PDA

View Full Version : Mendenhall robbed

atrus20
05-05-2008, 03:46 PM
According to Rotoworld (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=4652)...

Steelers first-round pick Rashard Mendenhall was reportedly robbed at gunpoint early Monday on the South Side of Chicago.
Mendenhall, a Chicago native, was reportedly walking along the lakefront at 2AM when two people stole his phone, cash, and wallet. He was not injured. "He is fine. He is doing great," Mendenhall's agent said. "He said he doesn't have anything that is worth his life." The robbers were reportedly wearing black hoodies and ski masks. No arrests have been made.
Source: Chicago Sun Times (http://www.suntimes.com/news/24-7/932308,Mendenhall050508.article)

At least he wasn't hurt.

jjpro11
05-05-2008, 03:47 PM
nothing good ever happens at 2 am.

tony hipchest
05-05-2008, 03:49 PM
nothing good ever happens at 2 am.unless its in the sack with a hot chick and a condom...

he shoulda said "dont you know who i am"?

:chuckle:

TackleMeBen
05-05-2008, 03:49 PM
there starts our distractions now..lol..

Dino 6 Rings
05-05-2008, 04:03 PM

granma always said, nothing good ever happens after midnight.

PisnNapalm
05-05-2008, 04:06 PM
ahh geez.... He's got some money now and out late. not good.

SteelersTilIDie
05-05-2008, 04:08 PM
that couldve turned out worse, at least nothin bad happened to him

OX1947
05-05-2008, 04:10 PM

Especially on the south side of Chicago....

TackleMeBen
05-05-2008, 04:11 PM
at least he wasnt carrying a weapon and a shootout occur.

Preacher
05-05-2008, 04:12 PM
Well... thinking through this a bit...

1. He was in chicago... not Pittsburgh. Which means that he isn't getting the hometown treatment. . . they would rip him up one side and down the other if he was doing anything else but actually walking on the waterfront.

2. "Nothing is worth my life." This kid has some smarts.

3. walking.. Not in a hight seed chase... not screwing around in bars causing problems.

Chalk it up to lesson learned. You are a nationally known figure now with money. . . lots of it coming quickly. You can't be doing those things anymore.

It makes it understandable why people have a "posse" with them... safety in numbers.

steelin games
05-05-2008, 04:13 PM
He couldn't even run away because of the hammy!!!

TackleMeBen
05-05-2008, 04:14 PM
guess he will be taking some of his new money and investing in bodyguards now.

tony hipchest
05-05-2008, 04:16 PM
It makes it understandable why people have a "posse" with them... safety in numbers.

:yep: thats how i roll.

honestly the robbers probably didnt even know who they were robbing. while im sure he has some cash, he hasnt even signed a contract yet, and its not like he has the dreads, golden grill, or bling to attract attention to himself.

if i were strollin through downown chicago, i would pretty much expect to get jacked too.

im going to dallas in a few weeks and would like to do some late night partying. unfortunately, i have to take something like this happening into consideration. i wont have my posse w/ me. :wink:

BettisFan
05-05-2008, 04:17 PM
when i first saw this i was like omg in his first week in the burgh he was robbed in the burgh! He is gunna want out! I am happy it wasnt here but pissed that it even happend.

TackleMeBen
05-05-2008, 04:23 PM
:yep: thats how i roll.

honestly the robbers probably didnt even know who they were robbing. while im sure he has some cash, he hasnt even signed a contract yet, and its not like he has the dreads, golden grill, or bling to attract attention to himself.

if i were strollin through downown chicago, i would pretty much expect to get jacked too.

im going to dallas in a few weeks and would like to do some late night partying. unfortunately, i have to take something like this happening into consideration. i wont have my posse w/ me. :wink:
dallas is a nice city. i have an ex boyfriend that lives there.

MONTANA GRIZ
05-05-2008, 04:26 PM
Wow this could have a lot worse! Hopefully he decides to invest in a bodyguard instead of some handgun that can shoot 50cal. bullets ala Mr. Harrison.

