PDA

View Full Version : LT the next Favre?

BettisFan
05-05-2008, 09:25 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/05/05/lt-the-new-favre/
"September 3 will mark the six-year anniversary of the never-ending (and still continuing) question of when and if Brett Favre will be done with football. Peter King of Sports Illustrated spawned the cottage industry of Favre conjecture with an item in which Brett mused about no longer having to deal with the rigors of the game.

“I think about retirement a heck of a lot more than I used to,” a then-32-year-old Favre said at the time. “I miss home. I know it’s nuts, but [coach] Mike Sherman told us today he was giving us Saturday and Sunday off this week, and the guys were all excited. All I could think was, I wish I could be on my lawn mower back home.”

And with Favre now retired (we think) and Giants defensive end Michael Strahan temporarily (we think) assuming the mantle of the high-profile player most likely to next retire, we need to add another name to the mix.

Unfortunately.

And the guy is Chargers running back LaDainian Tomlinson.

In an interview with Colleen Dominguez of ESPN, Tomlinson strongly suggested that he might walk away from the NFL sooner than anyone realizes. The topic came up after Dominguez estimated that L.T. is roughly five solid seasons away from toppling Emmitt Smith’s all-time rushing mark.

Tomlinson said in response that he might not play that long.

“It comes a time where you gotta walk away from the game,” he said. “I really would like to walk away from the game on top. I dont want to be a player that’s declining and have to be kicked out of the league and not getting picked up by a team.”

That last statement might have been a backhanded slap at running back Shaun Alexander, the 2005 NFL MVP who was run out of Seattle last month, and who is not beating the bushes for a new gig.

So, as to Tomlinson, what does “walking away from the game on top” mean? He’ll be 29 in June, he entered the league only one year after the aforementioned Alexander, and Tomlinson was the MVP a year after Shaun.

In our view, it all means that (unfortunately) we need to now constantly assess, year after year, whether L.T. will return. He sounds committed to playing again in 2008. Beyond that, it’s anybody’s guess.

Especially if his goal is to walk away before his skills begin to erode."

Really interesting I would never had thought LT would even consider or think of retirement.

SteelersMongol
05-05-2008, 09:48 PM
No one's got Shaun? If he'd take a pay cut like Bus did, wonder if someone will take him.

fansince'76
05-05-2008, 09:48 PM
That would seriously weaken the Chargers, so I hope he does. Whatever weakens another AFC team only helps us.

Preacher
05-05-2008, 09:51 PM
That would seriously weaken the Chargers, so I hope he does. Whatever weakens another AFC team only helps us.

Yep....

though personally, it would be sad to see him go. He is a good player and seems to be a good guy.

tony hipchest
05-05-2008, 10:08 PM
he cleared up this sensasionalized story today. hes not taking anything for granted and cant say wether he will be around in 5 years to break emmits record.

he dont wanna hang on for 2-3 years too long like emmitt "just dont kill anybody and u r iight by me" smith.

Preacher
05-05-2008, 10:19 PM
he cleared up this sensasionalized story today. hes not taking anything for granted and cant say wether he will be around in 5 years to break emmits record.

he dont wanna hang on for 2-3 years too long like emmitt "just dont kill anybody and u r iight by me" smith.

:toofunny:

So THATS his new nickname...

I was wondering!

BettisFan
05-05-2008, 10:29 PM
with out LT the chargers only have a defense

Galax Steeler
05-06-2008, 04:47 AM
with out LT the chargers only have a defense

Yea I agree L T was the offense.

steelreserve
05-06-2008, 12:09 PM
Hmm. That'd be too bad if he quit any time soon. Not many running backs are capable of playing well into their 30s, but LT seems like one of the rare few.

stlrtruck
05-06-2008, 01:14 PM
Seriously if he wants to walk away from the game....see ya later.

revefsreleets
05-06-2008, 02:34 PM
I don't fault guys like Robert Smith or Barry Sanders. People don't realize what a toll playing RB in the NFL takes on the body, especially the knees. In fact, I think it's kind of admirable when a guy decides that his long-term health is more important than setting/breaking a record. And it's not like these dudes are hurting for cash...plus there are plenty of cushy commentating jobs awaiting them upon retirement.

RoethlisBURGHer
05-06-2008, 02:50 PM
I'd rather him walk away with not only his current health, but also his future health.

How many times do we see a former NFL RB at some type of ceremony either with a cane, walker, or in a wheel chair because he can no longer walk on his own...and he's not even 50?

I remember Jerome Bettis saying that towards the end of his career he couldn't even get out of bed without serious pain until three days after the game was played. When I go to his HoF induction in a few years, I won't be surprised to see him using a cane to get to the podium.

stlrtruck
05-06-2008, 03:31 PM
I recall watching Franco Harris stand to shake my hand and you could tell his knees were shot.

Willem Gerber
05-07-2008, 10:20 AM
Its does not happen very often that we see a player as brilliant as LT. If he retires then the whole NFL will miss him...

But I think he will retire at age 32 earliest

Rhee Rhee
05-08-2008, 07:04 PM
LT should leave the game on top however it's becoming sort of like a cliche... john elway, jerome bettis, barry sanders and i honestly think brett farve could've stuck around 2 more years...

LT will be the most decorated runningback to date soon enough and has every reason. I hope he doesn't wear his body out and have a hard life later on.