PDA

View Full Version : In Cat and Mouse Game, Patriots Are Central Players

Atlanta Dan
05-10-2008, 10:18 PM
Interesting article in The New York Times on how guess who is the source of most complaints to the NFL league office about electronic surveillance

The N.F.L. has embraced technological advances that have brought dizzying changes to coaching strategy in the past decade.

With the advances have come new temptations for coaches to gain an unfair advantage. Every Monday during the football season, the league says, it fields complaints from and about many teams.

If a persistent problem is identified, the league’s eight-member competition committee suggests changes to rules. In discussions of changes since 2000, one team, the New England Patriots, has surfaced more than any other, according to a longtime N.F.L. team executive with direct knowledge of the meetings....

Copies of the 2007 manual obtained by The Times show that many of the recent changes concern policies on the placement of cameras and microphones, among other tactics the Patriots have been accused of pressing to their advantage.

The N.F.L. team executive said the Patriots were the subject of most of the accusations discussed in the rules committee’s deliberations. The team’s recent success and tight-lipped approach, as personified by Belichick, has played a role.

“They were the only team, really,” the executive said. “Clearly, they were the team mentioned far more than anybody else.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/11/sports/football/11nfl.html

The Pats success this decade is as tainted as that of Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens

Preacher
05-10-2008, 10:38 PM
Interesting article in The New York Times on how guess who is the source of most complaints to the NFL league office about electronic surveillance

The N.F.L. has embraced technological advances that have brought dizzying changes to coaching strategy in the past decade.

With the advances have come new temptations for coaches to gain an unfair advantage. Every Monday during the football season, the league says, it fields complaints from and about many teams.

If a persistent problem is identified, the league’s eight-member competition committee suggests changes to rules. In discussions of changes since 2000, one team, the New England Patriots, has surfaced more than any other, according to a longtime N.F.L. team executive with direct knowledge of the meetings....

Copies of the 2007 manual obtained by The Times show that many of the recent changes concern policies on the placement of cameras and microphones, among other tactics the Patriots have been accused of pressing to their advantage.

The N.F.L. team executive said the Patriots were the subject of most of the accusations discussed in the rules committee’s deliberations. The team’s recent success and tight-lipped approach, as personified by Belichick, has played a role.

“They were the only team, really,” the executive said. “Clearly, they were the team mentioned far more than anybody else.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/11/sports/football/11nfl.html

The Pats success this decade is as tainted as that of Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens

Bonds, Clemens and the pats...

What a tangled web they weaved, when at first, they practiced to be stupid.

GBMelBlount
05-10-2008, 10:43 PM

The longer this plays out the more it is apparent this not an incident, but a long term pattern/MO.

fansince'76
05-10-2008, 10:47 PM
The longer this plays out the more it is apparent this not an incident, but a long term pattern/MO.

Well, why not, when the league office continues to let them get away with it?

The Jacksonville Jaguars lodged a complaint against the Patriots about the failure of a coach-to-quarterback radio system during a January 2006 playoff game, a former Jaguars executive said....The N.F.L. team executive said the rules committee had discussed that complaint in particular. Aiello said the league had found no violation....But in the league’s changes to its operations manual for 2007, it mandated that neutral operators, who have not previously worked that team’s home games, run the coach-to-quarterback radio systems, as well as game clocks, for playoff games.

The clock part is particularly ironic, considering all the bitching I've heard about the game clock during the SB from Pats* fans. The more that comes out, the more my contempt for that franchise grows. :mad:

Preacher
05-10-2008, 11:10 PM
Well, why not, when the league office continues to let them get away with it?

The clock part is particularly ironic, considering all the bitching I've heard about the game clock during the SB from Pats* fans. The more that comes out, the more my contempt for that franchise grows. :mad:

I just keep thinking about the movie Mooseport, Maine. Gene Hackman as the president... He just KNEW that the golf ball was going to bounce out... kinda like the fans of the Pats....

Wait for the bounce...wait for the bounce....

But the bounce doesn't come when you don't cheat!

tony hipchest
05-11-2008, 02:07 AM
The Pats success this decade is as tainted as that of Barry Bonds and Roger Clemensbut roger and barry are great. :rolleyes:

its only just that this stuff is all coming out in the past year, because it has been obvious (to the majority) that the patriots have lacked the skill, talent, and coaching to match their "success".

i only wish we had more patfans on this board to tell us how stupid and awful of a coach bill cowher was for all of his coaching decisions that led to the losses in the 01 and 04 afcc games. :rolleyes:

anyways theres no reason that "genius " label isnt replaced with "cheater".

and bill cowher is more of a hall of fame worthy coach than that pos. the past 3 years have proven belichick is more prone to "choking".

Aussie_steeler
05-11-2008, 05:10 AM
i only wish we had more patfans on this board to tell us how stupid and awful of a coach bill cowher was for all of his coaching decisions that led to the losses in the 01 and 04 afcc games. :rolleyes:

Tony, maybe we need a first class detective to help us find some patfans. They all seem to be missing or presumed lost.

Any ideas about detectives??? The only famous one I know is Sherlock Holmes.

Texasteel
05-11-2008, 06:24 AM

I don't know how you can call the Patys stupid. They traded $750,000 and a late 1st round pick for 4 Super Bowl Rings. That sound like a good deal to me.

HughC
05-11-2008, 11:46 AM
As much as I want Belichick to fry, that Times story is pretty lame. One unnamed source, a vague reference to the clock, and that's their "proof"? A very weak case in my opinion. Looks like something a Jet fan would write. I was expecting some solid statistics, cold hard facts, and multiple examples. As far as the headsets not working, as I recall it was the 49ers and Broncos who were notorious for that trick. They'd have their first fifteen plays scripted so having no headset was no problem for them, but it was for their opponent.

