PDA

View Full Version : Parker continuing the tradition.

Kvnfaber
05-06-2008, 12:22 PM
PITTSBURGH -- Every time Willie Parker sees Steelers rookie running back Rashard Mendenhall, he cannot help but think of Jerome Bettis.

The thought has nothing to do with Mendenhall's running style. It has to do with the way Bettis -- a future Hall of Famer -- embraced and tutored Parker as a rookie, which eventually led to Pittsburgh winning a Super Bowl their second year together in 2005.

"JB always kept it real with me,'' Parker said glowingly. "He told me as long as I passed the blueprint on to somebody else and not be selfish, that's the only way we can have the running back tradition that we've had here. So, yeah, it's my turn."

Parker's mentality has the potential to bring a smile to coach Mike Tomlin's face.

The Steelers' second-year coach says there is "great chemistry" and an "unwritten rule" of mentorship in Pittsburgh. The veterans teach the rookies the Steelers' way of doing things as soon as they get in the door, and the rookies are better off because of it. It's one of the reasons Pittsburgh remains one of the NFL's most steady and successful franchises.

Parker is not alone. Veteran receiver Hines Ward expressed the same sentiment about his relationship with Pittsburgh's second-round pick Limas Sweed. Ward sat out of minicamp following offseason knee surgery but was very hands-on with Sweed throughout the weekend, as he was in the past with Plaxico Burress and current teammate Santonio Holmes.

Ward cited former Steelers such as Courtney Hawkins and Charles Johnson as reasons he was able to produce early in his career.

"Those guys brought me in,'' Ward said. "Unfortunately, they left and I was the leader in Year 3, and it was me just learning on the run. But I remember vividly just coming into the league. In my time it was [looking up to] Kordell [Stewart] and Jerome, now these guys, they see Ben [Roethlisberger] and Troy [Polamalu] and they're in awe.''

Mendenhall, 20, is in awe mostly because he never thought he would become a Steeler. He didn't visit Pittsburgh during the entire draft process, and the team all but ruled out landing the Big Ten Player of the Year with the No. 23 overall pick.

Mendenhall was a projected top-15 selection. But on draft day he fell behind Oregon's Jonathan Stewart (No. 13 to Carolina) and former Arkansas tailbacks Darren McFadden (No. 4 to Oakland) and Felix Jones (No. 22 to Dallas), paving way for the surprise scenario.

"I didn't think I would be the fourth running back taken, but everything happens for a reason,'' Mendenhall responded.

Both tailbacks have taken different paths to the NFL.

Parker entered the league through the back door as an undrafted free agent after receiving little playing time at the University of North Carolina. Mendenhall received the red-carpet treatment last weekend as the team's first-round pick. He held his own press conference and received Pittsburgh's No. 1 jersey, which annually goes to the team's top selection.

Despite differing pedigrees, together the two could form one of the best one-two punches in the league next season. Their collective talents were on display during minicamp.

With darting runs throughout the weekend, Parker also showed he hasn't lost any speed following his return from last year's broken fibula. He was leading the NFL in rushing with 1,316 yards before his leg injury in December.

On Mendenhall's first day of practice, he caught a short pass on a check down from Roethlisberger. He then quickly changed direction to elude a would-be defender and sprinted up the field for a long gain.

You could hear several "oohs" from onlookers after that play. Unfortunately, Pittsburgh didn't see much more of Mendenhall after he tweaked his hamstring and was held out for the remainder of minicamp. His hard luck continued this week when he reportedly was robbed at gunpoint early Monday near his hometown of Chicago. No one was hurt in the incident.

Once the season starts, the Steelers expect Mendenhall to improve their flexibility on offense as well as the durability of Parker, who has 658 carries the past two seasons.

Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians is in the process of devising schemes to use both players in the same backfield. It's a package that has Parker and Mendenhall excited for next season, as the pair could give opposing defenses nightmares as dual running and receiving threats.

"It can be real dangerous,'' Parker said. "Defenses won't know what we can do. Usually when I'm in there, defenses would always try to put a bracket on me and try not to let me get down the field. With [Mendenhall] in there, it will open it up.''

Parker is seeing the positives of adding Mendenhall, and that can be nothing but good news for the Steelers and their rookie first-round pick.

