PDA

View Full Version : Your Least Favorite Draft Pick?

Elvis
05-06-2008, 02:43 PM
:coffee: Saw this poll elsewhere and thought I would ask it here as well.
Which of the steelers '08 draft picks were your least favorite pick?
RB Mendenhall
WR Limas Sweed
LB Bruce Davis
OT Tony Hills
QB Dennis Dixon
LB Mike Humpal
S Ryan Mundy
I think that Tony Hills is my least favorite pick, only because it too the steelers so long to select an o lineman.

tony hipchest
05-06-2008, 03:46 PM
i think humpal has the most depth in front of him, therefore the longest odds of making the team, so i will say him.

ShutDown24
05-06-2008, 03:56 PM
I didn't like the Humpal pick. Other than that I liked all of our selections.

tony hipchest
05-06-2008, 04:11 PM
really, i think the humpal pick could have lots of upside for a 6th rounder. what i like most is he seems dedicated to school and being smart.

COLLEGE: In his final 24 games, posted 172 tackles (69 solos), 10 stops behind the line of scrimmage, two forced fumbles, five pass deflections and six interceptions…his 123 tackles in 2007 rank 26th on the school’s season-record list..graduated in May, 2007 with a bachelor's degree in Health and Sport Studies and is presently working towards an advanced degree…four-time Academic All-Big Ten Conference selection. 2007:

the same can be said for mundy-

earned a bachelor’s degree in sport management from Michigan in May 2007.

selected by the National Football Foundation and College Football Hall of Fame’s Hampshire Honor Society as a scholar-athlete…currently working on a master’s degree in sports administration.

Texasteel
05-06-2008, 04:26 PM
I think Dixon, not because I don't think he can be a good player for us, but because at the time I didn't know where he stood physically. I'm still not to sure.

St33lersguy
05-06-2008, 04:30 PM
I thought picking Humpal made little to no sense

Black@Gold Forever32
05-06-2008, 04:34 PM
i think humpal has the most depth in front of him, therefore the longest odds of making the team, so i will say him.

But there isn't a ton of depth at ILB which is what Humpal.....Right now there is Farrior, Foote, and Timmons....After this year Farrior could be gone.....If Humpal stands out on special teams in the pre-season games and shows enough that he can play ILB at this level then I think he will make the team....Steelers keep around 8 LBs usually....

Harrison, Farrior, Foote, Woodley, Timmons, Davis.....Those are locks......opps forgot about Fox....He will battle with Humpal....I think Arnold Harrison will be the backup at the other OLB spot.....

Dylan
05-06-2008, 06:54 PM
Im just saying this because im a huge penn state fan...justin king in the 3rd round..but from what im hearing davis could prove me wrong

TheWarDen86
05-06-2008, 06:58 PM
Least favorite is Hills, but I'm going on what little I know of him and his medical history. Not a dislike, just a "least fav."

PisnNapalm
05-06-2008, 08:46 PM
I haven't seen what any of them can do yet. I'm not prepared to bash any one of them yet.

BettisFan
05-06-2008, 10:41 PM
yep humpal all the way

Aussie_steeler
05-07-2008, 03:10 AM
My least favourite pick would have to be our third round pick, Davis. My reasoning for nominating this pick is not for who or what the player is, but because of who we passed up in that round.

The third round pick was the ideal opportunity to seriously address particularly the D line. Davis is a DE who projects as a OLB. I would have preferred Dre Moore or Red Bryant. I pimped many 3rd round D line guys in the War Room so I have to stand by my earlier posts. (although if you dig deep enough you might find I also had an OLB, Crable, in some of my mocks in the 3rd)

Now that we have drafted them they have all become favourites as they are all now PITTSBURGH STEELERS.:tt02:

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-07-2008, 03:48 AM
I think Dixon, not because I don't think he can be a good player for us, but because at the time I didn't know where he stood physically. I'm still not to sure.

I voted Dixon also....Inaccurate..and throws into coverage. I had thought that he might be a QB/WR ...but I can't help but be reminded of Omar Jacobs.

Galax Steeler
05-07-2008, 03:58 AM
I voted Dixon also....Inaccurate..and throws into coverage. I had thought that he might be a QB/WR ...but I can't help but be reminded of Omar Jacobs.

I would also have to say dixon the guy might show some flashes of good playing but we could have used someone besides him.

Elvis
05-07-2008, 12:30 PM
I dont see Omar Jacobs at all in Dixon. Dixon is alot better player than Jacobs and was not always in the shotgun passing game like Jacobs was.

Rhee Rhee
05-07-2008, 05:55 PM
i wouldve liked to see us pick marcus monk WR or, kirk barton OT or mackenzy bernadeau OG...

but cant complain with the production of humpal

Steel Buckeye
05-09-2008, 10:33 PM
I hate the Dennis Dixon pick. Why draft a QB when you don't need one, and what makes it worse is drafting a hurt QB, when there is still good o-line talent available. Christ, they could have had Carl Nicks or Roy Schuening. Next to Coclough this has to be the most idiotic draft move the Steelers have made in the past few years.

