PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Defense Not Real Young..

Elvis
05-06-2008, 02:32 PM
This is a look at our proposed Defensive Starters for '08 and their ages or birthdates:

DE Aaron Smith 4/9/76 (32)
NT Casey Hampton 9/3/77 (will be 31 in sept.)
DE Brett Keisel 9/19/78 (will be 30 in sept.)

OLB James Harrison 5/4/78 ( will be 30 this month)
ILB James Farrior 1/6/75 (33)
ILB Larry Foote 6/12/80 (will be 28 in june)
OLB Lamar Woodley 11/3/84 (still young)

DB Ike Taylor 5/15/80 (will be 28 this month) Not bad
DB Deshea Townsend 9/8/75 (will be 33 in sept.)
SS Troy Polomalu 4/19/81 (a youthful 27)
FS Ryan Clark 10/12/79 ( will be 29 in mid october)

Now, we have some youth behind some of these guys especially at LB's and DB's , but DE has been over looked for too many years I think. what ya think about this veteran defense?

Black@Gold Forever32
05-06-2008, 02:55 PM
The Steelers DL is in major need of a youth movement....The starters are still solid but they're aging...The backups are aging also (except for McBean)......

The LB core has a nice mix of vets and young players.....Timmons, Woodley, Davis, and Humpal all are young...Don't count out this Humpal kid.....Then you have Harrison, Larry Foote, and James Farrior....I think Farrior will be back as long as he has another solid year this year....

The secondary besides Townsend is in good shape from an age standpoint...I think Carter will be gone.....

Dino 6 Rings
05-06-2008, 02:59 PM
don't care about their age as long as they tackle and hit hard and destroy the other team...but yeah, we need some youth on the line, eventually we'll get it. There is no guarentee that a 22 year old fresh out of college is going to be worth a dang so I'll take what we got into battle and hope for the best.

tony hipchest
05-06-2008, 03:01 PM
what ya think about this veteran defense?]

year in and year out, its one of the best in the league.

dick lebeau is ancient too.

43Hitman
05-06-2008, 03:12 PM
year in and year out, its one of the best in the league.

dick lebeau is ancient too.

Ha, well said. Although, I do feel a youth movement on the DL is coming sooner rather than later. As in the next 2 years.

OneForTheToe
05-06-2008, 04:05 PM
Something that Bettis once said about being a 30+ year old running back comes to mind. He said, in essence, that it wasn't the age itself that slowed you down but rather those little injuries that never quite completely heal compounding on top of each other. So really, it is almost as much about mileage as it is age. Heck, in some sports you reach your athletic prime in your mid 30's. Wasn't there a sprinter from Great Britain in the 90's who owned "the fastest man alive title" at 38?

If you look at the Steelers' D, it would be nice to have some young legs on the line so as too give some of the older one's a break (although there isn't that much mileage on Kiesel's legs). Of course a pair of Booger legs, if healthy, would at the very least add some depth.

HometownGal
05-06-2008, 04:33 PM
As in life, age is just a number. Vet experience, leadership and taking our future starters under their wings and schooling them in what it takes to be a member of the Pittsburgh Steelers is more vital, imho.

Pidots55
05-06-2008, 05:25 PM
Something that Bettis once said about being a 30+ year old running back comes to mind. He said, in essence, that it wasn't the age itself that slowed you down but rather those little injuries that never quite completely heal compounding on top of each other. So really, it is almost as much about mileage as it is age. Heck, in some sports you reach your athletic prime in your mid 30's. Wasn't there a sprinter from Great Britain in the 90's who owned "the fastest man alive title" at 38?

If you look at the Steelers' D, it would be nice to have some young legs on the line so as too give some of the older one's a break (although there isn't that much mileage on Kiesel's legs). Of course a pair of Booger legs, if healthy, would at the very least add some depth.
agree with you

Preacher
05-06-2008, 05:50 PM
Heck...

when I played Rugby... you only were considered getting good when you hit thirty... mainly because of the experience and maturity that came with the game.