Davison_K
05-05-2008, 04:33 PM
Dude - how much would it of sucked if our first round pick got shot.

stillers4me
05-05-2008, 04:36 PM
Dude - how much would it of sucked if our first round pick got shot.

Majorly..........:doh: Glad he's ok.

Joey Porter: "They shot me in Denver!"
Do we play Chicago this year????

TackleMeBen
05-05-2008, 04:42 PM
Majorly..........:doh: Glad he's ok.

Joey Porter: "They shot me in Denver!"
Do we play Chicago this year????
no we dont play Chicago this year

Edman
05-05-2008, 04:45 PM
The last place you want to be once you've become a nationally known pro athlete with money is your hometown. Why else do you think do you not see many pro athletes live in the town they were born in once they turned pro?

The place that you once called home is now met with strange, surprising and suspicious stares. Everyone in Chicago knows who you are now, Rashard.

At least he wasn't involved in any stuff, and thank the lord he's okay.

steelreserve
05-05-2008, 04:46 PM
At least he wasn't hurt.

Yeah, he already took care of that last week.

TackleMeBen
05-05-2008, 04:50 PM
the robbers were hired by bellicheck to steal his playbook, and when he didnt have it on him, they were like oh crap, we will take his wallet, money and cell phone.

Hapa
05-05-2008, 05:33 PM
Thats gotta scare the shhhh out of you

stillers4me
05-05-2008, 05:45 PM
the robbers were hired by bellicheck to steal his playbook, and when he didnt have it on him, they were like oh crap, we will take his wallet, money and cell phone.

Nope, I bet is was Whisenhunt. :sofunny:

TackleMeBen
05-05-2008, 05:46 PM
Nope, I bet is was Whisenhunt. :sofunny:
i keep forgetting about him. but we dont play the Cards this year... we do play the pats... so i am going to blame bellicheck.

BettisFan
05-05-2008, 06:23 PM
I bet hes dam scared now what a way to start off your nfl career: Getting Injured - Weak, Getting Robbed - Scary as hell, Getting drafted by the steelers - priceless!

BlastFurnace
05-05-2008, 07:30 PM
Honestly....in that part of "Chi-town"...at that time of night....I'm just glad he's alive.

MACH1
05-05-2008, 07:38 PM
I was always told that if your not in bed by ten, you might as well go home. :chuckle:

Florida_Steelers_Fan
05-05-2008, 07:40 PM
two guys in ski masks...

...wonder if they're a couple bengals players?

Preacher
05-05-2008, 07:51 PM
two guys in ski masks...

...wonder if they're a couple bengals players?

Impossible...

1. The ski masks were on the right way

2. Mendenhall isn't an underage female

3. The Bengals can't stop anyone... let alone take something from them..

stillers4me
05-05-2008, 08:04 PM
Impossible...

ZING!

19ward86
05-05-2008, 08:05 PM
Of course it is in Chicago.

TackleMeBen
05-05-2008, 08:39 PM
Impossible...

:sofunny::sofunny: , we shouldnt stereotype the bengals:flap:

JanBr7
05-05-2008, 08:43 PM
:sofunny::sofunny: , we shouldnt stereotype the bengals:flap:

Awwww, why not -- it's fun! :sofunny:

SteelersMongol
05-05-2008, 08:44 PM
Glad he's not hurt. Maybe it's time 2 leave Chicago 4 good.

unless its in the sack with a hot chick and a condom...

:chuckle:

Even if he told them who he was, they would've still robbed him & plus get his autograph so they can sell on eBay. :chuckle:

TackleMeBen
05-05-2008, 08:46 PM
Awwww, why not -- it's fun! :sofunny:

b/c its not right..lol.. they have enough issues without picking on them.. oh what the hell, lets pick on the bengals.

TackleMeBen
05-05-2008, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
unless its in the sack with a hot chick and a condom...

tony, you little prev..lol.

slashsteel
05-05-2008, 08:54 PM
Speaking of Bungles where was ex-Bungle Chris Henry the night in question?

