drafted by the steelers... gave me the impression that he's just here to get money...

then again he did fall about 1 entire round of where he was expected to go and lost a boatload of money so i can't be too mad at him...

I don't think that he is a media type guy. I heard an interview with him on Fox970 or WTAERadio and he just wasn't a very good interviewee. There will not be that many soundbites of the guy. I did hear that he likes to go home and ride horses for stress relief.

I think if you want excited and great soundbites, contrast that with what we are going to get from Bruce Davis.

19ward86
05-02-2008, 07:03 PM
Classy.

JanBr7
05-02-2008, 07:11 PM
I don't think that he is a media type guy. I heard an interview with him on Fox970 or WTAERadio and he just wasn't a very good interviewee. There will not be that many soundbites of the guy. I did hear that he likes to go home and ride horses for stress relief.

I think if you want excited and great soundbites, contrast that with what we are going to get from Bruce Davis.

I agree with this -- some guys just don't give good interviews period! And as for your comment (:flap:) about a certain QB once not being considered a team player, point taken -- but Ben's a lot younger and in all honesty got thrown into the leadership role with no preamble. It has taken him time to develop into a leader, and he still has a little room to go.

You guys are prob right about Ward -- he has always taken the other receivers under his wing and I'm sure he'll do that with Sweed. His words just came off as a little bit 'cautious' if you will.

Galax Steeler
05-03-2008, 05:40 AM
Sweed will be fine his first day of camp he was probably a little nervous and just don't like talking to the media.

SteelerFanInATL
05-03-2008, 08:13 AM
Ward is a professional. There was no reason for him not to act anything less than that. Remember we draft people with character as well as talent.

msafford
05-03-2008, 09:22 AM

He could very well be someone like James Harrison, who doesn't like to speak to the media at all.

Michael Keller
05-03-2008, 09:27 AM
Hines Ward is an extrmely sensitive person. He often speaks from the heart not the mind and all of us get a little concerned. Lets face it he has a chip on his shoulder and he plays that way. There are far more positives in Hines Ward's make up , than negatives.

He leads by example second to none. He has and will continue to provide mentoring tips to the younger players. He may not be a Bettis or even a Parker but when you look around the league at other super star receivers be greatful for who Mr. Ward is .

Ward's attitude is not a problem . I wish more Steelers had his attitude.

TackleMeBen
05-03-2008, 02:08 PM
Ward helps out young receivers
Hines Ward didn’t take part in the team’s first practice on Friday, but that didn’t mean he stood idle the entire time.

Ward used his down time to help out the team’s rookie receivers, including number two pick Limas Sweed.

“It helped out,” said Sweed. “Hines and Santonio (Holmes) gave me some good advice. They told me to just play ball.”

Sweed put their words to good use and felt like he had a good first practice.

http://news.steelers.com/article/89044/

Elvis
05-03-2008, 02:32 PM
the more he helps out the young guys and gets them ready to make an impact, the better our team as a whole will be.
:applaudit:

rbryan
05-03-2008, 07:07 PM
Lets hope Sweed learns at least one thing from Ward. All he has to do is watch. No dialogue necesary. The art of the downfield knockout block may not have been invented by HW but he's consistantly the toughest and nastiest (in a good way...lol) I've seen in a long time. Clutch receiver, most receptions in Steeler history... what else do you want. I just hope he retires in the B&G because he's stubborn enough to think he can play another 5 or 6 years.

rick723
05-03-2008, 08:37 PM

Some people just don't talk in front of people. Not everyone has been to Marine Drill Instructor School, sheesh! I was in DI school with a guy who drew a blank every time he tried to teach a movement, needless to say, he didn't pass the school and get his Smokey Bear hat
Sweed will talk on the field

rick723
05-03-2008, 08:42 PM
Do you guys ever wonder why other team fans hate Hines Ward so bad? They are pissed off because he is a Steeler! They all would scream for him if he was released, which will not happen btw