One of the most memorable things Bettis told Parker in his rookie season was that he should always push the veteran as hard as he could, Parker said. That way, Bettis remained sharp as the starter, and Parker in turn became a better running back. Years later, that same advice is being passed down to Mendenhall.

"I was kind of nervous coming in, but that running back room with Willie, it's been nothing but professional since I've been here,'' Mendenhall said. "They're trying to help me as much as they can. The better I do, the better they're going to do as a team.''

Memo to Bettis: "Fast Willie" is keeping his promise.

Here is the link:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=walker_james&id=3383512

Mistah_Q
05-06-2008, 01:03 PM
Very nice read. Parker and Mendenhall both have the right attitude. . lets hope it translates to something spectacular on the field this season.

BettisFan
05-06-2008, 01:10 PM
I am glad to see it continue, Bettis tought parker so much i hope he can do the same

DACEB
05-06-2008, 01:19 PM
Great read, I miss 'The Bus' and everything he brought to this team.

Wow, the potential of this offense...wow!

I need to keep this all in perspective, we have'nt even played a game yet.

verks36
05-06-2008, 01:23 PM
if he is like bus then he is good in my book

Kvnfaber
05-06-2008, 01:42 PM
I am very much looking forward to the tandem that we have for 2008, however we have to be careful at looking at our potential and setting standards too high.

Every year, and I mean every single year, Browns fans tell me that this is their year, that they will whoop on our Steelers, and that is all based on potential. Stupid Browns fans.

I will certainly be happy if Mendenhall and Parker can stay healthy and if Mend can compliment Willie as he learns the ins and outs of this offense. He certainly has breakout potential, and I certainly hope he shows it. I can, however, see the fear in opposing defenses as they try to guess who will have the ball and be barreling at them or around them! :evil:

stillers4me
05-06-2008, 04:31 PM
I'm pumped!!!!!!! :tt03:

19ward86
05-06-2008, 04:45 PM
If mendenhall turns out to be like bettis but with 4.4 speed, i might crap my pants.

Dino 6 Rings
05-06-2008, 04:52 PM
It only makes sense for WP to want a solid back up. He knows he can't have a very long carreer getting 30 carries a game for 16 games + a season. He'd be broken sooner than later.

Preacher
05-06-2008, 05:16 PM
it is the attitude that has me pumped. If Sweed has that same attitude... then we are set at the offensive skill positions for quite some time.

slashsteel
05-06-2008, 06:14 PM
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x300/slashsteel/fast-and-furious1-1.jpg
And so began the days of our 1 2 punch at RB. NFL beware !

SteelCityFan
05-06-2008, 06:14 PM
Reading that article made me remember how great of a team player Jerome was. In todays "me" attitude of professional sports, it's great to see Willie keeping his promise to JB and continuing the tradition of helping out the new guy. Hopefully Sweed will benefit from Ward's team first attitude and learn as much about the position as Holmes did under Ward's wing.

SteelersJW
05-06-2008, 06:45 PM
That article brought a smile to my face. That's the kind of stuff I love to hear about. It makes me really happy that Willie's not being selfish after taking over the load. He owes a lot of his success to Bettis and he should follow in his footsteps of being a mentor to Mendenhall.

Galax Steeler
05-07-2008, 03:42 AM
Even willie was talking about how having both of them in the backfield at the sametime is going to twist up the deffense.
I have mendehall rookie card and he is definetly going to be able to block for Ben his size and he has arms like a cannon this is going to be a fun season.

43Hitman
05-07-2008, 02:59 PM
Even willie was talking about how having both of them in the backfield at the sametime is going to twist up the deffense.
I have mendehall rookie card and he is definetly going to be able to block for Ben his size and he has arms like a cannon this is going to be a fun season.

If you don't mind, where did you get it from?

Elvis
05-07-2008, 04:33 PM
My thoughts exactly Verks..
The Steelers really need for Mendenhall to come in here and be our Big Back that the Bus was. We need that Battering Ram at the end of these close games to finish our opponents off.
:tt02:

Galax Steeler
05-07-2008, 04:48 PM
If you don't mind, where did you get it from?

Upper deck trading cards I got them at wal mart.

Stlrs4Life
05-07-2008, 05:17 PM
Very good read, wouldn't expect it any other way.