He wasn't with a posse because he was with a woman.

He just needs to pick a better time to take a stroll. Glad they both are ok.........................
:thumbsup:

SteelerFanInATL
05-05-2008, 09:04 PM
Whats the deal big fella. Why are we out at 2am, walking, at the lakefront??? I'm glad he wasn't hurt. No more late night walks.

Galax Steeler
05-06-2008, 03:35 AM
Glad to hear he is ok and not hurt maybe he will take it out on the football field.

JanBr7
05-06-2008, 06:35 AM
Whats the deal big fella. Why are we out at 2am, walking, at the lakefront??? I'm glad he wasn't hurt. No more late night walks.

Probably a little naive. Just got home from mini-camp and was taking his girl out for a walk. Forgot that' it's dangerous out there late at night.

I'd prefer to believe that than think he's just dumb! I'm sure he's learned his lesson. And thank god it didn't happen in Pittsburgh!

Tankus_Maximus
05-06-2008, 09:22 AM
Allright Mend,

I'll do it.

I'll be your bodyguard.

When do I start?

TackleMeBen
05-06-2008, 09:24 AM
Allright Mend,

I'll do it.

I'll be your bodyguard.

When do I start?
you forgot to ask about the pay????? :flap:

and if he needs a personal assistant. i am would be able to help out.. anything to get out of motown.lol

Elvis
05-06-2008, 01:58 PM
:doh: Just seems like bad things happen to nice people that late at night or morning I guess. The way I look at it, you are a paid professional player and now it is time to start being smarter than that. I am glad that he and his friend are ok though..

HometownGal
05-06-2008, 02:55 PM
Thank God he wasn't hurt or worse.

I live in one of the safest neighborhoods in the Burgh burbs and I sure as heck wouldn't be out strolling at 2 AM. 20 years ago - yes, but not with today's loonies and wackos driving around taking target practice at any moving object. :screwy:

BlastFurnace
05-06-2008, 05:12 PM

I live in one of the safest neighborhoods in the Burgh burbs and I sure as heck wouldn't be out strolling at 2 AM. 20 years ago - yes, but not with today's loonies and wackos driving around taking target practice at any moving object. :screwy:

For anyone who has lived in Chicago, he is literally fortunate that nothing more tragic happened to him after that jaunt at 2:00 am.

Tankus_Maximus
05-06-2008, 11:13 PM
you forgot to ask about the pay????? :flap:

and if he needs a personal assistant. i am would be able to help out.. anything to get out of motown.lol

You never negotiate salaries in public :wink02:

Besides, being part of his "posse", would set me up with everything I would ever need.....plus sideline seats to every Steelers game!!!

Haiku_Dirtt
05-07-2008, 03:29 AM
Well... thinking through this a bit...

1. He was in chicago... not Pittsburgh. Which means that he isn't getting the hometown treatment. . . they would rip him up one side and down the other if he was doing anything else but actually walking on the waterfront.

2. "Nothing is worth my life." This kid has some smarts.

3. walking.. Not in a hight seed chase... not screwing around in bars causing problems.

Chalk it up to lesson learned. You are a nationally known figure now with money. . . lots of it coming quickly. You can't be doing those things anymore.

Okay.

I regret throwing Santonio Holmes under the train when shtt hit the fan. And it was easy - first round receiver and even worse a Buckeye. He got an earful. Dude has proved value.

But Rashard...I'd rather he'd be robbed. If he had a posse then the cost of the posse would exceed the cost of being robbed. In fact if more NFL players were robbed instead of paying the possee then perhaps...

