PDA

View Full Version : Mendenhall injures hamstring.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
05-03-2008, 08:27 PM
Mendenhall injures a hamstring
By BOB LABRIOLA
Steelers.com

Last year, it was Lawrence Timmons’ groin. This year, it’s Rashard Mendenhall’s hamstring. And none of it surprises Coach Mike Tomlin.

Last May, Timmons arrived as the team’s No. 1 draft pick, but after taking part in one full minicamp practice, he was injured and ended up missing the rest of the offseason program. This year, Mendenhall was the No. 1 pick, and after taking part in both minicamp practices on Friday, he missed both sessions on Saturday with what was termed a slight hamstring strain.

“It’s a precaution right now,” said Tomlin about the decision to sideline Mendenhall. “He has somewhat of a hamstring injury. It’s becoming somewhat commonplace for some of these high-round draft picks to have this situation happen to them during minicamp weekend. It happened to Lawrence last year, it happened to (No. 2 pick LaMarr) Woodley last year.”

It’s unlikely that Mendenhall will return to the field for Sunday’s finale, but Tomlin doesn’t expect his injury to linger as long as Timmons’.

“The schedule that these guys are on is really not conducive for preparing them to come in and meet what awaits them in terms of minicamp,” said Tomlin. “They go through the combine and they go to their pro day, and then they go on this city tour, where they’re visiting with respective teams and they have functions they need to go to.

“When they’re in college, they spend a lot of time in winter conditioning programs getting ready to play spring football. It’s an awkward time for these young guys, because they’re not really a part of a team as they prepare for the draft. They miss a little bit of that, and injuries happen. But like last year, it’s short-term misery. It’s not going to define him. It allows him to take a step back, and watch and take some mental reps.”

If the health news on Mendenhall was something less than ideal, Tomlin was tickled to talk about the progress two of his veteran players have been making after needing season-ending surgeries last year.

Ryan Clark did not play after the Oct. 21 game in Denver, and he eventually had to have his spleen and gall bladder removed. After losing between 25 and 30 pounds during the entire ordeal, Clark has returned and taken part in every portion of the offseason program to date.

“If you know Ryan, you don’t count him out of anything,” said Tomlin. “He has a great spirit, he’s a great competitor, he has passion and loves to play the game of football. He’s in the process of marching back, and you probably won’t know (how he will do) until we go out and play football. We like where he is right now, and I’m sure he’s glad to be back out there with his teammates. His teammates are happy to have him, and he’s a great leader.”

Marvel Smith battled back spasms for portions of last season, and his injury ultimately required surgery as well. He missed five complete games.

“When you feel good your spirits are uplifted, and all reports are that Marvel is feeling as good as he’s felt in a long time,” said Tomlin. “It’s the sacrifice these men make to play this game. A lot of times you play in less than ideal circumstances in terms of health – it’s part of it. But when you deal with those situations like he has and you come through the other side and you’re feeling good, you really appreciate it. That’s what you see from him.”

MINICAMP NOTES: Tomlin said he excused Ben Roethlisberger from the afternoon session so that the quarterback could attend to some personal matters … Darnell Stapleton had been given permission to miss Friday, and he was back on Saturday … After one practice on Sunday, minicamp will end. The players are not allowed to gather as a complete team again until OTAs resume on May 20.

http://http://news.steelers.com/article/89225/

Kaeg
05-03-2008, 08:29 PM
Argh.....! I hope it's not serious as coach T implies.

stillers4me
05-03-2008, 08:30 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! !!!!

ok.........I feel ...........somewhat......... better now.

Hypocycloid
05-03-2008, 09:12 PM
Hey, If it is common place for this to happen, and has now happened to Timmons, Woodley, and now Mendenhall; wouldn't ya think it might be a good idea to do something about it? If the rookies are not conditioned because of the travelling, etc., leading up to the draft, maybe it might be a good idea to move the mini-camp back a week or two (isn't that when Cowher had his). Two give them time to get their conditioning back up. Perhaps not run them as hard?

Obviously there is a problem that MT knows about since he spoke about it.

If the electric fence keeps shocking you, maybe you should quit touching it.

Preacher
05-03-2008, 09:20 PM
MENDENHALL IS A BUST!

