PDA

View Full Version : Your Take on The AFC North in '08?

Elvis
05-10-2008, 07:06 PM
I would like to start us off looking at the basement landers of a year ago... The Mighty Baltimore Ravens

Draft Picks of Note:
QB Joe Flacco Will the young man be the starter by the end of september or sooner? Big arm and good size.. I guess we will see if the competition makes a difference.
RB Ray Rice I honestly think that this young man is used up pretty much. He had huge numbers in attempts in college and that could take a tole on his pro career. I really think that he might struggle because of the size ratio that he carries and the style the Ravens offense plays.
LB Tavares Gooden This is gonna be their best choice in my opinion. The guy coming from the U has all the speed in the world for a LB and he will be tutored by one of the best in the business in Ray Lewis. This guy just makes tackles and the Ravens are gonna love this guy.
S Tom Zbrikowski Will be a nice addition to their secondary and could be a nice partner to FS Ed Reed
OT Oniel Cousins According to some mock drafts could have been drafted in the early to mid 2nd. He could be a bargain in the 4th I think.

I just wonder how long it is going to take Boler to lose his job? Lets hear what ya'll think about the Ravens and be professional about it
:coffee:

TackleMeBen
05-10-2008, 07:13 PM
baltimore has troy smith too. so they seem pretty set at qb now with flaco too.

however i think the bengals will be the bottom this year with everything that has happen to that team.

Elvis
05-10-2008, 07:34 PM
Good point TMB.. Troy Smith could very well be the starter there as well.
:hatsoff:

millwalldavey
05-10-2008, 07:39 PM
Good point TMB.. Troy Smith could very well be the starter there as well.
:hatsoff:

How good do you think Troy Smith can be?

Elvis
05-10-2008, 07:44 PM
Now lets look at the Cincinnati Bengals:

Draft Picks to Mention
LB Keith Rivers Has got all the talent you look for in a backer, but will the Bengals ruin another good talent? This guy is a monster if they can get him to play 110% every play.
WR Jerome SImpson Guy makes great plays and is coming into a good situation where he might get a chance to play early on.
DT Pat Sims Is a big lineman that the Bengals got lucky to get in the 3rd round. This guy is very good against the run.
WR Andre Caldwell Just another Florida Gator reciever?
OT Anthony Collins Good depth pick for the Bengals

I think that the Bengals biggest moves were in the free agency period with the additions of WR Maurice Purify from Nebraska and Doug Gabriel from the Raiders, this guy has potential if he will just live it out. Also WR Mario Urratia is a very nice talent as a free agent signee.
These Bengals could be very potent on offense, but their defense has alot of work to do to get back to the play-offs I believe, but OLB Keith Rivers is a nice start along with DB Leon Hall from last years draft. And like it or not, T.J. and C.J. are a very tough matchup for anyone on offense.

Elvis
05-10-2008, 07:46 PM
How good do you think Troy Smith can be?
Smith is really a nice athelete that can get out of the pocket and make plays. The guy played in big games at Ohio State as well. The Ravens would be smart to play whoever at QB with a nice stout defense and a good running game. The Ravens are still pretty good on defense and with the best FS in the business they can still play..
:tt02:

revefsreleets
05-10-2008, 08:00 PM
1. Steelers
2. Browns

3. (That space was intentional, as the drop-off is steep) Rats
4. Bungs

The Duke
05-10-2008, 08:35 PM
ravens with a solid QB can be an 8-8 team. and I think flacco may be that. he's obviously not ready to start week 1, but say by week 8 he could be starting and the ravens won't be a soft team.

their D is very good, it was too injured last year, their offense is not that bad, there are worse offenses right now. I think flacco might be the savior of that franchise.

something derrick mason said made think this....

Ravens WR Derrick Mason came away impressed with rookie QB Joe Flacco after this week's practice.
"The one pass he threw to Mark [Clayton], I think it was 50 yards down the field in the air, and he put it on target. The way he commanded the huddle, I think that speaks volumes about him. He’s a big guy, he can throw the ball and he can put it on target."

just saying...watch out for the ratbirds, they could surprise. or at least dont overlook them

1. Steelers
2. Browns

4. Bungs

yeah, seems about right

St33lersguy
05-10-2008, 08:38 PM
With Joe Flacco and Troy Smith, Boller is bound to lose the starting job in September. There is a good possibility that Boller isn't even the starter on opening day (especially with a poor showing in the offseason).

