PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Seventh in Power Rankings

SteelersTilIDie
05-12-2008, 04:36 PM
I think they should be higher, but what do you guys think about the steelers being seventh?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/powerranking?season=2008&week=0

:tt::helmet::tt02::tt03:

millwalldavey
05-12-2008, 04:47 PM
After an 11-5 year... 1st rd ext... unproven O-Line... 7th is kinda nice.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
05-12-2008, 04:51 PM
i dont think the link takes us to the right page

RoethlisBURGHer
05-12-2008, 04:55 PM
After an 11-5 year... 1st rd ext... unproven O-Line... 7th is kinda nice.

Agreed.

At least the Browns aren't ahead of us like some people have put them.

Atlanta Dan
05-12-2008, 04:57 PM
With that schedule 7 is generous

Among the top ranked teams I also think the Colts are ranked too high. The Colts are aging and we all know what impact having a coach with one foot out the door can have on a team

Preacher
05-12-2008, 05:03 PM
Every team ranked higher than us has better than a fifty fifty chance of beaten us. every team ranked lower than us, we have better than a fifty fifty chance of beating them.

I think it is a perfect ranking for us.

I think the Giants are ranked to low. I think the chargers are ranked to high. I think the Colts are ranked maybe a spot or two to high, and the Patriots* are absolutely ranked too high. They LOST to the Giants, so they should be ranked lower. Jax should also be ranked lower than they are by a couple of spots.

stillers4me
05-12-2008, 05:16 PM
It means.....................................WE'RE BAAAAAAAAACK!!!!!!!! :tt02:

rich4eagle
05-12-2008, 05:22 PM
I think they should be higher, but what do you guys think about the steelers being seventh?

For me this is more hilloooeeye..............:tt::blah:

take your pick which hat fits

Dino 6 Rings
05-12-2008, 05:28 PM
Rankings...

the only Ranking that matters is the last one of the Season when we hoist up the trophy, get a Sixth Ring and are #1.

Hammer Of The GODS
05-12-2008, 06:20 PM
This sums up these so called "power rankings" for me.......

:jerkit:

GO BURGH!

PENS UP 2-0!

JanBr7
05-12-2008, 06:25 PM
Yeh, pretty much. Power rankings before the season even starts? Hogwash.

And they can put the Steelers even lower if they want as long as we are "top 12" (top 6 AFC) meaning we will be in the playoffs. Other than that it matters not at all. That doesn't even really matter, as it is all speculation basically based on last season. And do we remember who the pundits ranked as first in the AFC North before last season?

For the few who don't, it was the hapless Ravens.

TackleMeBen
05-12-2008, 06:40 PM
its the off season and these writers have nothing better to do.

tony hipchest
05-12-2008, 07:14 PM
its the off season and these writers have nothing better to do.and we have nothing better to do than read them and comment :hunch:

BettisFan
05-12-2008, 07:18 PM
7th is good we will prove them all wrong when we win it all

Rhee Rhee
05-13-2008, 02:04 AM

i dont think the analysts take into account the schedule, rather they concern themselves with the players we drafted and the players currently on our roster...

changAlang24
05-13-2008, 02:41 AM
i dont think the analysts take into account the schedule, rather they concern themselves with the players we drafted and the players currently on our roster...

Hopefully these players can live up to a #7 team and be above 500 with our schedule.

Galax Steeler
05-13-2008, 04:30 AM
7th is about right but we will prove them all wrong when the season starts.

Elvis
05-13-2008, 09:02 AM
Mayb I am wrong, but with our schedule ahead of us in '08 I really dont see us being ranked that high at the end of the year. But if we can get in the play-offs I think that we can go a long way because we pretty much would have played play-off games all year long pretty much.
:tt02:

Steeldude
05-13-2008, 09:31 AM

sounds about right to me. aging D-line without any solid backups(except perhaps hoke). the O-line is untested. is it the same as last year? is smith healthy enough to play? is the player taking faneca's spot going to be an even trade or a huge downfall? are the special teams the same as last year?

The_WARDen
05-13-2008, 09:42 AM

YEAH! Someone likes us! We are good now!!

:tt03:

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-13-2008, 09:53 AM
sounds about right to me. aging D-line without any solid backups(except perhaps hoke). the O-line is untested. is it the same as last year? is smith healthy enough to play? is the player taking faneca's spot going to be an even trade or a huge downfall? are the special teams the same as last year?

good points....
1) I think if the Hartwig pans out and we can get even average play from the new LG, it will be an upgrade over Faneca having to play LG and cover center last year

2) I am watching McBean and the McFarland situation in regards to our D-line...the development of the first and signing of the second, may give us the depth we need to suppliment the play of our starters.