WHY DID WE PICK HIM?

Slight hamstring pull? That is code for.. RIPPED IT TOO SHREDS.

Oh wait... that's right. His name isn't Timmons, so everyone will be patient with him. My bad.

fansince'76
05-03-2008, 09:25 PM
MENDENHALL IS A BUST!

WHY DID WE PICK HIM?

Oh wait... that's right. His name isn't Timmons, so everyone will be patient with him. My bad.

:chuckle:

Da Steeler Soprano
05-03-2008, 09:32 PM
Timmons sux

Atlanta Dan
05-03-2008, 09:33 PM

Not me - who no doubt designed the play on which Mendenhall was injured? - Arians!

This is yet one more calamity for which Arians bears complete responsibility.

fansince'76
05-03-2008, 09:35 PM
Not me - who no doubt designed the play on which Mendenhall was injured? - Arians!

This is yet one more calamity for which Arians bears complete responsibility.

Nah, it's all Willie's fault! :chuckle:

BlastFurnace
05-03-2008, 09:46 PM

...why did we cut Kuhn last year:mad:

stillers4me
05-03-2008, 09:48 PM
I miss our sweatsuit model.

fansince'76
05-03-2008, 10:02 PM

Probably because he isn't that good.

Hapa
05-03-2008, 10:48 PM
Why are you guys all so down on Mendehall?

Preacher
05-03-2008, 11:19 PM

Trust me... Its sarcasm.

None of us are down on Mendehall

Steel Buckeye
05-03-2008, 11:36 PM
I hope he gets well soon. I don't understand all the pressure on Mendenhall and Timmons. I don't expect them to contribute right away, but see them as the future of this team. Keep in mind that Mendenhall is almost 7 years younger than Willie and that Timmons is over 10 years younger than Farrior.

The Duke
05-03-2008, 11:42 PM

:jawdrop:

blasphemy!

hall of famers are always good

verks36
05-03-2008, 11:43 PM
Mendenhall biggest bust of an RB ever worst 1rst round pick the steelers have ever made. Alornzo Jackson was a 100000X better pick then him. He probbly tore his mcl and acl and dislocated his shoulder

Preacher
05-03-2008, 11:48 PM
Mendenhall biggest bust of an RB ever worst 1rst round pick the steelers have ever made. Alornzo Jackson was a 100000X better pick then him. He probbly tore his mcl and acl and dislocated his shoulder

You know... if he had worked out more....

Edman
05-04-2008, 12:01 AM
Another case of rookie doing too much to impress everybody?

I bet he isn't even that hurt. Oh well, what a bust.:flap:

Rhee Rhee
05-04-2008, 01:25 AM
sweed isnt hurt.. :)

Boomerang
05-04-2008, 05:21 AM
Mendenhall has time to get himself right he will still feature in game time this campaign.

Aussie_steeler
05-04-2008, 05:51 AM
Hey, If it is common place for this to happen, and has now happened to Timmons, Woodley, and now Mendenhall; wouldn't ya think it might be a good idea to do something about it? If the rookies are not conditioned because of the travelling, etc., leading up to the draft, maybe it might be a good idea to move the mini-camp back a week or two (isn't that when Cowher had his). Two give them time to get their conditioning back up. Perhaps not run them as hard?

Obviously there is a problem that MT knows about since he spoke about it.

If the electric fence keeps shocking you, maybe you should quit touching it.

Im with you 100% on this one.

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-04-2008, 06:43 AM
I would think the learning curve for the running back position isnt as steep as that for OLB....even if he misses significant time, I think he will be ready on day one.

HometownGal
05-04-2008, 07:00 AM

Nahhhhhh. George Bush is reported to have been in the area. It's HIS damned fault. :wink02::chuckle:

Galax Steeler
05-04-2008, 07:01 AM
They said it was a slight hamstring injury so he should be ready when camp begins.

JanBr7
05-04-2008, 08:58 AM
You guys are funny. The sky is falling! The sky is falling! I have a feeling Timmons is going to come into his own this season. It's just a feeling, though.

I got a kick out of ESPN, who said Ben was excused from afternoon practice to attend to a prior engagement, but that he "looked sharp" making "all the throws" in three practices, and that he seemed to have a good grasp of the offense.