Rhee Rhee
05-10-2008, 10:09 PM
hmm im pretty worried about cleveland and absolutely LOVE their pick of beau bell.

as much as i love troy smith i will conclude that joe flacco will be the starter by midseason or maybe even the beggining of the season...

the bengals i am also worried about just not nearly as much as the other two... the bengals still have carson palmer, chad johnson and TJ and have a young defense that needs to fill some holes... their offense should lead them to a few wins... (don't count out rudi johnson just yet)

1. Browns
2. Steelers
3. Ravens
4. Bengals

I personally think the AFC north is the toughest division in football and we should make the playoffs as the 6 or 5 seed..

cubanstogie
05-10-2008, 11:02 PM
Steelers
Bengals
Browns
Ravens

I see the Browns dropping off big time. Yes they had a decent year last year but I think they shot their wad. Derek Anderson showed his true colors when he needed to win big games. There will be a QB controversy when the Browns start to fold and Quinn will step in and falter as well. Ravens have an old D and have QB issues, I think that leaves Cincy behind us. I know Cincy has disgruntled felons but I have a hunch they will be improved.
I know most non Steeler fans would call us homers for all thinking Steelers will win division, but we have improved immensely in my opinion. My only concern is our D-line and secondary. Can Troy get back to his old self I am doubtful considering he is presently injured. I think Timmons and Woodley will both be solid. Our D was pretty bad when Aaron Smith went down. We need some youngsters to step it up on D-line and secondary or we will be in a lot of shootouts. I think we will be a very high scoring team next year.

Texasteel
05-11-2008, 07:14 AM
1. Steelers
2. Browns

4. Bungs

I've got to agree. Balt. and Cinny look to be in some real trouble, and the Browns may be a bit better than last year.

Elvis
05-11-2008, 07:23 AM
Steelers 10-6
Ravens 8-8
Browns 7-9
Bengals 5-11
I think that the Steelers off. line is going to be bettter with the addition of Hartwig at center. If he had been here last year, this could have been a very deep run into the play-offs. But we will just have to wait n see wont we?..

Galax Steeler
05-11-2008, 07:24 AM
steelers
brownies
bungholes
ratbirds
this is the way it should pan out.

LambertIsGod58
05-11-2008, 08:17 AM
1. Steelers
2. Browns

4. Bungs

I'd like to finish 1st in the division this year....but with our schedule, it doesn't look goo at this point. It is too early, but that's my two cents.

Elvis
05-11-2008, 08:58 AM
:coffee: Now for the Browns

Draft Notables:
OLB Beau Bell This guy sounds like a bull. He makes tackles all over the place and only injuries held this guy back in college, if he can stay healthy he will be a nice player for the Browns and he has great size as well as decent speed for a LB
TE Martin Rucker This guy is a reciever in a TE's body. He fits the Browns usual TE prospects in that he just doesnt block.
WR Paul Hubbard Has great size but not much production in the college game.
OLB/DE Alex Hall Could suprise and be with this team for a while.

With the Browns signings of QB Anderson and RB Jamal Lewis the Browns kept the core of their much improved offense, and now the defense must step up and make some noise as well. Thats why they traded for DT Shaun Rogers and Cory Williams to help out on the Dline. They also signed the much underused WR Donte Stallworth from the Patriots to help out Braylon Edwards and K2. This could be a Hit or Miss season for the Browns who have the offensive talent to be really good, but their defense must prove that they can stop someone..

TackleMeBen
05-11-2008, 06:09 PM
hmm im pretty worried about cleveland and absolutely LOVE their pick of beau bell.

as much as i love troy smith i will conclude that joe flacco will be the starter by midseason or maybe even the beggining of the season...

the bengals i am also worried about just not nearly as much as the other two... the bengals still have carson palmer, chad johnson and TJ and have a young defense that needs to fill some holes... their offense should lead them to a few wins... (don't count out rudi johnson just yet)

1. Browns
2. Steelers
3. Ravens
4. Bengals

I personally think the AFC north is the toughest division in football and we should make the playoffs as the 6 or 5 seed..

you are joking right? the bengals are the last team we need to worry about. they will self destruct. ocho cinco will not play this season b/c he didnt get his trade. i think he is hard-headed enough to do that. and palmer is a good qb, but he cant do it by himself.

the only team in the AFC north i would be worried about is the browns.

millwalldavey
05-11-2008, 06:20 PM
Smith is really a nice athelete that can get out of the pocket and make plays. The guy played in big games at Ohio State as well. The Ravens would be smart to play whoever at QB with a nice stout defense and a good running game. The Ravens are still pretty good on defense and with the best FS in the business they can still play..

I've been concerned with a lot of the discounting of Baltimore I have been seeing of late... I think they may finish better than Cleveland.

TackleMeBen
05-11-2008, 06:46 PM
i think the one thing that is going to hurt baltimore is not having a qb. boller wont be there for long and smith and flacco will be the future. but for now i dont think they are ready.

CantStop85
05-11-2008, 07:18 PM
With the amount of parity in the NFL, I would be worried about every team in the division.

The Duke
05-11-2008, 07:38 PM
With the amount of parity in the NFL, I would be worried about every team in the division.

true

except for the bengals of course :flap:

BettisFan
05-11-2008, 09:07 PM
The Steelers and browns will be the only ones over .500

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
05-11-2008, 10:36 PM
Steelers 11 - 5
Browns 9- 7
Ravens 6-10
Bengals 5 - 11

Galax Steeler
05-12-2008, 06:57 AM
true

except for the bengals of course :flap:

:toofunny::toofunny:

lilyoder6
05-12-2008, 11:01 AM
here is my prediction

steelers w/ 10+ wins they won it last yr and deserve to be up there and i liked there draft to help out the off

browns w/ 8+ wins did do a good job and going out to help the team getting 2 fat asses to help stop the run and stallworth to play opp of edwards

ravens will have a hard yr w/ not having a secure qb to lead the team.. i bet we will see all 3 qb's start this yr and that will mess up there season and ray ray will have to make a choice of 2 stay or leave and go to a SB contender team

bengals will have no off since henry is gone and cj will sit out.. evry team will double TJ. and they have no other weps on off.. rudi is too old.. then TJ has to make a decision whether to stay w/ the bungles or leave. and the def is ok but still won't make a diff

j-dawg
05-12-2008, 11:32 AM
I think the Steelers have another playoff team this year, the question is will they be on top the division.