Rhee Rhee
05-10-2008, 04:51 AM
I hate the Dennis Dixon pick. Why draft a QB when you don't need one, and what makes it worse is drafting a hurt QB, when there is still good o-line talent available. Christ, they could have had Carl Nicks or Roy Schuening. Next to Coclough this has to be the most idiotic draft move the Steelers have made in the past few years.

we do need one. charlie batch will be 34 when by mid season... we signed jared zabransky who's best known for going nuts in that bowl game against oklahoma but may i remind you he was on the practice squad for the houston texans... my goodness if there's one place you should be able to land a starting gig its with houston who's starting QB went down early on..

i love the pick and can't wait to see how arians molds him into a dual-threat QB and how he uses him as a gadget play man...

DACEB
05-10-2008, 05:06 AM
I voted Dixon, for the simple reason that the team had other pressing needs beyond back-up QB. I think this kid has great potential, but the only way I see him having great value is if he is willing and capable of playing the slash V2 role. At least until he is too valuable as a back-up QB. That, IMO, would be the ideal situation for him and us.

GBMelBlount
05-10-2008, 08:17 AM
I gave us a "D+" grade right after the draft last year. This year I'd say B-. After first two rounds I felt there were some projects and luxury picks taken when there were still solid pics available for both lines. After round 3 it can start to become a real crapchute. So I guess I'd say round 3, not so much because of who we picked, but because of what was overlooked imo.

steelymcmatt
05-10-2008, 10:54 AM
I chose Dixon...seems like a luxury pick that we didn't have the luxury to make. I'd have rather they taken Schuening who was the next player off the board. Having said that, I'll put my faith in KC and the front office and hopefully they will prove me wrong!

xXTheSteelKingsXx
05-10-2008, 10:59 AM
I chose Davis not so much because I don't like him as a player but I feel that we could have gotten him in a later round and grabbed Dre Moore or Red Bryant in the third.

Texasteel
05-10-2008, 12:41 PM
I chose Davis not so much because I don't like him as a player but I feel that we could have gotten him in a later round and grabbed Dre Moore or Red Bryant in the third.

Couldn't argue with a choice of Dre Moore, but I don't think he would have had a shot at Davis any later.

Elvis
05-11-2008, 07:24 AM
So, from what I gather, everyone is happy with our top 2 picks? I am myself. I like the looks of this draft the more I look at it. Two young players for Ben to grow up and tutor with, this could be a very special offense if Mendenhall and Sweed flurish.
:tt02:

Texasteel
05-11-2008, 08:45 AM
Personally I liked the draft. I saw some big time players, and some solid players taken. I also saw the team make some FA signings that could make the o-line fairly solid for another year. Couple that with the offencive and defencive linemen that will likly be available to us in next years draft, and I think the team did a very good job.

steel anchor
06-29-2008, 05:15 PM
I would go with Dixon. I think thats a good spot to get an athlete. Like Hester that the Bears have.

MasterOfPuppets
07-01-2008, 09:47 PM
I chose Davis not so much because I don't like him as a player but I feel that we could have gotten him in a later round and grabbed Dre Moore or Red Bryant in the third. gotta agree here....

Havik
08-03-2008, 11:01 AM
Dennis Dixon. I understand the need for backup QB, but I would have taken Andre Woodson instead.

Blitzburgh_Fever
08-04-2008, 06:46 PM
Dennis Dixon. I understand the need for backup QB, but I would have taken Andre Woodson instead.

Have you seen Woodson throw? He has this really unusual windup that will have to be taught out of him, and I'd worry a lot of his power comes from that windup. I'm also an IU fan, so I could just hate Kentucky, but Dixon was a Heisman candidate before he got injured.

On topic, my least favorite would have to be Humpal as well, but I still like the pick. The day of the draft I'd have said Mundy, but it seems like he's playing well (another intelligent FO move) in training camp.

Blitzburgh_Fever
08-04-2008, 06:48 PM
I would go with Dixon. I think thats a good spot to get an athlete. Like Hester that the Bears have.

Hester was a second round pick. It's fairly unusual for a truly natural athlete like Hester to fall that late, and if they do there's virtually zero upswing in ability.

And yes, there are of course exceptions, but drafting a guy in the fifth round based on athleticism instead of ability potential is a bit of a reach.

SteelMember
08-06-2008, 11:07 AM
What? No love for Humpal. This kid looks like a player to me. We will need someone on special teams, and that will be where he makes the final cut or not. If he dosen't make the roster, we may lose him before we can put him on the practice squad.

I would have chose Hills. Based on the small amount I've heard coming out of college. He "will" be a practice squad player.imo.

