PDA

View Full Version : Sacrifices By W For The War Effort

Atlanta Dan
05-13-2008, 07:08 PM
This story is not linked from The Onion or Comedy Central

For the first time, Bush revealed a personal way in which he has tried to acknowledge the sacrifice of soldiers and their families: He has given up golf.

“I don't want some mom whose son may have recently died to see the commander in chief playing golf,” he said. “I feel I owe it to the families to be in solidarity as best as I can with them. And I think playing golf during a war just sends the wrong signal.”

Bush said he made that decision after the August 2003 bombing of the United Nations headquarters in Baghdad, which killed Sergio Vieira de Mello, the top U.N. official in Iraq and the organization’s high commissioner for human rights.

“I remember when de Mello, who was at the U.N., got killed in Baghdad as a result of these murderers taking this good man's life,” he said. “I was playing golf — I think I was in central Texas — and they pulled me off the golf course and I said, ‘It's just not worth it anymore to do.’"

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0508/10314.html

Preacher
05-13-2008, 07:29 PM
AD.

Seriously.

I am not sure what the big deal is.

This comment was probably within a larger context of how things changed, and the president probably said what was quoted here.

What is the issue? I don't see one.

Atlanta Dan
05-13-2008, 07:47 PM
AD.

Seriously.

I am not sure what the big deal is.

This comment was probably within a larger context of how things changed, and the president probably said what was quoted here.

What is the issue? I don't see one.

The idea the Commander in Chief has an epiphany that he can show solidarity with the troops "as best I can" (that is a direct quote) by giving up golf (as opposed to mountain biking? - the moral line in the sand between the two escapes me) as he allegedly has a St. Paul on the road to Damascus moment on the links in August 2003 is beyond ludicrous.

File that nugget away the next time anyone wants to trot out the elitist card against the Dems for being out of touch with the common folk - IMO the first thing that comes to mind in terms of how best to show solidarity with the military and their families, for anyone who is not a member of the PGA, is not putting the sticks in the closet for the duration.

NJarhead
05-13-2008, 07:53 PM
Being President of the United States has to be one of the most stress filled (usually thankless) jobs there is. I have no issues if the Pres. wants tp play golf to get away from it. What he may have considered is arranging for the troops to play somewhere in the desert.

GBMelBlount
05-13-2008, 07:55 PM
The idea the Commander in Chief has an epiphany that he can show solidarity with the troops "as best I can" (that is a direct quote) by giving up golf (as opposed to mountain biking? - the moral line in the sand between the two escapes me) as he allegedly has a St. Paul on the road to Damascus moment on the links in August 2003 is beyond ludicrous.

File that nugget away the next time anyone wants to trot out the elitist card against the Dems for being out of touch with the common folk - IMO the first thing that comes to mind in terms of how best to show solidarity with the military and their families, for anyone who is not a member of the PGA, is not putting the sticks in the closet for the duration.

Perhaps he meant "as best I can" to mean this as part of an aggregate of many things....Over the course of any presidency, there are alot of unrehearsed statements that when analyzed, don't shout "nuculer scientist here!"

Atlanta Dan
05-13-2008, 07:59 PM
Perhaps he meant "as best I can" to mean this as part of an aggregate of many things....Over the course of any presidency, there are alot of unrehearsed statements that when analyzed, don't shout "nuculer scientist here!"

I certainly agree he has done more than that - it is the idea that he regards giving up golf as any sort of noble or symbolic sacrifice that is mind numbing.

NJarhead
05-13-2008, 08:02 PM
I certainly agree he has done more than that - it is the idea that he regards giving up golf as any sort of noble or symbolic sacrifice that is mind numbing.

Even though Golfers tend to throw/break clubs, golf does have a therapeutic value.

Preacher
05-13-2008, 08:03 PM
AD..

in short, I think you are reading WAY too much into this.

What I find funny is that he was critiqued for playing golf.

Then when he gives it up, because it just doesn't look good... he is critiqued.

Well, those who look for reasons to be outraged usually find it.

GBMelBlount
05-13-2008, 08:05 PM

For some, giving up golf IS the ultimate sacrifice! :chuckle:

Atlanta Dan
05-13-2008, 08:08 PM
AD..

in short, I think you are reading WAY too much into this.

What I find funny is that he was critiqued for playing golf.

Then when he gives it up, because it just doesn't look good... he is critiqued.

Well, those who look for reasons to be outraged usually find it.

You got me there - you really have to dig deep to be outraged by anything about this Presidency:sofunny:

Preacher
05-13-2008, 08:08 PM
For some, giving up golf IS the ultimate sacrifice! :chuckle:

:rofl:

AD...

I reread my last post..and the last line was a bit too pointed for how I meant it...

Basically, when someone gets to the place that they viscerily dislike someone else, everything gets read in that line of thought. that is what I think your doing now.

I don't like Bush. I don't dislike him. Seeing this article... it is a throw-away issue for me.

Thats what I meant

Preacher
05-13-2008, 08:12 PM
You got me there - you really have to dig deep to be outraged by anything about this Presidency:sofunny:

No, I just don't think THIS is the issue to get outraged over. It is a non issue.

His using and abusing the social conservatives to get votes.... That is an issue of outrage for me.

His wink wink nod nod over the Harriet Meirs(sp) pick.. THAT was an issue of outrage for me.

that he chooses to give up golfing because it doesn't look good for the commander in chief in time of war?

Well, ask the base commander what it looks like when you're on the golf course one Sunny Sunday morning Dec. 7, 1941. In this day and age, looks are more important than facts... Which is why we get the presidents we get... they can all look good... but good luck to a perosn like Bob Dole, or FDR getting elected now a days.

GBMelBlount
05-13-2008, 08:21 PM
What he may have considered is arranging for the troops to play somewhere in the desert.

I hear the "sand traps" are hell over there.

Preacher
05-13-2008, 08:30 PM
I hear the "sand traps" are hell over there.

:rofl:

Godfather
05-13-2008, 09:38 PM
Golf has picked up a bit of a bad connotation--it's a symbol for not caring. Blame that on OJ's search for the real killer as well as the infamous "I won't rest until we catch Osama, now watch this shot" clip.

tony hipchest
05-13-2008, 10:04 PM
(as opposed to mountain biking? - the moral line in the sand between the two escapes me) as he allegedly has a St. Paul on the road to Damascus moment on the links in August 2003 is beyond ludicrous.

:rofl: great (and hilarious) thread atl dan!

preacher, i dont see no outrage or getting worked up over anything. what i find funny is the mere absurdity of the presidents statement.

he wouldve been much better off if he just said-

"i have sacrificed by giving up some hobbies and things i enjoy doing on the side such as golf, because i feel any 4 hours i could spend on the golf course is 4 hours too many taken away from the american public, and the troops in iraq."

{on that note, im off to texas for a month long vacation and to plan the wedding of the century.} :chuckle:

maybe the president shouldve been playing more golf.

Preacher
05-13-2008, 10:10 PM
:rofl: great (and hilarious) thread atl dan!

preacher, i dont see no outrage or getting worked up over anything. what i find funny is the mere absurdity of the presidents statement.

he wouldve been much better off if he just said-

"i have sacrificed by giving up some hobbies and things i enjoy doing on the side such as golf, because i feel any 4 hours i could spend on the golf course is 4 hours too many taken away from the american public, and the troops in iraq."

{on that note, im off to texas for a month long vacation and to plan the wedding of the century.} :chuckle:

maybe the president shouldve been playing more golf.

Come on TH...

Nobody should expect the president to say something that actually works...

we are ALL in agreement that articulation is not his strong suit!!