I don't think it's any stretch to think the Browns could win 10+ games this year. If the D can contribute, the W column will outweigh the L.

The Bengals should have a decent season if Chad gets into camp and none of the other players commit felonies. They could very well be in the playoff hunt by seasons end.

The Ravens are going to have a rough year. Their window closed after that great season two years ago, I'll be surprised if they break .500 this year.

Elvis
05-12-2008, 12:04 PM
Good to see ya around jdawg.. I cant honsetly see how the Browns are gonna do any better against our schedule than the steelers are . We have the same practical schedule... and we finished ahead of the Browns because of our 2 wins vs them. I see both of our teams being around the same record, but the difference might be the games that we both should win.. will we win or not?.. We lost a couple games last year that there was no reason why the steelers should have lost and I am sure you feel the same way dawg.. good luck to you guys..
GO STEELERS!!

Elvis
05-12-2008, 12:35 PM
:applaudit: Now for our Pittsburgh Steelers

Draft Notables:
RB Rashard Mendenhall
I just love the fact that the steelers didnt reach for an OT here like some teams did. I think that Mendenhall will prove to be a nice addition to our backfield with Willie getting some time on the sideline and not having to carry the ball 25 or 30 times a game. If Mendenhall can get 10-15 carries a game we could be looking at 2 1,000 yard rushers in the steele town.
WR Limas Sweed
This guy I hope will be our next "Better than Plexiglass". This guy has all the tools the steelers need to finish off a great recieving corp. He can be our endzone guy that we have been lacking... what?.. I thought Heath Miller does a pretty good job if Ben would just look for him more. But Limas should help out a whole lot over the middle and down the field.
OLB Bruce Davis
At first, I didnt really like this pick. But the more I see him on youtube and hear what the coaches are saying about him, it sounds like he is gonna be a nice addition to our LBing corp as well as special teams. The guy is very quick on his feet and gets after the ball where ever it might be on the field.
OT Tony Hills
Dont know alot about this guy, but everyone seems to think that he could stick on our roster for a while.
QB Dennis Dixon
It is very easy to question this pick, but I love the way this guy runs around and makes plays on the run.. kind of sounds familiar huh?... This young man will not have to play for a while and he will be a good practice guy against some of the other atheletic QB's we might face.

I think that I am willing to say that the steelers might suprise some teams this upcoming season. Now, I know that we have a tough schedule coming up and we are gonna have to play alot better than we did last season. But, I also think that our players will be better this year with the experience they gained. Especially S Anthony Smith and LB Lamar Woodley on defense and WR Santonio Holmes and OL Willie Colon and Chris Keomateau. I think these off. linemen will be more adjusted if the steelers coaches will put them in a position and let them stay there. I dont see how you can keep moving linemen around and can honestly think that they are gonna gel together.
Rashard is gonna help Willie keeping him fresher late in the games and you dont have to worry about Rashard not being able to block for Ben on 3rd downs, so that means he can be used all 3 downs if need be. I look for a lot of 3 WR sets this upcoming season myself, because we have 3 very talented recievers on our team that needs to be used.
I also would like to see us use Dan Kreider back at FB but it doesnt look like the steelers are even gonna resign him.
:helmet:

steelymcmatt
05-12-2008, 12:57 PM
here is my prediction

steelers w/ 10+ wins they won it last yr and deserve to be up there and i liked there draft to help out the off

browns w/ 8+ wins did do a good job and going out to help the team getting 2 fat asses to help stop the run and stallworth to play opp of edwards

ravens will have a hard yr w/ not having a secure qb to lead the team.. i bet we will see all 3 qb's start this yr and that will mess up there season and ray ray will have to make a choice of 2 stay or leave and go to a SB contender team

bengals will have no off since henry is gone and cj will sit out.. evry team will double TJ. and they have no other weps on off.. rudi is too old.. then TJ has to make a decision whether to stay w/ the bungles or leave. and the def is ok but still won't make a diff

:tt:I believe the Steelers will win the division with 9-10 wins. I really like what we did with our offense between shoring up the o-line, adding a solid complement to Willie and getting another downfield threat. We're going to be okay defensively as long as we don't get hit with all the injuries we did last year.:tt:

I see our biggest competition this year as the ratbirds. This was a team that was picked by many as one of the top teams in the division a year ago but was DECIMATED by injuries. I think Flacco wins the starting job in training camp and does a solid job of managing the offense. Ray and Suggs know they are playing for contracts so they're both going balls out all year....one will be back next season, the other won't. I predict a split with them this year.

