PDA

View Full Version : Marvin decides it's time the Bengals added a defense to the team

stillers4me
05-14-2008, 10:35 AM
:toofunny: It's about time he thought of that.

Bengals notebook
Lewis says Bengals installing new 'D'
BY MARK CURNUTTE | MCURNUTTE@ENQUIRER.COM
Amid a relatively innocuous statement coming off the field Tuesday, following the team's first offseason practice, Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis said the team is installing a new defense.

He offered no details, but the confirmation of a new defensive scheme - following the firing of Lewis' second defensive coordinator and the hiring of his third, Mike Zimmer - comes on the heels of Lewis saying the team will stay with a four-lineman base.

"It's a good day, a good start," Lewis said after the 80-minute practice in shorts, practice jerseys and helmets. "Our goal is to come out ... we're installing a new defense. We have an opportunity for some guys who didn't play as much on offense for us to get a good head start."

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20080514/SPT02/805140371/

TackleMeBen
05-14-2008, 10:36 AM
in otherwords, they scouted all the prisons and picked the meanest guys to be on the defense???

Dino 6 Rings
05-14-2008, 12:51 PM
A new defense, as opposed to the one that didn't tackle and couldn't stuff a run for the last 7 years?

Wow, this guy is brilliant.

I wonder how long into the season he'll get before being fired?

CantStop85
05-14-2008, 12:57 PM
Right now the Bengals ideal starting defense would look like:
DE Robert Geathers (25 yo)
DT Domata Peko (24 yo)
DT Pat Sims (23 yo)
DE Antwan Odom (27 yo)

OLB Keith Rivers (22 yo)
MLB Odell Thurman (25 yo)
OLB Ahmad Brooks (24 yo)

CB Johnathan Joseph (24 yo)
CB Leon Hall (24 yo)
FS Chinedum Ndukwe (23 yo)
SS Marvin White (25 yo)

The oldest guy is Odom at 27 years old...a lot of inexperience but a lot of speed and athleticism. Definitely a lot of potential all around...as strange as it may sound, the defense could be a strong point in a couple of years for the Bengals.

Dino 6 Rings
05-14-2008, 01:13 PM
as strange as it may sound, the defense could be a strong point in a couple of years for the Bengals.

Could being the key word. not to mention with all that youth, you have contracts that need to be signed or extended. Cincy looks like a great place for good young talent to gain some experience before seeking a job with a real contender.

Galax Steeler
05-15-2008, 05:01 AM
After all these years they finally see the light and need a defense.
:toofunny:

Elvis
05-15-2008, 06:17 AM
:doh: It just seems like a defensive coach like Lewis was would have figured that out sooner Cantstop?.. Good luck with that young defense with no leadership. Lewis has over stayed his welcome and it is time for the Bengals to bite the bullet and get rid of the guy
:coffee:

lilyoder6
05-15-2008, 10:19 AM
DT Domata Peko (24 yo)
DT Pat Sims (23 yo)
DE Antwan Odom (27 yo)

OLB Keith Rivers (22 yo)
OLB Ahmad Brooks (24 yo)

CB Leon Hall (24 yo)
SS Marvin White (25 yo)

The oldest guy is Odom at 27 years old...a lot of inexperience but a lot of speed and athleticism. Definitely a lot of potential all around...as strange as it may sound, the defense could be a strong point in a couple of years for the Bengals.

i could see this def becoming good if it could stay intact.. but the onl players i like are hall, joseph, sims and rivers.. and those are prob going to make a nice career and poss leave after there contract

The Duke
05-15-2008, 04:13 PM
bengals- defense :rofl:

nice try marvin

unless he means defense attorneys :tap:

Dino 6 Rings
05-15-2008, 05:37 PM
Isn't "we need defense" what Chad has been saying all along?

Seriously though, he must be so psssed off knowing that the exact thing he's been biatching about all off season and most of last year, is now be talked about by his coach as if its Marvin's idea.

Hats off Marvin

:hatsoff:

Rhee Rhee
05-15-2008, 09:49 PM
DT Domata Peko (24 yo)
DT Pat Sims (23 yo)
DE Antwan Odom (27 yo)

OLB Keith Rivers (22 yo)
OLB Ahmad Brooks (24 yo)

CB Leon Hall (24 yo)
SS Marvin White (25 yo)

i'd say ur defense looks like a top 20 D... if the young guys quickly learn and end up playing at a decent level i might evens ay top 16... both leon hall and jon joseph are very good... robert geathers is a very good pass-rushin DE... i love odell, keith and ahmad... solid LBers that just need to stay healthy and on the field..

but your leon and jon's help over the top seems suspect although i definitely like chinedum ndukwe... (especially after his performance against the patriots...looked liek a poor man's brian urlacher switching positions like that...)

HughC
05-30-2008, 06:14 PM
This week The Sporting News ranked Defensive Tackles, and lo and behold, the Bengals landed in dead last in the AFC. Surprise, surprise.

ChronoCross
05-30-2008, 06:27 PM
85 needs to go thru and update his ideal defense list since some have been hince removed from team already.