The difference of course, is that you are told to only give about 75 percent in teh game... so that you can pace yourself for the entire game. It really is an ENTIRELY different way of thinking.

steelreserve
05-06-2008, 06:30 PM
The backups are aging also (except for McBean)......

So what you're saying is ... McBean is IMMORTAL!!!!

MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

SteelersJW
05-06-2008, 06:47 PM
Could be worse. At least we don't have Teddy Bruschi and Junior Seau.

BettisFan
05-06-2008, 06:50 PM
This is a look at our proposed Defensive Starters for '08 and their ages or birthdates:

DE Aaron Smith 4/9/76 (32)
NT Casey Hampton 9/3/77 (will be 31 in sept.)
DE Brett Keisel 9/19/78 (will be 30 in sept.)

OLB James Harrison 5/4/78 ( will be 30 this month)
ILB James Farrior 1/6/75 (33)
ILB Larry Foote 6/12/80 (will be 28 in june)
OLB Lamar Woodley 11/3/84 (still young)

DB Ike Taylor 5/15/80 (will be 28 this month) Not bad
DB Deshea Townsend 9/8/75 (will be 33 in sept.)
SS Troy Polomalu 4/19/81 (a youthful 27)
FS Ryan Clark 10/12/79 ( will be 29 in mid october)

Now, we have some youth behind some of these guys especially at LB's and DB's , but DE has been over looked for too many years I think. what ya think about this veteran defense?

The vets in the nfl are what keep it great! They can keep it up.

ChronoCross
05-06-2008, 11:41 PM
I was surprise we did not address DE more since players like Smith when he goes down it opens up a gap because we do not have quality depth behind him and so it is a concern to me if we do not address some of this issues next draft. I know Smith has some age but we have him a few more years so hopefully soon we get someone grooming behind him soon.

Galax Steeler
05-07-2008, 03:46 AM
I would have to definetly say we will address the deffense next year by looking at the ages of our deffense our line is a big issue.

Elvis
05-07-2008, 06:37 AM
Now, I love our defense guys/gals.. dont get me wrong. But our INT's went from 20 2 years ago to 11 last year. Our Sacks went from 39 to 36 in that span as well. We need fresh legs and more speed and I am not sure that Woodley gives us that at OLB. I think that Timmons has the speed and agility to get it done at ILB in the Ray Lewis image. This Davis guy our 3rd round pick seems to have great speed and that is what our OLB's have got to have right?. I am just looking forward to this upcoming season very much and seeing our offense prosper and be very potent with our new offensive weapons.
:tt02:

GBMelBlount
05-07-2008, 07:59 AM
We need fresh legs and more speed and I am not sure that Woodley gives us that at OLB.

A difference of a tenth or two is only a step or two over the entire 40. And again, timed 40's don't necessarily translate to game speed. There are so many other important factors as well. I feel very good about how Woodley developed last year and feel he can potentially be a big impact player this year.

TackleMeBen
05-07-2008, 08:09 AM
i am sure they will address this next year in the draft. you know we wont sign any FAs next year b/c we dont do that:chuckle:

Steeldude
05-07-2008, 08:24 AM
that's ok. the steelers will address the aging defense in 2012. right now the steelers need to replenish their RB corps and draft a QB who can run, but not pass.

:joker: :wink02:

Elvis
05-07-2008, 12:23 PM
A difference of a tenth or two is only a step or two over the entire 40. And again, timed 40's don't necessarily translate to game speed. There are so many other important factors as well. I feel very good about how Woodley developed last year and feel he can potentially be a big impact player this year.
A step or two could be the difference between having a Ray Lewis and having a 75 yard touchdown run against ya...
:hatsoff:

GBMelBlount
05-07-2008, 12:30 PM
A step or two could be the difference between having a Ray Lewis and having a 75 yard touchdown run against ya...
:hatsoff:

So I guess we will better off replacing Woodley with a faster linebacker......

fansince'76
05-07-2008, 12:34 PM
I think that Timmons has the speed and agility to get it done at ILB in the Ray Lewis image.