TackleMeBen
05-07-2008, 06:35 AM

that is true. i remember my grandmother never locking her doors when she went to bed at night and leaving your windows open at night. you could let your kids go outside and play with the neighborhood kids and not have to worry about them getting kidnapped. man times have changed from when we were kids.

stlrtruck
05-07-2008, 08:17 AM
Ok, time for Mend to move. Drop that gangster city and embrace a city that will embrace you!!

stillers4me
05-09-2008, 05:42 AM
Mendenhall lucky to escape robbery
Steelers' top pick to be more cautious in future
Friday, May 09, 2008
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Peter Diana/Post-Gazette
Rashard Mendenhall, 34, works out with his teammates today during the Steelers' minicamp at the team's facility on the South Side.Rashard Mendenhall lost more than his wallet and cell phone in a Chicago stickup early Monday morning. He lost his Rose Bowl watch.He was thankful he still had his life after the 2 a.m. robbery at gunpoint by men wearing ski masks.

"It's cool," Mendenhall said in his first public comments since the crime, little more than one day after the Steelers' first-round draft pick ended his first minicamp in Pittsburgh with his new teammates.

"It wasn't too bad. I'm safe. I was just hoping he wouldn't pull the trigger. I was just trying to cooperate so he wouldn't."

Mendenhall and a female friend were walking along Chicago's lakefront area when the men approached them. He said a little earlier there were other people around but by then things had died down and there were no other witnesses when they were robbed.

Although Chicago police said they thought the men, who remain at large, knew they were robbing an athlete, Mendenhall did not believe they knew specifically who he was.

"Not before, they probably did afterward," said Mendenhall, who said nothing to his assailants.

It's the first time he has been robbed, Mendenhall said, and he will try to take precautions in the future. Mendenhall was a star running back at the University of Illinois last season. He's the first running back the Steelers have drafted in the first round in 19 years.

"I figure I'll be conscious and wary of situations," he said.

Mendenhall's mother, Sybil, said she discussed just such a thing with her son before the robbery.

"This was wake-up call to know it's for real now," she said. "We had that discussion. When you're in downtown Chicago, you think you're OK. It's usually safe, with all the activities and things going on and a lot of people walking on the lakefront at night.

"But these are different times, people are desperate and some people do what they think they have to do."

After he was robbed, Mendenhall called his mother on his friend's cell phone -- she left her purse back in the car and had the phone hidden. Sybil Mendenhall canceled her son's credit cards and cell phone.

"I was little disturbed, but I've lived in Chicago all my life and understand those things happen there,' she said. "It's a relief he didn't get shot or anything, but that is sometimes the case."

Mendenhall plans to rejoin his new teammates May 20 when they resume their offseason workouts. He watched practice on the final two days of the three-day minicamp because of a hamstring injury the first day.

He said yesterday his leg feels "pretty good."

First published on May 9, 2008 at 12:00 am
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08130/880442-66.stm

TackleMeBen
05-09-2008, 06:13 PM
Mendenhall lucky to escape robbery
Steelers' top pick to be more cautious in future
Friday, May 09, 2008
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Peter Diana/Post-Gazette
Rashard Mendenhall, 34, works out with his teammates today during the Steelers' minicamp at the team's facility on the South Side.Rashard Mendenhall lost more than his wallet and cell phone in a Chicago stickup early Monday morning. He lost his Rose Bowl watch.He was thankful he still had his life after the 2 a.m. robbery at gunpoint by men wearing ski masks.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08130/880442-66.stm
34 is a little too old to be a rookie running back in the nfl, i would think..lol
did someone make a typo when putting this story out.lol

Preacher
05-09-2008, 07:32 PM
Ok, time for Mend to move. Drop that gangster city and embrace a city that will embrace you!!

Absolutely...

time to move in with Willey and learn how to live like a Steelers player.

43Hitman
05-09-2008, 08:06 PM
34 is a little too old to be a rookie running back in the nfl, i would think..lol
did someone make a typo when putting this story out.lol

I think that is his number..

TackleMeBen
05-09-2008, 08:10 PM
I think that is his number..
articles usually dont list players numbers. i think they meant to put his age and said he was 34

Steel Buckeye
05-09-2008, 10:36 PM
It sucks he was robbed, but I'm glad he's OK. Chicago's south side is a bad place to be at 2am. I guess he just had to learn the hard way.