What the? Did they expect him to suddenly turn into a dirveling idiot after three months away from football?

stillers4me
05-04-2008, 09:09 AM
You guys are funny. The sky is falling! The sky is falling! I have a feeling Timmons is going to come into his own this season. It's just a feeling, though.

I got a kick out of ESPN, who said Ben was excused from afternoon practice to attend to a prior engagement, but that he "looked sharp" making "all the throws" in three practices, and that he seemed to have a good grasp of the offense.

What the? Did they expect him to suddenly turn into a dirveling idiot after three months away from football?

Hey, what did you expect? Ben's no Carson Palmer, ya know? :blah::blah:

SteelerFanInATL
05-04-2008, 09:16 AM
Looking forward to seeing him play this year. Would hate to wait until next year too see him play.

St33lersguy
05-04-2008, 09:18 AM
That's perfect. The Steelers draft out of need in the 1st round to get a guy to split carries with Willie Parker and he suffers an injury in MINICAMP!!!! Hopefully this doesn't start some sort of injury trend. Who's the next Steeler to get injured. :banging: :mad:

xXTheSteelKingsXx
05-04-2008, 09:19 AM
I blame the Rooneys who, in all there cheapness, forced Mendenhall to practice on a field unfit for physical activities resulting in the injury.:sofunny:

stillers4me
05-04-2008, 09:37 AM
I blame the Rooneys who, in all there cheapness, forced Mendenhall to practice on a field unfit for physical activities resulting in the injury.:sofunny:

But now they're saying AstroTurf causes........cancer! And here I thought it only causes broken fibulas. :noidea:

St33lersguy
05-04-2008, 09:40 AM
:mad: Wasted 1st round pick

ChronoCross
05-04-2008, 10:33 AM
its not a wasted first round pick ... but the last two years .. it is wierd are first round picks start off with hammy problems... but that is football.. it comes with injuries.. they heal and and back to work..

19ward86
05-04-2008, 10:43 AM
why does nobody like timmons?

BettisFan
05-04-2008, 10:49 AM
mendenhall's tough he will be fine

Elvis
05-04-2008, 10:57 AM
:doh: No, I think your taking that a little too far bud. I think that we have had some bad luck the last 2 years. I just hope that Rashard is in alot better condition to rebound from this injury quicker than Timmons did last year. And I believe that it held Lamar Woodley back alot last year as well. Its better that it happens now than the first week of training camp

X-Terminator
05-04-2008, 01:18 PM

Because of a SLIGHT hamstring pull???

Atlanta Dan
05-04-2008, 01:21 PM
why does nobody like timmons?

He was out of shape in the pre-draft testing and ran a slow 40, but Tomlin still had a mancrush on him (which he blurted out in the pre-draft press conference) and drafted him at 15 even though the Steelers could have traded down and still drafted Timmons.

He then injures his groin in mini-camp and aggravated it in training camp, which arguably was related to Timmons getting fat pre-draft.

Timmons had one big year at FSU when the ACC was down - combine that with not doing squat (he was not drafted to be a functional special teams player) in his first year and some of us question the pick.

Timmons fans point out Troy struggled in 2003 but Troy had a history at USC that leaves Timmons in the dust - of course Troy had a monster second season - lets see if Timmons can even beat out Foote for an ILB starters slot this season.

I am not saying the pick is a bust but Timmons needs to step it up this season.

stillers4me
05-04-2008, 01:21 PM
Me thinks someone will be eating his words come midseason. (about Menenhall. I'm still holding out hope for Timmons)

But that's ok.........we've all been wrong at least once. :chuckle:

BlastFurnace
05-04-2008, 01:23 PM

I know...I meant it as a joke.

fansince'76
05-04-2008, 01:24 PM
I know...I meant it as a joke.

:doh: :chuckle:

BlastFurnace
05-04-2008, 01:25 PM
Nahhhhhh. George Bush is reported to have been in the area. It's HIS damned fault. :wink02::chuckle:

I tend to lean more towards the culprit being Global Warming.

stillers4me
05-04-2008, 01:27 PM
I tend to lean more towards the culprit being Global Warming.