Everytime I hear someone talk about the Browns I think back to a year ago and all the buzz around the Jets. Are they on the right track? sure! but I think some of their success had to do with a weak schedule, and I wont be suprised at all to see them struggle the way the Jets did this year. BTW, I'm not convinced we won't see Brady as the starting QB by the end of the year. I think we split our two with them as well.

I'm not sure our beloved Bungles are ever going to see the light of day under Marvin. Chad will play this year, but he's going to be a pain in the arse while doing it. TJ is going to be equally unhappy since he's not getting the contract he wants, which leaves Carson to wonder what karma god he pissed off! We'll beat them both times we face them this year!

revefsreleets
05-12-2008, 01:14 PM
I'm not sure why everyone is bashing the Browns. They did nothing to hurt themselves offensively, and they will have a real QB battle in camp that will only make that side of the ball better...they will be solid if not spectacular on offense.

But the biggest difference will be defensively. By adding 2 DL who actually know how to play football, they will actually be able to execute the 3-4. They upgraded at LB, and, the truth is, without adequate DL last year, it's hard to actually know how good their LB corps really is. We know Wimbley is a stud, and I expect him to have a monstrous year. They lack depth in the secondary, but they should be able to compensate with increased pressure on the QB, and they will definitely be much upgraded against the run. They lost a bunch of games last year because their defense blew, and I suspect the gains they made defensively will make them good enough to compete with any team in the NFL week in and week out.

j-dawg
05-12-2008, 01:46 PM
Good to see ya around jdawg.. I cant honsetly see how the Browns are gonna do any better against our schedule than the steelers are . We have the same practical schedule... and we finished ahead of the Browns because of our 2 wins vs them. I see both of our teams being around the same record, but the difference might be the games that we both should win.. will we win or not?.. We lost a couple games last year that there was no reason why the steelers should have lost and I am sure you feel the same way dawg.. good luck to you guys..[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]GO STEELERS!!

that's a good question... which was the roughest for you steeler fans last year?

I would guess either your OT loss to the Jets or maybe the loss to the same team mine was.... the Cardinals.

fansince'76
05-12-2008, 01:47 PM
that's a good question... which was the roughest for you steeler fans last year?

I would guess either your OT loss to the Jets or maybe the loss to the same team mine was.... the Cardinals.

Based on the reaction around here? Jets by a LONG shot. :chuckle:

RoethlisBURGHer
05-12-2008, 04:20 PM
Ravens

They already have a QB contreversy brewing since there is a chance Flacco can beat out Kyle Boller and Troy Smith out of camp for the starting QB spot. If so, they won't bench him if he plays poorly. This offense is going to be on the shoulders of Willis McGahee, but if none of the QB's step up and make themselves a somewhat feared commodity, then McGahee will be the entire offense.

And as for the defense, I like the addition of the ILB they took in the draft, he's the heir to Ray Lewis. However, that defense still looks kind of old to me. The brightest spots on that defense are Ngata, Reed, and Landry. The defense isn't going to be good enough to win games while the offense sputters like Ravens defenses of old could.

I see them duking it out with the Bengals for last place.

Bengals

Carson Palmer is an excellent QB. TJ is a very good receiver, as was Chris Henry. But now Henry is gone and Chad's threatening to sit out all season if he doesn't get traded...and he's dense enough to actually do it. They can't rely on an aging Rudi Johnson to carry the offense when TJ is double teamed and there is nobody else available for Palmer to throw to.

The defense still isn't going to be very good. Keith Rivers is a good addition and is a day one starter. Pat Simms is going to be in the rotation. Leon Hall is probally going to be their best defender (not a knock on him, he's very good and can help stuff the run). But I don't see this defense dominating and if the offense stumbles the defense isn't going to keep them in games.

Browns

The Browns window to win the division and get to/win a Super Bowl opened last year and isn't open for long. The Browns kinda mortgaged their future with some offseason pickups of Corey Williams, Shaun Rogers, and Donte Stallworth.

Williams- Good pickup, can play DE and DT. Very good motor. Will help the defense. He can clog up the middle.

Rogers- Has issues. Took plays off in Detroit, weight issues, has been a bit of a locker room cancer at times. If he stays focused and doesn't have weight issued he could be an excellent pickup. If he takes plays off and does what he did in Detroit, he'll be a huge headache for the Browns.

Stallworth- Has shown that he's got speed and very good hands...but he has also had injury problems with his hamstrings. He could be a great compliment to Braylon Edwards and Kellen Winslow if he can stay healthy.

My biggest problem with the offense is Derick Anderson. I don't think he should have been in the Pro Bowl last year (any QB that throws 19 INT's in a season doesn't deserve the Pro Bowl). He had his worst game against the worst defense at Cinci last year in a game the Browns needed to win.

If Anderson stumbles, the Browns fans will want Quinn in. Quinn is unproven like Anderson was last year, he's not gauranteed to step in and right the ship if it starts going wrong. Some fans want Quinn to win the starting job in training camp. Even though Phil Savage says there is no QB contreversy in Cleveland, there is a bit of one. Most of the fans want Brady Quinn to start, and if Anderson has a bad showing in the preseason that pressure will be only intensified.

