PDA

View Full Version : Iron Man

revefsreleets
05-03-2008, 04:34 PM
Best comic adaptation ever! First off, it's just a really well made film (Jon Favreau of "Swingers" fame directs)...it's well paced and there's a good solid plot. Yeah, it's a little far-fetched that the dude could make his suit right under his captors eyes, but it's a comic book, for Christs sake...suspend your disbelief!

Downey is perfect for the role...brings the right combination of charm and wit and humor while still being believable as a hero. I highly suggest checking it out...there's a killer Indy trailer in the previews, too...I got goosebumps.

TackleMeBen
05-03-2008, 04:35 PM
my son wants to go see it. i think i might have to take him after your review.

CantStop85
05-03-2008, 05:03 PM
Very good movie...I'm no a big comic book fan, but I loved this movie.

BettisFan
05-03-2008, 05:13 PM
I cant wait to see it , looks amazing

tony hipchest
05-03-2008, 06:55 PM
Best comic adaptation ever! First off, it's just a really well made film (Jon Favreau of "Swingers" fame directs)...it's well paced and there's a good solid plot. Yeah, it's a little far-fetched that the dude could make his suit right under his captors eyes, but it's a comic book, for Christs sake...suspend your disbelief!

Downey is perfect for the role...brings the right combination of charm and wit and humor while still being believable as a hero. I highly suggest checking it out...there's a killer Indy trailer in the previews, too...I got goosebumps.

now that is some high praise.

a "suit" right under their nose? :scratchchin:

of course i thought the original PUNISHER with dolph lundgren was great.

ive seen alot of critics who hate alot of the comic adaptions because they deviate from the original plots (some written before the 70's).

but i absolutely love them. its movies like SUPRMAN that got me into comics in the 1st place.

i remember the height of the comic boom around 90-92 when they were trying to get alot of these scripts to the big screen and studios didnt want to touch them. after the success of BATMAN i was suprised.

as crappy as some hollywood scripts have gotten, im thankful for Marvel and stan lee. to me, these latest adaptions are entertainment in its purest form, and if this is the best yet, i cant wait.

the greatest thing is non comic fans are loving the movies and getting exposed to the depth of some of the characters. unfortunately, comics have always been the bastard child of the art industry. i look at them as literature as opposed to smut rags, and glad to see their stories getting rave reviews.

revefsreleets
05-04-2008, 06:36 PM
Obviously they did something right. Second biggest opening ever, and this was supposed to be a down weekend for movies due to the new Grand Theft Auto coming out.

Oh, did I mention the new Hulk trailer? I was one of the few that actually liked the first one (mainly because it was great exposition and addressed the suffering Bruce Banner would have to be going through), and now it looks like it's time for the Hulk to kick ass!

TackleMeBen
05-04-2008, 08:21 PM
i love xmen, so i might enjoy this.

PisnNapalm
05-04-2008, 08:56 PM
A far as comic based movies go, this one is a hit. I saw the very first showing last Friday morning. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I do not think it's the best comic adaptation though. The Xmen series are all fantastic and IMHO represent the best yet made. That said, I do recommend this movie to anyone who enjoys comics/superhero type movies.

Robert Downey Jr. is the perfect actor to play Tony Stark. He absolutely pulls it off flawlessly.

I rate this a 3.5 out of 4 on my comic book based movie scale. :)

Steeler in Carolina
05-04-2008, 10:42 PM
I am going to go next weekend to see it. Can't wait.

revefsreleets
05-05-2008, 08:37 AM
Xmen was great (especially the first one) but none of the comic adaptations was this much fun. It's one of the very, very few blockbuster type movies I've ever seen that actually lived up to the hype.

rbryan
05-05-2008, 08:48 AM
Am I the only one that sees something wrong with the comic book hero ironman being played by a habitual heroin addict? I guess Hollywood gave up on the notion that movie stars are also role models. Is it that hard to find someone who isn't a freakin junkie??

Good thing Robert Downey Jr isn't in the NFL, he would have surely been booted after his third or fourth arrest for drug possesion. Who's the genius that cast this washed up loser?? Way to keep it real in La La land. I wouldn't waste my hard earned money on this garbage.

verks36
05-05-2008, 08:58 AM
didnt see it I saw harlold and kumar return from guotonmo bay instead

stlrtruck
05-05-2008, 09:12 AM
Xmen was great (especially the first one) but none of the comic adaptations was this much fun. It's one of the very, very few blockbuster type movies I've ever seen that actually lived up to the hype.

I lost interest in X-Men when they failed to bring Gambit on to the big screen. Completely irked me to no end...

Dino 6 Rings
05-05-2008, 09:35 AM
Am I the only one that sees something wrong with the comic book hero ironman being played by a habitual heroin addict? I guess Hollywood gave up on the notion that movie stars are also role models. Is it that hard to find someone who isn't a freakin junkie??

Good thing Robert Downey Jr isn't in the NFL, he would have surely been booted after his third or fourth arrest for drug possesion. Who's the genius that cast this washed up loser?? Way to keep it real in La La land. I wouldn't waste my hard earned money on this garbage.

No, you aren't the only one that feels that way. Can't see this movie because of that jack hole in the lead role.

TackleMeBen
05-05-2008, 09:55 AM
I lost interest in X-Men when they failed to bring Gambit on to the big screen. Completely irked me to no end...
gambit was my favorite after wolverine in the cartoons. he was like the cool one..lol. i do think that they left the door open to make Xmen 4, so maybe if they do we can get gambit.

btw, anyone planning on going to see the new speed racer movie this weekend?