So you're saying cow farts caused Mendenhall to pull his hammy?????? :chuckle:

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-04-2008, 03:45 PM
So you're saying cow farts caused Mendenhall to pull his hammy?????? :chuckle:

Silly rabbit....hammy comes from pigs....not cows.:wink02:

Crushzilla
05-04-2008, 03:57 PM

Is this why I just saw him at the Penguin game? :sofunny:

"But coach, I have Pens tickets!"

SteelersTilIDie
05-04-2008, 06:36 PM
MENDENHALL IS A BUST!

WHY DID WE PICK HIM?

Because he is a hell of a lot better than any of the remaining players, including all of the offensive lineman. Every other team was reaching for OT because they were coming off the board so fast. Mendenhall is not a bust, he was by far the Best player available, and he doesnt have a lot of mileage on his tires, and if he is such a bust then why are all the analysts praising us for the pick??

JanBr7
05-04-2008, 07:00 PM

Either that or a very important poker/black jack game! Another theory -- he had to go home and wait for the cable guy! :sofunny:

OneForTheToe
05-04-2008, 08:05 PM
You know what probably happened some little string bean probably thought he was better than Mendenhall - and you know what that means - "It's Go time."

Mendenhall,Mendenhall,Mendenhall !!!!!!

TackleMeBen
05-04-2008, 08:29 PM

well if the pens had lost the game today we could have blamed him for the loss b/c he was there..lol...:wink02:

BettisFan
05-04-2008, 08:46 PM
anyone know when he will be back practicing?

JanBr7
05-04-2008, 08:48 PM
He was actually there today, according to Steelers Notes. He only missed one practice, the second one on Saturday.

TackleMeBen
05-04-2008, 08:52 PM
He was actually there today, according to Steelers Notes. He only missed one practice, the second one on Saturday.
not to sound rude, but who cares if he is there are not. we know he is good and can do what he wants... i mean this is the guy who got his way with the coaching staff, by getting them to draft a tall WR..lol :flap:

BettisFan
05-04-2008, 09:05 PM
good i am happy to hear he is ok

Haiku_Dirtt
05-05-2008, 02:23 AM

The Buckeye fans are still bitter. If he didn't take a snap all year I wouldn't care. What's the difference between 8-8 and 9-7?

DRAFT POSITION.

Preacher
05-05-2008, 03:31 AM
not to sound rude, but who cares if he is there are not. we know he is good and can do what he wants... i mean this is the guy who got his way with the coaching staff, by getting them to draft a tall WR..lol :flap:

Actually TMB...

It is needed for him to be there... because he needs to develop timing with his receivers after taking so much time off.

Especially Sweed....

TackleMeBen
05-05-2008, 08:06 AM
Actually TMB...

It is needed for him to be there... because he needs to develop timing with his receivers after taking so much time off.

Especially Sweed....

well then i guess he better give up his gambling for the summer then :sofunny::sofunny:.. and they only have one new reciever that he needs to work with..lol... you know the tall one he begged for..lol.. (note i am being a smart butt :wink02:)

Preacher
05-05-2008, 05:19 PM

blasphemy!

:rofl:

You gotta love the circular logic!!

it makes for the best kind of sarcasm !!

Preacher
05-05-2008, 05:20 PM
well then i guess he better give up his gambling for the summer then :sofunny::sofunny:.. and they only have one new reciever that he needs to work with..lol... you know the tall one he begged for..lol.. (note i am being a smart butt :wink02:)

You notice he also walked into camp on Sunday... even after being excused?

Your boy is growing up into a real leader.

TackleMeBen
05-05-2008, 05:21 PM
You notice he also walked into camp on Sunday... even after being excused?

Your boy is growing up into a real leader.
NO NO NO he cant do that.. then i cant rag on him anymore... I think i need to have a long talk with him about this.:wink02:

St33lersguy
05-05-2008, 05:39 PM

blasphemy!

Are you seriously talking about Mendenhall? The guy is months away from his 1st NFL game.

fansince'76
05-05-2008, 05:44 PM
Are you seriously talking about Mendenhall? The guy is months away from his 1st NFL game.