Otherwise, I like the Browns offense. Excellent receiving corps (Edwards, Winslow, Stallworth, Jurevicius). Very good offensive line that will protect the QB and give Jamal Lewis holes to run through.

The defense could be improved with the two defensive additions mentioned above, the could be the same, or they could be worse. Their new weakness is the secondary with the trade of CB Leigh Bodden someone has to step up between Brandon McDonald and Daven Holly.

Steelers

The offense could become unstopable this year. Ben Roethlisberger should break his own record for TD passes in a season (32), which he just set last year. With the addition of Rashard Mendenhall to help spell Parker and pound defenses...and the addition of Limas Sweed to the receiving corps that already include Ward, Holmes, and Miller....this offense could set many Steelers records for offense.

Oh, and then there's the offensive line. Justin Hartwig will probally be the center, and he'd be a huge upgrade from Sean Mahan. Mahan will move to gaurd where he can either win a starting job or backup both gaurd and center. Smith is supposedly at 100% or near it, and if he plays as well as he did when he stepped in to start last year, I think we'll be good.

As for the defense, we didn't add much depth for the defensive line. So we need Aaron Smith to stay healthy this year. I like our LB corps, especially if Timmons beats out Foote for the starting ILB job alongside Farrior or at least gets in a heavy rotation amongst Foote and Farrior.

Ike Taylor is as close to being shut down at CB as you can get, but drops a lot of could be picks. As long as he keeps the offense's top WR from making plays, I can deal with the lack of picks. I hope that McFadden can get into a rotation with Townsend at the #2 corner spot. Townsend is servicable, but he's lost a step. McFadden supposedly wants a new contract, and to get one he needs to earn it...and he needs to earn it this year.

Troy Polamalu is still a top saftey, and as long as he stays healthy all year he'll stay there. I really like Clark playing alongside Troy, and I hope he'll be 100% for this season.

tony hipchest
05-12-2008, 04:47 PM

I would guess either your OT loss to the Jets or maybe the loss to the same team mine was.... the Cardinals.i agree. the jets. they freaking sucked and we shoulda mopped up the field with them. that loss was inexusable.

TackleMeBen
05-12-2008, 05:08 PM
i agree. the jets. they freaking sucked and we shoulda mopped up the field with them. that loss was inexusable.
my sister is a major jet fan. i didnt talk to her for a week because of that loss. :mad:

Dino 6 Rings
05-12-2008, 05:24 PM

Roughest loss is always the last Loss of the Season.

lilyoder6
05-12-2008, 07:22 PM
i think that pre-season will shine alot of light on the bengals and ravens to see where they are as a team

St33lersguy
05-21-2008, 05:53 PM
1.Browns
2.Steelers
3.Bungles
4.Ravens

The Browns Offense is there and they're also fixing their Defense while the D-line of the Steelers greatly concerns me. Don't forget that it helps the Browns that they will be playing mediocre teams like the Bills and Broncos while the Steelers have to deal with last year's two AFC Championship game participants. I am also predicting a battle for third. I am taking the Bungles I guess because they're younger. They are sure to pass the Ravens if Boller plays or if Smith or Flacco suck.

St33lersguy
05-21-2008, 06:07 PM
i agree. the jets. they freaking sucked and we shoulda mopped up the field with them. that loss was inexusable.

The only reason I could possibly imagine was after the 21-6 comeback over the Browns and playing that piece of crap football team the Steelers anticipated a victory. The Steelers appeared to have been sleepwalking through much of the game and most likely played like they already won the game. Had they focused on playing the game they most likely would have dominated. Still that loss discusted me and there is no excuse to lose to such a terrible football team. There is no excuse to sleepwalk during a football game no matter who you play.

steelwall
05-21-2008, 08:47 PM
Is it me...or am I the only one here not sold on the Browns yet (sorry Dawg) Anderson showed some good things last year but choked when it mattered most. Having said that, I still think they are the 2nd best team in the North. Our schedual could be an issue, and could catapult the browns to a couple more wins than us, but come playoff time, I expect this team (Steelers) not to loose in the fashion we did last year. I've said this here before, I appreciate Fanica's service, but I don't think it's the end of the world by far. Hartwig was a good sign.

But pure speculation at this point.... Lord preseason start... I'm ready to see Mendenhall in action against pro players.

lilyoder6
05-21-2008, 11:03 PM
1.Browns
2.Steelers
3.Bungles
4.Ravens

The Browns Offense is there and they're also fixing their Defense while the D-line of the Steelers greatly concerns me. Don't forget that it helps the Browns that they will be playing mediocre teams like the Bills and Broncos while the Steelers have to deal with last year's two AFC Championship game participants. I am also predicting a battle for third. I am taking the Bungles I guess because they're younger. They are sure to pass the Ravens if Boller plays or if Smith or Flacco suck.

the bills got a lot better last yr and in this yrs draft.. they will have a nice run.. and usually denver is good,, last yr was just akward season for them

devo_17
05-23-2008, 04:40 PM
I wont be scared of the Browns until they make the playoffs. Last year they showed they could make it but choked down the stretch. The Steelers beat them both times they played them last year and Im really not concerned with them. The teams that give the Steelers problems are going to be the teams that lineup and pop you right in the mouth alas the Jacksonville Jaguars. I think both of those games against the Jags is a wake up call. I havent seen a Steeler team get pushed around like that in years, but we still had a chance to come back and win that playoff game with a little better play calling. The additions of Mendenhall, Sweed and Davis are going to be huge this season. Willie gets more time off the field and we have a very capable backup when Willie does get wore down. Big Ben better not cry about a big receiver anymore b/c he's here and Sweed is faster than Plex is. And Davis is going to get PT like Woodley did last season. I cant wait to see this team hit the field for camp!! Go Steelers!!!