I prefer that we take the high road and simply circle November 30th on the calendar. Let the Pats and their fans sweat out Goodell's decision. Let them put their foot in their collective mouths by declaring "victory" if there is no further punishment even though their reputation has forever been tarnished. Revenge will be sweet.

millwalldavey
05-11-2008, 12:00 PM
I may get slammed, but its my opinion and I dont care... so here goes...

Notice a rise of the the success of the "Patriots" coinciding with "the war on terror"?

CONSPIRACY!!!!! LOL. But seriously... I think there may be something to it....

fansince'76
05-13-2008, 01:05 PM
Here's an interesting alternate take on the same article: :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:

I'm pretty tired of reading nameless 'executives' and 'league insiders' peddling all kinds of baseless accusations.

Of course its kind of open season after being found guilty of a pretty large misjudgement in terms of what they thought they could get away with.

Its a nice positive spin on an article that gives us an insight into the way the rest of the pre-season will go - empty rhetoric and plenty of what if's and conspiracies.

I am still bemused how people can attribute so much of the teams success to the stealing of signals when teams hire people to do just that - just typically using human memory rather than technology.

Its plain ol' jealousy - give's the fans of lesser teams something to soothe their discontent - and its these people who the media will continue to pander to.

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=152337#post152337

Still the same delusional, arrogant, RW&B Kool-Aid drinking, spotted dick-eating tool he's always been. Some things never change. The rest of the bandwagon bullshit spewed in that thread was pretty comical as well. :toofunny:

tony hipchest
05-13-2008, 01:21 PM
:rofl:

wow, one of the homers in that thread actually equated the patriots cheating to the innovation of the "no-huddle" offense. crazy and delusional.

I guess I don't understand why some edges are praised and others despised.

HometownGal
05-13-2008, 03:00 PM
Its plain ol' jealousy - give's the fans of lesser teams something to soothe their discontent - and its these people who the media will continue to pander to.

:rofl::rofl::laughing: Yep - you nailed it Niiiiiiiiiiigel. We're all jealous that the Steelers didn't cheat their way into winning their Lombardi trophies. :jerkit:

http://www.virginmedia.com/images/1toystory-431.jpg

fansince'76
05-13-2008, 03:04 PM

Of course that doesn't really explain why the same "media" had the Pats'* collective balls on its collective chin from about the time Randy Moss signed on until early this past February, does it?

Preacher
05-13-2008, 03:05 PM
:rofl::rofl::laughing: Yep - you nailed it Niiiiiiiiiiigel. We're all jealous that the Steelers didn't cheat their way into winning their Lombardi trophies. :jerkit:

http://www.virginmedia.com/images/1toystory-431.jpg

:toofunny:

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigel I love it!

Reminds me of that old commercial... "we earn money (Lombardi's) the old fashioned way, we earn them!"

BettisFan
05-13-2008, 03:19 PM
this is such bs, espn said no new punishments will be given since no new info was found, its bs i hate the pats

stillers4me
05-13-2008, 04:07 PM
Football fans all over America will not forget come next season.

And what fun we will have...........

Dino 6 Rings
05-13-2008, 04:10 PM
I don't know how you can call the Patys stupid. They traded $750,000 and a late 1st round pick for 4 Super Bowl Rings. That sound like a good deal to me.

4 Super Bowl Rings?

Have I been in a Comma? Crap! What's today's date!!!

MACH1
05-13-2008, 04:14 PM
I may get slammed, but its my opinion and I dont care... so here goes...

Notice a rise of the the success of the "Patriots" coinciding with "the war on terror"?

CONSPIRACY!!!!! LOL. But seriously... I think there may be something to it....

Its called cheating...:wink:

jjpro11
05-13-2008, 04:17 PM
Football fans all over America will not forget come next season.

And what fun we will have...........

nobody is ever going to forgive the pats for this, unlike what most on espn keeps preaching. they are always going to be labeled as cheaters coached by the shadiest man in the history of the nfl.

fansince'76
05-13-2008, 04:18 PM
nobody is ever going to forgive the pats for this, unlike what most on espn keeps preaching. they are always going to be labeled as cheaters coached by the shadiest man in the history of the nfl.

I just hope the HoF voters remember this entire episode when the names "Belichick" and "Brady" are kicked around as nominees for induction.

Dino 6 Rings
05-13-2008, 04:37 PM
I think the HOF voters may remember the fact that in the biggest game of their collective careers on the doorstep of history, they both fell flat on their face and choked on a GIANT Manning.

Preacher
05-13-2008, 04:38 PM
I just hope the HoF voters remember this entire episode when the names "Belichick" and "Brady" are kicked around as nominees for induction.

Nope. Both will be first ballot, because they will all be swept FAR under the rug by then.

Dino 6 Rings
05-13-2008, 04:40 PM
Nope. Both will be first ballot, because they will all be swept FAR under the rug by then.

I really am not sure about both of them. Especially BB, I mean, he did get fined and scolded for his taping. Tom may actually have a problem as a first rounder because the NY vote is so huge for the HOF and those guys hate anything not NY, but Boston most of all.

Texasteel
05-13-2008, 04:51 PM
4 Super Bowl Rings?

Have I been in a Comma? Crap! What's today's date!!!

Guess I just lost track. You would think the greatest football team in history would at least have 4, wouldn't you?

stillers4me
05-13-2008, 05:16 PM
Are you sure?????
After all.......the Steelers have 5 and the Pats* are The Greatest Team Ever. (patent pending).

Preacher
05-13-2008, 08:05 PM
Guess I just lost track. You would think the greatest football team in history would at least have 4, wouldn't you?

:sofunny:

4 in 6 probably...

oh... wait...