Mosca
05-05-2008, 01:10 PM
Best comic adaptation ever!

I've always been partial to Darkman.....

Crushzilla
05-05-2008, 01:25 PM
What a guy drives down Sunset Blvd naked with an unloaded .357 Mag, Coke, and Heroin and he's a bad guy? :hunch:

:chuckle:

I thought this movie was about Iron Mike... :helmet:

THAT I would go see.

TackleMeBen
05-05-2008, 04:24 PM
Marvel mines more precious metal with `Iron Man 2'

LOS ANGELES (AP) — This weekend was just the beginning of Hollywood's Iron age.

Marvel Studios announced Monday it will release "Iron Man 2" on April 30, 2010, following the success of the first in the comic-book franchise, which pulled in $104.2 million domestically since opening last Thursday and $201 million worldwide.

Four other films based on Marvel superheroes also were announced: "Thor," due out June 4, 2010; "The First Avenger: Captain America," May 6, 2011; "The Avengers," July 2011; and "Ant-Man," which is in development but has no release date.

http://portal.wowway.net/news/read.php?ps=1016&rip_id=%3CD90FKS1O0%40news.ap.org%3E&_LT=HOME_LARSDCCLM_UNEWS

tony hipchest
05-05-2008, 05:06 PM
Marvel mines more precious metal with `Iron Man 2'

LOS ANGELES (AP) This weekend was just the beginning of Hollywood's Iron age.

Marvel Studios announced Monday it will release "Iron Man 2" on April 30, 2010, following the success of the first in the comic-book franchise, which pulled in $104.2 million domestically since opening last Thursday and $201 million worldwide.

Four other films based on Marvel superheroes also were announced: "Thor," due out June 4, 2010; "The First Avenger: Captain America," May 6, 2011; "The Avengers," July 2011; and "Ant-Man," which is in development but has no release date.

http://portal.wowway.net/news/read.php?ps=1016&rip_id=%3CD90FKS1O0%40news.ap.org%3E&_LT=HOME_LARSDCCLM_UNEWSi thought i read a while back that they were gonna make NAMOR- the Sub Mariner. but wow! Thor and Capt America??? i cant wait to see how they pull off Thor.

anyone wanna take a crack at who shold be cast? its gonna be tough to find somebody with the acting skillz of downey jr. or toby mcguire with the size and build of arnold.

TackleMeBen
05-05-2008, 05:09 PM
i thought i read a while back that they were gonna make NAMOR- the Sub Mariner. but wow! Thor and Capt America??? i cant wait to see how they pull off Thor.

anyone wanna take a crack at who shold be cast? its gonna be tough to find somebody with the acting skillz of downey jr. or toby mcguire with the size and build of arnold.

we can just computer generate someone like that. you know but downey jr heads on arnolds body..lol..:flap:

tony hipchest
05-05-2008, 05:24 PM
we can just computer generate someone like that. you know but downey jr heads on arnolds body..lol..:flap:nah, its gotta be a real person. im not sure a well known actor will get either part. in staying true to the character, i think a slimmed down version of heath miller would be a perfect Capt America, and Faneca would make an excellent Thor.

TackleMeBen
05-05-2008, 05:26 PM
nah, its gotta be a real person. im not sure a well known actor will get either part. in staying true to the character, i think a slimmed down version of heath miller would be a perfect Capt America, and Faneca would make an excellent Thor.
well when faneca retires he can work on a career in acting:wink02:

revefsreleets
05-05-2008, 05:52 PM
As for Downey, he paid his due's, went to jail, was b-listed for awhile (there was a time when he was a shooting star...he was absolutely brilliant in "Chaplin"). Dude's an actor, not running for office or a doctor operating on people or an engineer building things. If he's clean and sober God bless...

I found a plot synopsis for "The Incredbile Hulk", by the by, and it is definitely going to give Iron Man a run for it's money...they have a lot of fun with it...there is even some kind of reference to the purple stretch pants.

Dino 6 Rings
05-06-2008, 05:56 PM
Thor, i'd like to see that dude who played the Spartan King in 300. He'd be a bad assss Thor!

The Duke
05-06-2008, 06:31 PM
best comics movie so far

My only wish was they didn't screw the movie up cause Ironman's like my 3rd favorite comics character. I was not disappointed at all!

Captain america movie would definitely be awesome

tony hipchest
05-06-2008, 07:39 PM
did anyone stay for the sneak peak at the end of the credits? samuel jackson as nick fury recruiting ironman for operation avenger???? brilliant!!!

i can hear the comic book purists now...

"but... but... but... nick fury is WHITE!" :jawdrop:

revefsreleets
05-06-2008, 09:22 PM
Nope, but I've been seeing a lot of movies lately, so I'll pop in for a "double feature" soon and check it out...

KeiselPower99
05-25-2008, 02:05 AM
I think wwe wrestler Triple H would be an awesome Thor but it might be too cartoony. I did read where the Thor movie was gonna cost almost 300 Million bucks to make so they might be doing it like 300 or Sin city. Im stoked about the Captain America movie. And as far as Iron Man goes I thought it was awesome. And I cant wait to see the new batman this summer. My favorite comic movie is probably The Punisher with Thomas Jane. Spiderman 3 was good too.

lilyoder6
05-25-2008, 10:54 AM
no i didn't stay to the end of the movie like i usually do.. :( i missed it.. :(

but i knew the plot of the hulk movie a while back and it might be good but they changed the hulk and the chick he loved.. so idk.. and captain america the actor is most likely gonna be the dewayne "the rock" johnson