Elvis
05-23-2008, 05:55 PM
I just hate to look back and think that our steelers lost to the Jets and Cardnals.. that is atleast 2 games that the steelers should have definitely won..

HughC
06-10-2008, 01:10 PM
I think the Browns have big question marks at RB and in their defensive secondary. The Bengals are in a downward spiral and the Ravens are looking ahead to 2009 or 2010. To me it's very realistic to expect the Steelers to go 6-0 within the division.

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-10-2008, 02:30 PM
The Browns ranked #30 in total defense...#24 in pass defense...#27 in rush defense
They also were hampered by the fact that they were 3rd in total penalties and 5th in penalty yards.

As much as Derek Anderson is (over) hyped..he ranked a VERY poor #28 in pass completion percentage at 56.5%...his pass rating was #17 ... and there were only three other QB's who threw for more interceptions.

Last year was as much of a fluke for the Browns, as the Bengal season was in 2005-2006. A bad defense...below average QB...and poor discipline/penalties are not the hallmark of a team that is on the rise.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
06-10-2008, 02:39 PM
The Browns ranked #30 in total defense...#24 in pass defense...#27 in rush defense
They also were hampered by the fact that they were 3rd in total penalties and 5th in penalty yards.

As much as Derek Anderson is (over) hyped..he ranked a VERY poor #28 in pass completion percentage at 56.5%...his pass rating was #17 ... and there were only three other QB's who threw for more interceptions.

Last year was as much of a fluke for the Browns, as the Bengal season was in 2005-2006. A bad defense...below average QB...and poor discipline/penalties are not the hallmark of a team that is on the rise.

Uh...If DA doesn't payoff, theres a certain QB that me and my fellow Browns fans are waiting to start. You may have seen him in a Supercuts Ad. :flap:

We did upgrade our D with Rogers and Williams. Our D-line SUCKED last year, and because of that Wimbley disappeared. Should be fun as hell to see what he can do with a better D-line.

As far as the secoundary, we get one more guy for depth purposes and I think we're set.

And for our Offense, Our O-line is pretty awesome. Lindy's rated us as the best in the league, THATS HOW YOU BUILD A TEAM FOLKS! Hell, I'm more worried about our one of lineman getting hurt moreso than Lewis.

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-10-2008, 02:53 PM
Uh...If DA doesn't payoff, theres a certain QB that me and my fellow Browns fans are waiting to start. You may have seen him in a Supercuts Ad. :flap:

We did upgrade our D with Rogers and Williams. Our D-line SUCKED last year, and because of that Wimbley disappeared. Should be fun as hell to see what he can do with a better D-line.

As far as the secoundary, we get one more guy for depth purposes and I think we're set.

And for our Offense, Our O-line is pretty awesome. Lindy's rated us as the best in the league, THATS HOW YOU BUILD A TEAM FOLKS! Hell, I'm more worried about our one of lineman getting hurt moreso than Lewis.

I agree about your O-line...they are solid.

Rogers doesnt exactly fill me with dread..he tends to run out of gas pretty quick and can dissapear from games

Your secondary is gonna get beat up a little this year...but given a couple of years to season they could be above average.

If you are forced to go to Captain "Supercuts"...you can bet that things "done gone bad", which I think will be the case... I have never been a fan of Anderson and would personally like to see what Quinn can do for your team..

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
06-10-2008, 03:01 PM
I agree about your O-line...they are solid.

Rogers doesnt exactly fill me with dread..he tends to run out of gas pretty quick and can dissapear from games

Your secondary is gonna get beat up a little this year...but given a couple of years to season they could be above average.

If you are forced to go to Captain "Supercuts"...you can bet that things "done gone bad", which I think will be the case... I have never been a fan of Anderson and would personally like to see what Quinn can do for your team..

DA was a bit of a suprise being honest. Though a pleasant one. As much as I wanted Quinn to play, the idea that he could sit back and learn a little bit probably helped him. Not everyone can be Big Ben. :). I too think he's a one hit wonder (IE Tommy Maddox), but if he proves me wrong that again would be a pleasant suprise.

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-10-2008, 03:17 PM
DA was a bit of a suprise being honest. Though a pleasant one. As much as I wanted Quinn to play, the idea that he could sit back and learn a little bit probably helped him. Not everyone can be Big Ben. :). I too think he's a one hit wonder (IE Tommy Maddox), but if he proves me wrong that again would be a pleasant suprise.