Texasteel
08-06-2008, 01:50 PM
What? No love for Humpal. This kid looks like a player to me. We will need someone on special teams, and that will be where he makes the final cut or not. If he dosen't make the roster, we may lose him before we can put him on the practice squad.

I would have chose Hills. Based on the small amount I've heard coming out of college. He "will" be a practice squad player.imo.

Actually, Humpal is a pretty popular pick after everyone started to learn a little more about him. He and Davis make this a very good LBer draft IMO. I hope the team can keep him or hide him for a year.

Hill will make this team unless he is hurt.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-07-2008, 10:26 AM

Funy how Dre Moore was seen by many as a 1st rounder and slipped to the 4th. Red Bryant would be a NT, I dont think he has the mobility to play DE, but at least he wouldnt be on the PUP.

I thought this was a poll on the least favorite draft year. I was gonna go with 1999 and Troy Edwards, Scott Sheilds.....but Porter, Tuman and Aaron Smith came out of that one.

I like all of our picks, because they are in B&G right now, although being a guy that likes O-line.....Hills has terrible technique and isnt a steal in the 4th round. I would have preferred Anthony Collins or Carl Nicks.

Texasteel
08-07-2008, 06:40 PM
Isn't it funny how some here thought that Davis looked weak. Now all I hear out of training camp is how darn strong he is.

I may get blasted for saying this, but in a couple of years we may have the best group of LBs in football.

The Duke
08-07-2008, 06:46 PM
Isn't it funny how some here thought that Davis looked weak. Now all I hear out of training camp is how darn strong he is.

yeah, he had his early struggles, but now he seems to be improving

I may get blasted for saying this, but in a couple of years we may have the best group of LBs in football.

definitely, this is pittburgh after all :tt02:

Davis-Humpal-Timmons-Woodley. I can't say it enough times, they are the future!!

Texasteel
08-07-2008, 07:03 PM
Davis-Humpal-Timmons-Woodley. I can't say it enough times, they are the future!!

Sounds better every time I hear it. :thumbsup:

tony hipchest
08-07-2008, 07:27 PM
I may get blasted for saying this, but in a couple of years we may have the best group of LBs in football.blasted? we may have the best group sooner than that (especially when counting back-ups).

Rhee Rhee
08-12-2008, 02:09 AM
humpal seems like J Leman in a sense that he's an incredibly hard worker and gets by with smarts and good technique but then again he's also the second coming of dan morgan not with all the talent but with all the injuries.. i don't think i've seen a steelers.com report yet saying that he was healthy and ready to go..

from what i read he just suffered a stinger and was limited with a hammy throughout camp...

Havik
10-17-2008, 09:11 AM
I'm still unhappy about drafting 3rd string QB Dennis Dixon over Carl Nicks. They could have easily fixed the biggest hole in the o-line.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-17-2008, 10:27 AM
I'm still unhappy about drafting 3rd string QB Dennis Dixon over Carl Nicks. They could have easily fixed the biggest hole in the o-line.

Yeah, I would have rather had Nicks myself, but looking at him play for the Saints, I think he might have been a bit too heavy to play RT. If he shed a few LB's, then he might be able to handle the quicker outside rushers, but at the worst he could play either guard position.

He just mauls some of the opposing DT's that I have seen in games.

Steeldude
10-28-2008, 08:24 AM
on a different note...

why was the member elvis banned?

steelwall
10-28-2008, 11:02 AM
hey I didnt even vote, and it wont let me, although Im pretty much in agreement with the majority.

KeiselPower99
10-28-2008, 02:59 PM
I have a vote for Mendenhall.

Steeldude
10-29-2008, 09:56 AM
mendenhall is my least favorite.

SteelMember
10-29-2008, 02:32 PM
on a different note...

why was the member elvis banned?

He didn't like Mendenhall.:laughing:

Seriously though, I think he got 30 days for the frustration he was feeling after the philly loss. :noidea:

Havik
11-02-2008, 12:08 AM
I think Mendenhall will be a bust. I would have rather seen the Steelers get someone like Philip Merling who would have filled a need and has played well so far. Sweed had a few catches last week and could eventually be a starter, so I think he was a good pick. I didn't like the Bruce Davis pick, but on this team LB depth is never a bad thing. Tony Hills is talented, but at this point should be our starting RT because Willie Colon is possibly the worst RT I have ever seen. Either the coaching staff is on crack, or Hills is a bust too. The Dennis Dixon pick was idiotic. Humpal and Mundy have been cut. So really all the Steelers have gotten out of the 2008 draft was a tall receiver with good potential and a backup OLB.

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-04-2008, 08:37 AM
Humpal and Mundy have been cut. So really all the Steelers have gotten out of the 2008 draft was a tall receiver with good potential and a backup OLB.

Mike Humpal wasn't cut...he is on injured/reserve.

Havik
11-09-2008, 07:01 PM
Mike Humpal wasn't cut...he is on injured/reserve.

I found that out the other day, my bad.