Yep, just what I want - a LB who jumps on top of the pile after the play is already over while the statman gives him credit for 2 solo tackles. FWIW, I'm hoping Timmons outperforms arguably the most overrated LB in NFL history. :coffee:

Edman
05-07-2008, 02:10 PM
Timmons like Ray Lewis? Are you kidding me?

Timmons should be reaching for a higher, more reasonable goal: Like Levon Kirkland or James Farrior.

Welcome To Smashmouth
05-07-2008, 04:20 PM
It may not find itself on the "real young" side of the ballfield, but it is extremely talented, and I'll take that over a young, inefficient ball club 8 days a week.

Galax Steeler
05-07-2008, 04:42 PM
I think woodley is doing a great job and will continue doing a great job for years to come.

DACEB
05-07-2008, 05:55 PM
As in life, age is just a number. Vet experience, leadership and taking our future starters under their wings and schooling them in what it takes to be a member of the Pittsburgh Steelers is more vital, imho.

That experience is irreplaceable. Hopefully health will be on our side this year.

Maybe McBean can start the year on IR, giving someone else an oppurtunity at least the first 1/3 of the season. Maybe one of the UDFAs makes it on the D-line...maybe...hopefully.

Rhee Rhee
05-07-2008, 08:05 PM
hmm....

interior line needs a youth movenment..

i'm targeting tyson jackson of LSU next year to help out...

changAlang24
05-11-2008, 02:25 AM
hmm....

interior line needs a youth movenment..

i'm targeting tyson jackson of LSU next year to help out...

considering the steelers receive a higher draft pick, above 15 at least, IMO tyson jackson will not be available.

Tim Jamison could be a good pickup as a 3-4 OLB.

Tyson would be great, perfect 3-4 end, however, I'm not confident he will be there when the steelers are on the clock.

Elvis
05-11-2008, 05:46 AM
Timmons like Ray Lewis? Are you kidding me?

Timmons should be reaching for a higher, more reasonable goal: Like Levon Kirkland or James Farrior.
My quote looks like this Edman....
" I think that Timmons has the speed and agility to get it done at ILB in the Ray Lewis image"
I have never said in any way that he is Lewis ... check your threads and make sure what they say
:doh:

Elvis
05-11-2008, 05:50 AM
So I guess we will better off replacing Woodley with a faster linebacker......

Yep, just what I want - a LB who jumps on top of the pile after the play is already over while the statman gives him credit for 2 solo tackles. FWIW, I'm hoping Timmons outperforms arguably the most overrated LB in NFL history. :coffee:

You guys say what ya want to say, but when Ray Lewis was in his prime, he was one of the best in the league. The guy makes tackles fansince, obviously you guys arent watching the same game that I have been watching..

fansince'76
05-11-2008, 10:11 AM
You guys say what ya want to say, but when Ray Lewis was in his prime, he was one of the best in the league. The guy makes tackles fansince, obviously you guys arent watching the same game that I have been watching..

If you mean one of the best in the league at running his yap and tooting his own horn, I agree. Even when Ray-Ray was in his "prime," I saw more than a few Ravens games where I didn't hear his number called once during the entire game, or see him make any impact whatsoever, but when perusing the box score in the sports section the following day for the same game, saw where he was given credit for 10+ solo tackles. Did you know that he went to the Pro Bowl again as a reserve this past season? For what? All he did this past season was call his HC out in the press for his crappy playcalling. Just another example of how this guy is completely overrated because of his big mouth more than anything else. Still say he was and is vastly overrated, sorry.

