PDA

View Full Version : Walter Mendenhall sighting!!!!

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-14-2008, 04:36 AM
Rashard's brother was officially seen on the field of the Iliinois State football spring practice....

I will have to check on when we are planning the athletic dinner..if nothing else I will try and ask him a couple of questions on behalf of Steelers Fever..(With Mikes permission of course)

stillers4me
05-14-2008, 08:23 AM
Good luck............and don't forget to give him a Terrible Towel as an official welcome to the Steelers Nation! :tt02:

millwalldavey
05-14-2008, 11:51 AM
I thought he went to Illinois as welll... not state...

Elvis
05-15-2008, 02:29 PM
I thought that I read he was there at Ilinois before Rashard was..
:noidea:

Galax Steeler
05-15-2008, 02:37 PM
I thought that I read he was there at Ilinois before Rashard was..
:noidea:

I was thinking the same thing.

stillers4me
05-15-2008, 05:27 PM
Some one do some research......I thought I read that he was younger than Rashard.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
05-15-2008, 07:06 PM
Some one do some research......I thought I read that he was younger than Rashard.

Walter is older than Rashard. Walter born 1-22-1986. Rashard born 6-19-1987.

http://fightingillini.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/mendenhall_walter00.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rashard_Mendenhall

Rhee Rhee
05-16-2008, 12:49 AM
wait so he's not on the practice field for illionois state? i'm a little confused.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
05-16-2008, 06:38 AM
wait so he's not on the practice field for illionois state? i'm a little confused.

He played at Illinois but he is transfering to Illinois State.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/illinois/chi-28-illinois-footballmar28,1,4560222.story

Walter seeks transfer after Rashard opts to turn pro
By Terry Bannon | Tribune reporter
9:48 PM CDT, March 27, 2008

In a January news conference called to announce his decision to enter the NFL draft with a year of eligibility remaining, Illinois running back Rashard Mendenhall said he hoped older brother Walter would get a chance to succeed him in the starting lineup.

His lobbying didn't work.

Illinois started spring practice this week without Walter Mendenhall, who is attempting to transfer to a school where he can use his final year of eligibility.

Like Mendenhall, reserve quarterback Billy Garza will not be back for a fifth year of eligibility. Both are on schedule to graduate this spring.

The Mendenhall brothers played together at Niles West, and it always was understood they would play at the same college. Walter redshirted as a freshman, was a backup linebacker in 2005 and a reserve running back the last two years.

Partially because of the success of his brother Rashard, winner of the Tribune's Silver Football as Big Ten's MVP last year, Walter found playing time scarce and considered transferring to Illinois State two years ago. He carried the ball only four times last season, all in a blowout victory at Minnesota. He finished his Illinois career with six carries for 62 yards, including a 30-yard run against Minnesota.

Meanwhile, coach Ron Zook was stocking the roster with younger running backs.

Redshirt freshman Troy Pollard, who will miss spring practice recovering from knee surgery, and junior Daniel Dufrene are the leading returnees.

Freshman Mikel LeShoure from Champaign Centennial also is getting a look in spring practice. He has been issued Rashard Mendenhall's No. 5 but looks more like a fullback at 6 feet, 240 pounds. Another freshman, Jason Ford from Belleville Althoff, will get a shot.

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-17-2008, 06:54 AM
He played at Illinois but he is transfering to Illinois State.

thank you.