PDA

View Full Version : OFFENSIVE FREE AGENTS

steelymcmatt
05-04-2008, 08:32 PM
First of all, I understand that a franchise is built through the draft. However, I also know that the consistently successful teams (Patriots, Colts etc.) are very good at using older, more experienced players in situational roles and almost as player coaches or at least mentors. With that in mind, I went on walterfootball.com and looked at the available offensive free agents. I've highlighted a few names that I think we should consider, although ultimately the signings will depend on salary demands. For your consideration:

CENTERS:
John Welbourn, Chiefs. Age: 32
Rick DeMulling, Redskins. Age: 31
Chris Naeole, Jaguars. Age: 33
Tony Palmer, Packers. Age: 25
Aaron Merz, Bills. Age: 25
Gene Mruczkowski, Dolphins. Age: 28
Adrien Clarke, Jets. Age: 27
Mike Pucillo, Redskins. Age: 29
Ike Ndukwe, Dolphins. Age: 26

Tackles:
Shane Olivea, Chargers. Age: 26 Not sure how this guy isn't signed yet!
Erik Pears, Broncos. Age: 26
Anthony Clement, Jets. Age: 32
Corey Lekkerkerker, Dolphins. Age: 27
Mike Rosenthal, Dolphins. Age: 31
Adrian Jones, Chiefs. Age: 27
Stockar McDougle, Jaguars. Age: 31
Fred Miller, Bears. Age: 35
Ross Tucker, Redskins. Age: 29
Nat Dorsey, Browns. Age: 25
Tyson Walter, Packers. Age: 30
Adam Kieft (RFA), Bengals. Age: 26
Tom Ashworth, Seahawks. Age: 30
Wayne Gandy, Falcons. Age: 37
Oliver Ross, Cardinals. Age: 33
Chris Terry, Chiefs. Age: 33
Barry Sims, Raiders. Age: 33
Chris Bober, Chiefs. Age: 31
Barry Stokes, Lions. Age: 34
Todd Steussie, Rams. Age: 37
Chase Johnson (ERFA), Vikings. Age: 24

WIDE RECIEVERS:
Eric Moulds, Titans. Age: 35
Eddie Kennison, Chiefs. Age: 35
David Givens, Titans. Age: 28
Aaron Moorehead, Colts. Age: 27.
Tim Carter, Browns. Age: 28
Keenan McCardell, Redskins. Age: 38[/B
]Troy Walters, Lions. Age: 31
Peerless Price, Bills. Age: 31
Carlyle Holiday, Packers. Age: 26
[B]Beer Man Lewis, 49ers. Age: 36 We should sign him just for his cool name!Bryan Gilmore, 49ers. Age: 30
Tim Dwight, Raiders. Age: 33
Jamin Elliott, Falcons. Age 28
Charles Sharon, Jaguars. Age: 25
Mike Espy, Redskins. Age: 25
Steven Harris, Redskins. Age: 26
C.J. Brewer, 49ers. Age: 26
Derrick Hamilton, Broncos. Age: 26
Joel Filani, vikings. Age 24

19ward86
05-04-2008, 08:49 PM
I have already signed Cory Lerkerkerkerkerkerkerkerkerkerkerkerkerkerkerker.. .

BettisFan
05-04-2008, 08:57 PM
ok in this case i would sign one or two o-lineman if possible then build from there

steelymcmatt
05-05-2008, 08:59 AM
ok in this case i would sign one or two o-lineman if possible then build from there

I agree, but which ones?:coffee:

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-05-2008, 09:50 AM
I agree, but which ones?:coffee:

Exactly, there is nobody on those O-line lists that will improve the Steelers this season. At best, there are some guys with equal talent.....but a lot of guys that are past their prime.

SteelersTilIDie
05-05-2008, 11:16 AM
i think they should definitely look at olivea or erik pears at tackle

Elvis
05-05-2008, 12:48 PM
WR Keenan McCardell would interest me just for the fact that he could be a coach on the field. He has a lot of experience and he could pass that on to our younger recievers.
:tt02:

onthebus36
05-05-2008, 12:57 PM
WR Keenan McCardell would interest me just for the fact that he could be a coach on the field. He has a lot of experience and he could pass that on to our younger recievers.
:tt02:

Don't we have that right now with Hines?

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_565709.html

Overall, I don't think there are any steals on this list. For one team to miss a guy or pass over a guy because he's not a good fit, fine. But these guys have been passed over by all 32 teams.

Dino 6 Rings
05-05-2008, 03:37 PM
Has anyone ever looked at our draft picks over the last 10 years and figured out who is still on the team?

http://kdka.com/sports/Steelers.draft.2.382712.html

Interesting to see who has made it onto the roster and who hasn't. Seems like pretty solid 1 and 2 picks and then, its hit or miss. 2003 2nd round Alonzo Jackson. 2001 2nd round Kendrell Bell. 2006 was the first 3rd round "bust" we've had in a while. Willie Reid just hasn't gotten it done. Although 2004, 2nd round, Colclough? From Tusclum? Not sure what that was about.

St33lersguy
05-05-2008, 04:43 PM
The Steelers need to get some O-lineman in free-agency. They would be wise to get some if they want to improve over last year's 53 sacks in 17 games performance.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-05-2008, 05:49 PM
The Steelers need to get some O-lineman in free-agency. They would be wise to get some if they want to improve over last year's 53 sacks in 17 games performance.

Like who?? The problem is I see that list and there are some good names....but the guys are all 35 and older.

Then there are some names of guys that are young and have upside.....but their current teams never saw that upside develop, so they are free agents.

Its kind of a list of yard sale stuff we cant use or doesnt work anymore.

Steelman16
05-05-2008, 06:24 PM
Like who?? The problem is I see that list and there are some good names....but the guys are all 35 and older.

Then there are some names of guys that are young and have upside.....but their current teams never saw that upside develop, so they are free agents.

Its kind of a list of yard sale stuff we cant use or doesnt work anymore.

Plus it's not like the people we have now are complete trash...(well, aside from Mahan... :wink02: ) ...

I'm kinda (slowly) buying into Tomlin saying we DO have a good O-Line. Hopefully a solid TC and preseason (with no injuries!) will help solidfy the unit we currently have. Because, as EGJ said, there aren't FA's that could make it any better IMO.

St33lersguy
05-06-2008, 05:54 PM
Plus it's not like the people we have now are complete trash...(well, aside from Mahan... :wink02: ) ...

Even if MOST of the O-lineman are not complete garbage as INDIVIDUALS this is almost the same O-line that sucked as a UNIT, plus the changes were the addition a couple of OK at best players and the loss of one of the greatest Lineman to play for the black and gold.

Preacher
05-06-2008, 05:56 PM
Even if MOST of the O-lineman are not complete garbage as INDIVIDUALS this is almost the same O-line that sucked as a UNIT, plus the changes were the addition a couple of OK at best players and the loss of one of the greatest Lineman to play for the black and gold.

We lost him two years ago. However, we had a shell of him over the last couple years, and wasn't worth the money to keep the reputation around when the work didn't match the rep.

slashsteel
05-06-2008, 06:10 PM
well said Preacher..............

ChronoCross
05-06-2008, 11:56 PM
With what money. Why even look at FA anymore this season. This is are team. Time to sign the Draft picks. Hopefully they find the right combo to make the Current O Line Gell. We have talent at O Line just need to figure that jig saw puzzle out. Mahan of course was not going to pan out only playing 8 games at center before he came to us. Faneca playing not to get injured and not caring. Faneca was like Cowher already has his bags packed before season started. Its time to look at what we got and thats it.