Elvis
05-15-2008, 02:39 PM
I just know that Ray made alot of plays the year they won the super bowl and he is a great LB in my opinion..
:helmet:

paw-n-maul-u
05-15-2008, 03:12 PM
If you mean one of the best in the league at running his yap and tooting his own horn, I agree. Even when Ray-Ray was in his "prime," I saw more than a few Ravens games where I didn't hear his number called once during the entire game, or see him make any impact whatsoever, but when perusing the box score in the sports section the following day for the same game, saw where he was given credit for 10+ solo tackles. Did you know that he went to the Pro Bowl again as a reserve this past season? For what? All he did this past season was call his HC out in the press for his crappy playcalling. Just another example of how this guy is completely overrated because of his big mouth more than anything else. Still say he was and is vastly overrated, sorry.

Tooting his own horn? ... you must not have liked joey porter either. Sorry, But Ray Lewis is one of the most outstanding, athletically talented, instinctive, and all out badass linebackers ever to play this game. He completely revolutionized the LB position.

He hit's hard, never gives up, and all he ever wants to do is win. Off field incident aside, I would consider him maybe the greatest LB of all time (aside from LT), althought they played different LB positions. Definitly in the top 5.

Ha i really can't even believe you think ray lewis is overrated. that is just unreal. ive heard some dumb things but ...

paw-n-maul-u
05-15-2008, 03:13 PM
Back to the topic at hand.

Steelers need to start grooming some players to fill in for Big Snack and Smith in a few years when they are most likely gone or not as good.

fansince'76
05-15-2008, 03:19 PM
Tooting his own horn? ... you must not have liked joey porter either. Sorry, But Ray Lewis is one of the most outstanding, athletically talented, instinctive, and all out badass linebackers ever to play this game. He completely revolutionized the LB position.

He hit's hard, never gives up, and all he ever wants to do is win. Off field incident aside, I would consider him maybe the greatest LB of all time (aside from LT), althought they played different LB positions. Definitly in the top 5.

Ha i really can't even believe you think ray lewis is overrated. that is just unreal. ive heard some dumb things but ...

Well, it's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. Top 5 all-time? Not nearly. I'd put him well behind LT, Lambert, Ham, Lloyd and Singletary, and that's just the LBs I've seen play - I'd be willing to bet a lot of old-timers would put Butkus and Nitschke ahead of him as well. And no, I wasn't a big fan of Porter's jawing either. Especially when he could no longer back it up on the field.

paw-n-maul-u
05-15-2008, 03:47 PM
Well, it's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. Top 5 all-time? Not nearly. I'd put him well behind LT, Lambert, Ham, Lloyd and Singletary, and that's just the LBs I've seen play - I'd be willing to bet a lot of old-timers would put Butkus and Nitschke ahead of him as well. And no, I wasn't a big fan of Porter's jawing either. Especially when he could no longer back it up on the field.

The athletic talent alone puts him ahead of almost any of the oldtimers, that I can assure you.

Oklahoma drills ... RAY LEWIS vs. DICK B. ... please ... it would not even be fair. Any man that fears life would not want to go against ray lewis in an oklahoma drill. and dont get me wrong I hate that bird flapping homo mutha fugga (ray lewis) BUT, to deny how great he is on the simple fact of being a steelers fan is just ignorant.

I say he's a top five LB ... you name five "better" lb's and THREE are steelers ... Biased? most definitely.

Just like you think starks transition tag over Faneca franchise tag was maybe the right move, you are wrong on this also, and I don't even want to get into how retarded it was to pay fatass max starks a little less than what it would have taken to keep faneca for one more year. #9 worst move of offseason , OHHH, BLASPHEMY!!!

fansince'76
05-15-2008, 03:49 PM
Just like you think starks transition tag over Faneca franchise tag was maybe the right move, you are wrong on this also, and I don't even want to get into how retarded it was to pay fatass max starks a little less than what it would have taken to keep faneca for one more year. #9 worst move of offseason , OHHH, BLASPHEMY!!!

