PDA

View Full Version : Grade the possibilities.

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-06-2008, 09:33 AM
Rashard Mendenhall
Limas Sweed
Bruce Davis
Tony Hills

There is a tiny voice in most of our hearts that look at the potential of these first 4 picks and think... "How much can they achieve"? ...Especially with our first and second rounders are you allowing yourself to wonder..."Potential pro-bowlers"?

So where is the ceiling for you...what is the upper most expectations that you are allowing yourself when looking at picks 1-4? Will any of them make the Pro Bowl while wearing the Black & Gold?

Dino 6 Rings
05-06-2008, 09:38 AM
When compared against previous drafts, the chances are two will be pro-bowlers, two won't be on the team in 09. I'd stick with the RB and WR as making the team, Davis could be an ok all time ST player and backup and as for the tackle, well there is no telling.

fansince'76
05-06-2008, 09:40 AM
I think Sweed and Mendenhall definitely have the potential to both be Pro Bowlers, but I don't look for it in their first year. It'd be nice if all 4 made a Pro Bowl or two (or more) over the course of their careers, but time will tell.

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-06-2008, 09:41 AM
I think both of our first two picks have Pro bowl potential...but have high hopes for the other two...
Davis I see as a Boom or Bust player who will either learn to refine his technigue so as to transfer all that pass-rushing ability into his pro game or he will struggle to make the roster....
Tony Hills I am thinking may be a Marvel Smith type of player...who might always be considered a very good player...but not elite.

tony hipchest
05-06-2008, 09:48 AM
Rashard Mendenhall- flashes of steven jackson in a supporting role. fans will want him to supplant willie as the starter but the both of them together will have greater impact. both their pro bowl chances could be hurt.

Limas Sweed- possibly better than santonio holmes. will have an 80 catch season as soon as ward is gone or supplanted as the starter. but like heath miller, too many offensive weapons will probably keep their numbers (and salaries) low.

Bruce Davis- will replace harrison as the starter in about 4 years and earn a trip to the pro-bowl.

Tony Hills- will earn a big contract once his 3 year rookie deal is up.

Kvnfaber
05-06-2008, 09:49 AM
My best expectations show Mendenhall and Sweed as the obvious possibilities, but also giving chance that Davis can really bloom in a linebacker corps. down the road in which many "no name" linebackers have emerged to dominate.

Steeldude
05-06-2008, 12:05 PM
the pro bowl hasn't meant anything for a very long time.

nowadays it's all based on...

1. veteran status
2. popularity
3. poor pool of players to choose from

rarely does skill alone play a part in the selection process

Steeldude
05-06-2008, 12:14 PM
mendenhall - i have no idea. he won't be starting for a few years.

sweed - could be a very good WR. has the size.

davis - will be another LB like gildon and porter. one move to the QB and unable to stop the run effectively. however, this will please the average fan who believes sacks are the only measuring stick for judging a LB.

hills - will be gone in 2 years or less. nothing but IR for his career.

stlrtruck
05-06-2008, 12:32 PM
I selected all 4 for the simple fact:

They're all STEELERS and all STEELERS are perennial PRO-BOWLERS!!!

steelreserve
05-06-2008, 01:05 PM
I'm betting there will probably be at least one, but who knows which? Could just as easily be one of our sixth-round guys as our first-round guy.

Well, maybe not JUST as easily, but it's a crapshoot to say who's going to pan out and who's not.

I don't know about Pro Bowl, but in terms of being on the team 3 years from now? I'd guess

Mendenhall -- 95%
Sweed -- 80%
Davis -- 40%
Hills -- 25%
Dixon -- 80%
Humpal -- 10%
Mundy -- 30%

BettisFan
05-06-2008, 01:08 PM
They all could potentially make it ,they are all great.

DACEB
05-06-2008, 01:31 PM
I'm going out on a limb and say that all the picks make the roster, with Hills on IR for the first year.

Those four mentioned all have the potential, but Davis and Hills will most likely be down the road. RushHard and Sweed will have an immediate impact IMO.

Elvis
05-06-2008, 01:52 PM
I voted for 3 myself. I think that Rashard and Limas can definitely be pro-bowlers in time, because HInes is coming to his latter days as a steeler. I also think that Davis could be a steal if he plays as he did in college. I know there is gonna be a lot of people question me on him, but just go to youtube and check this guys' highlights out. I think given a few years, like 3 then he can develop into something other than just special teamer.
:noidea:

Elvis
05-06-2008, 01:55 PM
I'm betting there will probably be at least one, but who knows which? Could just as easily be one of our sixth-round guys as our first-round guy.

