PDA

View Full Version : Peter King ranks the Teams for 08

Dino 6 Rings
05-05-2008, 11:50 AM
Interesting read if you have the time:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/peter_king/05/02/rankings/index.html

Top 12 (with my comments)

1. New England (did they get better on defense and get a new running back I didn't hear about? Did their oline get better at pass blocking? Do they still have their 3 receivers?)
2. Indy (how's harrison doing anyway?)
3. Jacksonville (cause one good year means their QB is top in the league, yeah right)
4. Dallas (win a playoff game sometime this decade)
5. San Diego (cause we all know Norv Turner teams get better...don't they?)
6. Giants (Is Strahan even playing?)
7. Minnesota (One running back does not a top team make)
8. Green Bay (so they'll be just as good without Favre? yeah, ok.)
9. Cleveland (seriously? Cleveland as a top 10 pick? Don't they play the same teams as the Steelers this season? Don't they play Pittsburgh Twice?)
10. Carolina (Have they been even near mediocre in the last 4 years?)
11. Philadelphia (who? Did they get new receivers I didn't hear about?)
12. Pittsburgh (ok, a brutal schedule, but 12th? Put it on the Bullentin board please!)

The Duke
05-05-2008, 12:03 PM
so basically you think none of them deserves a top 10 :sofunny:

imo, only Carolina, minnesota, and philly don't deserve top 10. cleveland maybe, we'll see how they do this season

Jax should not be 3rd, they're good, but they need to win their division before cracking the top 3.

giants should be # 1. super bowl champions that showed lots of improvement late last season after all

as for our steelers, I'd say 7th.

Mosca
05-05-2008, 12:08 PM
I can't argue with the top 7. I'd put us 8th, behind GB. Brooks is pretty good, IMO, and should keep them near where they were last year.

But even King himself says that rankings like this are worthless, that they only show the ignorance of the writer. But people like them, and like to read them, and like to argue with them, so he writes them.

fansince'76
05-05-2008, 12:27 PM
The Patriots' response to almost getting Brady killed in the Super Bowl -- basically, doing nothing on the offensive line in free-agency or the draft -- tells me Dante Scarnecchia, New England's offensive line guru since the Hannah years, will figure out a way to seal the cracks.

....or they'll figure out a new way to cheat. 'sall good. :coffee:

I hope Golden Boy gets the shit kicked out of him all year.

Crushzilla
05-05-2008, 12:40 PM
The Patriots' pass protection was only really blown up in the Super Bowl. The Giants' defensive line is absolutely nasty. As of right now, our Offensive Line is going to be in a lot of trouble when we play them. Not having them, the Patriots, in the top 2, at this time, is absolutely impossible. A record breaking offense which didn't take much of a hit in the offseason.

I guess that rationale of having Cleveland ahead of Pittsburgh is offseason acquisitions. While I feel the Steelers made out in the long run (since they actually HAD draft picks), one could easily argue that the Browns made larger "now" additions, adding veterans.

Hey. we're in the playoffs here... Can't argue with that :thumbsup:

That's all it takes to have a shot.

steelreserve
05-05-2008, 12:47 PM
I can't remember a single time in the last decade or so that some combination of New England and Indy hasn't been 1-2 in the experts' preseason predictions. It means absolutely nothing, except that it's getting so annoying by now that I hope the "experts" go die in a fire.

I really don't think any NFC team should be higher than 8th or 10th. Yeah, the Giants did a good job and I thank them, but let's face it -- most of the NFC teams with winning records only got that way because they have to play each other all the time, so someone's got to win by default. For the most part, it's just BAD football in that conference.

Elvis
05-05-2008, 12:59 PM
:coffee:You Read It Here First Folks!!!

The Steelers will be on top of that list before the season is finished in Tampa. The Steelers if they can stay healthy this year and Ben continues to improve on his accuracy then the Steelers are gonna be one of the teams to beat.. no doubt in my mind. Ben had 32 td's last year... and only 11 ints. The best year in Steelers history probably... Just imagine what kind of numbers he could have put up if he had some good blocking in front of him. I think that our offensive line will play better this season and the Steelers will be back on top of the NFL world come February 1st 2009!!
:tt02:

stlrtruck
05-05-2008, 01:24 PM
It's from Peter King therefore it's use is pretty much for nothing more than starting a fire in my grill.

His words aren't worth the paper it's printed on. My 3 year old could formulate better predictions than he does.

Lord Stiller
05-05-2008, 02:25 PM
Steelers will be better than Cleveland, Carolina, Philly, Minnesota and Green Bay

TackleMeBen
05-05-2008, 03:20 PM
i think indy may be on the downside of their wonderful regime.