But according to your myopic view, the Rooneys are cheap and don't overpay anybody, genius. Oklahoma drills? Please. Talk about ignorance. :coffee:

paw-n-maul-u
05-15-2008, 04:02 PM
haha cheap, please Mr. Moderator, run through my entire post history and find one time that I have said the rooneys are cheap.

You didn't address anything I even just said, can you think of a few other MLB's over the past ten years that you would want other than ray lewis? haha that AREN'T steelers?

I'll give you my possible short list. Zach Thomas ... anddddddddddddddddddddddd

... mmm noone. and Zach Thomas doesn't bring 1/1000 of the intensity and leadership that ray lewis brings to the ravens. like I said, I can't stand the guy, but ignoring his talent/production/leadership is just retarded. Almost as retarded as arguing about ray lewis in the first place. But you sir, are wrong!

fansince'76
05-15-2008, 04:04 PM
haha cheap, please Mr. Moderator, run through my entire post history and find one time that I have said the rooneys are cheap.

You didn't address anything I even just said, can you think of a few other MLB's over the past ten years that you would want other than ray lewis? haha that AREN'T steelers?

I'll give you my possible short list. Zach Thomas ... anddddddddddddddddddddddd

... mmm noone. and Zach Thomas doesn't bring 1/1000 of the intensity and leadership that ray lewis brings to the ravens. like I said, I can't stand the guy, but ignoring his talent/production/leadership is just retarded. Almost as retarded as arguing about ray lewis in the first place. But you sir, are wrong!

Never mind - not worth it. :coffee:

paw-n-maul-u
05-15-2008, 04:12 PM
SILENCED!

VIC-TOR-REEEEEEEEEE That little caricature of you reading the paper and drinking coffee is probably more something like you googleing (best MLB's NFL history)

and then you couldnt find anything in any articles ... so you hit the "images" tab up top and all you probably saw was picture of RAY RAY ahhhahahaha

Elvis
05-15-2008, 05:19 PM

paw n maul u... you need to go get a history check on the NFL's Greatest LB's in my opinion. I like the way Lewis plays his position, but I dont know that the man is in the top 5 all-time.
And I guarentee you... I wouldnt take him over Jack Lambert!!
Or Lawrence Taylor or Mike Singletary or even Junior Seau in his prime. Right there is 4 that is or was probably better than Lewis ever was. I think that there is one LB playing in San Diego right now that is better than Lewis was.. by the name of Shawn Merriman. I dont think that Jack Ham was a better over all player than Lewis, but there is alot better LB's than what Lewis ever was or ever will be.
:coffee:

LVSteelersfan
05-15-2008, 07:23 PM
Ray Lewis is a loud mouthed jack A$$ but you can't deny that he was one of the best in his prime years. I wouldn't say best ever but he was in on almost every play. I probably would put him in the top 20 of all time but the number 1 jerk of all time. There are just too many AWESOME linebackers over the history of the game for Lewis to be in the top 5. Singletary was the best ever as far as I'm concerned with our old buddy Lambert right on his heels. As far as sheer ferocity you have to put Dick Butkus in there. He was a beast. You could argue all day long on who the best linebacker of all time is and never reach a consensus. Of course I hate Ray Lewis so he never reaches number 1 in my book.

steelreserve
05-16-2008, 11:44 AM
I wouldn't put Lewis as the #1 jerk of all time. Lawrence Phillips, Rae Carruth, Maurice Clarrett, Pacman Jones... well, even they're not that much worse than him, but they're pretty bad.

Mainly, I just don't want to see Lewis named the best at anything, even at being a jerk.