Well, maybe not JUST as easily, but it's a crapshoot to say who's going to pan out and who's not.

I don't know about Pro Bowl, but in terms of being on the team 3 years from now? I'd guess

Mendenhall -- 95%
Sweed -- 80%
Davis -- 40%
Hills -- 25%
Dixon -- 80%
Humpal -- 10%
Mundy -- 30%
I think that my percentages look like this:
Mendenhall 50 %
Sweed 50%
Davis 50%
Hills 50%
Dixon 50%
Humpal 50%
Mundy 50%
These are facts of life... anything can happen and it usually does..
:laughing:

verks36
05-06-2008, 01:56 PM
my 3

Rashard Mendenhall
Limas Sweed
Bruce Davis

bruce is a big stretch but if he pans out like every one is saying he will it is a legit possiblity

Edman
05-06-2008, 02:00 PM
A lot of potential for the first four guys. Davis has the potential to be another Joey Porter down the road. Talkative and very productive as a DE at UCLA. Silverback isn't getting any younger and Timmons looks to be moving inside. Yeah, I think Davis may be the future at OLB, if he pans out of course.

Mendenhall and Sweed are likely role players at this point and not starters. I don't see a Pro Bowl in the near future.

Anyway, the Pro Bowl has pretty much lost all meaning. Players can get in there on popularity only. The writing was on the wall when the likes of Vince Young or heck, even Michael Vick made it in. We've come a long way since the days of Elway, Marino, and Kelly.

SteelersTilIDie
05-06-2008, 02:25 PM
davis, mendenhall, sweed (in no particular order)

HometownGal
05-06-2008, 02:37 PM
Going on their collegiate reps alone (as I haven't seen either one of them in the pro capacity just yet), I believe Mendenhall and Sweed have the potential to become Pro-Bowlers at their respective positions at some point in their careers. A LOT is going to depend on the performance of our OL opening up running lanes for Mendenhall and giving Ben more than a split second to find Sweed downfield.

43Hitman
05-06-2008, 03:47 PM
I think that there could be two potential pro-bowlers in this rookie class. I don't however, think that either Mend or Sweed will be there this year. It will take a few years for these guys to get to that level in my opinion.

Pidots55
05-06-2008, 04:04 PM
guess Mendenhall, Sweed and Davis has potential to be Pro Bowlers.

steelreserve
05-06-2008, 06:27 PM
I think that my percentages look like this:
Mendenhall 50 %
Sweed 50%
Davis 50%
Hills 50%
Dixon 50%
Humpal 50%
Mundy 50%
These are facts of life... anything can happen and it usually does..
:laughing:

Well, yeah, there are no guarantees. For all I know, we could find out tomorrow that Casey Hampton is a serial rapist, and THEN what would our depth chart look like?

I was just basing my guesses on the idea that you usually keep your high picks for at least a couple years and give them a shot, and also that if Dixon makes the team, we'll probably try to lock him up for a few years for fairly cheap. The rest? Who the hell knows.

steelymcmatt
05-06-2008, 06:35 PM
[QUOTE=steelreserve;395332]Well, yeah, there are no guarantees. For all I know, we could find out tomorrow that Casey Hampton is a serial rapist, and THEN what would our depth chart look like?QUOTE]

It's less likely than if he were a Bengal:)

VTsteel
05-06-2008, 06:53 PM
the pro bowl hasn't meant anything for a very long time.

nowadays it's all based on...

1. veteran status
2. popularity
3. poor pool of players to choose from

rarely does skill alone play a part in the selection process

Word! :thumbsup:

Steeldude
05-07-2008, 12:49 AM
Davis has the potential to be another Joey Porter down the road. Talkative and very productive as a DE at UCLA.

geez, i hope not. that's all the steelers need. another big mouth LB with only one move to the QB

Aussie_steeler
05-07-2008, 03:31 AM
We know that the Steelers run the football and rush the OLB so I project Mendenhall and Davis.

Mendenhall should get a 1500+ yd season in the future, thus earning a pro bowl ticket.

Davis will get a chance down the road to start at OLB and earn 10+ sacks so he is a very good chance to be a probowler.