Nope, we were talking about John Kuhn - it's been a running joke on the board for a while. :chuckle:

blasphemy!

43Hitman
05-05-2008, 06:10 PM
I am going to write in John Kuhn on my ballot for President!!

TackleMeBen
05-05-2008, 06:14 PM
he cant be any worse than the ones that are running now:wink02:

stlrtruck
05-06-2008, 08:40 AM
he cant be any worse than the ones that are running now:wink02:

No but he can damn sure be a lot better :tt03:

TackleMeBen
05-06-2008, 08:42 AM
No but he can damn sure be a lot better :tt03:
:thumbsup::thumbsup: my 9 yr old can be better than the ones that are running now..lol

Dino 6 Rings
05-06-2008, 10:44 AM
:thumbsup::thumbsup: my 9 yr old can be better than the ones that are running now..lol

DANG IT People!

I just pulled my hammy laughing at the Kuhn comments!!!!

going to have to put myself on the IR.

Kvnfaber
05-06-2008, 10:51 AM
He'll be fine, I think often times the problem with these rooks and tweaking things is that they come into minicamp and they go all out right from the getgo trying to impress.

Take it easy and work hard, but know your body and its condition, because you can't impress if your sitting on ice on the bench.

TackleMeBen
05-06-2008, 10:51 AM
DANG IT People!

see its kuhn's fault you are on the IR. lol.

TackleMeBen
05-06-2008, 10:52 AM
He'll be fine, I think often times the problem with these rooks and tweaking things is that they come into minicamp and they go all out right from the getgo trying to impress.

Take it easy and work hard, but know your body and its condition, because you can't impress if your sitting on ice on the bench.

yeah just ask timmons about that last year. :wink02:

stlrtruck
05-06-2008, 11:11 AM
DANG IT People!

Come on D5R - this isn't your first off-season you should be in better conditioning than this by now!!

Now I'm going to have to go out and get some FA poster to cover your roster spot while you heal up! I'm not sure our salary cap can handle that type of hit..

Maybe it's time we talk contract restructuring with your agent, possibly trade too. I've heard the bungles are willing to give up food and beverage for an entire weekend for someone of your rhetoric talents.

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-06-2008, 11:55 AM

John Kuhn is to Steelers Fever....What Chuck Norris is to the U.S. Military.

1) John Kuhn can eat just one Lay's potato chip.
2) John Kuhn can sneeze with his eyes open.
3) John Kuhn is suing Myspace for taking the name of what he calls everything around you.
4) John Kuhn can kill two stones with one bird.
5) John Kuhn uses pepper spray to spice up his steaks.
6) John Kuhn can win a game of Connect Four in only three moves.
7) There is no theory of evolution, just a list of creatures John Kuhn allows to live.
8) If you spell "John Kuhn" in Scrabble, you win.... Forever.
9) John Kuhn is not hung like a horse... horses are hung like John Kuhn.
10) John Kuhn once bet NASA he could survive re-entry without a spacesuit. On July 19th, 1999, a naked John Kuhn re-entered the earth's atmosphere, streaking over 14 states and reaching a temperature of 3000 degrees. An embarrassed NASA publically claimed it was a meteor... and still owes him a beer.

DACEB
05-06-2008, 12:09 PM
And I thought Bill Brasky was a bad ass!!

tony hipchest
05-06-2008, 12:33 PM

:jawdrop: john "holmes" kuhn???? :yeehaw:

an oldie but a goodie-

:whistle:

Big John
Big John

Every morning at the mine you could see him arrive
He stood six-foot-six and weighed two-forty-five
Kinda broad at the shoulder and narrow at the hip
Everybody knew you didn't give no lip to Big John

Big John
Big John
Big Bad John
Big John

Nobody seemed to know where John called home
He just drifted into town and stayed all alone
He didn't say much, kinda quiet and shy
If ya spoke at all, ya just said hi to Big John

Somebody said he came from New Orleans
Where he got in a fight o'er a cajun queen
And a crashin' blow from a huge right hand
Sent a Lousianna fella to the promised land, Big John

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-06-2008, 12:41 PM
:jawdrop: john "holmes" kuhn???? :yeehaw:

an oldie but a goodie-

:applaudit:

When the Boogeyman goes to sleep every night, he checks his closet for John Kuhn.