I dont know...with the receivers you guys have...and the O-line that protects him...a QB should be completing more than 56.5% of his passes. You got to wonder what an elite QB could do.

The Duke
06-10-2008, 03:46 PM

he could also be worse than anderson

then it must be true:coffee: . SportingNews ranked the browns DEs(who have never played a game together) 3rd best in the AFC, I guess that's true too :yawn:

I dont know...with the receivers you guys have...and the O-line that protects him...a QB should be completing more than 56.5% of his passes. You got to wonder what an elite QB could do.

ben would be the best in the league. by far

but seriously, good luck to the browns, they will need it :chuckle:, and can't wait for a very competitive game in week 2

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
06-10-2008, 08:02 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=dVnJG7v98iE

..and before you say anything. Yes, I know Bernie sounds drunk, but his analysis is pretty dead on and some of the best I've heard out of a color commentator.

Not that is exactly the best to show as he's playing against third string talent. He has leadership qualities and is very smart. But not a rocket arm like DA has, would be awesome if we were able to combine the two.

We donno how he looks just yet, but word has it, according to those inside the Browns is that he blows DA outta the water. And with talent like Braylon, KWII, Stalworth, and now Martin Rucker and an awesome o-line, it would be mighty difficult to mess that all up., it would be fun to see what he'll do on a drive in an nfl game.

lilyoder6
06-10-2008, 08:10 PM
well the running game will need help b/c lewis won't be able to do it all by himself again.. like i stated b4 the browns will prob be in a lot of shoot-out games this upcoming season... and the ravens might be looking towards 09-10 season on off maybe.. but by that time there d will have lost half of it's "stars"

TrueSteelerForLife
06-11-2008, 09:28 AM
Just something i came across...

Ron(PA): Happy Birthday, M-Dub! I turned 33 yesterday myself. Does any QB in the NFL (Brady and Peyton included) have a more well-rounded arsenal of weapons than Big Ben in Pittsburgh right now, with Parker-Mendenhall-Moore, Ward-Holmes-Sweed-Washington, and Miller-Spaeth?

Matt Williamson: (12:03 PM ET ) Thanks! Much appreciated. PGH's arsenal is right at the top-no doubt in my mind. Indy's is more proven though and if Marvin comes back to 90% of what he has been-look out. I think these are the top 2. NE surely is in the conversation, but that is mostly because of Moss. I am not saying that Welker, Watson, Maroney and company are not a great group, but Moss makes that group go round.

Keith (Chicago): Happy Birthday MW! From a Browns fan (not that that matters), honestly assess the Steelers OLine. It was a weakness last year, and I don't see a "presumed" upgrade at center coming close to off-setting the loss of Faneca...

Matt Williamson: (12:09 PM ET ) As you probably know, I live here in PGH and have been asked about PGH's OL about 800 times. I do think it will be better for a few reasons and Tomlin said it well on Draft Day. He said something along the lines of how you can improve the blocking by either getting better blockers or getting more weapons. PGH got more weapons and should be able to attack a D any way they want. I certainly do not see a Pro Bowl player on that OL, but I do expect the 2nd year staff to better utilize what they have and Ben needs to realize that checking down to Heath Miller or Mewelde Moore could be a very profitiable decision. This O could be exceptional and most importantly, Ben is going getting better.

Larry (Pasco, WA): Matt, the AFC seems to be top heavy again. Can you list your top five AFC teams in terms of making the Superbowl?

Matt Williamson: (12:13 PM ET ) My AFC playoff predictions are SD, PGH, Indy, and NE as division winners and Jax and surprise, Den as the Wild Cards. Buff could push for that WC spot over Den as well. The AFC North has me confounded a bit and I am not at all ready to write off Cincy or Balt. Keep an eye on both teams. BUT, the AFC North plays the AFC South and NFC East-getting wins is going to be tough.

Eric (Sioux City): Will this be the best oline in 2 years? LT - LG - C - RG - RT Gaither Grubbs Brown Yanda Terry?

Matt Williamson: (12:38 PM ET ) I LOVE the interior nad think it is a hidden secret out there right now as to just how good the OC/OGs are for Baltimore. Still have serious questions at OT though and with all the TE injuries, I wonder how much double TE sets Balt will be able to play. I like Yanda, but he probably should be a guard. Gaither has a ton of upside, but a long way to go before he can handle Wimbley, Harrison, etc on an every week basis. Terry looks like an average player-either at RT or LT. So, to answer your question, Yes...and No.

Schmoo (Chicago): Matt, when talking about the AFC North, you did not mention the Browns, but said you were not ready to write off the Bengals or Ravens. Does this mean you think the Browns will finish last?

Matt Williamson: (12:40 PM ET ) No, I don't think that and am very impressed with their off season. I still have doubts though. They didn't face many injuries at all last year and I am not a believer in DA here at all. What if J Lewis gets hurt? How about the CBs? I just have more concerns than many others seem to. They do have the best OL in the NFL though and that goes a VERY long way. I just can't see two teams coming out of the AFC North.