Steeldude
05-16-2008, 12:30 PM
they need to start addressing the D-line and quick. the steelers do not have one single hot prospect to take smith's or hampton's spot. hampton's weight is going to catch up to him. i hope he loses about 30lbs.

everything could snowball if they don't do something. O-line, D-line, CBs and LB depth could fall all at once. collecting WRs and RBs isn't going to fix the problem.

we don't even know if the O-line is going to be better or worse. hartwig might be another mahan. who knows if starks is even going to start.

who are the replacements for...

farrior
townsend
a. smith
m. smith
hampton

steelreserve
05-16-2008, 12:43 PM
who are the replacements for...

farrior (Timmons)
townsend (McFadden)
a. smith (don't know)
m. smith (numerous)
hampton (don't know)

I think we're also crossing our fingers that most of them will last us a couple years, and we might sign a guy or two in FA to fill in the cracks.

One thing Townsend has going for him is that DBs can play for a long time if they know what they're doing. Even if this is his last year starting, he can basically switch roles with McFadden and still be effective for a while.

Defensive line is going to be a problem if we don't do something about it soon.

I still see nothing wrong with picking a WR and a RB, though. Much as I hate to say it, Hines Ward is probably no more than 3 years from retirement, and if you blink you might miss the decline of a star running back's career. So we definitely needed to make sure we had a future at those positions.

Steeldude
05-16-2008, 02:14 PM
townsend needs a better replacement than mcfadden. i think gay would be a better replacement. besides, mcfadden has stated he wants big money. is his contract up after this season?

if timmons takes farrior's spot then who takes foote's?

m. smith has numerous competent replacements? i can't think of one. unless the steelers re-sign starks again. what's scary about that is he couldn't beat out a rookie guard at RT last year.

steelreserve
05-16-2008, 03:29 PM
OK, well let me put it this way: I'm not worried about who's going to take Townsend's place, because we've got like 20 defensive backs. If McFadden isn't the guy, it'll probably be because one of the others turns out to be better. I don't really worry a whole lot with him back there, not like I would 5-6 years ago.

I don't know who's going to take Foote's spot. Probably someone from this draft or the next two. We're always picking up LB prospects; that's the one thing that's a certainty.

Or, if we ever switch primarily to a 4-3, maybe nobody takes Foote's place. That could happen too.

The offensive line is always going to be a revolving door on virtually any football team. You don't need five All-Pros. If one of our current young guys doesn't turn into a decent replacement for Smith, it's always pretty cheap to sign a FA who's at least adequate. Or you can just spend a third-round pick on whoever's graduating from Cal that year, and those guys are usually ready to play in a season or so. At any rate, I'd be really surprised if none of our OL backups turns into a solid starter one day.

tony hipchest
05-16-2008, 03:29 PM
townsend needs a better replacement than mcfadden. i think gay would be a better replacement. besides, mcfadden has stated he wants big money. is his contract up after this season?

if timmons takes farrior's spot then who takes foote's?

m. smith has numerous competent replacements? i can't think of one. unless the steelers re-sign starks again. what's scary about that is he couldn't beat out a rookie guard at RT last year.i think mcfadden just said hes ready to get paid. im sure he's ready to capitalize on a starters role to prove his worth and establish his market value. people just assume he wants champ bailey type of money because rosehaus is his agent. i never recall him saying he wants big money though.

i think starks just got fat, happy, and complacent after the superbowl year and needed a wake up call. he was benched and did seem to show he took notice. the rooneys are dangling the 1 year carrot in front of his nose. im hoping hes ready to show his bad year was the fluke, not his good year (much like ben did after his accident).

we have a well rounded team that is in good cap shape for the forseeable future. i think things will work out. :cool:

paw-n-maul-u
05-16-2008, 10:13 PM
Anyone remember how long it took Marlin Jackson of the colts to take over the starting job? And he was a first round pick.

Mcfadden was a second and heading into his fourth year, I'm pretty sure that is only a year later than when Jackson took over. Regardless, I want to see how he does in a more prominent role.

Hopefully starks did just get a little fat and happy. If he wants to be a steeler for a long time then he needs to put up big time this year.