PDA

View Full Version : Lawrence Timmons Improving?

Elvis
05-05-2008, 12:44 PM
:applaudit:I see this as very good news about Lawrence Timmons....

It has become an accepted fact of NFL life that players make significant improvement from their first to their second years in the league, and Tomlin acknowledged this earlier in the weekend. So, while it’s natural to examine the progress made by, say, No. 1 pick Rashard Mendenhall this weekend, it might be more fruitful to see how far last year’s No. 1 pick – Lawrence Timmons – has come.
“It has been a good weekend for him,” said Tomlin about Timmons. “It has been a difference of night and day between what he showed us this weekend and what he showed us last year. The pedigree is still there, and we like what he brings to the table. He’s a talented guy who’s capable of doing a lot of things.
“He’s a big guy who is powerful. He is going to be able to do some things in coverage; he is going to be able to do some things in terms of getting pressure on the quarterback. But his deeds on the field are going to etch out his role. He knows that and all the guys know that. He has some potential, but he needs to do the work.”
Timmons initially was put behind James Harrison at right outside linebacker, but it wasn’t too far into his rookie training camp that he was moved inside. James Farrior and Larry Foote are returning starters at inside linebacker, but Tomlin is looking for Timmons to make it a competition there this summer.
“Hopefully we have a bunch of intense battles (for starting jobs),” said Tomlin. “That’s one that could be intense because Lawrence has put himself in a position to compete because he knows what to do. We are only going to be a good football team if we have a bunch of intense battles. We expect that to be one of them; we will see.”

I think that Timmons is gonna come on strong this year and really make it hard on Larry Foote to keep his job. I hope that he comes in there and takes the ball and just rolls with it right to 10 pro bowl years.
:tt02:

BlastFurnace
05-05-2008, 12:56 PM
:applaudit:I see this as very good news about Lawrence Timmons....

I think that Timmons is gonna come on strong this year and really make it hard on Larry Foote to keep his job. I hope that he comes in there and takes the ball and just rolls with it right to 10 pro bowl years.
:tt02:

I sure hope so. We can't afford to be drafting players #1 and have them sit on the bench or play special teams for 2 straight years. Foote is consistent, but isn't a difference maker in the middle. I would like to see Timmons take that position over.

Steelerfreak58
05-05-2008, 03:46 PM
I sure hope so. We can't afford to be drafting players #1 and have them sit on the bench or play special teams for 2 straight years. Foote is consistent, but isn't a difference maker in the middle. I would like to see Timmons take that position over.

Ditto.

JanBr7
05-05-2008, 05:14 PM
I have a good feeling about Timmons. He got a slow start last year both due to injuries and his learning curve. But I think he's going to step up big time, and make all the linebackers the better for it.

tony hipchest
05-05-2008, 06:20 PM
imagine if some steelerfans got their own way and they drafted bobby carpenter a few years ago...

19ward86
05-05-2008, 08:04 PM
I hope he can come in and dominate like a diamond in the rough.

Preacher
05-05-2008, 08:47 PM
You know...

all we really need is someone to replace farrior next year (age) and we have a great LB corp for the next 2 to 4 years.

tony hipchest
05-05-2008, 08:51 PM
You know...

all we really need is someone to replace farrior next year (age) and we have a great LB corp for the next 2 to 4 years.if we dump farrior next year, prepare to watch him flourish with the patriots for the next 5. look at his career numbers on nfl.com. last season was his best other than in 04 when he was defensive mvp runner up.

Preacher
05-05-2008, 08:54 PM
if we dump farrior next year, prepare to watch him flourish with the patriots for the next 5. look at his career numbers on nfl.com. last season was his best other than in 04 when he was defensive mvp runner up.

Your probably right.

I would love to draft a LB though... and let him develop a year or so behind him... like we did with Timmons and Woodley.

Funny to be talking about this... but we have to keep an eye out for Harrison as well. If he goes the route of Porter, he only has a couple good years left. If he goes the route of a few others... he has another 5-7 years left.

Mistah_Q
05-05-2008, 09:00 PM
Your probably right.

I would love to draft a LB though... and let him develop a year or so behind him... like we did with Timmons and Woodley.

Funny to be talking about this... but we have to keep an eye out for Harrison as well. If he goes the route of Porter, he only has a couple good years left. If he goes the route of a few others... he has another 5-7 years left.I'd venture to say that's what they have in mind with Mike Humpal. . pick a decent guy later, see if he works out over the next season or two. . rather than having an emergency where you need to spend a high pick or sign a big name to fill the need.