John Kuhn is the reason why Waldo is hiding.

John Kuhn is so fast, he can run around the world and punch himself in the back of the head.

John Kuhn counted to infinity - twice.

stlrtruck
05-06-2008, 01:31 PM
Someone should send John Kuhn the link to this thread!!!

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-06-2008, 03:35 PM
John Kuhn can set ants on fire with a magnifying glass...At night.

Once you go Kuhn, you are physically unable to go back.

John Kuhn can lead a horse to water AND make it drink.

John Kuhn did in fact, build Rome in a day.

John Kuhn was what Willis was talkin' about.

John Kuhn CAN believe it's not butter.

Dino 6 Rings
05-06-2008, 03:41 PM
Come on D5R - this isn't your first off-season you should be in better conditioning than this by now!!

Now I'm going to have to go out and get some FA poster to cover your roster spot while you heal up! I'm not sure our salary cap can handle that type of hit..

Maybe it's time we talk contract restructuring with your agent, possibly trade too. I've heard the bungles are willing to give up food and beverage for an entire weekend for someone of your rhetoric talents.

The Bengals couldn't handle me, they don't enjoy my type of intensity. Bunch of slackers over there. :tt02:

stlrtruck
05-06-2008, 03:58 PM

The Bengals couldn't handle me, they don't enjoy my type of intensity. Bunch of slackers over there. :tt02:

I wasn't worried about what they could handle, I was looking at what we were getting. That food and drink is starting to look real good. However, I'm having difficulty pulling the trigger - I'm not sure they understand the damage that Steelers fans can do to food and beverage and that they wouldn't be able to truly provide enough.

I guess we're "stuck" wth you (LOL) :drink:

43Hitman
05-06-2008, 04:03 PM
John Kuhn is to Steelers Fever....What Chuck Norris is to the U.S. Military.

1) John Kuhn can eat just one Lay's potato chip.
2) John Kuhn can sneeze with his eyes open.
3) John Kuhn is suing Myspace for taking the name of what he calls everything around you.
4) John Kuhn can kill two stones with one bird.
5) John Kuhn uses pepper spray to spice up his steaks.
6) John Kuhn can win a game of Connect Four in only three moves.
7) There is no theory of evolution, just a list of creatures John Kuhn allows to live.
8) If you spell "John Kuhn" in Scrabble, you win.... Forever.
10) John Kuhn once bet NASA he could survive re-entry without a spacesuit. On July 19th, 1999, a naked John Kuhn re-entered the earth's atmosphere, streaking over 14 states and reaching a temperature of 3000 degrees. An embarrassed NASA publically claimed it was a meteor... and still owes him a beer.

:sofunny: Classic :sofunny: :tt02:

Dino 6 Rings
05-06-2008, 05:54 PM
John Kuhn is the love child of Jack Bower and Chuck Norris.

Preacher
05-06-2008, 06:10 PM
http://fusion-tec.net/images/smilies/threadjacked.gif

The Duke
05-06-2008, 06:27 PM
Someone should send John Kuhn the link to this thread!!!

Oh, believe me, he knows. kuhn knows everything. John Kuhn IS RIGHT BEHIND YOU. :chuckle:

Preacher
05-07-2008, 02:35 AM
You know.....

This thread proves one point.....

We need a sarcasm smiley!

http://site.mauishirts.com/images/smiley-wink.gif Its all Tomlin's fault.. he doesn't yell or spit enough!

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-07-2008, 04:33 AM
Oh, believe me, he knows. kuhn knows everything. John Kuhn IS RIGHT BEHIND YOU. :chuckle:

:sofunny::sofunny::sofunny:

TackleMeBen
05-07-2008, 07:32 AM
You know.....

This thread proves one point.....

We need a sarcasm smiley!

http://site.mauishirts.com/images/smiley-wink.gif Its all Tomlin's fault.. he doesn't yell or spit enough!
tomlin cant yell, b/c ben doesnt respond well to yelling :sofunny::sofunny:

stlrtruck
05-07-2008, 09:16 AM

And he just made me shite my drawers! :rofl: but he did apologize (I think that's what that grimace was anyway).