Keith (Chicago): Holy %#$@, did you just say best OL in the entire NFL?

Matt Williamson: (12:54 PM ET ) Cleveland's? No doubt in my mind. Especially if Tucker is healthy. Just think if L Bentley ever comes back. J Thomas and Steinbach next to each other is really something. This team has 7 true starters along their OL. Most teams have about four.

j-dawg
06-11-2008, 10:25 AM
Just something i came across...

Matt Williamson: (12:09 PM ET ) As you probably know, I live here in PGH and have been asked about PGH's OL about 800 times. I do think it will be better for a few reasons and Tomlin said it well on Draft Day. He said something along the lines of how you can improve the blocking by either getting better blockers or getting more weapons. PGH got more weapons and should be able to attack a D any way they want. I certainly do not see a Pro Bowl player on that OL, but I do expect the 2nd year staff to better utilize what they have and Ben needs to realize that checking down to Heath Miller or Mewelde Moore could be a very profitiable decision. This O could be exceptional and most importantly, Ben is going getting better.

Matt Williamson: (12:40 PM ET ) No, I don't think that and am very impressed with their off season. I still have doubts though. They didn't face many injuries at all last year and I am not a believer in DA here at all. What if J Lewis gets hurt? How about the CBs? I just have more concerns than many others seem to. They do have the best OL in the NFL though and that goes a VERY long way. I just can't see two teams coming out of the AFC North.

:coffee:Ahhh... speculation is great before the season starts. He gives the best scenerio for the Steelers and the worst for the Browns.

Keith (Chicago): Holy %#$@, did you just say best OL in the entire NFL?

poor Bears fan... last time the Browns played 'em they scored two touchdowns, in under 60 seconds, towards the end of the game for a Win... with a horrible O-line and Trent Dilfer at QB :toofunny:

revefsreleets
06-11-2008, 10:31 AM
I concur that Cleveland OL may be the best in the business. I think Derek Anderson is the proof of that, as he's a pretty average QB, but with all day to throw and some nice weapons around him he looked like a Pro Bowler.

I still maintain that their defense will dramatically improve by adding a couple hogs up front. The 3-4 lives and dies on big fat DL's eating up blockers to free up LB's (although Buckeye Dan still doesn't understand this), and they'll have that this year. The secondary is a mess, though, so they are still gonna give up some points.

warddj86
06-11-2008, 03:58 PM
Steelers
Bengals
Browns
Ravens

I see the Browns dropping off big time. Yes they had a decent year last year but I think they shot their wad. Derek Anderson showed his true colors when he needed to win big games. There will be a QB controversy when the Browns start to fold and Quinn will step in and falter as well. Ravens have an old D and have QB issues, I think that leaves Cincy behind us. I know Cincy has disgruntled felons but I have a hunch they will be improved.
I know most non Steeler fans would call us homers for all thinking Steelers will win division, but we have improved immensely in my opinion. My only concern is our D-line and secondary. Can Troy get back to his old self I am doubtful considering he is presently injured. I think Timmons and Woodley will both be solid. Our D was pretty bad when Aaron Smith went down. We need some youngsters to step it up on D-line and secondary or we will be in a lot of shootouts. I think we will be a very high scoring team next year.

Agreed, but the Bengals still have to many holes, the Browns thing I agree with you on, they are a one-season wonder, Ravens, eh!

1 Steelers 11-5
2 Browns 9-7
3 Bengals 7-9
4 Ravens 6-10

Divisional Play

Browns 1, Bengals 1
Ravens 0, Bengals 2
Browns 1, Ravens 1
Steelers 2, Bengals 0
Steelers 1, Ravens 1 (We always seem to split with them for some reason)
Steelers 2, Browns 0 (11 Straight)

ChronoCross
06-12-2008, 03:34 PM
Only one team is coming out of the AFC North with the schedule everyone has and that winner will be 9-7 and the rest of the teams will be 8-8 and under. Steelers will win the divisions.

Ravens Will Fight with the Browns and Bengals for last place.

Ravens defense is no more, There QB choice between Flacco a rook to Troy smith a Shrimp will get them no were along with there defense dropping a notch each year. You can only live off the SB defense for so long.

Bengals in total disaster mod, and still have not fixed there defense. And there O Line has been damaged.

Browns, Anderson the 1 year wonder who reminds me of McNabb throwing over and under WRs and has to throw 50 times a game to complete passes. Along with having not one single good CB. Shaun Rogers was a garbage pickup and to let there best CB go for that was stupid. Rogers may play 10% of the game. If Bengals play hafe way decent they will finish above the Browns.

Steelers added more offense and if they put together that puzzle of a offensive line and cut at least 15 sacks off that total of last season and kill some of that pressure will walk thru the division like nothing to it. The defense is still top 5. Loosing Faneca does not hurt us one bit, what did he do for the team this last season nothing. Tomline can manage to fix the special teams also and Steelers will be in contention for a run at the SB. Barring any major injuries like last season, steelers would of made a nice push, but stuff happens.

Enjoy another Division win Steelers.

warddj86
06-12-2008, 11:14 PM
AS long AS we WIN the DIVISION, I really don't care how the order plays out