3) I think the last two picks of the draft and alot of the UDFA signings were, (for once) aimed in the right direction by not looking for the Boom or Bust players, but rather special team and developmental players.

fansince'76
05-13-2008, 09:57 AM
The Pats* were #1 in pretty much every power ranking since last April all the way through early February. What did it get them? I just hope it doesn't screw up our bid for a BCS bowl game. :coffee:

TackleMeBen
05-13-2008, 10:03 AM
The Pats* were #1 in pretty much every power ranking since last April all the way through early February. What did it get them? I just hope it doesn't screw up our bid for a BCS bowl game. :coffee:

:toofunny::toofunny:

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-13-2008, 11:16 AM

We could so take the Big Ten this year!!!!:tt03::tt03:

BettisFan
05-13-2008, 11:18 AM
if anything giants should be in top 3 it makes no sence they won it all and against the patriots!

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-13-2008, 11:25 AM
if anything giants should be in top 3 it makes no sence they won it all and against the patriots!

Especially with the Patriots* not strengthening any position (other than possibly at LB with the draft pick) ...yet having obvious weaker postiions this year

paw-n-maul-u
05-13-2008, 12:43 PM
Get used to it guys ... has anyone seen the powderpuff schedule the patriots play this year. Un-freaking-real. The patriots play three hard games all year, steelers, colts, bolts.

We play three teams that hard in about three different 4 week spans.

The patriots will be ontop all year, and it makes me fuggin sick. Another #1 seed, and another year of playoffs that go through Foxboro. IS THERE A GOD!?!?!??!?

but really tho, They took huge hits in the secondary, and I have a feeling that Brady to Moss and Moss to Welker will not be NEARLY as effective this year, especially towards the end of the year. Teams are going to figure out something.

That, coupled with spygate and lingering questions about their superbowl O-line play, the first time a team gets to Brady, and ALL we'll hear for a week on ESPN is how their offensive line isn't playing up to par, and it's probably because they can't use theie stolen hand signals anymore

lilyoder6
05-13-2008, 01:25 PM
the g-men did take a hit as well on def.. u have wilson leaving mitchell and others.. and poss sttahan retiring.. but they should be at least top 5...

i don't think the d of the pats will be as good as it looked last yr.. evryone is a yr older and that d is like a dinosaur age... mayo will help but can do only so lil.. they will have heart difiblators on the sideline when one of the old geezers has a heart attack

Hammer Of The GODS
05-13-2008, 02:38 PM
The patriots will be ontop all year, and it makes me fuggin sick.

Couldn't have said it better!

GO BURGH!

PENS GO UP 3-0 TONIGHT!

HometownGal
05-13-2008, 03:00 PM
I usually don't pay much attention to power rankings, especially not before TC, but it is nice seeing the Steelers referred to as "Super Bowl contenders". :thumbsup:

A very strong draft catapults the Steelers into Super Bowl contenders. RBs Willie Parker and Rashard Mendenhall should be one of the best 1-2 punches. (JW)

Thunda and lightning! :tt03::tt02:

Dino 6 Rings
05-13-2008, 05:50 PM
Get used to it guys ... has anyone seen the powderpuff schedule the patriots play this year. Un-freaking-real. The patriots play three hard games all year, steelers, colts, bolts.

But they have a wicked tough West Coast Schedule. Some of those old guys might not enjoy that many Flights to the other side of the country.:sofunny:

Willem Gerber
05-14-2008, 09:18 AM

Among the top ranked teams I also think the Colts are ranked too high. The Colts are aging and we all know what impact having a coach with one foot out the door can have on a team

They may be aging,but they still have Mannig,Addai,Wayne and an extremely young defense except for Freeney

cubanstogie
05-14-2008, 12:39 PM
I think 7 is accurate at this time. I do think the Chargers are overrated. Rivers is an average QB IMO, I never seeing him getting to the elite level. We have to beat the teams ahead of us to climb up the rankings. As someone stated its not like the rankings mean didley squat. This is the highest powered Steeler offense since the mid 70's, I just hope our D can get healthy, and our special teams improve from terrible to average.

Welcome To Smashmouth
05-14-2008, 01:24 PM
I put us third in NFL.com's "Rate your 32," behind the Colts and the Cowboys. (obviously i like our chances against each and every opponent we face).

I'm sorry, but the Pats are not the best team in the league. Issue #1 with this attempt to assess the top 32 . Secondly, the Giants are not a better football team than we are.

b-b-b, but that was the superbowl matchup last year!!

yes, it was. and i believe if given an opportunity to show these two teams what we've got in the 08 season - we'll get ours

Jt- Steelers Fan
05-14-2008, 08:07 PM
Seventh is a pretty accurate rating for us. I do think we could easily be higher. The offense is the best we have had in a long time. The defense is getting old, but it still will be one of the best. I think woodley will have a great year, perhaps doubling his sack total of 4 last year. I also think the o-line is not as bad as alot of people say.

verks36
05-15-2008, 12:36 AM
I think it is pretty fair but doesnt mean squat

lilyoder6
05-15-2008, 10:32 AM
i would like to see some how the kc cheifs beat the "number 1" ranking team at NE 4 the 1st week of the season