Dino 6 Rings
05-05-2008, 03:40 PM
Carolina? they are one failed season away from calling Cowher their new head coach.

TackleMeBen
05-05-2008, 03:50 PM
....or they'll figure out a new way to cheat. 'sall good. :coffee:

I hope Golden Boy gets the shit kicked out of him all year.
76, you know if that happens then goddell will have all the QBs in tutus..lol

RoethlisBURGHer
05-05-2008, 04:05 PM
Cleveland ahead of Pittsburgh?

Cleveland hasn't beaten Pittsburgh in how many years? I lost track of how many years it has been.

I am so confident that the Steelers will sweep the Browns again this year I have the following bet with my neighbor:

Steelers sweep- he flies a Steelers flag in his front yard all next season

Browns win ONE- I put a Browns liscense plate frame on my car all next season

Yeah, the Browns made some big moves in the offseason...but Anderson has to prove he isn't a one-year wonder...Rodgers has to play the entire season...and that secondary has to really step up with the loss of Bodden, their best corner

I don't think that defense is gonna hold up, and I think Anderson will throw more interceptions than TD's.

BettisFan
05-05-2008, 04:19 PM
Carolina, Browns, Vikings and Greenbay make no sense why they are above us WTF?!

TackleMeBen
05-05-2008, 04:20 PM
b/c peter king has never liked the steelers..

BettisFan
05-05-2008, 04:20 PM
And what ever we are better as the underdogs, Its bowl year!!

Galax Steeler
05-06-2008, 03:50 AM
I can't understand the cleveland pick they shouldn't be top 10.

HometownGal
05-06-2008, 07:32 AM
I don't pay attention to these predicitions before camp has even started or a pre-season game has been played. King is playing "eenie, meenie, miney, mo" and from just taking a glance at his list, he sucks at that game too.

TackleMeBen
05-06-2008, 07:38 AM
I don't pay attention to these predicitions before camp has even started or a pre-season game has been played. King is playing "eenie, meenie, miney, mo" and from just taking a glance at his list, he sucks at that game too.
:sofunny::sofunny:, we know he sucks at discussing football.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-06-2008, 10:48 AM
Last year.....Mr. King had Ben ranked as the 17th best QB in the game....He had Jay Cutler, Jon Kitna, Vince Young, and Matt Leinart ahead of Ben.....Look how those terrible rankings turned out for Peter....So I think these rankings are on par with his QB rankings of last year....

Dino 6 Rings
05-06-2008, 12:42 PM
Last year.....Mr. King had Ben ranked as the 17th best QB in the game....He had Jay Cutler, Jon Kitna, Vince Young, and Matt Leinart ahead of Ben.....Look how those terrible rankings turned out for Peter....So I think these rankings are on par with his QB rankings of last year....

Awesome! More people should throw these early pre-season rankings back in the face of the "experts"

I should start a Column called "they all get it wrong" and just focus on their bad predictions.

Everyone is picking the Redskins to lose the NFC East, going against the trend, looking for the Skins to go 14-2 with a bi-week into the playoffs!!!! :rofl:

Willem Gerber
05-07-2008, 09:28 AM
i think indy may be on the downside of their wonderful regime.

What would give you that idea?

They still have Peyton for at least 4 years. Addai ,Reggie(Wayne),Harrison(although I doubt after this season,but then there is Gonzalez) and Dallas Clark. They will always have a good O-line.

Defensively they are extremely young...and mind you the third best D last season...

Jeremy
05-07-2008, 09:32 AM
Peter King is a Patriots fan.

cubanstogie
05-07-2008, 10:49 AM
We will see where we belong since we play almost every team on that list. I am actually glad we have a tough schedule this year. Last year we coasted, and we not really tested until late in the year. I think we will go 10-6 or 11-5. IMO we belong 6th or so.

Dino 6 Rings
05-07-2008, 11:28 AM
Coasted? Last year we lost to the bottom feeders, Cards, Jets and Broncos. We didn't deserve to be champs with that on our Resume'. This year, we need to be up for every single game as if it was our playoff lives on the line. Starting Week 1 against the improving Texans.

Rhee Rhee
05-08-2008, 03:20 AM
amazing how cleveland is being overrated by just about every single NFL writer out there...

THEY DIDNT MAKE THE PLAYOFFS... while i do think they should be respected there's no reason to rank them higher than us... especially while their entire team is getting older and older....

Jeremy
05-08-2008, 08:45 AM
amazing how cleveland is being overrated by just about every single NFL writer out there...

THEY DIDNT MAKE THE PLAYOFFS... while i do think they should be respected there's no reason to rank them higher than us... especially while their entire team is getting older and older....