It is very hard for a steeler WR to go to the pro bowl so I am guessing NO to Sweed.

All the rest realistically have no chance. I just hope that none ever earn a probowl start for another team like Vrabel. That is my real pet hate.

Galax Steeler
05-07-2008, 03:35 AM
Definetly mendenhall I would say he will be there within three years and like aussie said he will be around 1500 yards before long.

43Hitman
05-07-2008, 02:50 PM
geez, i hope not. that's all the steelers need. another big mouth LB with only one move to the QB

What do you like about the Steelers? Cause seems to me that you don't like much lately.

Stlrs4Life
05-07-2008, 05:29 PM
Rocket Rashad and Sweed.

Preacher
05-07-2008, 05:57 PM

Funny,

as I seem to remember Joey working on (and having) about 3 or 4 moves in camp a few years ago.

Seems to me that your a little bitter about him.

Rhee Rhee
05-07-2008, 08:10 PM
i voted 1 but I don't even think 1 will make it...

I realize that these guys may have the talent but the fact that each of them will be sharing time with other guys at their position for a long time early in their careers prevents them getting votes from the average fan that looks at stats and names when they vote for the probowl...

Steeldude
05-07-2008, 09:35 PM
Funny,

as I seem to remember Joey working on (and having) about 3 or 4 moves in camp a few years ago.

Seems to me that your a little bitter about him.

3 or 4 moves? :rofl:

did he employ them during a game? the only move i saw was the big loop.

Steeldude
05-07-2008, 09:40 PM
What do you like about the Steelers? Cause seems to me that you don't like much lately.

i like how they got rid of kordell and decided to draft a legit QB.

i like how they let a useless porter go and let harrison start.

i like how they let haggans go and infused some new blood.

we all can't be lemmings, 43hitman. some of us have independent thoughts. this message board would be rather boring if we were all mindless automatons.

43Hitman
05-08-2008, 02:22 PM
i like how they got rid of kordell and decided to draft a legit QB.

i like how they let a useless porter go and let harrison start.

i like how they let haggans go and infused some new blood.

we all can't be lemmings, 43hitman. some of us have independent thoughts. this message board would be rather boring if we were all mindless automatons.

I agree with that. Just seems like you only want to dwell on the negative is all I am saying.

As for your comment on Porter being useless is almost laughable. As I remember it, he played a very integral part of the championship run in 05'. He damn near single-handily dismantled Peyton Manning in that playoff game. And was cut the following year when the whole team played like crap, with a lame duck head coach.

Haiku_Dirtt
05-10-2008, 03:42 AM
One maybe none. And I say this as being highly optimistic about what KC did on draft day. I say brilliant.

But Pro Bowling is more political - or media hyperbole - than net present value. I would like to think that getting solid contributors who are not a locker room menace should suffice.

Expecting one let alone four in ONE draft...dude share the malt. Neat please.

ace man 21
05-10-2008, 08:03 AM
i think rashard and sweed will be probowlers

Steeldude
05-10-2008, 08:52 AM
I agree with that. Just seems like you only want to dwell on the negative is all I am saying.

As for your comment on Porter being useless is almost laughable. As I remember it, he played a very integral part of the championship run in 05'. He damn near single-handily dismantled Peyton Manning in that playoff game. And was cut the following year when the whole team played like crap, with a lame duck head coach.

i wouldn't say negative. i would say i am a perfectionist :wink02: i did the same when i critiqued myself playing sports when i was younger. nothing was ever good enough. something could always be improved.

there will always be someone saying how great this is or how great that happens to be. i would rather focus on the weaknesses and discuss how to resolve them.

as for porter, IMO, he didn't do anything more than an average LB would have done in the same spot. most of his sacks come when he is either unblocked or the LT falls down. he also is very weak against the run. his inconsistency over the last few years was aggravating to say the least. IMO, porter was more of a product of the system than a good LB. same goes for gildon and foote. this is not to say they are/were junk. they were merely average LBs in a LB friendly system.

DACEB
05-10-2008, 09:15 AM
i wouldn't say negative. i would say i am a perfectionist there will always be someone saying how great this is or how great that happens to be. i would rather focus on the weaknesses and discuss how to resolve them.

I'm with you all the way on that one.:tt02:

millwalldavey
05-10-2008, 03:18 PM
Sweed and MEndenhall may be locks... Davis could be #3