Preacher
05-05-2008, 09:02 PM
I'd venture to say that's what they have in mind with Mike Humpal. . pick a decent guy later, see if he works out over the next season or two. . rather than having an emergency where you need to spend a high pick or sign a big name to fill the need.

You could be right.

All you really need is speed and intelligence. You can teach scheming and get a person used to the position at the next level.

tony hipchest
05-05-2008, 09:05 PM
You could be right.

All you really need is speed and intelligence. You can teach scheming and get a person used to the position at the next level.how bout bruce davis, our 3rd round selection? we spent 4 picks on lb's in the last 2 years while spending 2??, 3?? on the OL.

i think our defensive minded coach (and gm and owners) is/are on top of the lb situation.

Preacher
05-05-2008, 09:17 PM
how bout bruce davis, our 3rd round selection? we spent 4 picks on lb's in the last 2 years while spending 2??, 3?? on the OL.

i think our defensive minded coach (and gm and owners) is/are on top of the lb situation.

Yeah... I think they are keeping the pounds off rather well myself!

:chuckle:
:wink02:

Black@Gold Forever32
05-05-2008, 09:19 PM
The move inside was a blessing for Timmons...I think his blend of speed and hitting ability will be best used inside....I hope he beats out Foote...I like Foote and he is a solid player...But I'm with the poster in this thread that he just isn't dominating enough....In a 3-4 the LBs have to be dominating play makers....As for Farrior.....If he continues to play well and has another solid year this year....Then why not bring him back next year? I'm sure he won't be looking to break the bank...Sign him to a two year contract if he is willing to take a reasonable deal and retire a Steeler........

Back to Timmons....I'm really excited to see him this year....I think he has the potential to be a very good LB in this defense.....

BettisFan
05-05-2008, 09:23 PM
Well he was our first round pick last year

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-05-2008, 10:47 PM
imagine if some steelerfans got their own way and they drafted bobby carpenter a few years ago...

Imagine if some got their way and drafted Pozluzny last year???

Preacher
05-05-2008, 10:55 PM
Imagine if some got their way and drafted Pozluzny last year???

We would be complaining about he is a bust... since he wouldn't have been able to beat out anyone last year either.

He went to a BAD team.. and that is why he started.

Mistah_Q
05-05-2008, 11:11 PM
We would be complaining about he is a bust... since he wouldn't have been able to beat out anyone last year either.

He went to a BAD team.. and that is why he started.Or if we hadn't traded up for Colclough. . used the pick we traded to take Bob Sanders. . and that 4th we traded away, use that to grab Nathan Vasher. .

Yeah, the what-if game is pretty fun :flap:

Steel Pit
05-05-2008, 11:32 PM
Boy ole boy, some of you people truly believe that you have all the answers, lol.

Preacher
05-06-2008, 12:05 AM
Or if we hadn't traded up for Colclough. . used the pick we traded to take Bob Sanders. . and that 4th we traded away, use that to grab Nathan Vasher. .

Yeah, the what-if game is pretty fun :flap:

Yep.

basically...

anyone that we draft that doesn't start THAT SEASON.... is a possible bust.

If they get hurt.. THey are a probable bust.

If they were drafted instead of a player that many wanted... they are going to be a bust period.

Galax Steeler
05-06-2008, 03:30 AM
I am looking forward to seeing timmons in action this year I think he is really going to step it up from last year.

Elvis
05-06-2008, 02:18 PM
:noidea: How many years was James Harrison in the league before he got to really have a chance at starting? I just think that Timmons gives us more speed and atheletics than Foote does. Maybe Foote moves over and takes Farriors place next season. I just dont think that the steelers will resign Farrior. We have alot of age on our defense that needs to be taken care of soon.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-06-2008, 02:47 PM
:noidea: How many years was James Harrison in the league before he got to really have a chance at starting? I just think that Timmons gives us more speed and atheletics than Foote does. Maybe Foote moves over and takes Farriors place next season. I just dont think that the steelers will resign Farrior. We have alot of age on our defense that needs to be taken care of soon.

I was reading Jim Wexell's observations from mini camp on Steelerfury.com......Having trouble posting the link for some reason....But according to Wexell, Timmons was only two steps behind Holmes in coverage......Not many LBs have that type of speed to be that close to a speedster like Holmes.....If Timmons can stay healthy and learn the play book then he will start...Plus his speed and athleticism will be a welcomed addition to the starting defense...I like Larry Foote and he is a solid football player...But Foote doesn't have that type of speed and doesn't make enough big plays...which you stated

43Hitman
05-06-2008, 03:40 PM
If Timmons can start and we can rotate Foote in to spell our LB's that would be a pretty stout linebacking group.