Why is it amazing? They have Patriots magic working for them.

HometownGal
05-08-2008, 09:02 AM

They still have Peyton for at least 4 years. Addai ,Reggie(Wayne),Harrison(although I doubt after this season,but then there is Gonzalez) and Dallas Clark. They will always have a good O-line.

Defensively they are extremely young...and mind you the third best D last season...

Good post, Willem - I agree. :thumbsup: Add into that mix one of the best coaches and one of the top OC's in the NFL today at the helm. With their current roster, I can almost guarantee they will be a playoff bound team not only this season, but for at least 3-4 more.

TackleMeBen
05-08-2008, 09:09 AM

yes but peyton isnt getting any younger. and we dont know what the deal will be with Harrison now.

fansince'76
05-08-2008, 09:25 AM
yes but peyton isnt getting any younger. and we dont know what the deal will be with Harrison now.

The Colts went 13-3 last season with Harrison missing 11 games. Manning is a QB, not a RB - a 32-year-old QB is still very much in the prime of his career.

HometownGal
05-08-2008, 09:34 AM
and we dont know what the deal will be with Harrison now.

Who?

http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/wayne.JPG

http://www2.indystar.com/library/factfiles/sports/football/indpls_colts/2004_season/img/dallas0109.jpg

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/img/10-07/1010gonzalez.jpg

TackleMeBen
05-08-2008, 09:42 AM
OK HTG, point taken :wink02: (dont make me send you my flyers jersey..lol:chuckle:)

CB1977
05-08-2008, 12:21 PM
Cleveland ahead of Pittsburgh?

Browns win ONE- I put a Browns liscense plate frame on my car all next season

I have a few...want to borrow one???? :wink02:

verks36
05-08-2008, 12:54 PM
preaseason rankings dont mean squat

Rygor
05-12-2008, 09:47 AM
Indy, Dallas, NE, San Diego, Seattle, Pittsburgh. All are in the conversation as far as I'm concerned. The rest ALL have glaring weaknesses on either or both sides of the ball.

lilyoder6
05-12-2008, 10:14 AM
i would have to say minn should be in the top 10 in the pre-season rankings.. come on they have AP who was 2nd in rushing and who destroyed most teams when he played agaist them.. they have a great running game and a decent passing game that rly rly needs to be worked on.. now to the def.. they added jared allen who is a very very good de who lead the league in sacks last yr i beleive.. add him to the 2 very good fat asses in the middle and they have a good d-line and good run stopping d... i can see them winning there div this yr

The Duke
05-12-2008, 03:04 PM
i would have to say minn should be in the top 10 in the pre-season rankings.. come on they have AP who was 2nd in rushing and who destroyed most teams when he played agaist them.. they have a great running game and a decent passing game that rly rly needs to be worked on.. now to the def.. they added jared allen who is a very very good de who lead the league in sacks last yr i beleive.. add him to the 2 very good fat asses in the middle and they have a good d-line and good run stopping d... i can see them winning there div this yr

minnesotta still has tarvaris jackson as qb. and I'm not sold on peterson yet, his line is pretty good. if he starts this season like last year then I'm sold on him, but if Jackson can't be half of what ben was in 04 then the vikings are going nowhere

St33lersguy
05-12-2008, 04:48 PM
Carolina doesn't deserve to be on that list, I don't thnk the Jags are #3 in the league, they definetely deserve to on that list, the Giants are not in the top 5? Dallas should be out of the top 5 (at 6 or 7 would be best), and where are the Seahawks on that list? Other than that good rankings.

lilyoder6
05-12-2008, 06:19 PM
duke, i don't think it has mych to do with jackson as being a good qb 4 them as to them having NO wr's on that team that can do anything.. they have no rly big time wr's to make plays and make catches.. and they did trade away troy williamson..

The Duke
05-12-2008, 06:30 PM
duke, i don't think it has much to do with jackson as being a good qb 4 them as to them having NO wr's on that team that can do anything.. they have no rly big time wr's to make plays and make catches.. and they did trade away troy williamson..

sidney rice could surprise this season.

but yeah, other than him they have nothing. a receiver from the bears? :rofl:

find jackson some receivers and he may become a good game manager, enough for the vikes to win games

nice catch lilyoder

lilyoder6
05-12-2008, 09:20 PM
thx duke :celebrate:

i could poss seeing either AP or taylor leading the team in rec this yr.. at least they know those 2 can catch the ball when thrown to..

jjpro11
05-12-2008, 11:46 PM
wow.. thats one of the worst preseason rankings i have ever seen for any year. picks 7-10 all are in the process of finding their true starting quarterback.