PDA

View Full Version : Polamalu's good deed may avoid jinx

BlitzburghRockCity
11-10-2005, 02:01 AM
Good deed could help Polamalu avert SI cover jinx

By Joe Bendel
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, November 10, 2005

Steelers strong safety Troy Polamalu graces the cover of Sports Illustrated this week with the headline, "Crunch Time ... NFL Midseason Report." He is also the focus of an article entitled "Mane Man."
This could be dangerous territory for Polamalu. The dreaded SI cover jinx looms over those who make their way onto the magazine's cover.

But Polamalu might have good karma surrounding him for two reasons: He performed a kind deed yesterday; and he's never heard of the SI cover jinx.

"Thanks for telling me about it, though," he said.

As for the good deed, Polamalu surprised cornerback Bryant McFadden by giving the rookie cornerback the ball Polamalu had originally kept for himself after returning a touchdown 77 yards for a touchdown Sunday against the Green Bay Packers.

McFadden set up Polamalu's touchdown by hitting Packers quarterback Brett Favre on a blitz and forcing a fumble, then laying the key block downfield that sprung Polamalu for the score.

McFadden, typically a big talker, was speechless when Polamalu greeted him with the gift yesterday morning.

"That was a shocker," McFadden said. "I didn't expect him to do that, and I'm going to get it painted and put the date of the game and what happened. I'll try to set up some memorabilia for the future. I appreciate what he did."

In 2002, Alexander Wolff researched the "jinx" and found that a player's or team's performance dipped 37.2 percent of the time after gracing the SI cover.

Polamalu, though, did not seem daunted.

"I don't think it matters to anybody who reads those things," he said.

Prosdo
11-10-2005, 02:33 AM
Great of Troy to give McFadden the ball. For a rookie that has to be a thrill for him. Props to Troy for that.

steelersgirl86
11-10-2005, 07:28 AM
Wow, way to go troy that is awesome..

soniczilla
11-10-2005, 07:40 AM
Troy definitely is a nice guy. I hope McFadden picks up on Troy's generosity and drops that reputation of being a loudmouth.

Atlanta Dan
11-10-2005, 07:59 AM
Here is Troy's reaction in the P-G to being on the cover of SI

"Safety Troy Polamalu said being on the cover of Sports Illustrated this week means little to him. 'No, I have a lot of pictures at home.'"

Troy is the anti-T.O.

clevestinks
11-10-2005, 08:45 AM
Troy does seem to be a class act, and maybe this will teach Mcfadden a thing or two, but I like loud mouth db`s, get the wr all flustered. McFadden keep talkin, just back it up.

Tim
11-10-2005, 08:56 AM
That's a leader inspiring his squad. You can bet that when Troy's out there calling plays and making decisions for the secondary that McFadden won't second guess him. (not that he had before, but it's important to reinforce these things from time to time).

While it IS nice, it's also a smart thing to do.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
11-10-2005, 10:20 AM
I think McFadden is gonna be a big time player
Ide like to see him in the game more often

BB2W
11-10-2005, 12:21 PM
Wow, what a nice gesture by Troy... he is one of the few "good guys" left in the NFL.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-10-2005, 01:33 PM
If you can back up your loud mouth trash talking personality on the field with your play making ability..go for it !! But if you cant, then humble yourself till you do.

SteelR1
11-10-2005, 02:15 PM
Nice Job Troy,,,

pitt
11-10-2005, 02:33 PM
That was a great thing Troy did.

Koopa
11-10-2005, 11:03 PM
well mcfadden did deserve that ball, so troy is a good person for realizing that and giving mcfadden what he earned. and someone said he hoped he dropped his rep as a loudmouth, the hell with that, i like when dbs talk a lot. it gets into the heads of the wrs.

mcfadden is going to be something special. next year qbs better not throw his way or it'll end up in his hands. and some might say he didn't get a lot of ints in college, but every scout report i read said they didn't throw his way a lot.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-10-2005, 11:44 PM
McFadden and Taylor are the future.. Coc, Im still not quite sold on yet , but he showed potential before his injury.

I really really hope we can keep Chris around after this season.. Troy likes working w/ him and they make a great team back there.

Koopa
11-11-2005, 12:03 AM
yeah i hope chris stays too. i still don't get why he got so much hate though. i thought he did good in his role, sure he ain't a ballhawking saftey but he plays his role good imo.

ricardo was playing good before he got hurt now it seems like he's playing not to get hurt again and that ain't a good way to play.

rgleason
11-11-2005, 01:12 AM
No doubt McFadden has pro bowl chops. He needs a year to develop, much like Troy needed. But even so, McFadden is helping RIGHT NOW, and he's going to have to keep contributing for this season. That play on Sunday was huge, props to him for the hit and props to Troy for the heads up pick up and scamper. Also, McFadden quickly got up and gave a block that assured the touchdown.

Great to see Troy on the cover. Class act off the field, and a pro bowler for years to come.

steelers fans=morons
11-12-2005, 08:37 PM
Wow what a great thing troy did, are you guys a bunch of 12 year old girls?
He will get hurt, we will beat you tomorrow night, the bengals will win the division, and you will miss out on the wild card and be watching the playoffs this year. Deal with this news what ever way you want, most of you will follow this post with a load of mindless garble, so go ahead and make yourself look like a fool.

Suitanim
11-12-2005, 09:12 PM
Wow what a great thing troy did, are you guys a bunch of 12 year old girls?
He will get hurt, we will beat you tomorrow night, the bengals will win the division, and you will miss out on the wild card and be watching the playoffs this year. Deal with this news what ever way you want, most of you will follow this post with a load of mindless garble, so go ahead and make yourself look like a fool.

You are gay, and love Ben Roethlisberger.

I.C. Lights
11-12-2005, 09:35 PM
He will get hurt, we will beat you tomorrow night, the bengals will win the division, and you will miss out on the wild card and be watching the playoffs this year ... so go ahead and make yourself look like a fool.

God, the irony...